• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Final predictions?

• GOAT

Votes: 260 23.3%
  • 95-99

Votes: 269 24.1%
  • 90-94

Votes: 388 34.8%
  • 85-90

Votes: 160 14.3%
  • Below 85

Votes: 38 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
Ive been telling myself this is the perfect game and hits every noye i want in a game

will be my game of the forevers

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I want to play it badly but I suck at from software. Tried to played Bloodbourne but got my ass handed. I want an easier mode but I know the fanbase doesn't want that and says "get gud". The only games I played are the hardest difficulty were the uncharted series, the last of us( part 1 and 2), and some COD games.

They really aren't that difficult, you just have to persevere. The "difficulty" is adjusting your mindset to the playstyle.

sappyday

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Demon's Souls - Game of the Year 2009
Dark Souls - Game of the Year 2011
Bloodborne - Game of the Year 2015
Sekiro - Game of the Year 2019
Elden Ring - Game of the Year 2022

Miyazaki is a top 5 developer

Oct 26, 2017
Jesus, I wasn't expecting to see scores like that again till WAY later in the generation. If there are folk who don't like Souls games getting into this, maybe I'll give it a shot

Incredible. Glad Miazaki and FromSoft are still climbing higher and higher. Also with this, people might actually shut up about BotW being the apex of gaming.
If only people did that for From Software games on here

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
FromSoft games on PC have always had these issues so it's not new to Elden Ring...the Day 1 patch and future patches should help...but the game still sounds very playable as is on PC
It sounds playable but not much more than that. The best report I heard was Schrier and he was just brushing off the crashes he had. Everybody else seemingly switched over to the PS5 version or were complaining about issues left and right.

wingthor

Sep 18, 2021
Very few reviewers seem to be commenting on the quality of the story / lore. I would think with GRRM being involved, that would have been a major point to discuss in a review.

Bio Booster Armoire

Prophet of Truth
Apr 21, 2020
Puzzles don't normally require reflexes and timing. You could argue any boss that has patterns and weaknesses is a puzzle. I certainly wouldn't recommend a Souls game to someone who enjoys puzzles.

So you're saying I shouldn't buy my nan a copy of Elden Ring to go along with her large print crossword book this Christmas?

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
I like how people keep mentioning Horizon, when PC players are juggling Lost Ark, Destiny 2, WoW 9.2 and Guild Wars 2 expansion coming next week.

LetsEatSnacks

Oct 18, 2020
United States
Yes. PS5 has a good performance increase compared to XSX, but XSX has access to VRR displays.

The latter will be better, but if you don't have a VRR display then PS5 looks like the way to go for now.

You can find the comparisons in the thread somewhere.

Thanks for that info. I have the Sony Bravia X900h which has VRR but it has a whole lot of problems. Guess this still makes things difficult for me.
Someone posted it earlier. Without day 1 patch this is how it stands. With the patch I am not sure

Performance:
XSX: 45-50fps
PS5: 55-60fps

Quality:
XSX: 35-45fps
PS5: 40-45fps

Appreciate it. Hoping the patches iron things out because the Series X should be handling things a bit better than the PS5 on paper. 45-50 sounds kind of like an awful experience.

tarman76

Oct 27, 2017
"Elden Ring is a fantastic game that can still deliver the unmatched thrill of defeating a tough boss after an hours-long battle"

I'm glad yall are getting the game you want but this type of fun is not for me. Enjoy and congrats!

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
This is good news for open-world games in general.

They need a massive shake-up.

It's no coincidence that the two with this similar philosophy are among the highest-rated games ever.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Congratulation to FROM Software, they've surpassed even my expectations with these scores!

I'm skipping all video reviews, can't wait to start playing on Friday afternoon. I'm still thinking about PC [with 1080Ti] or PS5, most likely PS5.

nss

Apr 10, 2018
I've said it before, but it's hilarious to me to see another master piece of an open world game releasing within a week of Horizon.

(Loving Forbidden West, but I won't be able to finish before Elden Ring and Fromsoft always has priority)

Omnipotent

User requested ban
Banned
Feb 28, 2021
Very few reviewers seem to be commenting on the quality of the story / lore. I would think with GRRM being involved, that would have been a major point to discuss in a review.
Some quotes from TheLoreHunter sent directly to me about his opinions on the lore:

It's rich and we will be debating such nuanced and detailed points
The lore has overwhelmed and delighted me

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for that info. I have the Sony Bravia X900h which has VRR but it has a whole lot of problems. Guess this still makes things difficult for me.

Thanks for this info. Hoping the patches iron things out because the Series X should be handling things a bit better than the PS5 on paper. 45-50 sounds kind of like an awful experience.
Does that mean you don't get to use your VRR for games? That would suck a lot, it's such a great feature... and 45-50 would be absolutely fine with that enabled if it worked well.

Hope the patches sort it out for you.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Breath of the Wild was always a springboard in the pursuit for something greater. Its greatest achievement wasn't stuff like the paraglider or free climbing, but that it had such a leisurely and accessible approach to a systems driven open world (to this day people still post brand new crazy clips of numerous tricks and mechanics mastery they find). Its flaws were things both games inspired by it and the series itself will likely have found interesting talking points on how to "solve", hence why it's still such a prominent game to compare anything to. Elden Ring's solution seems to be leaning in on its series' staple combat design which it continues to accomplish with flying colors from the looks of it, whereas I reckon BOTW2 will mostly continue its focus on systems driven mechanics and puzzles, likely incorporating fleshed out dungeons and more mechanics. Ultimately I reckon both series will diverge heavily because of their committal to their design philosophies, and that the both of them will be really good at it.

As we have found out with with all the Horizon BOTW comparisons games need not have the exact same design philosophy to be compared unfortunately.

BOTW rewards, combat, encounter design, bosses etc.. are def going to be compared to Elden Ring as it seems to be setting a new bar in that regard. I agree with you in principle but yeah its going to be brought up for sure.

I personally hope BOTW really improves its encounter design and combat mechanics because I thought it sucked while the rest of the game was fantastic!

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
If it's not for everyone, then why am I only seeing 10s haha

Would be genuinely nice to see more reviews that reflected that diversity in taste.

Why? No game is for everyone.

A racing game can receive pure 10's, but some people just don't like the genre so no score would make them like the game unless it was something else entirely. Elden Ring is great at what it is trying to do, thus the 10s. I don't think you're going to find a reviewer that hates Souls games and the RPG genre in particular reviewing Elden Ring just to hate on it.

Pocky4Th3Win

Oct 31, 2017
Minnesota
Man as someone who didn't like BOTW at all and seeing all these comparisons to it, I am concerned. I have played, completed and loved every Souls game (I even imported Demon's Souls back in the PS3 a year before domestic release). I feel like the lack of direction will really turn me off. I am not a fan of sandbox games and need some direction to keep me motivated to play a game.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
This is going to be my sole day one AAA purchase on Series X this year. Game Pass will carry the 2nd half for me lol.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
don't think so at all. Horizon still sold well and was talked about despite BOTW.

And I would say even more so Elden Ring and Horizon cater to two different audiences with overlap

Yeah I hope so. I just remember all those Horizon vs. BOTW videos that were showing how much more interactive BOTW was. Not really fair to Horizon because it was doing something different and no open world game has the physics system of BOTW.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
Puzzles don't normally require reflexes and timing. You could argue any boss that has patterns and weaknesses is a puzzle. I certainly wouldn't recommend a Souls game to someone who enjoys puzzles.

In regards to your last point I agree unless the person in question has an overlapping love for puzzles and action combat.

I would say that I've seen puzzles in games that do require reflex & timing though certainly not at the level of a Souls boss.

Still, I'll continue to insist that From Software designs their bosses as puzzles to be solved. Spamming attack won't carry you through most times.

I will concede that I am not really a puzzle game fan so my opinion may not carry weight.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Blessing was pretty lukewarm on the game during the Kinda Funny review, he had a lot more negative to say tham positives.
Tam and Andy are totally in love with it though. Some of the stuff Tam was saying just has me hyped beyond belief.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Like holy shit, these reviews are a lot higher than I expected.

Now I am even more glad that the only things I have seen of this game is the reveal trailer and the Digital Foundry video.

Oct 26, 2017
"Elden Ring is a fantastic game that can still deliver the unmatched thrill of defeating a tough boss after an hours-long battle"

I'm glad yall are getting the game you want but this type of fun is not for me. Enjoy and congrats!
Yeah, that's not exactly something that appeals to me either but the open world design apparently being amazing does intrigue me. Not sure if that'd make up for that or not on my end but I'll at least try to watch some more reviews and impressions to get a better idea

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
They really aren't that difficult, you just have to persevere. The "difficulty" is adjusting your mindset to the playstyle.
Exactly. I think for some people they can't overcome the feeling that dying means they failed when dying is the whole point of the game. It's baked into the mechanics and the lore. You only truly lose if you lose hope and give up. That's what going hollow is. Else you come back over and over again, hopefully getting better each time as you practice and increase your character's skills.

Joo

May 25, 2018
Scores this high will certainly boost the sales massively and most importantly, entice the masses to buy this way more than usual, which is great of course.

These games aren't for everyone and at least the reviews are saying it's more accessible, but would be interesting to get data for how the more typical GTA, FIFA, CoD, f2p gamers not familiar with From games end up feeling about it on average.

Status
Not open for further replies.