• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I was considering double dipping for the PC version to check out the VR mod by Luke Ross but after reading the current page seeing stutter still being such a prevalent issue that's a big nope. Will wait for a sale :/

Maedhros

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone confirm if the flames that Agheel breaths causes the frame to drop to ~40? Is that normal even on mid-high range computers?

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
it's been almost 3 months since release...hopefully ray-tracing is coming with the next patch or 2

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Is it fair to say that From has a bad engine?
After seeing Bluepoint Games' Demon's Souls Remake, I'd say yes. They managed to pull nothing short of stellar results with what they did and managed to keep the gameplay pretty much 1:1 to the original while delivering solid 4K 30 fps or 1440p 60 fps on PS5.

From could really use help in the engine department. While technically the engine is capable of supporting things like ultrawide resolutions, high framerates etc From adamantly refuses to allow those and they consistently have issues with frame pacing and performance.

In its current state Elden Ring's graphics options do almost nothing. Only thing I can do to make it run better on my system is to drop resolution.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
After seeing Bluepoint Games' Demon's Souls Remake, I'd say yes. They managed to pull nothing short of stellar results with what they did and managed to keep the gameplay pretty much 1:1 to the original while delivering solid 4K 30 fps or 1440p 60 fps on PS5.

From could really use help in the engine department. While technically the engine is capable of supporting things like ultrawide resolutions, high framerates etc From adamantly refuses to allow those and they consistently have issues with frame pacing and performance.

In its current state Elden Ring's graphics options do almost nothing. Only thing I can do to make it run better on my system is to drop resolution.

Let's not compare a linear game to what from did with ER. Bluepoint is amazing but we can't compare Demon's to Elden Ring.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Let's not compare a linear game to what from did with ER. Bluepoint is amazing but we can't compare Demon's to Elden Ring.
We absolutely can. Most areas in ER are in similarly linear areas. That's how most of the "on foot only" areas operate. Demon's Souls Remake does have areas with longer viewing distances too and basically never drops a frame even then.

Even if we compare to slightly older From games like Sekiro or DS3, Demon's Souls Remake manages to run more stable and have way better looking lighting.

If you want to compare something more modern and open world, it was pretty jarring to go from Horizon Forbidden West on PS5 to Elden Ring on PC. The visual difference is very noticeable.

I feel From hasn't been putting much effort into improving their engine over these years as the exact same issues crop up.

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019

Demons Souls is a much more constrained experience, and made for one platform by an incredibly talented team. I've never understood why people bring up Bluepoint when discussing FROM; their only relation is that BP remade their game. FROM could stand to do better from a performance and fidelity perspective, but rendering is only a small slice of a game engine and it's silly to say they have a bad engine because of performance issues.

edwardvh

Dec 11, 2018
The lighting from Demons Souls remake was amazing and what really gave the game the visuals.

I hoped for Elden Ring to have the same lighting engine but sadly we got almost the same as in Dark Souls 3.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Demons Souls is a much more constrained experience, and made for one platform by an incredibly talented team. I've never understood why people bring up Bluepoint when discussing FROM; their only relation is that BP remade their game. FROM could stand to do better from a performance and fidelity perspective, but rendering is only a small slice of a game engine and it's silly to say they have a bad engine because of performance issues.
Bluepoint bested From's efforts remaking their game. It shows that there is no clear reason beyond talent and technical debt for From's engine to have such distinct performance issues year after year. From's engine has issues on pretty much every platform and even PC cannot bruteforce its way through them.

If From's current team is not good enough at graphics and performance optimization, with all the money from Elden Ring sales I certainly hope they can snatch some Bluepoint level talent.

If you want to look at other aspects, the networking stuff is a mess with lots of lag and connection issues on otherwise stable networks.

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
Bluepoint bested From's efforts remaking their game. It shows that there is no clear reason beyond talent and technical debt for From's engine to have such distinct performance issues year after year. From's engine has issues on pretty much every platform and even PC cannot bruteforce its way through them.

If From's current team is not good enough at graphics and performance optimization, with all the money from Elden Ring sales I certainly hope they can snatch some Bluepoint level talent.

