• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
I love this thread, especially calling it electric VEHICLES, not electric cars, OT. So I'm very disappointed that I see nothing but cars in the thread. Electric cars = multiple thousands or pounds of metal which simply drives up cost and hampers performance. It's simply not efficient. And in a world where most ppl only drive themselves 80% of their driving life, having 4+ seats is wasteful for most situations.

So let's talk about an electric vehicle you can REALLY afford WITHOUT gov incentives because it does things much more efficiently: Arcimoto SRK 8

WEB_ID20150219ArcimotoEmergingMarketsVariant_101_COVER2_1800.jpg

arcimoto.jpg

CanvasDoors_red004a_shadowedit.png

Vehicle-fleet_Mark@1x.jpg

Tandem 2 seater trike with safety cage and 2 wheel independent front wheel electric drive (torque vectoring). 13 KWHr battery pack gives you 70 mile range in the $11,900 base model, and 130 mile range in the $16,000ish 20 KWHr model. 7.5 second 0-60mph, 80mph governed top speed. Super stable and maneuverable due to low COG and dual motors. Enclosures can be added for harsh weather, you can even convert the thing into a delivery trike. Do you want affordable electric vehicle for commute or putting around town? Well here ya go.

They have delivered their first customer vehicles this summer for their brand ambassadors like Nathan Fillion and full production will starts at the end of the year. You can reserve yours for $100 right now. I test rode one at last year's LA Auto show and I was immediately sold. It's fun as hell, and perfect for commuting around LA.

https://youtu.be/JYIF7TBeWiU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMGHG1szm3Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmeSFIXCT7w

Stuff like this would be great for large cities, if you're someone who doesn't leave the city often. I'd really like to see more of these types of things around. I'd imagine they'd be uncomfortable in the winter though.

dejay

Nov 5, 2017
It's a shame the allocation is seemingly so poor, the Kona EV has rightly been receiving some incredible reviews thanks to its real world 250+ miles range. It has the potential to be one of the best selling EVs but I feel like production volume will hold it back. I wonder if battery production is holding it back or they underestimated demand.

I have an Ioniq Hybrid (non-plugin) and my current plan is to upgrade to a second hand Kona EV in say 4 years or so.
Hyundai / Kia have apparently found a second source of batteries so hopefully they can ramp up production.

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Drove the kona ev the other week. Man these center buttons remind me of emergency telephones for old people.
Fun car otherwise even if the mandatory EV sound gets really annoying driving it.

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are those required by law?

I've scared the fuck out of people sneaking up on them with an EV unintentionally.
Yeah, some had it so that the sound could be turned off (Leaf etc) but newer cars have to have this sound on ALWAYS, at least in EU, afaik.

In the Kona its a rather high pitched futuristic star trek sound that imo is really annoying in the cabin since the acoustic insulation does not seem that good.

Rival

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Midlands
Been driving the Jaguar Ipace for the past two weeks, phenomenal vehicle. Honestly it's the riding EV I've driven thus far, all around premium quality.

That being said I feel the range takes a larger beating when racing around like a yob, than say in a Tesla. Driving normally provides you with the expected range though.

Also dare I say the Tesla just has a little more ... I dunno, fun and drama to it?

Seen a Model 3 on sight last week so hopefully I'll get a loan of that and see how it compares to the fantastic S and IPace

jjreamPop

Oct 25, 2017
Uhhhg are there anymore Volt/Clarity Plug-In Hybrids coming down the pipeline? I want another range extending but, oh my god. The Ioniq only gets 30 miles. That isn't even enough to drive to my parents. And similarly-priced EVs don't have enough range for my weekend journeys... or they don't look great.

Argyle

Oct 25, 2017
Uhhhg are there anymore Volt/Clarity Plug-In Hybrids coming down the pipeline? I want another range extending but, oh my god. The Ioniq only gets 30 miles. That isn't even enough to drive to my parents. And similarly-priced EVs don't have enough range for my weekend journeys... or they don't look great.

GM just announced they are killing the Volt this week :(

(How far do you need to drive?)

Rivian just announced their electric pickup truck. I have no need for a truck but it looks pretty good on paper to someone like me who doesn't know anything about trucks :) It seems pricey but I hear stories about how people spend a lot on their trucks these days...

https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/26...electric-pickup-price-specs-la-auto-show-2018

jjreamPop

Oct 25, 2017
GM just announced they are killing the Volt this week :(

(How far do you need to drive?)

