• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
May 14, 2021
Sounds like what happened with Returnal its first month or two. I would keep getting crashes, restart the system, and then when I tried to play the game again it would tell me it had to revert to an old save. Incredibly frustrating losing any kind of hard fought progress in games as challenging as these.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
Controlling the narrative is everything. Going into reviews the gaming industry was over hyped for elden ring and has a love affair with fromsoftware.
This is something people forget about cyberpunk/cdpr. Sure it started off similarly as elden ring but cracks in the hype positive narrative foundation started to show before reviews dropped.

Exactly. All the controversies around their shitty behaviour, all those discord replies from devs, it was all adding up.

I have no doubt that if they came straight from The Witcher with no issues around what shit people they could be, it would have faced perfect reviews.

And with that said, the PC version still sits at 86 on Metacritic. It's why honestly I just can't trust review scores. I read the text, see what's up and go from there.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
If I remember correctly, there were some people in the review thread when others were talking about the poor PC performance handwaving it away saying that technical issues shouldn't be considered when reviewing a game for some reason. That's some bullshit. If I read that crashes and glitches are happening, that should absolutely reflect the review of the game at launch. I don't give a shit how 10/10 masterpiece they think it is.

I know that if this does happen to me on PS5 even once, I'm sending the game right back to Gamefly.

Brentos

Oct 28, 2017
I lost at least 2 hours of progress this afternoon as well. I got to the end of Stormveil Castle, fought the boss once, turned my console off for the night, and when I turned it back on it was as if I'd done nothing... none of the graces were unlocked, none of the items in my inventory. I was sent back to just after the Margit fight. Just a colossal waste of time! I hope I don't have to keep dealing with this save corruption stuff moving forward...

Heliex

Nov 2, 2017
It crashes on me whenever It enters sleep mode, only game this happens with since Miles Morales. I lost like 4 hours of progress yesterday because of it.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
THEN WHY ARE BRINGING IT UP I DON'T GIVE A FLYING FUCK ABOUT THE REVIEWS

BE AN ADULT

The underlying comment is that it is pretty bonkers a game with these technical issues got so highly rated.
I'm on Xbox and see people complaining about a few extra seconds of load time, meanwhile Online was borked for Xbox (mine started working this morning).

Bernkastel

Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Jan 15, 2018
Brazil
This game should not be anywhere near 97 metacritic. What a travesty. It should be sub-70 metacritic right alongside Cyberpunk 2077.

Nevermind the fact that the game is simply not accessible (re: difficulty). But also:

1) PS5 version crashes
2) Xbox version's network connection did not even work until recently!
3) Performance issues on both PS5 and Xbox and PC mean that the only way to have good performance on any of those platforms is to own the PS5 version digitally and then play the PS4 version on PS5 (this is an option unavailable on Xbox, amazingly, because of the rock solid Smart Delivery feature - let that sink in, because what we're saying here is a generation-defining amenity like Smart Delivery is fucking over Xbox gamers due to From Software's ineptitude).

Edit: I also forgot the laughable tweets suggesting that people track quests with a notepad file. Roaring laughter emoji. What a joke of a game. But apparently it's some masterpiece? Hah.
Lol you already hated the game before release.
www.resetera.com

Elden Ring metascore prediction

My prediction is 86.
Elden Ring is easily one of the best games I ever played, reviewers are right on this one. Performance problems don't change the game quality for a lot of people.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
If I quit game every time I stop playing then I shouldn't be worried about any save bugs on PS5 right? I thought that was the only issue

Bernkastel

Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Jan 15, 2018
Brazil
Holy crap at the following thread:

www.resetera.com

Is it dumb to want to cry after losing a save/progression? (Yes, another Elden Ring thread)

Never really played a souls before (always too daunting), but gave elden ring a shot. And even though I generally don't like open worlds, god damn it hooked me. I spent hours exploring the first little island, killing map bosses, exploring dungeons, doing side quests.... Even though I'm terrible...

So apparently the reason the crashing on the PS5 is making OP lose their progress is because of a PS5 auto save bug. That wasn't clear to me initially.

Anyhow, that's just mind-blowing. I absolutely cannot believe why the metacritic on this game is so high. And yeah, I'm being harsh because the game is inaccessible to me (I can't deal with the frustrations of their difficulty) but it is mind-blowing to me how many issues this game has.

