• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is the better Elders Scrolls game to get?

• Morrowind GOTY Edition

Votes: 156 61.7%
  • Oblivion GOTY Edition

Votes: 77 30.4%
  • Get Both

Votes: 20 7.9%

• Total voters
Apr 27, 2018
Thinking of buying either Oblivion or Morrowind GOTY. Could only buy one.

Which one is the better game? Which one has the better mod support? And what are the pros and cons of each?

I also saw the Deluxe upgrade for Oblivion (which is $3 more). Is there any benefits to owning that version?

Can these games run on Windows 10 as well?

Thank you!

Edit: Just bought Morrowind GOTY Edition. Thank you!

Last edited:

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
Thinking of buying either Oblivion or Morrowind GOTY. Could only buy one.

Which one is the better game? Which one has the better mod support? And what are the pros and cons of each?

I also saw the Deluxe upgrade for Oblivion (which is $3 more). Is there any benefits to owning that version?

Can these games run on Windows 10 as well?

Thank you!
Last time I had issues on Windows 7, and Morrowind III is harder to fix(imo). I would stick with Oblivion, while preparing yourself for ritheroptimizing your character to face level scaling, either using a mod to tweak it

Deleted member 54320

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 28, 2019
London
Honestly, I would say Oblivion because I hate the dice roll combat of Morrowind. If I hit an enemy with a sword, it best connect unless I'm ten miles away.

Force_XXI

Oct 29, 2017
I voted Morrowind , I think its the better game, but both need some heavy modding imo unless you just like vanilla experiences, havent had a problem on Win 10 yet

Deleted member 43872

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 24, 2018
Morrowind runs fine on Windows 10 with just a few tweaks (keep PCGW bookmarked).

This might be controversial, but I consider Skyrim a strict improvement on Oblivion. Nearly everything Oblivion tries to do, Skyrim does better. Morrowind is a more unique experience, so it's the one that's better to go back to even though it's the jankier of the two. It's more in touch with its CRPG roots, it gives the player more freedom to break it in fun ways, and it has the more interesting setting.

magatsu124

May 11, 2018
I was never able to get past the horrible combat in Morrowind, but Oblivion i played through multiple times. So Oblivion would be my choice.

Dega

Oct 25, 2017
Morrowind is the better game. If you can't stand the combat system though then go Oblivion I guess.

Erevador

Oct 25, 2017
Morrowind is a very special game. It achieves a special kind of immersion. The open world feels alien, but fully realized. The lore feels so specific. The architecture tells you about the culture you are entering.

I love that the game doesn't immediately make you feel like a superhero. You're just some ex-prisoner let go in a strange and hostile land. The locals eye you with suspicion. There is tension and detail everywhere.

The game has an insane amount of content. Mages Guild, Fighters Guild, Thieves Guild, Imperial Legion, Imperial Cult, The Temple, and several different great houses. All of these have fully fleshed out quest lines. Most involve multiple quest givers and multiple hubs. Almost all of this content is totally optional, you can ignore or dive into it as you please.

I think it is still the best Elder Scrolls game by far.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Morrowind is incredible but unless you are familiar with it "from its time" then I think it could be very difficult to get into it - classic rpg "chance" based combat doesn't work very well with realtime mechanical combat, it's a bit silly how you "miss" at the beginning constantly despite visually hitting with every swing, plus its very immersive in a way that it doesnt spam you with quest markers but rather you have to pay attention to the dialouge to figure out where to go and what to do.

Oblivion is a lot more "modern" though obviously its still quite dated now, but I think it's pretty close to how modern bethesda games play.

Both games have tremendous mod support.

Deleted member 7883

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MORROWIND NO IFS ANDS OR BUTS. There's nothing out there quite like it

I might be biased though as it's my favorite game of all time bar none.

Both games play fairly dated today, but with a few select mods it can make the experience very enjoyable for a new player even in 2019. That being said I'd say vanilla oblivion is more accessible than vanilla morrowind.

