• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Final predictions?

• GOAT

Votes: 260 23.3%
  • 95-99

Votes: 269 24.1%
  • 90-94

Votes: 388 34.8%
  • 85-90

Votes: 160 14.3%
  • Below 85

Votes: 38 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr X

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia / US
I'm as big a souls fan as any, but I was almost convinced it was getting hyped up too much and there wasn't anyway it was going to live up to expectations. And in the end, it appears it might have been under sold.

DaVeed

Banned
Jun 21, 2020
Breath of the wild levels of exploration with actual variety in enemies, loot, bosses, regions. More secrets, more inspired design areas. All of that with an improved version of the very good combat system from Dark Souls with unlimited levels of customization and options.
It literally solves every complaint that I had with BOTW

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
I want to play it badly but I suck at from software. Tried to played Bloodbourne but got my ass handed. I want an easier mode but I know the fanbase doesn't want that and says "get gud".

I know my words won't do much if anything to change your perspective on From games but I'll say them anyway.

From games are hard. No doubt about that. However, the "Git Gud" mentality tied to older titles has done a disservice to anyone who wants to play the games but feels they lack the necessary skill.

From games teach players the skills needed to beat them as long as the player is willing to learn the lessons.

I started with Bloodborne and it was a terrifying experience. One of the most stressful games I've ever played. Next I played DS3 which was stressful & hard but less so than Bloodborne simply because I'd learned something from Bloodborne, though at the time I didn't know what. Next I played Sekiro, arguably the hardest of these games, and something clicked for me. I had learned to read the language that From Software games use. In addition to that I also found that I was learning to read the language specific to Sekiro as I was playing it.

This year I finally went back and played through DS1 with all the knowledge I'd accrued over my playtime with the other games. It felt like seeing the Matrix. Not only that but I recognized DS1 for the revolutionary title it was at its core. I knew I had to proceed slowly and corner peek. I knew I should not press my advantage unless I had utmost confidence in my ability to survive. I knew I should pay close attention to item descriptions and dialogue. I knew that I would spend multiple attempts with each boss not trying to beat them but to learn them.

Now, with Elden Ring, I cannot wait to take my knowledge and apply it to a game that promises freedom far beyond any previous From game.

The games are masterclasses in teaching the player how to play them as long as the player is willing to learn.

Personally I feel I am mediocre at reading tells. And yet I've learned to do so from these games.
I feel I am absolutely incapable of playing rhythm games. And yet I learned the rhythm of Sekiro.
I feel I easily get swept up in the stress that comes from a tough boss fight. And yet I've learned to breathe, analyze, press my advantage when possible, and retreat when necessary.

And so, dear fellow gamer, I believe to my core that if I can learn to play these games and receive immense satisfaction from triumphing over them then so can you. That, after all, is the lesson From Software games attempt to teach. That anyone can triumph over seemingly impossible odds if they are willing to learn and persevere.

CabooseMSG

Jun 27, 2020
If after the day one patch, these numbers hold, that's on From. There's zero reason the X shouldn't at least perform as well.
Yea considering all the performance results we're seeing with other games recently. Xbox usually has slightly better resolution, PS5 usually has slightly better load times. A gap this wide points to something Dev related

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Kudos to the team, what an achievement. Lets hope the Day 1 patch improves the performance for all plattforms.

He is talking about OG BotW - ofc BotW2 will have to offer more than the first game.

Oh, I just assumed he meant the sequel because it goes without saying it's probably gonna be outdated once the sequel comes out (imo)

Also for me personally, it's not the kind of game I go back to replay and start a whole new playthrough or whatever

I hope that from now on people take the opportunity to compare every open world game to Elden Ring, regardless of how different they are. They must all be compared to Elden Ring, the true GOAT

If it's truly that GOAT'd, I will do so happily lol

When you get a game that genuinely merits having a huge open world, that actually motivates you to try and explore as much of it as possible it's gotta be praised to hell and back. BoTW made me feel that way, seems like Elden Ring is doing that for the reviewers.

Yonafunu

Oct 26, 2017
Are we really surprised if this turns out to be a better open world that BotW? That game was a first draft for a new kind of open world game, I'm just glad we're finally seeing a game building on it (whether it was explicitly inspired by BotW or not). I'm extremely curious to see where Nintendo goes with their own next step in BotW2.

That said, Elden Ring and BotW are going for completely different things. Elden Ring is like playing a huge dark fantasy book series, Zelda is a Ghibli movie. Completely different flavours and priorities.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Any veracity to people saying playing PS4 version on PS5 gave best visual+performance balance overall? I can't watch the video atm

They didn't check. They only tested one small area for performance and this was unpatched. They sound most impressed by series s which runs better than series x which they don't think is running right. People should wait for digital foundry. If from asked them to wait there was a reason for it.

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
Critically this is one of the greatest of all time. Bruh I can't wait to play this. I already requested 5 days off vacation to play this as soon as the delay was announced. From software is all HITS and no misses since 2009. I better not ever hear anyone call them overrated again.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
Breath of the wild levels of exploration with actual variety in enemies, loot, bosses, regions. More secrets, more inspired design areas. All of that with an improved version of the very good combat system from Dark Souls with unlimited levels of customization and options.

BotW has more mechanical variety though. It has an entire physics systems and has hundreds of puzzles built around them. In Elden Ring it basically just boils down to combat and exploration

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Nice, seems like it turned out to be a very good and fun game.
Can't wait for the death threats to writers (and their families) when the first review with a score below a 9 appears 💀

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
They didn't check. They only tested one small area for performance and this was unpatched. They sound most impressed by series s which runs better than series x which they don't think is running right. People should wait for digital foundry. If from asked them to wait there was a reason for it.

Yeah I'm not too worried about it, plenty of time before launch to get clarification

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
A lot of people wanted BOTW to be more RPG than it is and Elden Ring seems to be just that. It is good that there is variety and they do not have to be all the same.
Oh for shure. Even back then people wanted it to be "Dark souls in an open world with Gibli artstyle", but the game was more exploration and physics based then Battle focused RPG.

And both are fine. as i said, i want to play Elden Ring, if i woul dhave a platform it would probably be a "on launch" game for me. But i just dont like the comparisons to their expectations as if it was "wrong" in being what it is.

We have the other group of people that thought zelda was to little focused on puzzles (physics) and to much on combat.
Its just, a lot of people lack a sense for their bias, and that their expectations are not a rufe for whats right/wrong.
(Going to the extreme, its as if someone plays a strategy game and is dissapointed that its not an action rpg mmo)

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Final prediction is "super high but in a few months the consensus among fans will be slightly less enthusiastic".

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I was feeling a little disappointed because I decided to pass on Horizon and wait for a patch to silence Aloy during open-world exploration (kept hearing she ruined puzzles).

At this point, though....Horizon who?

So excited to dive in.
She talks to herself a good amount but I've played 25 hours and she's never spoiled a puzzle for me. Felt like that complaint is overblown.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
FMSuwbgWQAAX0uW
Lol, I was wondering if this was going to happen. They avoided BotW2, just to get Elden Ringed.

Status
Not open for further replies.