• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Final predictions?

• GOAT

Votes: 260 23.3%
  • 95-99

Votes: 269 24.1%
  • 90-94

Votes: 388 34.8%
  • 85-90

Votes: 160 14.3%
  • Below 85

Votes: 38 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's easily better than Bloodborne. Easily.

This game is many times the scope and achievement of Bloodborne. No comparison. Frankly, I do not put them in the same league, and I love Bloodborne. There is nothing that compares to ER.
Like the melee gameplay is offering the same richness, with transformations and combos ? Because that's the singularity of BB among their titles (with Sekiro too). The other would be the theme, but it's valid for all their games so not unique.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017

I always get so... disgruntled by sentiments like these when it comes to builds or where to go like DS1 skeletons. Not because these people are wrong or whatever but because a lot of the time, they're just psyching themselves out. The real obstalce here is yourself. And I just want so bad just to reach through the screen and give em a pep talk or something.

Souls games have some of the most flexible leveling up systems and pathing around. Elden Ring triply so. Don't give up, skeleton!

I totally agree. There's no wrong way to play these games and people get worried they're messing it up.

GreyFox

Oct 28, 2017
It's almost time. Until then, it's time for accolades:

eldenring_fox-png.4481

freetacos

Oct 30, 2017
Bay Area, CA

I always get so... disgruntled by sentiments like these when it comes to builds or where to go like DS1 skeletons. Not because these people are wrong or whatever but because a lot of the time, they're just psyching themselves out. The real obstalce here is yourself. And I just want so bad just to reach through the screen and give em a pep talk or something.

Souls games have some of the most flexible leveling up systems and pathing around. Elden Ring triply so. Don't give up, skeleton!

yeah it's absolutely a personal thing and psyching yourself out. I've never found it an actual flaw of the game itself. just how someone's brain works

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
People should try not to latch too much into the not as positive impressions. They appear to be the outliers, and it will only make you concerned if you let it.

Best way to know if it's for you is to just give it a chance. :)

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
FromSoft, what a developer.

Bethesda released The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim on November 11, 2011

Shortly after, on the 22nd of November FromSoft released Dark Souls.

Then Dark Souls 2, Bloodborne, Dark Souls 3, Sekiro, and now Elden Ring.

And for all we know, they'll release yet another masterpiece before The Elder Scrolls VI, still, lmao.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California

This game is many times the scope and achievement of Bloodborne. No comparison. Frankly, I do not put them in the same league, and I love Bloodborne. There is nothing that compares to ER.
Thanks for this bit of info. I love BB but I'm ready to move on from its constant references.

So many people are stuck thinking the Bloodbourne formula can't be topped. The game is 7 years old and jagged to hell with bad frame pacing. It was bound to be topped and I'm glad to hear that it has been. I thought Sekiro and DS3 were better.

CrocM

Oct 25, 2017
People should try not to latch too much into the not as positive impressions. They appear to be the outliers, and it will only make you concerned if you let it.

Best way to know if it's for you is to just give it a chance. :)
IT's funny because FROM thought that this would have the highest clear rate of their games due to increased accessibility, but it will probably be the lowest because a ton of people who otherwise wouldn't touch it are going to because of the hype.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I feel that most Souls players, at some point, have had to overcome the feeling of stress or being psyched out by some challenge, some boss, some stressful path of the level.

When I played Demon's Souls, I was mostly stressed out throughout most of my first playthroughs. There's always a barrier, a mental struggle before things start clicking for you. Sometimes it only clicks once you revisit a level after a long period of time, sometimes it clicks after you take a break, but it's in those small victories that you gain confidence in your ability and your enjoyment of the game grows in turn.

With that said, I disagree with the implication that just because a person is psyched out or stressing about what they should that they are not enjoying the game. I was fully stressed out of my mind playing Demon's Souls, particularly on levels like Shrine of Storms, but that does not mean I was not enjoying myself, it just meant that I was finding it challenging and was fully immersed into its oppressive environment.

Nowadays playing those same sections feels like a cakewalk, but I still get a sense of satisfaction upon rediscovering how much I improved as a player.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for this but if info. I love BB but I'm ready to move on from its constant references.

