• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sigma722

Oct 26, 2017
The Model3 is the best right now(if price or the CEO's Twitter feed isn't an issue). A Model3 frequently charges next to me at work and I think it looks great. I might have to get used to the giant iPad in the dash. Not sure if my wife would like it though

I think it's really easy to get used to personally. The speedometer was a very minor adjustment. If you are someone that is constantly fiddling with everything, then you might run into troubles, but generally most things are "static" and can be reviewed via glances.

The car is absolutely a thrill to drive though.

Argyle

Oct 25, 2017
You can add the VW I.D. Buzz to vehicles on the horizon. VW plans to release it for the 2022 model year.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/volkswagen-id-buzz-ev-concept-photos-and-info-news

I agree we should add this, maybe we should add an expected delivery date to the entries in the future cars so that people know when to expect them.

Only downside is only 125 mile range and only forced air cooled battery(it can charge up to 100kW speed I wonder how that battery hold up over time in warmer climate).

No way I would buy an EV in a hot climate without active cooling in the battery management system. I have a three year old Kia Soul EV that is starting to show signs of significant degradation (it only has a fan to cool the battery), fortunately my lease is ending soon.

e-Golf discontinued? Huh? VW just released a facelift in 2017 coinciding with Golf MK7.5.
http://www.vw.com/models/e-golf.45412.m.m/section/masthead/

My mistake if it is still being sold, they are unavailable in my area (and thus I have never seen a single one) so it's hard for me to check...when I Googled it I only got info for the 2017 model which made it seem like there is no 2018 model.

Edit: on the other hand there is this:

As some of those reading this may have heard by now, Volkswagen will apparently be ceasing the sale of all-electric versions of the Golf (the e-Golf) — already a model which the company throttles the production and deliveries of in order to keep numbers low — starting with the coming model year.

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/04/3...focus-on-48v-hybrid-instead-raises-questions/

Edit 2: 10 cars left for sale in the US as of mid July.
https://www.greencarreports.com/new...as-company-prepares-for-id-crozz-electric-car

Last edited:

DrM

Oct 26, 2017
Slovenia
The Ioniq is probably the best entry level right now, starts at 35k in Canada and looks pretty nice. I see quote a lot up here . It's also pretty impressive engineering on its own it's the most efficient EV right now IIRC.

Only downside is only 125 mile range and only forced air cooled battery(it can charge up to 100kW speed I wonder how that battery hold up over time in warmer climate).
My friend, who is Hyundai mechanic, told me today that Ioniq will get a battery with better capacity next year. So if somebody is interested in it, it would be wise to wait a bit.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
My mistake if it is still being sold, they are unavailable in my area (and thus I have never seen a single one) so it's hard for me to check...when I Googled it I only got info for the 2017 model which made it seem like there is no 2018 model.

Edit: on the other hand there is this:

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/04/3...focus-on-48v-hybrid-instead-raises-questions/

Edit 2: 10 cars left for sale in the US as of mid July.
https://www.greencarreports.com/new...as-company-prepares-for-id-crozz-electric-car

Well, as long as VW are saying it's still in production....it also makes no sense to halt production when the I.D. cars are not coming until 2020.
Also, VW has a pretty tiny marketshare (2%) in the States, makes sense their EVs have an even smaller presence.
But in Europe it's the 7th best selling EV/Hybrid Plug-in car, sandwiched between Golf GTE no.6 and Passat GTE at no.8. Tesla Model S is at no.5
The sales of the e-Golf has a 100% increase YoY from 2016 to 2017. It's the biggest increase of any EV/Plug-in hybrid in Europe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plug-in_electric_vehicles_in_Europe#Top_selling_plug-in_models

