• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 week): Antagonising other members, history of bans for similar behavior
it's extremely funny to me how I see you in every Epic-related thread praising Epic, but you never talk about how what they do can benefit consumers, but rather about how good their bussiness decisions are and how they can benefit Epic, as if we're supposed to give a shit about that. lol
Yeah, it's fucking weird

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
it's extremely funny to me how I see you in every Epic-related thread praising Epic, but you never talk about how what they do can benefit consumers, but rather about how good their bussiness decisions are and how they can benefit Epic, as if we're supposed to give a shit about that. lol

It's almost like they work professionally making video games and are apt to view things through that lens.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I'm aware, but as noted with later posts, devs still need to tick a few boxes that enable EAC to be used with Proton. And going by FROM's previous history with PC development, which sure has improved, but never managed to go that much beyond the bare neccessities, I don't see them "ticking the required boxes" for EAC to work with Proton. I mean, most devs have not enabled proper Proton support as of yet. Why should FROM of all of them be one of the first ones to do it?
Most devs probably haven't as there's been zero reason to. With the launch of the steam deck and as more players request compatibility I'm sure it will change.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure I'm following. Are you referring to being on the EOS version of EAC being the latest version? Because the hubbub with Vermintide2 needing to be on EOS for easy support was alleviated. Thats what the link i shared states. It doesnt matter what sdk version youre on and you can be in the non EOS version of EAC and have the same minimal effort support for Proton.

Sorry I was under the impression that devs had to implement the latest version of EAC to be compatible with Proton. This is great news!

My Steam Deck can't come soon enough.

Jul 1, 2020
Regarding Anti-Cheat on PC in a FROM game, a Funfact..

Dark Souls II Vanilla actually had VAC activated at launch but FROM had to disable it cause it wasn't letting VAC banned players in OTHER VAC enabled games where they were banned, login or play Dark Souls 2 on STEAM.
I was always under the impression that that was how VAC worked. Cheat in one VAC game get banned in all of them making the stakes for cheating very high.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
I never used mods for any souls game so I'm not that bummed out…I'm more concerned about the "if you have Logitech G hub you're gonna get banned" part of it…

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018

Celebrating their successes is wrong? Weird thing, but okay. :)

Alo81

Oct 27, 2017
Is it? On Nexus there are just 1k mods for Dark Souls, and they seem pretty limited in scope. Or are there mods elsewhere for From games?

Check out
Cinders, for DS3,
Daughters of Ash or Nightfall for DS1,
Seeker of Fire for DS2,
Sekiro Online for Sekiro (It adds multiplayer to the game!)

I don't think its a quantity is king thing. I'm listing those as examples since they're all huge content changes and overhauls, but there are a ton of other really interesting mods for the games that change the way you engage.

First person,
VR,
Add halo maps and deathmatch multiplayer + fully from scratch third person shooting mechanics,
Aggression mod,
Randomizers,
Jojo Stand,
Capture enemies and use them to fight like pokemon,
Play the game as bosses,
Play as bosses in your friends games over multiplayer,
ENB to add the original lighting to Dark Souls 2,
Boss Rushes.

These are all the ones that come to mind off the top of my head. Its a very dedicated community doing a lot of things outside of the "clean faces" type mods other games often get in abundance.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
I finally got into a few mods for Dark Souls just last year after watching a Vaati video on a few and there's some incredible stuff. So like others have said I'd be very sad if this is a wall to modding a bit. Fingers crossed it isn't.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Check out
Cinders, for DS3,
Daughters of Ash or Nightfall for DS1,
Seeker of Fire for DS2,
Sekiro Online for Sekiro (It adds multiplayer to the game!)

I don't think its a quantity is king thing. I'm listing those as examples since they're all huge content changes and overhauls, but there are a ton of other really interesting mods for the games that change the way you engage.

First person,
VR,
Add halo maps and deathmatch multiplayer + fully from scratch third person shooting mechanics,
Aggression mod,
Randomizers,
Jojo Stand,
Capture enemies and use them to fight like pokemon,
Play the game as bosses,
Play as bosses in your friends games over multiplayer,
ENB to add the original lighting to Dark Souls 2,
Boss Rushes.

These are all the ones that come to mind off the top of my head. Its a very dedicated community doing a lot of things outside of the "clean faces" type mods other games often get in abundance.
Thanks, I'll check them out. The mods do seem more promising than I presumed.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I've never had a problem with cheaters in games, I don;t play online much though.

I do have problems with DRM and garbage automated anti-cheat stuff that only hurts legit consumers, though.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh well that makes my decision to go PC up in the air. I love exploring Souls worlds but am garbage at the gameplay, cheats allowed me to enjoy DS3 unhindered by this (offline of course). At least with ER being open world and more flexibility re: summons and coop this makes the hitting a wall experience less of a thing when you can just go off in a different direction and tackle said wall later.

Hopefully there's an option for offline mode, fingers crossed.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
You never encountered cheaters? or don't mind them being present in you game?
I don't know that I have ever come across one, but as I said, I don't play much online stuff.

I know some cheaters do exist out there, but I think a lot of people are just bad at games and like to blame cheaters like kids playing NES would throw the controller saying "this game cheats!"

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I can count the number of cheaters I've seen in DS games on one hand, so I hope this doesn't negatively impact my experience.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Hopefully it can be totally deactivated for an offline mode that won't mess with modding. Having some kind of anti-cheat is definitely welcome though as I've read the horror stories of hackers getting other players banned and the like in older Souls games.