So many people are stuck thinking the Bloodbourne formula can't be topped. The game is 7 years old and jagged to hell with bad frame pacing.
I replayed BB in preparation for Elden Ring. BB holds up and is still one of the greatest games ever made. Sekiro is the only game From has made that I think is as good. Excited for Elden Ring for sure!

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
Oh, my bad. I was talking about performance.

Even on RTX 3080 the game, supposedly, stutters, freezes and crashes, which, in my opinion, are pretty valid reasons to lower the score of the game.

The PC reviews I've seen barely, if at all, mention the game's performance or the PC specs where they have reviewed the game

I have a GTX 1650 and I'm planning on jumping in from Friday night to Tuesday (have 2 lucky days off to add the the weekend on ER's launch), and I'm going to buy it, i wouldn't pass this opportunity (i usually don't have much time off), but I'm very worried reviewers are amazed by the game because it's Elden ring and are ignoring the technical issues (or worse, are playing on Godly machines and so can't represent the majority of us, poor potato PC players, which are the majority on steam, btw).
Oh, yeah. I definitely agree that tech issues should have an impact on the overall score. I guess we'll have to see how widespread those issues are once PC players get their hands on the game.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
IT's funny because FROM thought that this would have the highest clear rate of their games due to increased accessibility, but it will probably be the lowest because a ton of people who otherwise wouldn't touch it are going to because of the hype.

I wonder how much the GRRM contribution and name will contribute to those sales. Is his name listed on the box anywhere?

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I totally agree. There's no wrong way to play these games and people get worried they're messing it up.
This is me when playing Persona games :P

For Souls though I pay almost no attention to if I'm doing things right or if I'm missing characters. Stuff just happens around me, I have no idea why, and that's part of the magic of it.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
With that said, I disagree with the implication that just because a person is psyched out or stressing about what they should that they are not enjoying the game. I was fully stressed out of my mind playing Demon's Souls, particularly on levels like Shrine of Storms, but that does not mean I was not enjoying myself, it just meant that I was finding it challenging and was fully immersed into its oppressive environment.
Oh absolutely agreed. If you read his thread, the context here is that he's really only dabbled in Souls games (and presumably this is one component as to why).

Risev

Oct 27, 2017

And for all we know, they'll release yet another masterpiece before The Elder Scrolls VI, still, lmao.
I mean bethesda also released fallout 4 and fallout 76 ( main team helped develop that as well according to Shrier) and are set to release Starfield this year.

Not a commentary about the quality of the games, just that Bethesda games undoubtedly are of larger scales and require more dev time.

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Some of you really need to take your hatred for other games elsewhere...damn it why does every review thread of successfull games turn into this?

Oh well onto the OT anyway.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
I replayed BB in preparation for Elden Ring. BB holds up and is still one of the greatest games ever made. Sekiro is the only game From has made that I think is as good. Excited for Elden Ring for sure!
BB is a jagged mess to me now and I tried to play it a couple months ago. It gave me a terrible headache and made me nauseous. It was not a good experience and I'd love a remake to fix this. Even if it's just a 4K 60 patch.

gaugebozo

Oct 25, 2017
I still feel like this is gonna be my first souls game.
Regardless of what Elden Ring actually is, I don't think she's right about starting points. There is a bunch of stuff that's been improved as FROM has become more knowledgeable about player experience. Just things like menus and what the player can do. For example, you can only roll in 8 directions in DS 1. You can get cursed a few hours into the game in a way that many people just start over. They seemed to have left a lot of this behind, but kept the stuff that makes it a unique experience.

None of their games hold your hand, but the more recent ones seem like friendlier places to start (even if some are more difficult).

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
For newcomers let me tell you this.

Despite concerns of difficulty, when you push through it and get to those bosses AND defeat them, the sense of accomplishment is on a whole different level.

First time playing Demons Souls on PS3. It was tough as nails. When I finally beat the Phalanx I was happier than a pig in shit.

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018

Wait, why are we comparing From to Bethesda?

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I've never dabbled in magic in a Souls game, but this might be the first time I try. Looks pretty fun. ER will also be the first time I start a playthrough as a Deprived/Wretch. I'm going to savour the experience of discovery. A nice distraction from the miserable real world.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
I mean bethesda also released fallout 4 and fallout 76 ( main team helped develop that as well according to Shrier) and are set to release Starfield this year.

