• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Final predictions?

• GOAT

Votes: 260 23.3%
  • 95-99

Votes: 269 24.1%
  • 90-94

Votes: 388 34.8%
  • 85-90

Votes: 160 14.3%
  • Below 85

Votes: 38 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Series X issues are dissapointing as I dont have a PS5, hope the day 1 patch fixes some of it at least.

Though I have it better than a friend of mine whos gonna play this on a OG Xbone.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
This needs to be broadcast.

Performance:
XSX: 45-50fps
PS5: 55-60fps

Quality:
XSX: 35-45fps
PS5: 40-45fps

Edit: Likely not with day 1 patch. Also re: not broadcasting this. My opinion is that we're 1.5 days from release, people need to make an educated decision for themselves. If you don't mind or believe the day 1 patch should boost perf by 10fps, then no need for alarm. If you can wait, I encourage you to wait for videos that catalog the day 1 patch perf.

The game is out in 21 hours in some regions, I really don't believe that the game hasn't had its day 1 patch deployed yet. That might be it, we'll see.

Ozymandias

Jun 9, 2018
I can't believe this exists. It's not everyday that you can have absurd levels of hype and still be 100% sure that the real thing will surpass every expectation.

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I am pretty sure it'll be close between Elden Ring and Breath of the Wild 2, but we shall see.

You're most likely right assuming BoTW2 doesn't get delayed.

I've read nearly all the major reviews for BoTW and am a massive fan of the first game. Reading these reviews... I am not sure of the last time I've heard of the press gush about something like ER. It reads like ER expands on many things that made that game special and imprinted it with all that is good about Souls.

Should be interesting.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
but it can't.

thats the point, if it could, it would do it.

do you really think devs hamper the game on purpose????
Well it's more that they run out of dev time to perfectly optimize particular platforms. That's just the nature of these things. This game was already delayed and seemed pretty down to the wire. I personally don't see this as a big deal, but I don't really think it's important for a game to be running at max performance to enjoy it, so whatever.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Outside of a few humble brags here and there, and some toxic nonsense around (like most communities), I don't see this the way you're suggesting it.

What people tend to say is that the difficulty is over pronounced, that it seems a lot more impenetrable than it really is. This is due to the fact that there is a fairness to the difficulty, that if you pay attention your mistakes will teach you to improve, that with patience and perseverance you will very likely push through walls you thought were impossible to move beyond.

I have read /so/ many posts from people who say they usually play on easier difficulties, or avoid challenging games usually, who have completed multiple Souls games. I know people who play games on lower difficulties than myself and cannot keep up in competitive modes, but have made far more progress than me in these games.

This is exactly what has always made these games so appealing to me.

This reminds me of one of my favorite moments from Dark Souls 1.

(From an article I wrote on Dark Souls 1)
Probably my favorite example of how the game provides hints to the player is early on, at the beginning of the Undead Parish. The player runs into an armored boar enemy that proves to be much more powerful than anything the player has had to fight so far. A frontal assault is likely to prove ineffective, but there's a set of stairs to the side that the player can escape to.

After a few relatively easy fights up the stairs, the player discovers several monster lure items on a ledge directly above the armored boar. What the player should do soon becomes obvious -- throw a few monster lure items into a nearby fire, and watch as the armored boar commits suicide by running into the fire.

A lesser game would have had given the player a message like "Try throwing the monster lure at the fire to kill the armored boar!" when they picked up the monster lure items. By not explicitly telling the player what to do but by leading them towards the answer, Dark Souls allows the player to feel clever for figuring the solution out.
(end article excerpt)

The later games have gotten faster & harder, but something like Dark Souls 1 is much more manageable than say Ninja Gaiden Black or Devil May Cry 3. Patience is needed more than expert reflexes.

Jin

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, I don't like this

I love this as much as I love zero question marks on the map like every other open world game does.

This is exactly how it worked before in every other souls game and it is not like this game will throw 30 different questlines in your face every hour of gameplay.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
From the Eurogamer review:

Also, in all honesty, George R.R Martin's heavy inclusion in the marketing for the game remains rather baffling; the exact nature of his contribution is unclear at best. One can only assume it was a collaboration designed to raise the game's profile in non-hardcore circles, but if there's one studio that needed no help in crafting an enticing dark fantasy game world, From Software is it, and George R.R Martin's cultural currency in 2022 is hardly enough to change the trajectory of Elden Ring's success on its own.

