• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wingthor

Sep 18, 2021
It just felt massively overtuned. They have way too much health, even moreso than any of the other final bosses it seems to me.

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017
lol @Malenia bossfight. How insane is that flurry attack?
Summoned the mimic tear and spammed the shit out of the Blasphemous Blade skill. Elden ring book closed.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
If they want to keep the scope between classic souls interconnected/vertical levels, cutting the open world for more focused corridor like open areas would be best. It's essentially what it is anyway because the last gen root meant everything is ridges and valleys making it so that you can't see or travel anywhere too quickly. It would reduce the bloat. I loved just teleporting to a new awesome looking zone like the final few areas/underground. I don't need a dozen broken ruin with a cave underneath it holding a 7th halberd or shitty spell no one will ever use.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017

Goes into some detail about bosses in Elden Ring in general, and the ones he found to have bad mechanic/design issues. Obvious major spoilers.

Deleted member 93841

User-requested account closure
Banned
Mar 17, 2021

Goes into some detail about bosses in Elden Ring in general, and the ones he found to have bad mechanic/design issues. Obvious major spoilers.

I agree with him on the giant enemies especially. It's a nightmare trying to fight them in melee and the real boss battle ends up being with the camera. I wish From would simply not make such bosses and rather stick to bosses that don't cause problems with the control scheme.

Yzec

Dec 11, 2019
Belgium
Beat her (you know who lol). Felt insanely cheap, but seemed like the only way for me as an average player to beat her. Mimic + dualhanding bleed and frost sword. Tried like 50 times and the attempt I beat her I got lucky and me and the mimic just stunlocked both phases.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
That one I don't agree on.

I got power bombed a few times but it wasn't unfair in any way. All his shit is telegraphed well enough, lots of obvious openings and you can jump over any of the sonic booms *shrug*. One of the more fun bosses for me in general, but I get how massively variable that can be in this game.

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
i saw this thread for days and didn't want to open it until i cleared the game but i was confident at the point it was going to be Godskin Duo lol. Malenia ended up being quite a bit harder for me but I was pissed the first time I killed both of the duo members and realized it wasn't actually the end a second before getting smoked by a respawn

Capra

Oct 25, 2017

I feel like this guy doesn't do the best job explaining why the bosses he dislikes are so bad. He just kind of rattles off a list of annoyances with the endgame bosses whereas I feel like identifying a pattern and explaining why that pattern is poor or unfair design would be more helpful. Especially with him calling Hoarah Loux the absolute worst it feels more like "I personally had issues with this boss so it's bad."

Honestly I'm kind of wishing I could hear Matthewmatosis' thoughts on it without waiting like, 8 years. I was watching his Lost Soul Arts of Demon's Souls video the other day and while I disagree with the more elitist comments like decrying respec options I was surprised how many of his complaints about DS3's boss design mirrored my own thoughts on Elden Ring's bosses... I probably just internalized that stuff 4 years ago when I first watched it but I think a lot of it still holds true.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Beat her (you know who lol). Felt insanely cheap, but seemed like the only way for me as an average player to beat her. Mimic + dualhanding bleed and frost sword. Tried like 50 times and the attempt I beat her I got lucky and me and the mimic just stunlocked both phases.
I'm dreading getting to her lmao

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
Destoryed then pretty easily as an arcane caster with mimic aggoring.

I think some bosses are just balanced around having a spirit summon and not using one is just playing with a handicap. Like fighting
rykard
without using the serpent lance

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think there is a solution. The only hope for me is they have an Old Hunters style expansion with better 1v1 fights in arenas that don't let you use ashes.

Wait. If the fights are better 1v1 fights why do they need to restrict ashes? Maybe you don't want to use them but many here love them. Enjoy using them. If you don't like them that's cool, but why punish those of us who do?

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Tbh, if they make a DLC for the game they have no excuse to do anything other than make a cast of ridiculously difficult bosses, as is the tradition.

DLC is supposed to be the nut up++ content, it's not the same as main path vanilla bosses being an absolute drag to fight

Elliot Pudge

Oct 25, 2017
was able to two-shot godskin duo with antspur rapier and fingerprint stone shield, no summon, poison mist as my ashes

maliketh however is proving to be much more difficult

Deleted member 93841

User-requested account closure
Banned
Mar 17, 2021
I got power bombed a few times but it wasn't unfair in any way. All his shit is telegraphed well enough, lots of obvious openings and you can jump over any of the sonic booms *shrug*. One of the more fun bosses for me in general, but I get how massively variable that can be in this game.

