• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which will sell better?

• Elden Ring

Votes: 1,756 58.0%
  • Horizon Forbidden West

Votes: 1,270 42.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

My Tulpa

alt account
Banned
Sep 19, 2021
As much as I love FromSoft, it's gotta be Horizon. People are making the "multiple platforms argument" but I don't think that holds up if you compare DS3 and HZD. I feel like the more accessible game with higher graphical fidelity is always gonna win out.

How do you explain that Dark Souls 3 and Horizon ZD have pretty much the same sales?

I believe Sekiro: SDT hit 5 million sales much faster than Horizon: ZD?

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen similar sentiment from more casual gamers, and I think that would lead to a backlash when those people discover the game is nothing like The Witcher 3 and the world is pretty much dead and doesn't have bustling cities with lots of NPCs. The trailers don't make it very clear to non-fans what kind of game it is. I expect a lot of very amusing WTF reactions when the game releases.
Wtf reactions from people angry about something Fromsoft never sold them?

Yan

Oct 29, 2017
I think Elden Ring.

It releases on multiple platforms out of the gate and From Software games are only getting more popular with every release. With ER currently as their biggest high.

Horizon will sell well but if I'm not mistaken we've seen that cross platform games sell less on last generation consoles and the bulk is sold on current gen consoles. With The PS5 audience still limited I think HFW will have a hard time to surpass the first Horizon.

g-m1n1

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
Voted Elden Ring.
But this thread is funny seeing how many people are living in the Era bubble. Horizon is a huge IP.

Also I've seen that HFW could win in long term because Sony makes aggressive 1st party discounts on their games???
I've seen older FROM games from Bandai Namco at 10€ or less on Steam/PSN. It's not something that only Sony is doing.
And Sony isn't doing aggressive price cuts on PS5…. Demon's Souls is on sale at 50€ 14 months after launch date.
Elden Ring will actually be the game with the pricing advantage.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Wtf reactions from people angry about something Fromsoft never sold them?
As if that ever stopped people from being angry. People's expectations matter, even if they're wrong. For example, Bethesda told people that there wouldn't be human NPCs in Fallout 76, but people were still angry about there not being human NPCs, because they just didn't pay attention and expected it.

I've seen quite a few casual gamers thinking that ER will be something along the lines of The Witcher 3/Skyrim, just with Souls combat. I've had to enlighten my friend that there won't be cities in the game. He was disappointed when he heard it--he had no idea about it. Unless people follow the game/From closely, it's not something one would simply guess from the trailers.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
As if that ever stopped people from being angry. People's expectations matter, even if they're wrong. For example, Bethesda told people that there wouldn't be human NPCs in Fallout 76, but people were still angry about there not being human NPCs, because they just didn't pay attention and expected it.

I've seen quite a few casual gamers thinking that ER will be something along the lines of The Witcher 3/Skyrim, just with Souls combat. I've had to enlighten my friend that there won't be cities in the game. He was disappointed when he heard it--he had no idea about it. Unless people follow the game/From closely, it's not something one would simply guess from the trailers.
Your anecdotal evidence aside I just have trouble trying to square your conjecture. I think its most likely that people who cant get a read on ER are then not gonna go out and buy it if they cant figure out what kind of game it is exactly, other then it being open world and a new game from a bunch of folks notorious for making difficult games.

The last point alone excludes a large chunk of the casual base.

Ilyahero

Nov 25, 2019
Elden ring of course. I think comparison between DS3 and horizon is invalid here. Elden ring will definitely sell more copies than dark souls.
I also think that ER will be a better game

Ilyahero

Nov 25, 2019
Horizon Zero Dawn sold 10 million copies when they reached February 2019. It would have probably reached 12 million by the end of 2019.

The From Software franchise as a whole sold 27+ million games by the last count; Demon's Souls, Dark Souls 1/2/3, Sekiro, Bloodborne. Those are 6 games in a longer release window.

Judging by those numbers I believe it is save to say that Horizon Forbidden West will beat it.
Wrong. Only souls trilogy sold about 30 million copies (bloodborne and sekiro not included). These numbers were provided by bamco and they have nothing to do with bb or sekiro. Also according to the latest edge interview with Miyazaki souls series has already sold more than 30 million copies

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I have no interest whatsoever in the Horizon franchise and I'm a huge From fan, but it will probably be Horizon. Wider appeal and will have a larger marketing budget thanks to Sony.

I wouldn't count Elden Ring 100% out, though. The hype is very high and it will be released to a much bigger install base. The George R.R. Martin name also helps.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Lifetime sales could be interesting, because Horizon will also launch on Steam later.
Elden Ring still has Xbox as an advantage.
It's really hard to say, but I'd say Elden Ring just because of the bigger installation base.

supkid

Oct 29, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
Anecdotal, but from my mainstream gaming friends who aren't avid followers of what's coming, none of them are hyped or even know about Elden Ring at all, but they all know that a new Horizon is coming. So I'm gonna go with Horizon.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Isn't that Spider-Man with over 20 million copies sold?

Spider-Man sold more as far as I'm aware.

We have no official numbers from Spiderman. The last official number is 13,5 Million i think? We got a Job Listing that says it sold "20 Million globally" but not sure how official that is.

We got Official numbers from GOW that it is at 19,5 Million by now.

Spiderman could sell more with the Remaster, but GOW has a PC release coming in a few days.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
SIE about to have another 20 million lifetime seller on their hands with Horizon Forbidden West. Then again with God of War Ragnarok.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
If Elden Ring keeps up the trend with each entry in the Dark Souls franchise selling more, I could see Elden Ring between all platforms ending up selling more if not at launch at least overtime.

klee123

Oct 27, 2017
I would say Horizon.

Sony's much stronger marketing and the mainstream appeal of Horizon will put the title ahead despite all the things going for ER.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Sony has been pushing Aloy pretty hard. Isn't she in Fortnite and Genshin Impact?

Let's see if it pays off with the more mainstream audience.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Sony has been pushing Aloy pretty hard. Isn't she in Fortnite and Genshin Impact?

Let's see if it pays off with the more mainstream audience.

Not to mention giving away Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition to everyone on PSN for free as part of the Play at Home initiative last year.

Got a friend playing through it right now to prep for Forbidden West since he got it for free.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
That is a tricky question…
Speaking for myself, as much as i think elden ring looks great i would never buy it because i hate from gameplay. I think initially Elden will sell more but in the lifetime sales Horizon will surpass it (it all comes down to reviews too, since a lot of people care about that)

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
That is a tricky question…
Speaking for myself, as much as i think elden ring looks great i would never buy it because i hate from gameplay. I think initially Elden will sell more but in the lifetime sales Horizon will surpass it (it all comes down to reviews too, since a lot of people care about that)

It is pretty easy to predict how the games will review, barring a Cyberpunk level disaster. Horizon will get 88/89 and Elden Ring will get 93/94. Can lock it in!

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
It is pretty easy to predict how the games will review, barring a Cyberpunk level disaster. Horizon will get 88/89 and Elden Ring will get 93/94. Can lock it in!
I'm going to bet Elder Ring will be closer to the higher 80s too, because not everyone will like the open world (unless FROM did magic, but I'm sure some purists will prefer the closed, interconnected level design).

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Well, since Sony is holding back when showing the game, maybe there's much more to it than we saw…Horizon could get a 90+

Farlander

Game Designer
Verified
Sep 29, 2021
If we're gonna talk just about sales, it's gonna be Horizon and it's not going to be even close.

A lot of hardcore online gaming community members might prefer Elden Ring.

But Horizon already did incredibly well as a new IP with Zero Dawn (and first release of a new AAA IP is a huge hurdle), so it's gonna do even better and faster with Forbidden West, with a much larger mass market appeal than Elden Ring has despite being a platform exclusive.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sekiro took 1 year and 4 months to hit 5 million sales on multiple platforms. Horizon Zero Dawn sold 7.6 million in just under a year on just the PS4. My money's on Horizon Forbidden West, but it may be closer this time who knows.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
I think Elden Ring could do better at launch, as it will be released on multiple platforms.

But I see Horizon taking the lead over time. HFW is just more accessible than ER, so it will continue to sell to a wider audience for years to come, especially with sales and such.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Did GoW sell more than the first Horizon? I feel like Horizon resonated better with casual gamers than GoW but that might just be in my circles.

Yes, GOW sold 10M in half the time it took Horizon to reach that mark.

GOW is now at ~19.5M, and the PC version is lauching in a few days.

God of War is the best selling Sony first Party game from the PS4 Era.
Isn't that Spider-Man with over 20 million copies sold?

Spider-Man should be confortably ahead of GOW, it's just that we didn't get official numbers since the last time (13M or so in 2019, GOW was at ~10M around that date).

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
I imagine lots of my co-workers will buy Horizon, but only a few are into the Souls stuff. It's not a very welcoming series

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Casual gamers will buy neither

I'm not sure whats the definition of casual gamer for you. I think of casual gamers as people who buy 2-3 games per year max. FIFA/Madden, maybe some shooter and some TPP action adventure game like Assassin's Creed. Horizon easily appeals to such audience and it will for sure have better marketing in mainstream media.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Based on HZD vs DS3 sales, Horizon 2 seems like the more likely winner in the long-run, especially when considering the eventual PC release.
But something about this Elden Ring hype...

Hernan532

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Sep 30, 2020
Like twice the amount of Horizon. GoW (2018) is Sony's second biggest best selling game of all time behind Spider-Man.
Until this month, GOW will sell a LOT on PC . So probably it will surpass Spiderman if you sum the amount of PS + PC in the future . I own it on PS but of course i will buy it on PC and a lot of people will do the same for sure haha

Last edited:

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
I'm thinking Horizon will edge it out.

This also has me thinking how these two juggernauts releasing a week apart after a pretty droughty year is more of a curse than a blessing.

Oct 30, 2017
Something to note, HFW will likely see a PC release. Maybe a 2024 release or something along those lines. Count on another 1-2 million there.

Hernan532

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Sep 30, 2020
I'm thinking Horizon will edge it out.

This also has me thinking how these two juggernauts releasing a week apart after a pretty droughty year is more of a curse than a blessing.
Well i think a week to finish HFW before ER is good. But to be honest i'm more excited for Lost Ark/Horizon than ER