Argyle

Oct 25, 2017
Well, as long as VW are saying it's still in production....it also makes no sense to halt production when the I.D. cars are not coming until 2020.
Also, VW has a pretty tiny marketshare (2%) in the States, makes sense their EVs have an even smaller presence.
But in Europe it's the 7th best selling EV/Hybrid Plug-in car, sandwiched between Golf GTE no.6 and Passat GTE at no.8. Tesla Model S is at no.5
The sales of the e-Golf has a 100% increase YoY from 2016 to 2017. It's the biggest increase of any EV/Plug-in hybrid in Europe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plug-in_electric_vehicles_in_Europe#Top_selling_plug-in_models

If they're still available in Europe it should probably get moved off the discontinued list. It sounds like even at best they only sold a few hundred a month in the US.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I'm in absolutely no way a car person, but for some reason I've been very interested in electric vehicles. I would absolutely love to own one someday, but if I were to buy one right now, it would be between the Bolt, Model S, or Model 3.

The Bolt is the most classic of the bunch. It's seemingly a very normal car with no real surprises, except it's also a great performing EV, and I like that a lot. Plus, even though it doesn't have Autopilot, it still has plenty of features and technology.

I love the Model 3 because of Autopilot and its even better performance and range. The Supercharging network and faster charging also make it much more convenient for long trips. But that said, so much of its design is annoyingly "form over function" like the minimalist dash, and if you have a door handle that you need to explain how to even use, then it's a terrible design choice.

The Model S seems like the best of both of these worlds. It has the technology and performance, plus it has more of the "normalcy" of a regular car. But it's a lot more expensive. It's also rather long, apparently. Living in NYC, I'd rather a shorter car for easier parking.

It's only something fun to think about for me, I'm not buying a car anytime soon. Heck, I didn't even know creep was a thing until I took driving lessons a few months ago lol. But I really hope for more EVs to come out so that by the time I am shopping for one, I can buy the perfect one.

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So BMW teased/showed their iNEXT concept car. >600km WLTP; 0-100 under 4sec. Sad that they didn't post full specs. I like the design, but since I also like the i3 and i8 design, I could be in the minority :D

Falls in line with their other iConcept cars, two of witch are imo very close to the production versions so I expect the usual changes but nothing drastic going forward. More pictures here.

i3Concept, i8Concept, iNextConcept, i4Concept:

0cab40-1537095935.png

3a6427-1537096230.png

OP
OP
FliX

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
So BMW teased/showed their iNEXT concept car. >600km WLTP; 0-100 under 4sec. Sad that they didn't post full specs. I like the design, but since I also like the i3 and i8 design, I could be in the minority :D

Falls in line with their other iConcept cars, two of witch are imo very close to the production versions so I expect the usual changes but nothing drastic going forward. More pictures here.

0cab40-1537095935.png

3a6427-1537096230.png
I agree they all look hot.

Ryu_Ken

Oct 30, 2017
I'd like to add that government incentives have led used prices on these first wave of EVs to plummet. I picked up my LEAF at less than a third of the original MSRP. So, while the original leasees/owners see a benefit from the incentive, their savings are passed on to future owners.
Here in the UK we have seen a rise in used leaf prices as they have become more popular.

I picked up my 2yr old Tekna (24)in March for £11k and 12 months before that the prices were around £9.5k for a similar aged car.

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
I love this thread, especially calling it electric VEHICLES, not electric cars, OT. So I'm very disappointed that I see nothing but cars in the thread. Electric cars = multiple thousands or pounds of metal which simply drives up cost and hampers performance. It's simply not efficient. And in a world where most ppl only drive themselves 80% of their driving life, having 4+ seats is wasteful for most situations.

So let's talk about an electric vehicle you can REALLY afford WITHOUT gov incentives because it does things much more efficiently: Arcimoto SRK 8

WEB_ID20150219ArcimotoEmergingMarketsVariant_101_COVER2_1800.jpg

arcimoto.jpg

CanvasDoors_red004a_shadowedit.png

Vehicle-fleet_Mark@1x.jpg

Tandem 2 seater trike with safety cage and 2 wheel independent front wheel electric drive (torque vectoring). 13 KWHr battery pack gives you 70 mile range in the $11,900 base model, and 130 mile range in the $16,000ish 20 KWHr model. 7.5 second 0-60mph, 80mph governed top speed. Super stable and maneuverable due to low COG and dual motors. Enclosures can be added for harsh weather, you can even convert the thing into a delivery trike. Do you want affordable electric vehicle for commute or putting around town? Well here ya go.