If you want to look at other aspects, the networking stuff is a mess with lots of lag and connection issues on otherwise stable networks.
For BP do have bested FROM's effort to remake their game would require FROM to have attempted it in the first place, which they didn't so that's a weird claim. If you want to say that BP probably did better than what FROM would've done, sure, why not. But this hyper-fixation on the fact that there are other studios with better technical chops than FROM is just weird at this point, because most developers are not top tier when it comes to performance on PC.

For all the performance issues that FROM's games have had over the years, I don't think it's fair to say they aren't good enough; on PC I had iffy ER performance early on, and all that disappeared after leaving Limgrave. Sekiro was basically flawless, and I don't recall having any issues with DS3 either(though it's been a while so maybe I'm forgetting).

Again, I don't have an issue saying they should do better, and invest more money and time into polishing their technical chops, but this insistence that we compare these two specific developers, solely on the basis that one remade the other's work a decade later, is odd.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
For BP do have bested FROM's effort to remake their game would require FROM to have attempted it in the first place, which they didn't so that's a weird claim. If you want to say that BP probably did better than what FROM would've done, sure, why not. But this hyper-fixation on the fact that there are other studios with better technical chops than FROM is just weird at this point, because most developers are not top tier when it comes to performance on PC.

For all the performance issues that FROM's games have had over the years, I don't think it's fair to say they aren't good enough; on PC I had iffy ER performance early on, and all that disappeared after leaving Limgrave. Sekiro was basically flawless, and I don't recall having any issues with DS3 either(though it's been a while so maybe I'm forgetting).

Again, I don't have an issue saying they should do better, and invest more money and time into polishing their technical chops, but this insistence that we compare these two specific developers, solely on the basis that one remade the other's work a decade later, is odd.
I don't think BP should be compared to a hypothetical From remake but the games that From put out in the same time period (Sekiro). Sekiro actually is one of the better performing From games but visually I don't think it stands up to BP's work, especially for lighting.

I would not mind if From had learned from their mistakes for new games but they seem to repeat the same ones whether it's in performance, UI design or gameplay. They may have gotten too comfortable copy pasting their existing code around.

c2c

Mar 4, 2021
Exactly. If From remade Demon's Souls, I'm sure it would look amazing, but that's not the core competency of their studio. Developing Elden Ring and remaking DS are completely different product scopes.

Another way to think about it - if From and BP switched projects, both products would suffer. Further comparisons are rooted in ignorance (that's not the same as saying From shouldn't focus more on technical performance).

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Bluepoint has their own rendering engine completely separated from the original, From was never going to be able to use it.

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
I don't think BP should be compared to a hypothetical From remake but the games that From put out in the same time period (Sekiro). Sekiro actually is one of the better performing From games but visually I don't think it stands up to BP's work, especially for lighting.

But that's what confuses/perplexes me. Ultimately this is just boiling down to "Bluepoint makes games that look better than FROM's games", and like, ok? Some developers make games that look worse than Demon's Souls, and some developers make games that look better than Sekiro, but every thread about the graphical fidelity of FROM games always comes down BP and to this tangential relation between them. Like, no one compares Guerilla Games to FROM even though that's the more apt comparison, since they both released open world games this year. And it does bear stating that sometimes different developers are more/less competent at certain things, and that's ok. BP has shown their technical chops, but they have yet to design and release their own product through and through. FROM is fine to shaky technically speaking, but they make fantastic games that people obsess over for decades, even before Souls.

Vigamox

Nov 13, 2017
I don't understand the hyperfixation on having the most realistic graphics and lighting in games. Time and time again, it has been proven that art style > graphics. Whereas Sekiro and the rest of From's games don't hold a candle to Bluepoint's remake graphically, in my eyes Bluepoint's art and monster design was a step down from even the original Demon's Souls. I'd much rather have From's mediocre graphics and superb design sense rather than the other way around.

Oct 27, 2017
people still giving from software respect even after 3 months of no noticeable tech improvements. This needs to stop or they will continue with this trend!