There's several mods I recommend to new players/those trying to get in to morrowind that make it more accessible to someone starting out, even if you're trying to go for a vanilla/as-intended playthrough. I'd be happy to go more in depths with what mods I recommend if you're interested!

OP
OP
Lannisters1798
Apr 27, 2018
MORROWIND NO IFS ANDS OR BUTS. There's nothing out there quite like it

I might be biased though as it's my favorite game of all time bar none.

Both games play fairly dated today, but with a few select mods it can make the experience very enjoyable for a new player even in 2019. That being said I'd say vanilla oblivion is more accessible than vanilla morrowind.

There's several mods I recommend to new players/those trying to get in to morrowind that make it more accessible to someone starting out, even if you're trying to go for a vanilla/as-intended playthrough. I'd be happy to go more in depths with what mods I recommend if you're interested!
Oh yes, go right ahead!

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Here's my thoughts on the 2:

Morrowind:

—incredible world and my favorite Elder Scrolls location to date
—great music
—some mods and overhauls can be done that bring the game more up to date graphically but it's really not a looker
—combat is not very good. Like melee sucks to me.
—Magic system is amazing, unique, and a huge part of my love for the game
—story is very interesting all the way through. The whole game is otherworldly and mysterious and just begs to be explored
—world is pretty small compared to other open world games
—LOOT!!! Game has non random loot so you find great things at the end of dungeons or really just all the time. I love the loot system in this

Oblivion:

—a more generic "high fantasy" world. It's ok but not nearly as good as Morrowind or Skyrim
—again, great music
—lots of mods but it's fairly involved process and a lot can go wrong. However, mods are basically essential to get this game to a good place
—vanilla things that are annoying:
—leveling system is obtuse and to level yourself properly means doing very stupid backwards things a lot of the time
—dungeons are VERY cozy/pasted. There are not many different styles and they begin to all meld together
—everything scales to your level so eventually you have road bandits wearing Daedric Armor wielding Glass Swords - this. Is. HORRIBLE!!!
—after kidding the Gabe is beautiful and you can fix most all of the stuff above which makes the game amazing :)
—combat still not good here. Better melee than Morrowind but still eh. Magic system changed and was not as fun to me.
—Story is fairly interesting but overall it's just OK for me
—world is larger than Morrowind but Smaller than Skyrim. It's decently sized but not a huge world
—Loot is scaled to your level and random so it's just not nearly as interesting.

So they both have their oddities. I would pick Morrowind with some modding. It is a very unique game that has many more intricacies that were watered down in subsequent games.

Oblivion heavily modded is great though so you should play that eventually also

I hope this helps! If you have any questions just let me know :)

Deleted member 7883

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yes, go right ahead!

first and foremost I recommend OpenMW, an opensource version of the game that runs a helluva lot smoother on modern systems. Nearly all content adding mods are supported with this version. With this, you no longer need to worry about having your computer resolution not being supported, the several unofficial patches, or the morrowind graphics extender. You can learn more about it here: https://openmw.org/en/

Run Faster - even with the steed starsign bonus this game is slow as hell to start off with. Frustratingly slow. This makes your movement speed bearable. Do keep in mind that it also boosts all NPC speed as well, but considering how slow-paced the game is in general I wouldn't worry about that too much. I recommend either the Faster or Fastest run speeds. https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/42796?tab=files

Delay DB Attack V2 - without this mod, every time you sleep you'll be attacked by a relatively powerful Assassin. This attack triggers the Tribunal expansion. But with new characters, you're far too weak to stand a chance against this enemy without cheesing the AI. This mod will delay the assassin/start of the tribunal expansion until you reach a certain point in the main quest. https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/14891

Optional (yet still recommended for a vanilla playthru)