They have delivered their first customer vehicles this summer for their brand ambassadors like Nathan Fillion and full production will starts at the end of the year. You can reserve yours for $100 right now. I test rode one at last year's LA Auto show and I was immediately sold. It's fun as hell, and perfect for commuting around LA.

https://youtu.be/JYIF7TBeWiU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMGHG1szm3Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmeSFIXCT7w

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't that a more expensive Renault Twizy? The Twizy bombed hard (like the i3), people don't seem to be that eco-friendly when buying EVs - short range seems to be a real dealbreaker even if it would be a more eco-friendly move for people living in urban areas.

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
Twizy had like 30 mph top speed and 50 mile range. Not practical enough.

Also, Twizy's price excluded the battery pack and you had to lease the battery with monthly fee. Stupid.

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there really that much of a difference between 50 or 70 miles? I mean, of course there is but in practice in a city. Hope they succeed, would be really cool to see smaller businesses using them for transportation of their goods etc.

Seeing a lot of Emmy scooters in Munich - seems they are a shared fleet, look awesome - vintage with modern full EV engines. Perfect.

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
Is there really that much of a difference between 50 or 70 miles? I mean, of course there is but in practice in a city. Hope they succeed, would be really cool to see smaller businesses using them for transportation of their goods etc.
The difference isn't the range per se but the quality of the experience per mile.

In the Twizy, you were afraid of being run over by other vehicles because it was so slow. The reason it was able to give you 50 miles range is because you were limited to those impractical speeds.

With the SRK8, you can zip along with the traffic no problem. Often, you are faster and quicker than the other cars in traffic. It's a totally different experience.

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thats true. The SRK8 makes me want a BMW C1 EV. It just makes to much sense so of course BMW is not going to revive it :(

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, Tesla announces a new rim design -> 10 page threat on era. Audi announce their take on EVs -> nothing.

What's your take on the new e tron? I like it a lot.

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Man, Tesla announces a new rim design -> 10 page threat on era. Audi announce their take on EVs -> nothing.

What's your take on the new e tron? I like it a lot.
What new or noteworthy thing is the E-Tron bringing to the EV market? Best range? Best performance? Best interior room? Best charging infrastructure? It's a $75K SUV that isn't really being any significant be grounds.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
New Audi looks nice. And with something that I can actually call an interior.

Etron_0400017_AB_30.jpg

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What new or noteworthy thing is the E-Tron bringing to the EV market? Best range? Best performance? Best interior room? Best charging infrastructure? It's a $75K SUV that isn't really being any significant be grounds.
Fastest charging (150KW), new digital side mirrors (Oled displays in A pilar) to get an SUV to 0,28cw, A8 quality interior. Cheaper then an Model X.

Had Tesla announced a digital sidemirror there would be a 10+ page thread on Era.

SteveMeister

Oct 31, 2017
Well, that's disappointing. Not even mentioning the range of e-tron Quattro almost guarantees it'll be disappointing. Tesla really does have a lock on battery efficiency.

Really nice car though.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I have a Golf GTE which I had to wait nearly a year for. Its a 2 year lease that I got for a steal and I'm already worrying about what I'm going to be able to replace it with.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Had Tesla announced a digital sidemirror there would be a 10+ page thread on Era.

Tesla kind of has the mindshare lead on EVs so this shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Other manufacturers have been pretending EVs don't exist besides the compliance vehicles they've been making. Reap what you sow.

That will change in a few years but this is where we are now.

fwpx

Oct 26, 2017
I dipped my toe in to the electric world with my 2017 Volt...just waiting to see how viable everything is going to be in the coming years. Might go full electric for my commute only (pretty much) car in 2020/2021.