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
people still giving from software respect even after 3 months of no noticeable tech improvements. This needs to stop or they will continue with this trend!
It's too late, the rave reception and huge sales have seen to that. IMO From are almost certain to try to put out their next game as soon as possible without making any big changes to how they approach it on a technical level.

naff

Unshakeable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017

Was is a solid 4k 30? One of the worst feeling 30fps modes I've ever played. Always thought the frame pacing was terrible or something. Usually always choose the performance mode, but just playing around with the fidelity mode in Demon's Souls I noticed it felt a lot worse than normal.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Don't be shocked if From Soft quietly moves on and hopes people forget they ever mentioned that.

I don't see that happening...they probably already did a lot of work on it and won't just throw that all away...plus I doubt it's going to have a ton of ray-tracing features like Metro Exodus or Dying Light 2

Nov 2, 2017
It's much better now than at launch. The only place I still have hard stutters is in cutscenes, although I wouldn't say the frametime is completely flat all the time. It runs better than a lot of UE4 games do. The 60fps cap is silly though but I use SpecialK so not really a problem for me.

Bungie

Oct 31, 2017

Somewhat annoyed that people were happy to defend them putting out worthless balance patches, just because the resource for this was entirely separate resource to that required for performance updates. Three months later, performance is still not there and no statements on their plans to improve it.

Next time maybe let's not separate the two entirely, because clearly, separate resource or not, performance issues are not any level of priority for them.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
But that's what confuses/perplexes me. Ultimately this is just boiling down to "Bluepoint makes games that look better than FROM's games", and like, ok? Some developers make games that look worse than Demon's Souls, and some developers make games that look better than Sekiro, but every thread about the graphical fidelity of FROM games always comes down BP and to this tangential relation between them. Like, no one compares Guerilla Games to FROM even though that's the more apt comparison, since they both released open world games this year. And it does bear stating that sometimes different developers are more/less competent at certain things, and that's ok. BP has shown their technical chops, but they have yet to design and release their own product through and through. FROM is fine to shaky technically speaking, but they make fantastic games that people obsess over for decades, even before Souls.
BP's remake is just the easiest comparison as the design of the game is largely the same as most From Software titles. We could also throw for example a small team developed game like Mortal Shell in the mix. Visually it's very good looking. I don't think other aspects should be discussed here as gameplay is a separate thing (and here From is very heavily relying on their past work). Art style? Maybe but it's subjective and not really an issue in From games.

I did mention how I felt going from Horizon Forbidden West to Elden Ring was jarring because of how big the drop in visual quality was, despite using the more powerful platform (PC).

By comparison From's engine just hasn't kept up. The lighting looks rather flat and checking some Reshade raytracing videos of Elden Ring, just improving that would go a long way in making it more "current gen" visually.

If From can ever put out that raytracing update and it's something more than just reflections, then I think the game could look very good. I just hope it comes with DLSS/FSR support to go with it considering how badly it still runs especially in Weeping Peninsula and Stormveil hills area.

Jul 7, 2021
They have this weird old school attitude towards patching in general too.

Like they announce a patch and then literally apologize for it. Sorry, we got this patch with some fixes. So sorry. Please understand.

Guys patch the game! Stop apologizing.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Since we are almost certainly getting DLC which means that work is continuing on FROMs side on the game and the fact that they mentioned in their last patch notes that they are still working on the game, I'm still somewhat hopeful that we'll see improvements, no matter how small they'll turn out to be.

Doesn't make the technical side of the game any less disappointing of course.

I'm completely fine with the visuals themselves and them reusing so many assets and animations though. I'd rather have it like this, then the Studio being blown up to 1000s of people meaning more overhead from the Publisher and longer development times.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
BP's remake is just the easiest comparison as the design of the game is largely the same as most From Software titles. We could also throw for example a small team developed game like Mortal Shell in the mix. Visually it's very good looking. I don't think other aspects should be discussed here as gameplay is a separate thing (and here From is very heavily relying on their past work). Art style? Maybe but it's subjective and not really an issue in From games.

I did mention how I felt going from Horizon Forbidden West to Elden Ring was jarring because of how big the drop in visual quality was, despite using the more powerful platform (PC).

By comparison From's engine just hasn't kept up. The lighting looks rather flat and checking some Reshade raytracing videos of Elden Ring, just improving that would go a long way in making it more "current gen" visually.