Imagine if God of War or Breath of the Wild had these issues (other genre defining games skirting 97 metacritic). Woo boy. They would've gotten roasted and they wouldn't have sniffed 90 metacritic.
Breath of the Wild had a lot of performance issues on launch too, especially on WiiU and the game got a 97 on metacritic too.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
From really has to sort out their technical shit. It's terrible that what might be the best game I have ever played is dragged down for a lot of people by technical issues.

John Frost

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I lost at least 2 hours of progress this afternoon as well. I got to the end of Stormveil Castle, fought the boss once, turned my console off for the night, and when I turned it back on it was as if I'd done nothing... none of the graces were unlocked, none of the items in my inventory. I was sent back to just after the Margit fight. Just a colossal waste of time! I hope I don't have to keep dealing with this save corruption stuff moving forward...
You saved the game manually and didn't put it in rest mode? If so that's scary.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
This game should not be anywhere near 97 metacritic. What a travesty. It should be sub-70 metacritic right alongside Cyberpunk 2077.

Nevermind the fact that the game is simply not accessible (re: difficulty). But also:

1) PS5 version crashes
3) Performance issues on both PS5 and Xbox and PC mean that the only way to have good performance on any of those platforms is to own the PS5 version digitally and then play the PS4 version on PS5 (this is an option unavailable on Xbox, amazingly, because of the rock solid Smart Delivery feature - let that sink in, because what we're saying here is a generation-defining amenity like Smart Delivery is fucking over Xbox gamers due to From Software's ineptitude).

Edit: I also forgot the laughable tweets suggesting that people track quests with a notepad file. Roaring laughter emoji. What a joke of a game. But apparently it's some masterpiece? Hah.

Holy crap at the following thread:

www.resetera.com

Is it dumb to want to cry after losing a save/progression? (Yes, another Elden Ring thread)

Never really played a souls before (always too daunting), but gave elden ring a shot. And even though I generally don't like open worlds, god damn it hooked me. I spent hours exploring the first little island, killing map bosses, exploring dungeons, doing side quests.... Even though I'm terrible...

So apparently the reason the crashing on the PS5 is making OP lose their progress is because of a PS5 auto save bug. That wasn't clear to me initially.

Anyhow, that's just mind-blowing. I absolutely cannot believe why the metacritic on this game is so high. And yeah, I'm being harsh because the game is inaccessible to me (I can't deal with the frustrations of their difficulty) but it is mind-blowing to me how many issues this game has.

Imagine if God of War or Breath of the Wild had these issues (other genre defining games skirting 97 metacritic). Woo boy. They would've gotten roasted and they wouldn't have sniffed 90 metacritic.
Fuck, you're so close to giving us some copy pasta gold. Just let that hate fester for a little longer and you got this!

JhOnNY_HD

Dec 13, 2020
Not a single crash on PS5 on 20h playtime.

Sorry OP.

You are using rest mode I read some crashes because that

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
Exactly. All the controversies around their shitty behaviour, all those discord replies from devs, it was all adding up.

I have no doubt that if they came straight from The Witcher with no issues around what shit people they could be, it would have faced perfect reviews.

And with that said, the PC version still sits at 86 on Metacritic. It's why honestly I just can't trust review scores. I read the text, see what's up and go from there.

Don't get me wrong I still was hyped for the game, but now I'm trying to figure out what I want to do while I wait for my collectors edition to show up.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
all these posts I'm reading complaining about how high the metacritic score is… I can't cringe hard enough. By all means drag FromSoft for the technical shortcomings but imagine giving that much of a shit about a game's critical reception.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing the PS4 version, simply because I read the PS4 version is "better" on PS5 although I don't really know why, but also because I can manually backup my save to my PC over a USB drive. Takes me back to the old school ps2/etc days but it also really sucks that Sony won't allow you to backup PS5 game saves to a USB drive, only PS4 saves. Yeah, yeah cloud saves etc but I have zero granularity control over cloud saves, whereas I have now 4-5 saves backed up to my PC of Elden Ring PS4 progression.

and i've only played 30 mins or so, but I backed up the way I liked how my characters looked. also one time I accidently hit an NPC and they perma-aggro if you do that, lol. thank god for backups!

