• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Final predictions?

• GOAT

Votes: 260 23.3%
  • 95-99

Votes: 269 24.1%
  • 90-94

Votes: 388 34.8%
  • 85-90

Votes: 160 14.3%
  • Below 85

Votes: 38 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It's every thread.

What I don't get is a general fan of gaming. Why wouldn't we want these games to improve from one another instead of choosing sides?

Seems incredibly childish to me. I haven't played Elden Ring yet. And it's probably too late for BotW2 to learn anything from it. But if it could why wouldn't I, as a fan of games, want it to?

People are weird.
Indeed. The comparisons being made are legit, too. If people actually, you know... read the reviews.

If you have a VRR display, that difference will still favour the X. Sucks the PS5 doesn't support it yet…
This is super true. VRR is a real game changer. Dipping to 40-45 or so will usually feel smoother than dipping to 50 without it.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
CE still not shipped, but I got my preorder dlc code ... yay? Bandai support told me I shouldnt worry though, but I assume they tell that everyone :(

Ganepark32

Nov 21, 2021
Those review scores are even higher than I anticipated. Looks like they've knocked this one out of the park and then some.

I haven't decided yet whether to pick this up or not. I'm terrible at these games but this looks so good and I'm feeling an intense sense of FOMO with this one. Only being 21 hours into Horizon Forbidden West doesn't help (only just going into the 3rd region so to speak) but the temptation is there to just juggle the two.

Arithmetician

Oct 9, 2019
Really annoyed that this is a 97 metacritic game. It's just beyond my skill level to play any From Software games. Couldn't get past Lordran in Dark Souls 1.

Looks like this is an incredible game. But not accessible to me.

The thing with Dark Souls 1 is, if you can get past Lordran you should be able to get past the whole game. I am 100% confident of it.

Oct 29, 2017
USA
I was expecting around low 90s. I'm still weary because I know people adore these games in a way that I've yet to grasp. Something about From's games hasn't clicked with me yet. Hopefully the PC version turned out well because that's where I will play it if I decide to give this a go.

The Living Tribunal

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Well holy shit. Was expecting some great scores but I was not expecting this to be the highest scoring game of all time on Opencritic.

Joo

May 25, 2018
Holy hell. Didn't really have any doubts as From has basically always delivered but still, what a surprise and a big achievement. It's so rare for a game to have such universal acclaim nowadays. Definitely will be buying this sooner than I thought.

SmittyWerbenManJensen

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Floater’s Cemetery
Even more excited after seeing the BOTW comparisons. BOTW is one of my GOATs, so I'm excited to hopefully play something that is even better. I'm always hoping that the next game I play will be the best one that I've played.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone commented on performance between the Series X and the PS5? I have both consoles but I have about 50 dollars of MS credit to spend.
Yes. PS5 has a good performance increase compared to XSX, but XSX has access to VRR displays.

The latter will be better, but if you don't have a VRR display then PS5 looks like the way to go for now.

You can find the comparisons in the thread somewhere.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing reviews so far. Can't wait. I pre ordered this on XSS. However I am a bit worried about the open world not really holding your hand much. If I am given complete freedom I generally fuck it up and end up getting lost. Worried I will find myself in some situations I won't be able to get out of. Or that I will over commit because it's me. Or just not progressing in the way that I should.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017

Is this copium or hopium?

Oh, I said slightly less and i meant it literally. It's not like people will hate it or anything.
Then again maybe not, this is just guts feeling based on nothing at all.

Only thing I know is a couple reviewers I'm friends with decided not to have an article out today because the game is massive and they thought they needed more time with it to give their honest impressions.

Jan 18, 2021
I've hated every FROM game that I've ever played but that 97 is making me wanna buy this and swiftly give up because i suck at them

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Has anyone commented on performance between the Series X and the PS5? I have both consoles but I have about 50 dollars of MS credit to spend.

Someone posted it earlier. Without day 1 patch this is how it stands. With the patch I am not sure

Performance:
XSX: 45-50fps
PS5: 55-60fps

Quality:
XSX: 35-45fps
PS5: 40-45fps

alphacat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I remember postponing my Horizon playthrough for BOTW 5 years ago, and I planned to do the same for the sequel partly because of Elden Ring. Crazy.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I am so going to fall for the hype an purchase this...and then not complete like every other FromSoftware game that I play due to being a geezer with limited time and a terrible temper lol

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
It's like people (not saying you) forget open world games existed before BotW. You just described almost every open world game.
For sure. I know BotW didn't hit everyone the same, but it was the first open world since Witcher 3 where I was more pleasantly surprised by the unique and different things I found while just searching around. I hadn't had that same sense of wonder in a while. Sounds like this has it as well. Ubisoft games don't hit that sense of wonder for me, much as I can enjoy them...from time to time.

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
Amazing reviews so far. Can't wait. I pre ordered this on XSS. However I am a bit worried about the open world not really holding your hand much. If I am given complete freedom I generally fuck it up and end up getting lost. Worried I will find myself in some situations I won't be able to get out of. Or that I will over commit because it's me. Or just not progressing in the way that I should.
This should be impossible. You can teleport from any bonfire to any other from the start.

Also there is a golden mist guiding the "critical path"

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Seems like a few of them switched from the PC to the PS5 version. It's best to just assume the worst about the PC version at this point.

FromSoft games on PC have always had these issues so it's not new to Elden Ring...the Day 1 patch and future patches should help...but the game still sounds very playable as is on PC

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Xbox brothers/sisters, buy this game please!!! Don't want to see a huge platform split gap between PS and Xbox. Show your love for Soul games on Xbox.
(This post has no console war intention. Only hope this game can have some decent success on my preferred platform. It is very certain ER will have a massive success on PS.)
I'm buying physical on for Series X

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
Souls bosses are literally built like puzzles to be solved. You learn how they work and then you apply that knowledge to beat them.

Puzzles don't normally require reflexes and timing. You could argue any boss that has patterns and weaknesses is a puzzle. I certainly wouldn't recommend a Souls game to someone who enjoys puzzles.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
This needs to be broadcast.

Performance:
XSX: 45-50fps
PS5: 55-60fps

Quality:
XSX: 35-45fps
PS5: 40-45fps

Edit: Likely not with day 1 patch. Also re: not broadcasting this. My opinion is that we're 1.5 days from release, people need to make an educated decision for themselves. If you don't mind or believe the day 1 patch should boost perf by 10fps, then no need for alarm. If you can wait, I encourage you to wait for videos that catalog the day 1 patch perf.
Nice edit.
Yes. PS5 has a good performance increase compared to XSX, but XSX has access to VRR displays.

The latter will be better, but if you don't have a VRR display then PS5 looks like the way to go for now.

You can find the comparisons in the thread somewhere.
I think the comparisons are without the day one patch. I wouldn't spread this unless you are for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.