Rivian just announced their electric pickup truck. I have no need for a truck but it looks pretty good on paper to someone like me who doesn't know anything about trucks :) It seems pricey but I hear stories about how people spend a lot on their trucks these days...

https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/26...electric-pickup-price-specs-la-auto-show-2018

Yep just heard as well. 52 miles was more than enough for my commute, so maybe I'll get a Clarity next, or just go full electric. I won't have to worry about a new car for a few years, hopefully. Hell, I won't be done paying this one off by then anyway.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Yep just heard as well. 52 miles was more than enough for my commute, so maybe I'll get a Clarity next, or just go full electric. I won't have to worry about a new car for a few years, hopefully. Hell, I won't be done paying this one off by then anyway.

What range, budget are you looking for?

jjreamPop

Oct 25, 2017
What range, budget are you looking for?

I have a Volt right now, so I'm not in a rush to buy another car unless something affordable wows me or my car gets totalled.

I'd love another range extending that gets 50 miles on battery, or a full electric that gets at least 200. But the vehicles that meet those requirements are way over my current budget (new, anyway).

I pretty much only going to buy used, and even then I'm not willing to pay more than $30k.

So if I were to be in the market for another car, I think that narrows my choices down to a used Clarity or a Bolt haha.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
So if I were to be in the market for another car, I think that narrows my choices down to a used Clarity or a Bolt haha

I think that's pretty much it. Depends if you have any incentives.

Although the upcoming Hyundai Kona EV and Kia Niro PHEV/EV might fit the bill. Might be hard to find one though.

Argyle

Oct 25, 2017
I think that's pretty much it. Depends if you have any incentives.

Although the upcoming Hyundai Kona EV and Kia Niro PHEV/EV might fit the bill. Might be hard to find one though.

If they are waiting a few years a used Tesla Model 3 might be in their price range, too. Used Niro/Kona EV or Bolt may also be possibilities.

Maybe even a used (or new, after incentives) long range Leaf, which was set to be announced soon but will now be delayed because the head of Nissan was just arrested: https://jalopnik.com/the-long-range-nissan-leaf-is-delayed-because-of-the-ca-1830654023/amp

Oct 28, 2017
That Kona EV looks like the business, but doesn't have much info available yet. Meanwhile, I can snag a Bolt for around 27k after the tax credit right now. Decisions, decisions...

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
That Kona EV looks like the business, but doesn't have much info available yet. Meanwhile, I can snag a Bolt for around 27k after the tax credit right now. Decisions, decisions...

Test drove a Bolt in June that also happened to be the perfect color and spec that I wanted for the hell of it. The wife fell in love with it so it's been ours ever since.

Couldn't be happier.

Chae3001

Oct 27, 2017

My wife loves her Bolt. It's a great car, but you should try to get the top of the line model with the full safety package and the 360 degree camera system. Fast charging was an option during the model year we bought it, so you need to make sure you have that option as well.

Drove it down to LA for our Thanksgiving visit, from Ventura, and back again, with roughly 1/3 of the battery left at the end. Nice driving car, plenty of pep.

SteveMeister

Oct 31, 2017
We love our Bolt, too. Already has over 50,000 miles on it :-)

I love the Rivian pickup truck. They've set a high bar for Tesla.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
Boxy front end sort of looks weird without a grille, but at least they make use of the space:
D._Rivian_R1T_Frunk_2.jpg

The pickup also has storage between the cab and the rear wheel
B._Rivian_R1T_Gear_Tunnel_2.jpg

heavy liquid

Oct 27, 2017
The Rivan SUV looks pretty cool, reminds me of a Land Rover. But at 72k for a base model, it's way too expensive for me.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
https://insideevs.com/2020-kia-soul-ev-debut-la/

The next generation Kia Soul EV celebrates its world premiere at the 2018 Los Angeles Auto Show. One of the most upbeat urban compact crossovers is back with even more appeal & upgrades. The vehicle will be powered by a next-generation, state-of-the-art liquid-cooled lithium-ion polymer 64 kWh battery. That's the same as what's found in the Kia Niro EV, which goes some 301 miles per charge (WLTP) or an estimated 260 miles EPA.

Considering that the current Soul EV, with its 30-kWh battery pack, is EPA-rated at 111 miles, we figure this 2020 Soul EV, with 64-kWh on board, will travel close to 240 miles per charge, maybe even more. Sadly, since its Kia, this will be a limited offering in the U.S., so availability will be an issue.