Mr. Shakedown

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
I'm very much leaning electric for a number of reasons, not the least of which is the environment. I'm currently working with a few dealers in my area to get a bit of an educational session and test drive for a Chevy Bolt EV. I've watched a few videos reviewing and critiquing the car and it very much looks like the kind of ride I can have some fun with, and it seems to have a great range too.

No (or at least less) maintenance is another deciding factor, cause seriously fuuuuuuck tune-ups and oil changes. I'm ready for the electric future!

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...soline-fan-picks-up-pace-in-electric-vehicles

Mazda Motor Corp. laid out plans to revamp its product lineup, saying that all its vehicles will come with electric power by 2030. Five percent of the cars will be fully battery-powered by that year, and 95 percent will combine an electric motor with an internal-combustion engine, the Hiroshima, Japan-based company said Tuesday.

Mazda on Tuesday announced plans for two electric models, including one powered solely by battery. The other pairs a battery with a so-called range extender powered by a rotary engine, which recharges the battery when necessary to increase the driving range.

The automaker now aims to introduce its first electric vehicle by 2020, a year later than originally planned.

My last 2 cars were Mazdas, shame they're so late to the party.

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
I'm very much leaning electric for a number of reasons, not the least of which is the environment. I'm currently working with a few dealers in my area to get a bit of an educational session and test drive for a Chevy Bolt EV. I've watched a few videos reviewing and critiquing the car and it very much looks like the kind of ride I can have some fun with, and it seems to have a great range too.

No (or at least less) maintenance is another deciding factor, cause seriously fuuuuuuck tune-ups and oil changes. I'm ready for the electric future!
I'd imagine you can get some great deals on Bolts atm...

Walter White

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What are the thoughts on a used electric? They seem to be pretty cheap for some models. Not sure how milage and battery life would be and if I'd be needing to replace the battery in a few years or even the cost of doing so. Figured a starter used one might be a good way to dip the toes into the future of driving.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
What are the thoughts on a used electric? They seem to be pretty cheap for some models. Not sure how milage and battery life would be and if I'd be needing to replace the battery in a few years or even the cost of doing so. Figured a starter used one might be a good way to dip the toes into the future of driving.

Used LEAF are a good buy if you don't live in a hot climate and their range fits your driving needs.
Don't buy one from California, Florida etc. and if the owner took care of it and didn't put on too much mileage the battery should be good.

Most LEAF ads post a picture of the dash. If you see 12 bars the battery is pretty much 100%. Avoid the ones with much less.

Mr. Shakedown

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
My last 2 cars were Mazdas, shame they're so late to the party.

I'm a current Mazda 3 owner, I'd LOVE to upgrade to a Mazda 3 EV at some point. 2020 vehicle is probably an electric Mazda 2 though.

I got to test drive a 2018 Leaf the other day and I was impressed! Smooth ride, quick acceleration, and the Nissan pilot assist technology is amazing. Basically you set a max speed and it adjusts on the fly based on traffic and driver defined proximity limit. Truly automated cruise control, the car almost drives itself. If I pull the trigger next year the 2019 Leaf is a serious contender, but I may wait a bit to see what Mazda has in store cause I know I'll kick myself if they make a badass electric version of the 3.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a current Mazda 3 owner, I'd LOVE to upgrade to a Mazda 3 EV at some point. 2020 vehicle is probably an electric Mazda 2 though.

I got to test drive a 2018 Leaf the other day and I was impressed! Smooth ride, quick acceleration, and the Nissan pilot assist technology is amazing. Basically you set a max speed and it adjusts on the fly based on traffic and driver defined proximity limit. Truly automated cruise control, the car almost drives itself. If I pull the trigger next year the 2019 Leaf is a serious contender, but I may wait a bit to see what Mazda has in store cause I know I'll kick myself if they make a badass electric version of the 3.

I loved my Mazda3. I got a Mazda5 now. If they are smart they're working on an EV Mazda3 or CX-5.