The only problem I had with him was his grabs. I died a couple of times because I dodged and then he grabbed me anyway. And then obviously his grab attack is so powerful that mistiming your dodge meant death. It took me a few tries to get the hang of it.

I feel like this guy doesn't do the best job explaining why the bosses he dislikes are so bad. He just kind of rattles off a list of annoyances with the endgame bosses whereas I feel like identifying a pattern and explaining why that pattern is poor or unfair design would be more helpful. Especially with him calling Hoarah Loux the absolute worst it feels more like "I personally had issues with this boss so it's bad."

But he does explain, though? Enemies too big to see what's going on, too aggressive with few openings, too unpredictable in their attack patterns, partly poorly telegraphed attacks, feeling too much like he won through luck rather than skill, etc. These are also all complaints that I've seen from other people.

As for Hoarah Loux, he did say that it was his personal opinion and others might disagree.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
I'll be legit surprised if Mimic Ashes and Hoarfrost stomp don't get nerfed in the near future. Both are incredibly busted and basically a "easy-win" button on most, if not all fights.

I doubt they will go in and nerf stuff that don't have any effect or the balance in pvp. Mimic ashes is a secret you have to find and it's an optional item to use for bosses.

I don't see a need to nerf something like that, it's a powerful item if you can find it and if you want to use it.

For Evergoal bosses you can't even use it or against npc invaders or invading npcs for quests.

Last edited:

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I doubt they will go in and nerf stuff that don't have any effect or the balance in pvp. Mimic ashes is a secret you have to find and it's an optional item to use for bosses.

I don't see a need to nerf something like that, it's a powerful item if you can find it and if you want to use it.

For Evergoal bosses you can't even use it or against npc invaders or invading npcs for quests.

It will get nerfed when they see the data that most people use it and just ignore everything else. They created all these variety and only a handful are being used. Pretty sure From has done nerfs for PVE a few times.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
It took me 6 tries to beat this boss and that was really cause I kept choking when I had them on low health I should've had them out of there in like 3
It's just not a fun fight. Optimal strategy is just run, run, run, get a quick hit in of your special on the skinny one then go back to running.
They don't work well together at all unless someone here thinks dodging an attack and getting hit with a fireball coming from offscreen is fair challenge for some reason.

Yeah people are ignoring Vigor because you could get by with less in older Souls.

It's like the meta discussion right now, where people want to stick to 120 because it's what it was before even though it doesn't work here.

With Vigor, you absolutely need to reach the 40 softcap unless you're one of those no-hit gods. You can't get by with 20ish like Souls 3. I see so many hosts in my coop sessions that clearly neglected Vigor.

Also I'm sure almost no one uses the runes that buff your stats like humanities/effigies lol
I have 45 Vigor, wearing full Radahn set (so fairly decent armor), and even using Rune arcs pretty much every late game boss kills me in 2 hits flat. The boss damage is overtuned

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I am not great at this game but Horah Loux was my favorite boss by far hands down. Tough but straightforward and fair, and most importantly, all his moves felt learnable and his health was low enough to feel solo-able despite dying dozens of times in both stages.

He shares a lot of attack animations with the Crucible Knights and I think a few from those lion/beast bosses so you already have good experience dealing with a huge portion of his moveset to begin with. It and the first phase of the next boss felt like a proper culmination of a melee player's journey.

Compare that to Maliketh which feels like complete bullshit in contrast. You have to struggle with the camera too because of all his highly mobile jumping around second phase nonsense.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Compare that to Maliketh which feels like complete bullshit in comparison. You have to struggle with the camera too because of all his highly mobile jumping around second phase nonsense.

You have to love that first time you thought you could hide behind a pillar during maliketh's second form when he would attack you from a distance. Curves like a bullet that guy

Oct 27, 2017
yep, this boss fight is stupid and bullshit. a complete boss recycle with a shitty gimmick layered on top. i've burned through several summon items and still haven't been able to beat them. at the very least you're allowed to port away once you reach the boss. but this game has a frustrating knack for having it's critical path gatekeeping bosses to be annoying bullshit. see: Radahn, Draconic Tree Sentinel, and now these assholes.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
yep, this boss fight is stupid and bullshit. a complete boss recycle with a shitty gimmick layered on top. i've burned through several summon items and still haven't been able to beat them. at the very least you're allowed to port away once you reach the boss. but this game has a frustrating knack for having it's critical path gatekeeping bosses to be annoying bullshit. see: Radahn, Draconic Tree Sentinel, and now these assholes.