Jul 26, 2018
This makes the fact that I'm enjoying the hell out of Horizon all the more sweeter. I'll get around to ER in May or so when it's nice and patched

SoulsHunt

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Never had one crash nor one bug. Worth nothing that despite technical issues, game has 0 bug. Specially in a time where every games isn't polished (expect a few like RE8). Sad that graphic wise game couldn't follow. Same goes for PC, few FPS drops but that's all (3070, 2k60fps). Seems like a coin flip.

At least it's way far from a CP77 case where even after more than a year you can't even launch the game.

I sure hope it will be fixed soon

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
My ps5 would completely crash whenever I played certain ps5 games, never with ps4 games. So I took off the sides and blew out some of the dust and I haven't had that problem since. Don't know if the issue is the PS5 itself or not but it works for me.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Sorry OP, that sucks. I get mad as hell when I lose 30 minutes of progress (seriously, there are two RPGs I put down this last year just from losing 30-60 minutes of progress and I was upset lol).

I think there is a really noticeable level of animosity towards the reviews because it's not not matching user experience. Frankly I would have to imagine that reviewers are used to having to glance past bugginess, because they might expect those issues to be ironed out by day one patches. There's also the very strong possibility that reviewers just didn't encounter these same problems, as it's clearly not the majority who have experiences these, so expecting a tiny sample size (dozens instead of literally millions) to have these same experiences is pretty unrealistic. That isn't to excuse it, just to suggest WHY a reviewer wouldn't care about issues if they never encountered it.

For myself I have been worried about it because of reports. It seems like yesterday's patch was SUPPOSED to address this... Aside from that I'm just making sure I don't use rest mode at the moment, and am hoping for the best.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017

Elden Ring

A New World Created By Hidetaka Miyazaki And George R. R. Martin ELDEN RING, developed by FromSoftware, Inc. and BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc., is a fantasy action-RPG adventure set within a world created by Hidetaka Miyazaki creator of the influential DARK SOULS video game series; and George...

OP straight up hallucinating.
Nice to see sort of fans that are developing from this game. They also apparently can't read.

Edit: I saw your follow up post. That's still extremely confusing to me and I don't think the sarcasm worked very well here, but I guess that's just me.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Nazo were you using Rest mode? Because if so, stop it. Rest mode still causes plenty of issues for plenty of people with plenty of games.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I had very similar constant crashes with Ratchet and Clank, and they completely stopped after I unplugged my USB drive. No other game ever did that for me with or without it plugged. Try that, if you have one plugged in. I think thr PS5 OS has issues.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Regarding this infamous rest mode bug, I've never experienced it myself, but can I ask: when people refer to it, do they mean putting the console in rest mode while a game is still open? Or does the bug happen regardless of if the game/app is shut down?

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
That sucks OP, have you tried reinstalling the game maybe? I haven't had a single crash in 16 hours myself.

Are you quitting the game manually? Losing progress is definitely weird when these games basically save after every step you take.

Oct 30, 2017
South Coast, UK
This sucks to hear, I've not had a single crash yet. Returnal and Miles Morales both crashed a lot for me at their respective launches, though.

1) PS5 version crashes

not one original thought in your post here, borderline copypasta type posting

I can assure you this isn't even on the same level of Cyberpunk's issues, at least this is a content complete game

Forearm_Star

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't heard about PS5 crashing but the multiplayer on Xbox is fucked for some.

I hate buying anything during initial release.

Edit - apparently this was patched last night

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
The Fromsoft defense force has arrived to defend the honor of a Video game.
That was bound to happen.

Remember all the shit Forbidden West got early on, because it appeared that the foliage wasn't reacting to the character? Elden Ring doesn't have any reactive foliage at all, and it gets a free pass.

I'm sure it'll be a good game eventually. I'll pick it up on PC in a year or so.

May 14, 2021
Yeah, it's weird then when other games get absolutely destroyed for it. First party games imparticular get a dunking.

(Going to edit back my original reply)
Didn't Pokémon get high scores? Returnal crashed and lost saves as well and won a ton of GOTY awards. Exclusive has nothing to do with it. It comes down to whether or not the game is still great despite the issues. It's much easier to dogpile a game that just isn't otherwise great in addition to all the problems. I lost so much progress in Returnal due to crashes and that game never stopped being a 10/10 to me. Also Bloodborne is an exclusive which to this day has shit performance, and to this day it is still a 10/10 game.