GCD Leveler - Personally I'm not a fan of the heavy restrictions old rpgs place on classes. I like to use the GCD mod which kinda changes the levelling system to something more like skyrim. "GCD changes Morrowind's levelling system to make it seamless. Limits are removed from skills and attributes, and skill gain is slowed down exponentially to preserve game balance. Skills influence attributes, health and magicka directly. Characters remain diverse throughout the game, with strengths and weaknesses dependent on initial skill choices, skill increases and racial factors." https://www.moddb.com/games/morrowind/addons/galsiahs-character-development

Watercolored Morrowind: Replaces the textures with a more watercolored variant. This is my favorite graphics "overhaul", as it maintains the aesthetic of the original game but just touched up a smidge. https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/43375/

If the combat isn't to your liking
The combat is entirely based on dice rolls. When starting out, it's common to miss an enemy right next to you with your spear up to ten times in a row without landing a single hit. Your hits connect more and more often as your skills are raised. If that isn't to your liking, this mod makes it so all hits connect if they're within range. This applies to both you and NPCs... honestly I wouldn't recommend it. I don't play this game for its combat. No one should tbh. But here it is should you want to try it https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/23746

Avoid MGSO

this was a big graphics overhaul that came out in the early 2010s. You may see people recommend this mod. Fuck those people. It changes the art style to the point of not even being recognizable and it's fairly dated looking today. Again, the watercolor mod utilizes the original assets but freshens them up for todays players.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. There's around five other mods that you'll need to use to get this running as lovely as can be on a modern system, but you won't need any of those if you choose to use OpenMW.

Hope this helps!

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
I don't see a reason to play Oblivion if you have played Skyrim.

Now Morrowind is a totally different game, for the better or for the worse. Also, you should totally mod both games heavily.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
Hard to say which game is "better" as Morrowind is a lot older but is more complex and better written than Oblivion, in my opinion. I've started with Oblivion and then played Morrowind which is fine since you get a feeling for the The Elder Scrolls formula regardless. You'll have fun with both if you apply some QoL mods. If stuff like not having voiced dialogue bothers you in RPGs then Oblivion is your best bet. If you like old school RPG immersion then Morrowind will be more suitable. It's good to compare the feature sets of both games and pick the one which you like most. Quite frankly you can't make a wrong decision as both GOTY Editions are brilliant.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
gonna be real here... you probably won't spend much time with either. but on the chance you do go whole hog play both and start with morrowind

both games are like $5 so not like you have a whole lot to lose

Last edited:

L176

Jan 10, 2019
Gameplay and graphics have aged poorly in Morrowind, so I vote for Oblivion. Modding for either is recommended, although less so for the latter.

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I voted for Oblivion as it is easier to play nowadays. Morrowind is the better game but it has not aged all that well in some areas.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Morrowind is a much better game in writing, quest structure, world and so on. It's also easier to mod. I know it's counterintuitive, but it is what it is. Oblivion is actually a pain to mod unless you are quite familiar with Bethesda games modding.

I second the mention of Open Morrowind, makes your life easier, but I am not sure it's a great idea for first playthrough as a lot of mods won't work.

"Mods that require Morrowind Script Extender (MWSE), Morrowind Graphics Extender (MGE), Morrowind Code Patch (MCP), or similar game engine mods are not compatible because they modify the original Morrowind.exe engine, which OpenMW replaces. "

I would get both games if you can though, and don't forget Fallout 3 and New Vegas (especially this one). They are all worth it (after some heavy modding).

Look through some YouTube videos on modding howtos, there is a lot of info out there. Videos by Gopher used to be pretty awesome for this.

Deleted member 7883

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Morrowind is a much better game in writing, quest structure, world and so on. It's also easier to mod. I know it's counterintuitive, but it is what it is. Oblivion is actually a pain to mod unless you are quite familiar with Bethesda games modding.

I second the mention of Open Morrowind, makes your life easier, but I am not sure it's a great idea for first playthrough as a lot of mods won't work.

