• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

amon37

Oct 27, 2017
Then one we have now is not heating anymore and the switch to turn it on is breaking.

A quick Amazon shows most between about 20 and 40 dollars with some outliers at over 100. Most holding about a liter of liquid.

Are these something that just work or is their brand/model preference.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Just use the microwave?
tenor.gif

goodcow

Oct 25, 2017
Got one Zojirushi at home, and one at my desk at work. 10+ years old, made in Japan, still works like new. Pricey, but worth it.

FunkyPajamas

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unless you're looking for a specific (good) brand (KitchenAid, Cuisinart, etc) I'd say anything with more than 2k reviews and 4.5 stars should be good enough.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
America's Test Kitchen picked this one:

Or this one for a smaller kettle:

I trust them with just about everything.
Unless you're looking for a specific (good) brand (KitchenAid, Cuisinart, etc) I'd say anything with more than 2k reviews and 4.5 stars should be good enough.
Careful with this thinking; use websites like FakeSpot to find bullshit reviewed items that fit exactly into what you described.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
We have this Cuisinart one at the top of the Wirecutter article, but a generation or 2 older:

thewirecutter.com

The Best Electric Kettle

Through multiple rounds of testing since 2013, the Cuisinart CPK-17 has remained our favorite electric kettle. It’s fast, accurate, and easy to use—all at a great price.

I actually wish I had one with a goose neck like the Oxo one. I didn't do pourover coffee back when we got this as a wedding gift, but now I do, and I wish I had a gooseneck.

Just use the microwave?

And there goes the fucking thread

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I bought the cheapo Amazon Basics one and it has worked great. No need to overthink it.

I'm also American, by the way. We aren't all savages.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
But you have a microwave anyway, and you can't microwave with a kettle..

I mean you might as well throw some water in a pot on the hob if you really can't put a mug in the microwave.
I can't imagine making coffee or tea by warming water in the microwave. Kettle is much more convenient, keeps the water temp regulated for a long time, doesn't smell like whatever I cooked last, etc.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
But you have a microwave anyway, and you can't microwave with a kettle..

I mean you might as well throw some water in a pot on the hob if you really can't put a mug in the microwave.

Take the mug out of the microwave. Now try and pour the water in a controlled stream into a pour over. Now grab a towel as you just spilled hot water all over the counter.

This is why some of us need a kettle.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
ok hold on wait real talk alright tell me this TELL ME THIS
I've got an electric kettle here and work and its dope but yeah if you have a microwave why dont you do that outside of temperature control

actually hold on why the fuck would you use a microwave i just schooled myself

Oct 26, 2017
Get one that has a couple of temperature settings. For some things it's convenient to stop at a lower temperature than boiling.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Why would I have a microwave when I have a perfectly good toaster oven? (and electric kettle)
Air fryer, kettle, stove/oven, toaster... I do technically have a microwave, though, because one was in the house when I bought it. (built into the cabinetry) I'll admit, I do use it sometimes to reheat coffee if my wife makes it for me and I completely forget about it for an hour or two.