PC-tan

Feb 25, 2018
That's a real shame. I'm guessing that some of this has to do with remote execute? So what happens if this still doesn't fix the issue?

I'm guessing that Elden Ring will not work out of the box now for Steam Deck?

Kayo Police

Nov 4, 2017
I personally have never run into a cheater online before in any of my playthroughs of DS123, has this always been a huge issue in Souls games?

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I personally have never run into a cheater online before in any of my playthroughs of DS123, has this always been a huge issue in Souls games?
Nope, I've seen 1 and he was just doing funny stuff instead of just cheating to win.

I think it's just a safety precaution with how bad cheating has been in pc games for the last few years.

scatrapper

Nov 25, 2021
I find cheating in souls games to make the game easier equalevent to looking at a Picasso through anti cube goggles to make the painting more realistic.

Dont mean to derail the thread into one of those anti or pro difficulty slider threads for Souls games again.

I suppose with cheats you could say this of any game though.

And I do remember turning on noclip in Duke Nukem when I was... 8 or 10, because I couldnt finish the game.

Sorry. Carry on.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think this is a good thing only if it stops hackers, but I have to wonder why now, on their fourth game in this formula for PC, do they care about this?

I also do not know how this is really going to stop trainers and cheat engine folk, seeing as a quick Google search for other games that had EAC show this is still a thing. What stops someone from getting 99 of an item and then going online, using it to abuse systems? Isn't this the thing they're trying to stop?

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Apparently there been reports of people getting banned in BF2042 for using MSI afterburner and Logitech G Hub. Guess i will have to remember to shutdown G hub before playing...

I wonder if that's why I got banned on apex a few years ago. They unbanned me after I submitted a ticket, so it may have been some type of false detection because of MSI Afterburner

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
I find cheating in souls games to make the game easier equalevent to looking at a Picasso through anti cube goggles to make the painting more realistic.

Dont mean to derail the thread into one of those anti or pro difficulty slider threads for Souls games again.

And I do remember turning on noclip in Duke Nukem when I was... 8 or 10, because I couldnt finish the game.

Sorry. Carry on.
I don't care what people do with a game they bought as long as it doesn't affect others. You wanna use cheats? I don't care as long as it's offline. It's not my business.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Sure, it *can* work but EAC has had Proton support since November and not a single dev has managed to hit the tickbox and include the .so file in their game repository. None. Just because it can work doesn't mean that the dev is willing to hit the tickbox and add the file to the directory. Evidence points to any developer involvement being too much developer involvement for Linux users.

I thought the tickbox was more recent development. Up til then, Linux support was only available on the Epic Online Services version, which made it a hassle.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
I thought the tickbox was more recent development. Up til then, Linux support was only available on the Epic Online Services version, which made it a hassle.

That's true, but for games using that newer version (newer releases) it was still just a tickbox for them (plus including the .so file that EAC provides them). And for BattleEye it's just an email asking their BE rep to enable it. And none of them did it.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
This seems to be the most recent Elden Ring thread going on so if you want to vote for the title of the OT, the poll is open now:

Thanks again to everyone who suggested titles for the Elden Ring OT that myself and vestan are putting together.

The poll to vote is open now for just over a week:
ELDEN RING ERA OT TITLE VOTE

Titles in the poll submitted by: Mifec Hailinel Griffith That Naive Cube!! ClearMetal cdudeachyut JMY86 apocat Banjo Tango NightmaresHunter FakePlasticTree Morrigan Kain-Nosgoth convo xpownz Skab Majin Boo BobSaac2 lucancel

May the best title win!

Deleted member 35509

Account closed at user request
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
I use an app called "WeMod" on my PC. Does that mean that won't work with Elden? WeMod gives me an "easy" mode for all of their games, would be sad to see it not work.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I know that this is the same anti cheat user by Fortnite and a few other games. It's really good and reliable.

I mean, it's the same anticheat used with Apex so...naw, it's really not.

I use an app called "WeMod" on my PC. Does that mean that won't work with Elden? WeMod gives me an "easy" mode for all of their games, would be sad to see it not work.
You may be forced to play offline only. Depends on how much leeway FROM and Valve allow.

Is it? On Nexus there are just 1k mods for Dark Souls, and they seem pretty limited in scope. Or are there mods elsewhere for From games?

1 Thousand mods is a LOT.

Not every game is Skyrim.

You never encountered cheaters? or don't mind them being present in you game?

I mean, your likelihood of encountering actual cheaters in games if you never break the diamond equivalent of ranked is pretty low. People cheating usually aren't out there pubstomping.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
It might work but EAC will almost assuredly detect it, and might hand you a ban as a result.

It remains to be seen how it's being implemented in this case but there have been cases where EAC is fully active even in single-player sessions, but seeing as these games have always been a mix of the two it's probably always active no matter what.

Last edited:

Deleted member 35509

Account closed at user request
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
I mean, it's the same anticheat used with Apex so...naw, it's really not.

You may be forced to play offline only. Depends on how much leeway FROM and Valve allow.

1 Thousand mods is a LOT.

Not every game is Skyrim.

I mean, your likelihood of encountering actual cheaters in games if you never break the diamond equivalent of ranked is pretty low. People cheating usually aren't out there pubstomping.

It might work but EAC will almost assuredly detect it, and might hand you a ban as a result.

It remains to be seen how it's being implemented in this case but there have been cases where EAC is fully active even in single-player sessions.

Lame. Why is single player online so often now? Leave me alone lol.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019

Sorry. Carry on.
I just can't get past the notion of why people care that much on how others want to enjoy a game if it has no impact on you.