• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
24. THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE.
a) EasyAntiCheat. BANDAI NAMCO is using EasyAntiCheat anti-cheat service ("EAC"), which is operated by a third-party service provider. EAC has a client software that is integrated into the Game. When you start the Game, the EAC client software will automatically load and install its latest version to the Hardware. EAC will monitor the Hardware, analyze the Game binaries and scan Hardware memory for the purpose of detecting and preventing cheating in the Game ("Purpose"). For the Purpose, EAC stores information regarding cheating methods used in the Game ("Cheat Data"). By agreeing to this Agreement, or otherwise using this Game, you give your consent that EAC may gather, store, share, and publish Cheat Data for the Purpose. The Cheat Data will be used solely for the Purpose, including but not limited to identifying and banning players who are cheating in the Game, analyzing cheating behavior and cheating codes, as well as sharing data about cheats with affiliates of EAC.

You can find more information about the privacy practices of EAC by viewing their privacy statement at www.easyanticheat.net/privacy. If you deny EAC the ability to process your personal data in accordance with their privacy statement or request EAC to remove or delete your personal data, we have the right to block your access to the Game and prevent your use of the Game.

Thanks to this r/PCGaming subreddit thread, I noticed a recently published EULA for ELDEN RING by Bamco on its STEAM Page.

Jager

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
UK
So there will still be plenty of cheaters then.

I was already ready to commit to the console version after the RCE exploits found in Dark Souls III the other week and now this just seals the deal, sadly.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully it'll have an offline mode so I can mess around with cheats and mods without fear of a ban on subsequent playthroughs

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully it'll have an offline mode so I can mess around with cheats and mods without fear of a ban on subsequent playthroughs

I'd be surprised if it didn't have an offline mode (which any souls game has), I'll be playing it offline as well with the same reason (mods and reshade).

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I'd be surprised if it didn't have an offline mode (which any souls game has), I'll be playing it offline as well with the same reason (mods and reshade).

Oh, yeah, I suppose I'm talking more about the anti-cheat feature being completely disabled when in offline mode or whatever. I'd rather not have to jump through hoops to get CE working with it.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
No? EAC supports Linux, Valve and Epic made it so easy they don't even have to touch the EXE, just ship a linux native library with the game.
Some Linux folks werent too happy to see this but most of them seem to be taking a wait and see approach. Hopefully From/Bamco does what needs to be done here.

Shaoran Hyku

Aug 6, 2020
After the problems with DS1 and 3, is expected I suppose. At least is not Denuvo or something like that, but yeah, still bad for people who want to play offline and don't want this kind of things in their PC.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
What about offline modes and disabling EAC for that? There are a ton of mods and 'cheats' that people use for challenge runs in Souls games and I imagine this EAC system with Elden Ring might block that?

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
No? EAC supports Linux, Valve and Epic made it so easy they don't even have to touch the EXE, just ship a linux native library with the game.
Sooooo, Linux users are basically shit out of luck, at least at launch. I do not believe FROM cares that much about the potential Proton users. I'd love to be proven wrong, especially now with Steam Deck maybe causing them to ship the game with the Linux library outright.

OP
OP
AshenOne

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
What about offline modes and disabling EAC for that? There are a ton of mods and 'cheats' that people use for challenge runs in Souls games and I imagine this EAC system with Elden Ring might block that?
Considering its FROM and not a seasoned PC developer, I have doubts in its implementation when it comes to mods and cheats for challenge runs...maybe if you do that stuff in offline mode, EAC won't ban you :P

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Hope FromSoft used the latest version of EAC for this, otherwise Steam Deck compatibility just went out the window.

OP
OP
AshenOne

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
So there will still be plenty of cheaters then.

I was already ready to commit to the console version after the RCE exploits found in Dark Souls III the other week and now this just seals the deal, sadly.
I doubt this will be any different than the previous souls games but now there is any anti-cheat. Shouldn't this have an opposite effect on the likes of you who wanted FROM to do something about cheating in Souls on PC in the past?

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Considering its FROM and not a seasoned PC developer, I have doubts in its implementation when it comes to mods and cheats for challenge runs...maybe if you do that stuff in offline mode, EAC won't ban you :P
Maybe somebody with more knowledge can speak to it but this seems entirely kneejerk due to the recent hacking issue. I could see them just wanting to do something to make sure the newest release gets some assurances(assuming EAC can offer that) vs just putting the game out there and being seen to do nothing.

In other words, I expect a lot of friction with the PC Souls community moving forward.

Qrusher14242

Oct 29, 2017
Apparently there been reports of people getting banned in BF2042 for using MSI afterburner and Logitech G Hub. Guess i will have to remember to shutdown G hub before playing...