I see a lot of Gen2 Leafs on the road. It'd be a winner if that battery had any active cooling.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
Rimac has done so incredibly well for themselves, I'm shocked. I thought they were going to be one pump chumps like the Fiskers of the world.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.blog.google/products/maps/get-charged-google-maps/

Google Maps now supports charging stations around the world, including:

Global: Tesla, Chargepoint

US: SemaConnect, EVgo, Blink

UK: Chargemaster, Pod Point

AU & NZ: Chargefox

The ability to search for electric vehicle charging stations starts rolling out today on Android and iOS, with desktop launching in the coming weeks. To get started on mobile, update your Google Maps app from the App Store or Play Store today.

Google getting in the game finally although this is a fraction of what's out there.

lidmat

Banned
Jun 18, 2018
The Chevrolet Bolt has a feature that allows you to charge 90% of your battery. This way, you can convert the potential energy stored in the car, if available, to chemical energy (in the battery). It's called Hill-top Reserve.

I know Tesla recommends a 90% charge, but I think that's due to regulations and battery degradation.

Argyle

Oct 25, 2017
The Chevrolet Bolt has a feature that allows you to charge 90% of your battery. This way, you can convert the potential energy stored in the car, if available, to chemical energy (in the battery). It's called Hill-top Reserve.

I know Tesla recommends a 90% charge, but I think that's due to regulations and battery degradation.

Doesn't pretty much every EV have a charge limit setting these days?

Most manufacturers set a reserve at the top to keep you from charging to 100% (because charging to 100% and letting the car sit like that for long periods of time will cause battery degradation), Tesla will let you really charge to 100% which is why they recommend charging no more than 90% for daily use.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017

0cab40-1537095935.png

3a6427-1537096230.png

I really like the I8 want to somehow get one myself, though as its 80k or so I don't think I'll ever have enough for it....

SliChillax

Oct 30, 2017
Tirana, Albania
My friend, who is Hyundai mechanic, told me today that Ioniq will get a battery with better capacity next year. So if somebody is interested in it, it would be wise to wait a bit.
Can you ask your friend if it's possible to upgrade to the larger battery? I bought my Ioniq in 2017 and I'm loving except I would love if it sid 100 more miles.

lidmat

Banned
Jun 18, 2018
Doesn't pretty much every EV have a charge limit setting these days?

Most manufacturers set a reserve at the top to keep you from charging to 100% (because charging to 100% and letting the car sit like that for long periods of time will cause battery degradation), Tesla will let you really charge to 100% which is why they recommend charging no more than 90% for daily use.

Yes, but the Bolt allows you to fill up that 10% using the downhill slope. Do other automakers do that?

Argyle

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but the Bolt allows you to fill up that 10% using the downhill slope. Do other automakers do that?

Yes, every EV that I know of has regenerative braking?

I mean, that is basically all that "feature" is, don't charge to full, use regen to recharge the battery down the hill. If you charged to 100% there would be nowhere for the energy to go, thus no regen.

DrM

Oct 26, 2017
Slovenia
Can you ask your friend if it's possible to upgrade to the larger battery? I bought my Ioniq in 2017 and I'm loving except I would love if it sid 100 more miles.
Will ask him when I see him, if he has some new info about it or if it was only a unconfirmed information on company internal channels.

Meanwhile Kona EV 2018 european allocation got sold out in a two weeks, 75% of cars will go to Norway.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
modern cars are so damn ugly. all of them going for that transformers aesthetic and cheap tech-gimmicks. I would happily buy an ev with the aesthetic of the e38.

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Will ask him when I see him, if he has some new info about it or if it was only a unconfirmed information on company internal channels.

Meanwhile Kona EV 2018 european allocation got sold out in a two weeks, 75% of cars will go to Norway.
It's a shame the allocation is seemingly so poor, the Kona EV has rightly been receiving some incredible reviews thanks to its real world 250+ miles range. It has the potential to be one of the best selling EVs but I feel like production volume will hold it back. I wonder if battery production is holding it back or they underestimated demand.

I have an Ioniq Hybrid (non-plugin) and my current plan is to upgrade to a second hand Kona EV in say 4 years or so.