• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it's going to be a long time until EVs cost as much as Dacia's do now. At the moment the battery alone costs nearly as much as a whole Dacia in production.

By that time autonomous services are going to be long established I feel.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
some BMW news

they plan to move up their electrified goals by two years (that includes evs and phevs)

they shown off a 711HP, 3-motor 5-series prototype
bmw-project-bev-1.jpg

they also shown off a Vision M plug-in hybrid concept that looks like a bootleg Lamborgini
bmw-vision-m-next-1.jpg

Ryu_Ken

Oct 30, 2017
Personally, I'm waiting for an electric car that can be considered truly affordable.
Something like an electric Dacia Sandero. Now that would truly be a people's electric car.
The new MG EV looks like it could be the one. based on the current mini SUV and will cost around £20k.

I am also looking forwards to the new Puegeot 208eGT next year. Looks great and should be under £30k and will probably replace my 2015 leaf.

heavy liquid

Oct 27, 2017
https://www.caranddriver.com/photos/g26537822/2020-polestar-2-photos-info-gallery/

https://www.polestar.com

The Polestar 2 can be reserved, production to start in 2020. Looks nice but the range seems to be a bit worse than Tesla.

That looks really nice! The driving range is fine for me, even if it doesn't seem to reach Tesla's. My only concern is that it's going to cost $63k in the US, which is way more than I will spend on a car. I need an electric car with this range and a price tag of at least half that.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm starting to warm up to the camera side mirrors. it's all about placement, I guess. too bad we can't have them in the US. and Honda is really going with that wide-ass screen, huh?

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
I'm starting to warm up to the camera side mirrors. it's all about placement, I guess. too bad we can't have them in the US. and Honda is really going with that wide-ass screen, huh

They should really reconsider and bring them to NA. I'd get one.

The stupid NA obsession with pickup trucks and SUV is really limiting choices for others.

200km is well within most people's commute.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They should really reconsider and bring them to NA. I'd get one.

The stupid NA obsession with pickup trucks and SUV is really limiting choices for others.

200km is well within most people's commute.
the obsession isn't the problem, it's companies thinking that means no one is buying smaller cars. despite teh shrinking market, there's still a shitton of sedans and shit being bought

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Imo Tesla could loose all its VPs and replace them with janitors. The way the competition neglects EV's Tesla would not care...

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Taycan is looking nice. Still surprised there aren't many SUV evs compared to sedan EVs, though

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Porsche folks always said their target was continuously available performance. Cool to see them achieve that. Could also be a way to differentiate between cars, burst performance or cont performance.

I also guess that Porsche wanted a car that's able to drive at least one hot lap on the Nürburg Ring with full power output, this measurement is in their DNA, same with BMW.

Tesla never gave a official crap about that metric.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
that's more than enough for a lot of people. it might not be your travel vehicle, but for day-to-day, it's good. especially if you have access to an outlet at home
and yet literally every tesla thread people are whining they can't have a Tesla that does 400 miles and costs 20k.

That'd be perfect for me. Not everyone needs the expense of a larger battery.
...that car is still going to be 50k+ most likely. at which point, again why bother. Just get a tesla for cheaper and more range.

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
...that car is still going to be 50k+ most likely. at which point, again why bother. Just get a tesla for cheaper and more range.
I know a guy who got the etron because he valued luxury over range / performance. These people exist in the 50k range too. And someone who preordered the new ev mini, simply because it looks stylish even if it's as expensive as a model 3 with way worse .... Everything regarding ev stuff.

There's people who don't care for range on a commuter/shopping car ...

Supercrap

Oct 28, 2017
Oakland Bay Area
I know a guy who got the etron because he valued luxury over range / performance. These people exist in the 50k range too. And someone who preordered the new ev mini, simply because it looks stylish even if it's as expensive as a model 3 with way worse .... Everything regarding ev stuff.

There's people who don't care for range on a commuter/shopping car ...

Lol yeah. People acting like Porsche owner's and Tesla owners are the same people. There's a totally different market out there that Tesla is going to lose because they don't produce cars that meet the expectations of people that have owned modern luxury vehicles

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017

I was tempted to make a Samsung battery joke but it seems Hyundai gets their batteries from LG not Samsung.