Radahn is actually optional.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Beat it on my second try last night. Mimic and I somehow got the skinny one away from the fat one. Ganked the skinny one super fast spamming our scythe special. Killed the fat one. Killed the skinny one again. And then killed the rest of the boss HP with the fat one again.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
I just summoned my +10 mimic today and oneshotted them. Fuck from and their giant and duo/trio bosses. I aint gonna solo those shit bosses

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
i saw this thread for days and didn't want to open it until i cleared the game but i was confident at the point it was going to be Godskin Duo lol. Malenia ended up being quite a bit harder for me but I was pissed the first time I killed both of the duo members and realized it wasn't actually the end a second before getting smoked by a respawn

I think that most are willing to forgive Malenia's difficulty because she is the face of the game and because she's not on the required path of bosses. Best comparison I can come up with is Nameless King. If Nameless King was put on the required path for Dark Souls 3, far fewer people would have finished the game.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just wandered into this fight by happenstance and frost stomped my way to victory on the first try. Lmao.

Grace872

Mar 11, 2022
You have to love that first time you thought you could hide behind a pillar during maliketh's second form when he would attack you from a distance. Curves like a bullet that guy

My favorite moment in his fight was when I hid close to the pillar to heal, only to have one of his melee attacks clip through and kill me.

Wait did I say favorite, I meant infuriating.

Nov 13, 2017
As someone who went through the entire game with no summons and using basic weapons with no infusions, I completely agree. It's a really bad encounter that is needlessly frustrating. The back-to-back version in the snail cave in the mountains was a lot of fun, IMO, but when it came to this, I was annoyed. I just ignored the noble and farmed the apostle. Winning felt like luck, because there were attempts where the noble would not leave me alone, and others where he gave me plenty of room to deal with the apostle.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
The flurry attack is dumb af. I still don't know how to dodge it without just dead sprinting and barely surviving after she catches me.
Normal way of dodging the big move

But for dodging it, basicly, there is a tempo for it for both phase.
And no using stomp, bleed or summon, I think learning tempo and not being greedy

But for me, it's more of a tempo, and wearing all defensive up gear(Physical defense)

It's more of a temple, in Phase 1, roll toward her, here you can see the first hit didn't time correctly, so got hit.
So when she float up, wait one tempo, then dodge, same with each of the other hit in her waza.

So float up, wait, dodge, then waza dance 1 finish, then roll again, dance 2, then roll.
zrpgk00.gif

Phase 2 can be more...confusing, don't be aggresive and don't attack after the flower, you might be able to survive the flower, but you can't take one more hit after.
And also after the flower move, 2 reason not to go attack
1. She has defense buff, so hit deals less damage
2. She can do her sword dance waza immediately after the lower.

And she is also very aggresive in the second phase, trying to get close, so bait her to do a big smash on the ground, then immediately go in for one hit or a jump hit if using heavy weapon, and high chance to stun her so you can roll away and repeat.
V47PuEZ.gif

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't had any problems with them (my mimic did all the work with how broken it was at that point), but i have to agree with this:
I would only put it above Dark Souls 2.
...and only partially, because i had more fun fighting the Old Dragonslayer and the Fume Knight than with any of the bosses from this game.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
I was nervous about the Godskin Duo, thanks to the bits I'd heard and how much trouble I had with the Apostle in the Divine Tower basement. It turned out to be not that bad. My ash summon (Nightmaiden & Swordtress+10, Mimic+9 seems wimpy) held skinny's attention while I focused on fatty. It only took me enough tries to figure out his crap. My summons died around the same time I finished him off, but then I was able to alternate my attention well enough to finish them off.

I expect I'm way over-leveled, though (120?). I think that's pretty much been the case the whole game. I spent a lot of early hours bouncing off bosses in every direction, and I never, ever take on a boss without topping off my next level-up first. Being over-leveled is the game's easy mode, and I for one am perfectly willing to grind, especially on this first playthrough.

Now, I'm nervous about Malenia. That Crissaegrim bullshit looks...like bullshit.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
For fairness and consistency's sake this has to be locked, with the spoiler thread and OT still wildly active on the front page and new Elden Ring threads being locked.

Apologies that this wasn't done sooner but it must be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.