Nice upgrade to the Soul coming out. Limited availability though:(

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Can anyone explain the glee some people have parking in front of EV chargers in none EV cars? I'm glad I can charge at home nightly because I can't imagine having to deal with that.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone explain the glee some people have parking in front of EV chargers in none EV cars? I'm glad I can charge at home nightly because I can't imagine having to deal with that.

People are just assholes. EV chargers tend to be prime parking spots so in a busy mall some people just feel their time is more important than yours.

There's been some assholes in big trucks blocking Superchargers lately:

https://www.businessinsider.com/tru...sla-superchargers-in-ice-ing-protests-2018-12

I'm guessing that's Trump supporters that associate the size of their manhood with the size of their engine.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Just saw that we have an EV thread. Do partial EV hybrids count if we run mostly in EV mode?

I have a 2014 C Max Energi that I can get to and from work on nothing but electricity.

In a perfect world, I'll eventually be able to replace the battery cells with higher density ones and greatly increase my EV range.

heavy liquid

Oct 27, 2017

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely looking to jump to a PHEV or a full-on EV when my 2011 Prius gives up the ghost, but the pickings are so slim for my tastes. I really dislike the styling of pretty much everything except the Honda Clarity and the Jaguar I-Pace.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
never knew about this thread...

damn that screen probably cost 10k to replace.
that thing is massive.

https://electrek.co/2019/01/25/elec...-high-powered-charging-stations-safety-issue/

We still have a ways to go if they have to shut down most of their chargers over safety problems.
yea not really, VW has what 1 or 2 EVs available? I dont believe i've ever seen one.

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I don't understand the "The U.S. rejects hatchbacks" sentiment. They're all over the place in my region and pretty much always have been, so I'd love to see the ID3 and Honda E over here.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
yea not really, VW has what 1 or 2 EVs available? I dont believe i've ever seen one.

The e-golf is the only one right now. I see a lot of them and they're really nice IMO. I'd buy one.

VW have a bunch coming out. Only big non-Tesla car manufacturer going full EV. I hope the ID3 comes here.

I hope the Honda E comes here. But people drive long distances in NA and given the popularity of SUVs/CUVs I guess they don't think they'll sell.
People demand big range, whether they need it or not.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
The e-golf is the only one right now. I see a lot of them and they're really nice IMO. I'd buy one.

VW have a bunch coming out. Only big non-Tesla car manufacturer going full EV. I hope the ID3 comes here.

I hope the Honda E comes here. But people drive long distances in NA and given the popularity of SUVs/CUVs I guess they don't think they'll sell.
People demand big range, whether they need it or not.
yea people have range anxiety for cars they've never driven.

At the beginning of june we drove houston to austin slept then did austin to san antonio, back to austin in the same day, then drove around austin with our friends like regular, then drove home back to houston at the end of the weekend. It wasn't a big deal at all. I even charged on my friends 110, and it charged at 5mi/hr which was fast enough over night to give us 50 miles more of range.
i also find the projected range estimates of our tesla far better than any gas car i've ever had.

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
BMW is hosting their own motor show in June at their BMW Welt location.
Since it's called "Next Gen" I really hope some new EVs are going to be shown.

ieandrew

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm moving to Colorado and I intend to buy an EV when I do, given the state's nice tax benefit. Comparing the Chevy Bolt, Kia Niro EV, and Hyundai Kona EV. Any of them stand out?

Dec 4, 2017
Personally, I'm waiting for an electric car that can be considered truly affordable.
Something like an electric Dacia Sandero. Now that would truly be a people's electric car.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
These look really good. Kia and Hyundai have some nice product there. With SUV sales so popular, they'll be ramping up production.

Unless you want a truck or econo box, it's an SUV and crossover world now. They're just so practical. Only boomers are driving luxury sedans.

Supercrap

Oct 28, 2017
Oakland Bay Area
never knew about this thread...

damn that screen probably cost 10k to replace.
that thing is massive.

that kind of stuff seems like so much waste. I think the question for all this futuristic stuff is how long will things last and what is the ecological cost for all these "improvements"

Argyle

Oct 25, 2017
I'm moving to Colorado and I intend to buy an EV when I do, given the state's nice tax benefit. Comparing the Chevy Bolt, Kia Niro EV, and Hyundai Kona EV. Any of them stand out?

They are all fairly similar, although I think I prefer the Korean EVs personally (even if I hear the Bolt is pretty much based on LG batteries and an LG drivetrain).

That said if you're looking to buy soon, it looks like you can get a really good deal on a Bolt, which I think is the only one with anything resembling wide availability of those three:

(I wonder if the cheaper Model 3s are eating GM's lunch...)