"Mods that require Morrowind Script Extender (MWSE), Morrowind Graphics Extender (MGE), Morrowind Code Patch (MCP), or similar game engine mods are not compatible because they modify the original Morrowind.exe engine, which OpenMW replaces. "

I would get both games if you can though, and don't forget Fallout 3 and New Vegas (especially this one). They are all worth it (after some heavy modding).

Look through some YouTube videos on modding howtos, there is a lot of info out there. Videos by Gopher used to be pretty awesome for this.

OpenMW eliminates the need for MCP as it takes care of most—if not all—of those bugs. Not to say the open source version isn't without its own problems though. But I haven't encountered any. The graphics extender isn't required either for essentially the same reason.

The script extender not working does suck, though. OpenMW is better for a vanilla-as-can-be-without-tearing-your-hair-out type of play through, but if you're tryna pimp the game out with dozens of mods at a time than opt for the original exe.

Personally the script extender loss doesn't bug me too bad, outside of a certain follower mod with a bunch of quest lines and stuff. So long as I have Tamriel Rebuilt working though I'm happy.

Deleted member 7883

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I forgot about graphic overhauls that require graphics extender to work. That is a thing. But I will also argue that pretty much every major graphics overhaul for Morrowind sucks.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
They are both good. Morrowind is the best out of the two, though. That world and lore...untouched to this day.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
OpenMW eliminates the need for MCP as it takes care of most—if not all—of those bugs. Not to say the open source version isn't without its own problems though. But I haven't encountered any. The graphics extender isn't required either for essentially the same reason.

The script extender not working does suck, though. OpenMW is better for a vanilla-as-can-be-without-tearing-your-hair-out type of play through, but if you're tryna pimp the game out with dozens of mods at a time than opt for the original exe.

Personally the script extender loss doesn't bug me too bad, outside of a certain follower mod with a bunch of quest lines and stuff. So long as I have Tamriel Rebuilt working though I'm happy.
Yeah, the issue is that a ton of mods including great interface ones, sorting, magic/combat/leveling improvements and more all rely on script extender.

I am not certain I would recommend lightly modded Morrowind now days. That said Open Morrowind does make one's life a lot easier.

DharmaBum

Sep 5, 2018
I've got to vote Morrowind only because you go from being a frail, helpless weakling that can't manage to hit a rat at two paces into a city bounding, bullet speed death machine fucking god really easily. Oblivion scaled that back tremendously.

Oct 29, 2017
I voted for Morrowind because as long as you are patient and can work with the dice roll combat and little to no voice acting, it's an infinitely better game (easily in my top 5) and really delivers a unique experience you can't get anywhere else. Oblivion is really ugly, even uglier than Morrowind artistically in my opinion, has tons of problems with modern PCs, has a much less interesting world, story and writing and has terrible loot and enemy scaling. I would suggest to try Morrowind first and if it doesn't click then just play Skyrim instead.

Revali

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Rito Village
I feel like Morrowind doesn't hold up as well as Oblivion if you haven't played and enjoyed games from that era (like KOTOR, for instance). If you have enjoyed games from back then, you would probably still enjoy Morrowind.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Morrowinds combat infuriated me many years ago when I played on xbox, I imagine playing what I've played now makes it even worse. Go oblivion

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
first and foremost I recommend OpenMW, an opensource version of the game that runs a helluva lot smoother on modern systems. Nearly all content adding mods are supported with this version. With this, you no longer need to worry about having your computer resolution not being supported, the several unofficial patches, or the morrowind graphics extender. You can learn more about it here: https://openmw.org/en/

Run Faster - even with the steed starsign bonus this game is slow as hell to start off with. Frustratingly slow. This makes your movement speed bearable. Do keep in mind that it also boosts all NPC speed as well, but considering how slow-paced the game is in general I wouldn't worry about that too much. I recommend either the Faster or Fastest run speeds. https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/42796?tab=files