Roel

Dec 22, 2021
Belgium
Is there any hope they might patch it out later on and use something else?
XAzzDt7.jpg

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
If ER was PS5/XSX only I wouldn't be concerned but since it is crossgen I wonder if we will see some shitshow on consoles too if the online exploits work on PS4.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AshenOne

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Regarding Anti-Cheat on PC in a FROM game, a Funfact..

Dark Souls II Vanilla actually had VAC activated at launch but FROM had to disable it cause it wasn't letting VAC banned players in OTHER VAC enabled games where they were banned, login or play Dark Souls 2 on STEAM.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
don't people know by now that you don't gain anything by cheating? you don't improve, you don't grow.

SirFritz

Jan 22, 2018
Regarding Anti-Cheat on PC in a FROM game, a Funfact..

Dark Souls II Vanilla actually had VAC activated at launch but FROM had to disable it cause it wasn't letting VAC banned players in OTHER VAC enabled games where they were banned, login or play Dark Souls 2 on STEAM.
The game never actually had VAC, all it did was ban you if you had been VAC banned. There's no evidence it had VAC in it itself.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
don't people know by now that you don't gain anything by cheating? you don't improve, you don't grow.

it depends on the game, Singleplayer of course. I played AoE 4 a bit and the game plays so slow without cheats it's not really fun.

For everything Multiplayer i agree with you.

Roel

Dec 22, 2021
Belgium
Halo MCC had the option to start with or without EAC enabled.
It would split the players in one group who wants to play without mods/hacks and one who allowed it.
It's the best and most elegant solution, and hope From Software also uses this.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
When the anti-cheat solution is far worse than the chests. Any good anti-cheat measure should be server-side.
How do you propose that should work for client side manipulation, such as wall hacking? And remember, it's not always practical to "just not send things the client can't see", due to the logistics of culling out data from the potential view frustum being potentially computationally expensive.

(Plus doing that too strictly while also allowing the client to predict movements in flight would cause constant pop in anyway.)

Deleted member 10675

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Madrid
How do you propose that should work for client side manipulation, such as wall hacking? And remember, it's not always practical to "just not send things the client can't see", due to the logistics of culling out data from the potential view frustum being potentially computationally expensive.
Tracking how the player moves and what is he aiming to against things he shouldn't see but the server can. There are already fan-made anti-cheats for old games like CS1.6 that do this server-side.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Uff - I hope they are not banning me for any accidental non cheating software like G-Hub, Afterburner or some Roccat software. I also hope the port is competent enough and we won't need any mod to make it run stable or upgrade the resolution or unlock fps.

I you get banned for nothing, can you still play the game offline? Or are you banned from playing the game altogether?

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
IIRC this destroys Linux compatibility right?

Unfortunately, realistically yes. Valve has worked with Epic to make it as easy as checking a tickbox in their EAC account and including the .so file next to the .dll file that they already include, but so far that seems to be too much work for every developer using EAC.

At this point I think ANY developer required action is too much to expect for Linux support, even a tickbox on a website.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Halo MCC had the option to start with or without EAC enabled.
It would split the players in one group who wants to play without mods/hacks and one who allowed it.
It's the best and most elegant solution, and hope From Software also uses this.

Oh yeah! Forgot Halo had that. That'd be perfect, yeah.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Tracking how the player moves and what is he aiming to against things he shouldn't see but the server can. There are already fan-made anti-cheats for old games like CS1.6 that do this server-side.
Indeed that's a good idea, as long as what you're actually tracking is an aimbot (on target percentage can be estimated to be uncharacteristically too high for objects moving fast at a close range, or indeed behind a wall).

If you aren't tracking for aimbots but just players using a wallhack alone by the potential FOV and being behind a wall, I could see the potential of this producing false positives for players who are just plain good at listening for players behind walls and predicting movements. I could even see that happening completely by accident by a player not even trying, if they are just hanging out in a spot of a map that would have good visibility of a map that's otherwise obstructed by a wall.

Edit: unless you do pattern recognition, does a players camera movements seem to sometimes follow anothers movements who they shouldn't be able to see or hear, especially if the movements aren't constant. It wouldn't be foolproof as you'd still need to set it to a somewhat high probability to clear out false positives, might have to do some initial training when you launch your game, but it's certainly a good idea conceptually. However while this does handle your average FPS, this won't really cover every game, not always. It's also not exactly a universal concept to implement, it's almost a given that lots of games would need to reinvent how to do such a thing to fit their own engines specifications and design, whereas EAC is scanning the environment the application is running in instead, it doesn't need to know how the assets behave.

Last edited: