• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Final predictions?

• GOAT

Votes: 260 23.3%
  • 95-99

Votes: 269 24.1%
  • 90-94

Votes: 388 34.8%
  • 85-90

Votes: 160 14.3%
  • Below 85

Votes: 38 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
So so many takes to parse through but I'm afraid of spoilers. Is there a general consensus on "difficulty?" I was someone who beat Bloodborne and had a great time, but I did have to use a few summons at times (fookin Ebrietas). Guessing I should be ok? Seems like there's more ability to level up and come back later?

Master_Funk

Oct 25, 2017
So so many takes to parse through but I'm afraid of spoilers. Is there a general consensus on "difficulty?" I was someone who beat Bloodborne and had a great time, but I did have to use a few summons at times (fookin Ebrietas). Guessing I should be ok? Seems like there's more ability to level up and come back later?

Yeah, with the sheer amount of stuff there is in this game compared to other games, there should be enough opportunity to overlevel your characters if you need to . Reviewers probably did not have as much luxury to do this since they were on such a tight deadline.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Haven't played it yet, but the general consensus seems to be that its just as mechanically hard as other games, but with more options and the ability to go our and find more content/level up if you hit a wall.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
So for all these reviews giving this 100%, no one at all cares about the awful performance? How on earth can anyone trust any of these reviewers? Seriously 10 out of 10 for this is just disingenuous in its state post day one patch.
Yeah, its a bit shitty. I get that the gameplay, story, combat, etc... are good. But you can't excuse crap performance like that, especially on PC.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, with the sheer amount of stuff there is in this game compared to other games, there should be enough opportunity to overlevel your characters if you need to . Reviewers probably did not have as much luxury to do this since they were on such a tight deadline.

Haven't played it yet, but the general consensus seems to be that its just as mechanically hard as other games, but with more options and the ability to go our and find more content/level up if you hit a wall.
Perfect, this would be exactly what I'm looking for.

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Antagonizing Another User
Dammit. I'm getting sucked in by teh hype.

BUT. As someone that has never enjoyed Souls games, I know I'm going to hate it.

Case in point.

1. Started Bloodborne
2. Woke up in some house
3. Went downstairs
4. A wolf thing appears
5. I get killed by it
6. I say "f**k this game"
7. Switch it off
8. Never touch Bloodborne again.

Any game that makes you feel like you have failed is a bad game, by my standards. I just know this is going to be a complete disaster.

200.gif

lol its not the games fault you never even gave it a chance... lol if i raged quit that bad id just wouldn't play games that i could die in at all.
If it's so early on. I went it worrying about all the worst things about Souls games that I'd heard about and, when killed so quickly, I just thought "This is all my worst fears about From Games come true". I have no time/patience to die repeatedly. Death should not be a learning experience. If there had ben a 30 minute opennig section that was basically a tutorial, maybe I'd have stuck with it.
just watch twtich lol sounds like you dont even play games lol

DaVeed

Banned
Jun 21, 2020
Yeah, its a bit shitty. I get that the gameplay, story, combat, etc... are good. But you can't excuse crap performance like that, especially on PC.
I really enjoyed FightinCowboy's review (although it's kind of long), he heaps praise on the game, but also offers constructive criticism and talks about the inconsistent frame rates and bugs on the PC version.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I really enjoyed FightinCowboy's review (although it's kind of long), he heaps praise on the game, but also offers constructive criticism and talks about the inconsistent frame rates and bugs on the PC version.
Yes, that was a good review. So was Fextralife's. However, they aren't in the Metacritic/OpenCritic with a number score. :(

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
If it's so early on. I went it worrying about all the worst things about Souls games that I'd heard about and, when killed so quickly, I just thought "This is all my worst fears about From Games come true". I have no time/patience to die repeatedly. Death should not be a learning experience. If there had ben a 30 minute opennig section that was basically a tutorial, maybe I'd have stuck with it.
That wolf is supposed to kill most players. You then get sent to the Hunter's Dream -- a tutorial world where you receive your first weapon and find messages teaching you how to play. So you quit before the tutorial. Amazing, lol.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
So for all these reviews giving this 100%, no one at all cares about the awful performance? How on earth can anyone trust any of these reviewers? Seriously 10 out of 10 for this is just disingenuous in its state post day one patch.
It's definitely possible that people enjoyed the game so much that despite all the performance issues they still gave it a 10. Which frankly is another argument to do away with scores altogether as a number will never convey the strengths and weaknesses of a game.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
lol its not the games fault you never even gave it a chance... lol if i raged quit that bad id just wouldn't play games that i could die in at all.
The game is poorly designed if it doesn't make me feel like I'm God of the Universe Wielding the Infinity Gauntlet While Being Fellatio'd by a Choir of Supermodel Angels

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Yes, believe it or not I have played Souls games before. Believe it or not I also remember some of their comments being hints even if cryptic and sometimes not for your benefit. I am saying that an in game journal might be cool. Doubly so if I get to add my custom notes to it like older CRPGs used to let you do. It is something I would ask for in pretty much any open world game.

Talking about how games used to do things is not the same as asking for From to fill the map with icons and have the game flash where you are supposed to go, with the MC saying "I really should check out X" every three minutes some seem to be imagining,

When it gets to the point of someone misinterpreting the point you're trying to make, it's apparent they weren't debating in good faith. Seems to be a common trend with these threads of taking something out of context in the most extreme fashion.

Fortunately you are in good company. The Souls community can be a very helpful lot.

Last edited:

Deleted member 50735

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 10, 2018
It's definitely possible that people enjoyed the game so much that despite all the performance issues they still gave it a 10. Which frankly is another argument to do away with scores altogether as a number will never convey the strengths and weaknesses of a game.
I'm thinking we should do away with reviewers altogether! Or maybe I should become one. I'd call myself, No Bollocks Gaming. Hey, don't anyone go stealing that!

Alfador

Feb 15, 2022
Obviously, a number can't tell you everything that's good and bad about a game. That's why reviewers also write articles and make videos.

I saw someone complaining they don't get what's good about Elden Ring but they're afraid to ask. Well, there are like 100 reviews you can read.

Rickafer

Oct 27, 2017
Man, thank god you dont make games huh lmao

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Definitely the fastest I have seen someone get filtered by a From game yet.
I respect you just saying "nope not for me" though.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
honestly i still can't believe it got a 97 on MC. Insane achievement.

I'm surprised but not shocked. When I think about BOTW, my feeling was always that the open world was so great, but I just wish they would have found a way to have classic Zelda dungeons and bosses integrated into the open world and then it would be perfect, perhaps the greatest game ever. Or when I played Halo Infinite, I loved the combat and liked elements of the open world, but I think the open world detracted a little bit from the cinematic/storytelling experience of the linear past Halo games.

So when I saw what From was doing, I felt like having an open world with all the strange From stuff would be great, but if they could pull off the integration of the classic Dark Souls-type areas and bosses fully that would be huge. And it sounds like that's exactly what they did (and why the game is so long).

It doesn't sound like a big thing, but creating a great open world and then integrating classic linear level design of the older games in the series is what I think the major accomplishment is here. The open world adds to the traditional experience rather than the give and take of when other series go open-world.

arglebargle

Oct 26, 2017
That's nothing compared to Neir Automata. I couldn't believe that I had to replay the entire first 45 minutes after dying right at the end. Never gone back
fortunately i beat that boss the first time i got there. would have been pretty pissed to have to start the game over again. ends up being worth it and i love the game but man, terrible choice especially since the combat definitely takes some learning/getting used to in that game.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah if I ever die to a boss or enemy due to stuttering I'm gonna be wondering about the perfect scores. We will find out how common it is in a few hours.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
goddamn i still havent gotten any confirmation from the store where i pre-ordered this... i will be pissed if i cant pick up my copy tomorrow, then i have to wait til next week to play it. i will raaaaage.

and no i will never buy digital if its significantly more expensive, seems insane to me, even if it guarantees getting to play it early. also i would miss out on all the cool things you get with the launch edition like the stickers, art cards, even a woven patch heh. i love that stuff personally.

DustyVonErich

Oct 31, 2017
Dammit. I'm getting sucked in by teh hype.

BUT. As someone that has never enjoyed Souls games, I know I'm going to hate it.

Case in point.

1. Started Bloodborne
2. Woke up in some house
3. Went downstairs
4. A wolf thing appears
5. I get killed by it
6. I say "f**k this game"
7. Switch it off
8. Never touch Bloodborne again.

Any game that makes you feel like you have failed is a bad game, by my standards. I just know this is going to be a complete disaster.
If I remember correctly, doesn't the first death in BB help you…
(by sending you to the Hunter's Dream to)
… collect your first weapons?

Bruh, I think you're right to stay away from Elden Ring then.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017

Here's the logical fallacy of that position: Many reviews mention this and factor it into their scores -- it's just scoring 10s and 9s despite that. I watched two reviews this morning that docked the game a point/half-point for this but because the game was otherwise a 10, its still a 9.5 or 9. (One reviewer specifically gave it a 9 on PC, 10 on PS5.) Other reviewers have noted the problems as well but said that the game itself is so good, the performance issues aren't enough to ruin the experience and give it a 10 regardless.

None of this is ignoring the performance issues, it just means the experience is greater than the sum of its parts, which is something you can't judge for yourself until you have it in your hands. That's not "excusing crap performance" that's evaluating a game as a whole. Critique is not a science.

Bookman

Oct 27, 2017
Has From Sotfware reacted on the enormous amount of love the game has gotten from the reviewers ?

Alfador

Feb 15, 2022
I just want a boss that lives up to sister Friede

Did you see what Dan Tack was tweeting? About the boss he found in Elden Ring that he said was the best and hardest boss From has ever made. Totally optional and maybe even hidden, though, from the sound of it. He said he couldn't put it down, and finally got up in the middle of the night and beat it at 3 AM in his pajamas.

slorelli

Nov 1, 2017
Ohio
I'm surprised but not shocked. When I think about BOTW, my feeling was always that the open world was so great, but I just wish they would have found a way to have classic Zelda dungeons and bosses integrated into the open world and then it would be perfect, perhaps the greatest game ever. Or when I played Halo Infinite, I loved the combat and liked elements of the open world, but I think the open world detracted a little bit from the cinematic/storytelling experience of the linear past Halo games.

So when I saw what From was doing, I felt like having an open world with all the strange From stuff would be great, but if they could pull off the integration of the classic Dark Souls-type areas and bosses fully that would be huge. And it sounds like that's exactly what they did (and why the game is so long).

It doesn't sound like a big thing, but creating a great open world and then integrating classic linear level design of the older games in the series is what I think the major accomplishment is here. The open world adds to the traditional experience rather than the give and take of when other series go open-world.
This X's 5! I loved BOTW but something really was missing with the lack of unique themed dungeons and enemy variety on display. Elden Ring seems to deliver this in spades with From's unique flavor of gameplay, exploration and storytelling. I haven't been this hyped for a game since BOTW, and after Elden Ring I will be hyped to see what Nintendo can do with the sequel. Clearly, they will need to bring it to compete with what From has accomplished here, but if there is one developer that can do it, it's them.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
This is gonna be a weird concept to era but lots of people don't give a single shit about performance. Many don't even notice and if they do, it's not a bother

In a forum where so many people played old games that ran "terribly" it's just shocking to me how many care. I get "I wish it was better" but "this is unplayable" is just really unrelatable to me

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
Great to see a game get such high praise. I loved Bloodborne, but this one doesn't interest me personally. Some people get mad when a game they don't want to play reviews very well; those people are weirdos.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't taken physical notes on a video game since The Bard's Tale on the NES, drawing dungeon maps out on graph paper.

I went and bought a little notebook for this game. I'm kinda excited about it for whatever reason.

Oct 27, 2017
. . .
We are talking about video games, right?

Joeshabadoo

Jan 3, 2019
I'm surprised but not shocked. When I think about BOTW, my feeling was always that the open world was so great, but I just wish they would have found a way to have classic Zelda dungeons and bosses integrated into the open world and then it would be perfect, perhaps the greatest game ever.
I hear what you're saying and partially agree, and by no means do I want to detract from what it seems like From have accomplished here. Evolving their combat that people adore while retaining the DNA of their games and successfully placing it in to a sprawling mysterious world is precisely what so many have dreamt about I'm sure. Beyond that if the lore is compelling without being too obfuscated that's even more impressive.

That said I hesitate to boil BotW's strengths down to a finely crafted explorable open world. The game is equally about encouraging and rewarding creativity and experimentation within its systems and mechanics. To that end it appears that the sequel is going to once again be about that; new ones. Relates more to a Nintendo design ethos vs a From design ethos which, reductively, is about tremendously fine-tuned RPG experiences ('role-playing' being the highly operative term)

Don't know exactly where I was going with all this and don't want to just seem like a defense force but let's not dog on games in a thread about celebrating one?

cgatto

Feb 9, 2018
Canada
Another case of "10/10 does not equal flawless". Someone giving a game a 10/10 but also saying "it has X issues" is perfectly valid.

Status
Not open for further replies.