Haven't followed closely, but this guys inclusion seemed like a slapped on "Tom Clancy" sticker at best, and completely unnecessary given the developer. Very impressive reviews.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well it's more that they run out of dev time to perfectly optimize particular platforms. That's just the nature of these things. This game was already delayed and seemed pretty down to the wire. I personally don't see this as a big deal, but I don't really think it's important for a game to be running at max performance to enjoy it, so whatever.

thats my point.

if optimizing can be done, it will be done when they have the time.

but for now, if you are playing on x console, there is literally nothing that can be done, until a patch comes

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
no quest log, what year is this

Games like this don't have traditional quests with markers that tell you where to go and what to do. It's usually some NPC saying some vague shit and you figuring out what they meant hours later, only to return to the guy and see he disappeared and now shows up somewhere else in the game. It's part of the charm of these games. A quest log would kinda ruin that.

CabooseMSG

Jun 27, 2020
but it can't.

thats the point, if it could, it would do it.

do you really think devs hamper the game on purpose????
They don't have to be doing it on purpose. Its just a matter of fact that the majority of games have slightly higher fidelity on XSX and load slightly faster on PS5. Not crazy to think it wont get there eventually.

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
Gotta love the Fextralife review for ragging on the million editions of Skyrim. Sounds like Elden Ring is more approachable than the standard FromSoft fare. Should hopefully add more audience to the Souls community. I'm really looking forward to it.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Knew it was going to review well, but damn this is something else.
Do we know anything about PS4 Pro performance?

Aug 12, 2019
So the PC port is in rough shape is what I'm seeing through all the mountains of praise for the game itself? I was wondering if I should try to get this on PC since it's my only option (PS5 is around the world at home while I'm abroad working) or if I should just wait til I could play it on PS5...

Ah well, waiting never hurt anyone.

Oct 29, 2017
USA
After watching the Easy Allies review, it looks like Dark Souls but open-world. I'm still not seeing the draw for me even with this absurdly high score. This could just be one of those hit games where I'm happy for the fans and I'll just be on the sidelines cheering for everyone.

Sellda

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, that's a high score. Was not expecting this. They should of lift the embargo last week to drive the hype

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
Last time I remember putting pen to paper while playing a game is when FFXIV launched. Conveniently, the collector's edition came with a journal.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
refEAx.jpg

Sounds like there will be a group of people begging for this. Sincerely, never change FromSoft.

Sellda

Oct 25, 2017
After watching the Easy Allies review, it still looks like Dark Souls but open-world. I'm still not seeing the draw for me even with this absurdly high score. This could just be one of those hit games where I'm happy for the fans and I'll just be on the sidelines cheering for everyone.

I never got into any of the the souls game, But I love sekiro very much tho.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
So if post-Day 1 patch a AAA game still has an approximately 10 fps disadvantage on "more powerful" hardware, what exactly could explain that? Have we seen that at all yet in any other game since these machines launched?

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
For me FROM games aren't hard at all, they require more trial and error than what you regularly find in AAA games that is much easy to appeal a wider audience

For me hard games are I don't know bullet hell or rythm games on higher levels that require you to practice and specific stage or song an excessive amount of times before you get good at it

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
I've loved everything about this game so far until this. Nah, this isn't something I enjoy. Guess I'm going to play without doing this and hopefully that works out.

The kind of NPC quests this refers to are never mandatory in Souls games.

They're not even really "quests" in the way you're thinking of if you haven't played Souls games before.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
The game is out in 21 hours in some regions, I really don't believe that the game hasn't had its day 1 patch deployed yet. That might be it, we'll see.
As far as I know, those performance numbers are the same we saw on the tech test a while back. If thats with the day 1 patch applied, the patch didnt do jack shit lmao.

Sonix

Prophet of Regret
Aug 3, 2020
Imagine instantly piling on one user who vaguely said they might not like one single decision in this game. The discussion around this game will be great, I'm sure.

Oct 28, 2017
thats my point.

if optimizing can be done, it will be done when they have the time.

but for now, if you are playing on x console, there is literally nothing that can be done, until a patch comes
Doesn't matter. I still have the right to complain about it. If that takes away your hype and spoils your fun, then ignore it. Otherwise, why do you even care?

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
Yeah, I imagine this, the new Horizon, God of War, and BotW 2 will be the big contenders for the year

Horizon is already out of it with these scores for Elden Ring.

Zelda and God of War are the only two that might come close but with both of those looking more like iterative sequels I doubt they'll reach this high of critical acclaim (but still do very well, probably 90+).

Status
Not open for further replies.