The Bolt uses the same manufacturer and they had a rare low voltage cell problem that resulted in a few pack replacements.

LG might have some rare manufacturing/QC problem.

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
If this were a Tesla...

Why even bother? 186 miles is more like ~150 usable.
So if I let it run down to near empty before charge, I have to charge it twice a month? Seems terribly inconvenient.

:p

edit:
Taycan still looking good. The consistency and available frequency of the launch control mode is amazing. I hadn't even considered there would be a single motor RWD variant. Great that there's are options coming down the line. It's definitely pulling ahead vs the E-Tron GT for me.

Last edited:

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
So if I let it run down to near empty before charge, I have to charge it twice a month? Seems terribly inconvenient.

:p

edit:
Taycan still looking good. The consistency and available frequency of the launch control mode is amazing. I hadn't even considered there would be a single motor RWD variant. Great that there's are options coming down the line. It's definitely pulling ahead vs the E-Tron GT for me.
you drive 300 miles a month? thats well outside the norm since the average in america is like 20k a year.

we've put 12k miles on our model 3 since january 1st.

SteveMeister

Oct 31, 2017
I was tempted to make a Samsung battery joke but it seems Hyundai gets their batteries from LG not Samsung.

The Bolt uses the same manufacturer and they had a rare low voltage cell problem that resulted in a few pack replacements.

LG might have some rare manufacturing/QC problem.

Anecdotal, but there are 5 Bolt owners where I work including myself, and none of us has had any issues. Mine's approaching 70k miles with no noticeable reduction in charging capacity or other battery related issues.

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
That'd be perfect for me. Not everyone needs the expense of a larger battery.

Actually you still are paying the expense it has a larger battery than Model 3, Audi just is terrible with efficiency

Why even bother? 186 miles is more like ~150 usable.

It's worse than that 186 WLPT translates to about 150 EPA at best so you are looking at maybe 120 real world.... The rumor is they are keeping it in Europe only as to not be embarrassed by the EPA rating selling a car with a 70 kwh battery with that low of range here.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Actually you still are paying the expense it has a larger battery than Model 3, Audi just is terrible with efficiency

It's worse than that 186 WLPT translates to about 150 EPA at best so you are looking at maybe 120 real world.... The rumor is they are keeping it in Europe only as to not be embarrassed by the EPA rating selling a car with a 70 kwh battery with that low of range here.
i was way off on the price too, i didnt read the article. It *starts* at 74k USD. you can get a model S or X for that.

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
you drive 300 miles a month? thats well outside the norm since the average in america is like 20k a year.

I've had my current car for almost 11 years (still enjoying that sweet lack of car payments & lower insurance rates) and have only put 40k or so on it. So, pretty much, yea. Doing the math, I only do around slightly over 303 miles a month. Granted the wife has her own car and more often than not we'll take hers if we're heading out, but I don't need anything with much greater range. Especially since one could just charge it overnight whenever.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
This is how the production model of the Taycan will probably look like (stickers removed with Photoshop)

22c8992c-cfa3-473f-96a2jts.png

85e8821b-4668-48b6-af8bj0d.png

c9fb95cd-e9de-4c0b-a4vgj91.png

77b5da5e-877f-45fd-b57yj5r.png

Taycanforum | GyAkUsOu

vitamind

Nov 1, 2018
I don't know if I can mention hybrids here, but I recently bought a '19 Honda Insight and I love the car. I easily get 50+ mph in city and trying to figure out still how to get the most out of it on the highway.

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can you really compare a situation where one has no competition at all, to one where there are three players on the field? Looking at the combined sells of the three SUV they seem to eat X's marketshare. Which, given the total numbers seems rather strange, there has to be more demand as a whole then just 1500 ev luxury SUVs per month?

Rather interesting and on this topic : Audi / Jaguar eating Tesla's high end sales

Last edited:

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ

According to google the average in the US is just over 13k miles a year. That's still 1100 per month which is a lot more than the posters 300. But its definitely not 20k, which is well above average.