Last edited:

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
For the life of me I'll never understand why people buy games at launch anymore. Wait a few months and pay less for a more polished experience. Sure, maybe you miss out on the "zeitgeist", but I play through games so slowly nowadays that I would miss out on it anyway lol

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've clocked over 60 hours and have not had a single crash. I also feel the performance has been quite passable on PS5 at the very least..yes there are frame drops here and there, but it's the exception not the norm.

What I do is I quit the game from the settings menu, then close the app before putting the PS5 into rest mode. The latter is what I do with virtually all games, since if I don't, the PS5 itself crashes in rest mode.

The PS5 crashing in rest mode if a game is suspended and not fully quit has been a thing since launch that Sony has failed to address. It doesn't just happen with Elden Ring, either.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
That was bound to happen.

Remember all the shit Forbidden West got early on, because it appeared that the foliage wasn't reacting to the character? Elden Ring doesn't have any reactive foliage at all, and it gets a free pass.

I'm sure it'll be a good game eventually. I'll pick it up on PC in a year or so.

I think those were probably different people. FromSoftware fans usually aren't graphics snobs.

Elden Ring is already a great game, it just has some unfortunate technical issues that should have been resolved before launch.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Regarding this infamous rest mode bug, I've never experienced it myself, but can I ask: when people refer to it, do they mean putting the console in rest mode while a game is still open? Or does the bug happen regardless of if the game/app is shut down?

At least as described officially, the issue is using Rest mode while playing the game as it's interrupting the autosave and corrupts it.

So using Rest mode if the app is shut won't hurt anything. Using it on the main menu after manually saving through Pause > System > Quit Game would also be fine, and is what I've been doing.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
At least as described officially, the issue is using Rest mode while playing the game as it's interrupting the autosave and corrupts it.

So using Rest mode if the app is shut won't hurt anything. Using it on the main menu after manually saving through Pause > System > Quit Game would also be fine, and is what I've been doing.

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I've only ever used rest mode after closing down any games. I've never really trusted the suspend feature, it really didn't work well with some games. I think my first experience of weirdness was with AC: Black Flag on PS4, going into rest mode with the game active meant trophies wouldn't unlock at all when I turned the console back on.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Sorry to hear that OP. The game is a mess everywhere.

From Software's games have the same issues they had over 10 years ago. I keep buying them. I'm part of the problem. The other part is reviewers showering them with perfect scores.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Someone I know has just had this happen with the steam version

So while we're here, anyone know the process to backup stuff on PC as well as Playstation? Probably also xbox cause that might also have this issue?

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Shit this is a thing? Now I'm a little scared to go any further. Kinda disappointed in FROM. I know it's not their MO, but I really hope they put out performance patches soon.

*EDIT* Saw the cause. That puts me at ease.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
all these posts I'm reading complaining about how high the metacritic score is… I can't cringe hard enough. By all means drag FromSoft for the technical shortcomings but imagine giving that much of a shit about a game's critical reception.
It's part of the games culture. Not caring will not make it's effects go away. Elden Ring will easily shatter all From's sales records.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The game industry is still really young compared to other art forms, so there's still a sense of immaturity and sycophancy about it. There's still a lot of growing up to do before it reaches maturity.

From what I read, barely any reviews mentioned issues. I clicked a dozen reviews at random on Metacritic, only one review dedicated more than a sentence to critiquing the performance: Push Square's review.
The games industry has been around for 50 years. That's older than 99% of the people on this board.

We need to quit acting like gaming is in its infancy, that does nothing but continue to give these reviewers a free pass for their shoddy coverage.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Is it a problem primarily with the physical edition? I bought digital and have had a flawless experience. But I remember Bloodborne having similar issues for me back on PS4 where I bought physically.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I've had experience losing save data. A lot of save data. I end up just never going back to those games again. It's probably the biggest reason I have a series x now.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
The result of getting away with suboptimal or just flatout insulting technical product (looking at you, DS: PtD) for over a decade because of a cult like mindset on criticizing the studio and the series.
Dark Souls 2, Dark Souls 3, and Sekiro were all completely fine technically speaking. Nothing special, but also no glaring issues on PC at least. Elden Ring's technical issues are an anomaly for the studio.