If From can ever put out that raytracing update and it's something more than just reflections, then I think the game could look very good. I just hope it comes with DLSS/FSR support to go with it considering how badly it still runs especially in Weeping Peninsula and Stormveil hills area.

On PC until they fucked the graphics with the last two patches, the game maxed out looked great.

It wasn't far away from Demon's Soul. Lots of beautiful lightning, technique supporting the art direction to create really beautiful places.

Since we are almost certainly getting DLC which means that work is continuing on FROMs side on the game and the fact that they mentioned in their last patch notes that they are still working on the game, I'm still somewhat hopeful that we'll see improvements, no matter how small they'll turn out to be.

I think many of us consider the changes to be worse than before. Because they didn't fix latent issues while making it uglier and adding visual glitches they never bothered to fix so yeah fuck that.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I think many of us consider the changes to be worse than before. Because they didn't fix latent issues while making it uglier and adding visual glitches they never bothered to fix so yeah fuck that.

Oh, yep - I'm not defending them at all for this. I'm just saying that the game is nowhere near EOL in terms of support so I'm still hopeful there's also gonna be patches for the tech side of things.

Oct 28, 2017
Is there anyway to fix the awful halo outlines around characters from the AO? I tried it on medium vs maximum but it's still super noticeable, especially when near water.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Man, PC gamers really got the short end of the stick with this release. We lost multiplayer in all of the other Fromsoft games. We gained a single great game that still has performance issues 3 months after release.

Burgess_101

Oct 26, 2017
I'm just patiently waiting for this seamless co-op mod so I can play the game without constant stupid disconnects, game is straight-up broken.

Bulletzen

Oct 30, 2017
In truth I do not see From tackling performance issues with this game until DLC comes out and even then it will be 50-50. They just suck at PC ports. Great game and art design but technical performance? Forget about it! We are 90 pages in for goodness sake!

ChitonIV

Nov 14, 2021
It's much better now than at launch. The only place I still have hard stutters is in cutscenes, although I wouldn't say the frametime is completely flat all the time. It runs better than a lot of UE4 games do. The 60fps cap is silly though but I use SpecialK so not really a problem for me.
When's the last time you ran the game vanilla, without SpecialK or other mods? Because SpecialK smooths the game out A LOT. I am not talking about general benefits of higher than 60fps. SpecialK removes the in game cap and then you can re-cap it with SpecialK. Their framerate cap + attempts to make the thread handling a bit better, yields much flatter frametimes.

Oct 25, 2017
Just downloaded ER on a fresh Pop_OS installation. It's doing a long 'processing vulkan shaders' step in Steam before launching , which is exciting. I didn't have terrible performance on Windows but I'm curious if there's going to be a significant improvement on Linux.

edit: Nah, still got stutters in the first 5 minutes of playing. It may be a touch smoother overall though.

Last edited:

ZeroNoir_

Oct 25, 2017
Just downloaded ER on a fresh Pop_OS installation. It's doing a long 'processing vulkan shaders' step in Steam before launching , which is exciting. I didn't have terrible performance on Windows but I'm curious if there's going to be a significant improvement on Linux.

edit: Nah, still got stutters in the first 5 minutes of playing. It may be a touch smoother overall though.

what are your specs?

game is too broken LMAO but i find the experience better in Linux

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
people are going overboard with their criticism of From Software...are there technical issues that need to be resolved with Elden Ring- yes...but it doesn't take away from the fact that almost all From Soft games on PC are relatively bug free and playable from Day 1...Elden Ring is a massive open world game and all things considered it launched in really great shape compared to something like an Elder Scrolls or Fallout or even Horizon Forbidden West

cowbanana

Feb 2, 2018
a Socialist Utopia
I'm amazed at how well this game runs on the Steam Deck. It's incredible to play a game like this at high settings on a handheld at native 1280x720. Feels like magic and it's completely stutter free, even in the most widely open, late game areas.

Not that I have any issues on my 5900X / 3070 Ti. The game ran like shit at launch, now it's pretty much perfect. Still on 511.65 display driver.