Not a commentary about the quality of the games, just that Bethesda games undoubtedly are of larger scales and require more dev time.

Not to mention have amazing modding potential as well. Bethesda games are incredible feats.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
so, will have to buy now i guess (and never finish probably)
waiting on df video with day1 patch,

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
confession- I didn't really like DS3

I had fun in the first playthrough but every time I think about it, it reminds me of modern WWE (except way better, obviously)

lots of hype "moments" but nothing that really drags me in and the DS1 callbacks were more obnoxious than they were in dark souls 2

Oct 25, 2017
From what I've seen/read this doesn't really seem to be too different than the previous Souls games, at least not different enough to buy it at full price. After playing like 5 of these games in a row its hard to really care about "Souls, but bigger". Might play this years from now when its cheap and im bored or something

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
I actually disagree on the last point. The post game is the only reason I wouldn't give it a perfect score. I found the dark side levels to be really dull/unimaginative. Especially after a certain cameo level...Really hard to go from a super high point to those moon levels.

For me, I include in the postgame the extra moons that that were sent to each planet and the collectathon to 999 in addition to the dark side stuff and the throwback kingdom. I found revisiting the levels and trick jumping experimentation and challenges to be extremely fun.

iamsirjoshua

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I was just kinda goofin' and being hyperbolic about my hype for Elden Ring. Wasn't trying to piss anyone off or anything, that's why I added the spoiler.

I apologize, your post was totally fine and I didn't mean to imply otherwise. In fact, this thread is exactly where this sort of discussion makes sense. They're totally fine on their own - it's fun to be excited and nothing you said came across as anything other than goofing around. So really, I am sorry as I didn't want to lessen any of your excitement there.

On my end, it's just when comments like that pile up in threads otherwise unrelated to Elden Ring (which has happened in several other review threads or OT's recently), it gets really old really fast. I have absolutely zero problem with Elden Ring until everything else gets compared to it.

Thanks for reminding me of this gem.

OK, that is hilarious.

But that's what happens when a game of this caliber comes out. It dominates the narrative, and often times deservedly so.

I'll quote my avatar on this one.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Miyazaki went to America several times to meet with George RR Martin. They talked about what kind of things they both liked in a fantasy world, and what kind of story to create. At that time, ut was determined that GRRM would create the story of the world through events and characters existing several hundred years BEFORE the events in Elden Ring.

Miyazaki took this story and characters, flung the world several hundred years into the future and twisted it beyond recognition in his own style. Thats why the game is distinctly Miyazaki. But GRRM did play a significant role. Hope that clears up questions about that. Its from the Edge magazine Miyazaki interview this month edition.
Wow...that sounds amazing and a brilliant way to collaborate on building a new IP

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
confession- I didn't really like DS3

I had fun in the first playthrough but every time I think about it, it reminds me of modern WWE (except way better, obviously)

lots of hype "moments" but nothing that really drags me in and the DS1 callbacks were more obnoxious than they were in dark souls 2
Also it's almost as if the game is purposely ugly most of the time. Hard to love the art direction IMO.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
If you asked me 6 months ago if I was buying this I'd have said no. I've never beaten a Souls game. I've tried but always hit a wall. But I've recently beaten Nioh 2 ng+ and playing ng++. I feel like it's time to try again.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017

Bloodborne is my GOAT and for me its essential to include the DLC in that (because 4 of the best bosses are in that).

So for me when people say this, its just an amazing level of praise. I know the guy from Game Informer said that BB was his goat and that ER would top it if the level of quality was maintained.

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
Like the melee gameplay is offering the same richness, with transformations and combos ? Because that's the singularity of BB among their titles (with Sekiro too). The other would be the theme, but it's valid for all their games so not unique.
I can tell you from playing Bloodborne and the CNT that it is miles ahead of Bloodborne's combat.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
If you asked me 6 months ago if I was buying this I'd have said no. I've never beaten a Souls game. I've tried but always hit a wall. But I've recently beaten Nioh 2 ng+ and playing ng++. I feel like it's time to try again.
Oh you're ready alright. Nioh 2 is freaking hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.