Delay DB Attack V2 - without this mod, every time you sleep you'll be attacked by a relatively powerful Assassin. This attack triggers the Tribunal expansion. But with new characters, you're far too weak to stand a chance against this enemy without cheesing the AI. This mod will delay the assassin/start of the tribunal expansion until you reach a certain point in the main quest. https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/14891

Optional (yet still recommended for a vanilla playthru)

GCD Leveler - Personally I'm not a fan of the heavy restrictions old rpgs place on classes. I like to use the GCD mod which kinda changes the levelling system to something more like skyrim. "GCD changes Morrowind's levelling system to make it seamless. Limits are removed from skills and attributes, and skill gain is slowed down exponentially to preserve game balance. Skills influence attributes, health and magicka directly. Characters remain diverse throughout the game, with strengths and weaknesses dependent on initial skill choices, skill increases and racial factors." https://www.moddb.com/games/morrowind/addons/galsiahs-character-development

Watercolored Morrowind: Replaces the textures with a more watercolored variant. This is my favorite graphics "overhaul", as it maintains the aesthetic of the original game but just touched up a smidge. https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/43375/

If the combat isn't to your liking
The combat is entirely based on dice rolls. When starting out, it's common to miss an enemy right next to you with your spear up to ten times in a row without landing a single hit. Your hits connect more and more often as your skills are raised. If that isn't to your liking, this mod makes it so all hits connect if they're within range. This applies to both you and NPCs... honestly I wouldn't recommend it. I don't play this game for its combat. No one should tbh. But here it is should you want to try it https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/23746

Avoid MGSO

this was a big graphics overhaul that came out in the early 2010s. You may see people recommend this mod. Fuck those people. It changes the art style to the point of not even being recognizable and it's fairly dated looking today. Again, the watercolor mod utilizes the original assets but freshens them up for todays players.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. There's around five other mods that you'll need to use to get this running as lovely as can be on a modern system, but you won't need any of those if you choose to use OpenMW.

Hope this helps!
I have never used OpenMW because I've been under the impression that it isn't intended for general use. So from your post, I take it that it has all of the features of MGE/Unoffical Patches/Code Patch etc?

stn

Oct 28, 2017
Morrowind is my favorite game ever for all of the reasons people have already listed. Its just so deep and feels like an MMO.

Deleted member 7883

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have never used OpenMW because I've been under the impression that it isn't intended for general use. So from your post, I take it that it has all of the features of MGE/Unoffical Patches/Code Patch etc?

OpenMW uses a completely new engine so the patches don't do much in the first place. In other words the answer is kinda/basically yes. If you're planning to install some graphics overhaul that requires MGE, you're gonna need MGE. OpenMW can't help with that. But for getting Morrowind to support your 4K resolution with variable fog sliders and other goodies, absolutely

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I would say Oblivion because I hate the dice roll combat of Morrowind. If I hit an enemy with a sword, it best connect unless I'm ten miles away.

That is the only thing that kept me from getting into Morrowind. Even a mod that makes all combat result in a hit of some type didn't help, as fighting a rat with a sword took way too long to defeat. Starting out, it appears your attack power is extremely scarce.

But I say get both. They are both cheap enough and I think that's plenty enough to justify trying both and seeing with one you like best with a few hours.

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
OpenMW uses a completely new engine so the patches don't do much in the first place. In other words the answer is kinda/basically yes. If you're planning to install some graphics overhaul that requires MGE, you're gonna need MGE. OpenMW can't help with that. But for getting Morrowind to support your 4K resolution with variable fog sliders and other goodies, absolutely
I'll have to give it a try next time I'm up for putzing with a Bethesda game. Last time I played Morrowind was 2 years ago and the experience was less than amazing.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Oblivion is still very much playable out of the box today without mods. Can't say the same for Morrowind...that one needs a magicka-regen mod at the very least.

i played vanilla morrowind regularly on my beater laptop up until 2-3 years ago. actually kind of impressed how well it held up... with some definite caveats (it's ostensibly a game from 2002)