• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Sep 21, 2019

You'll want to go into the posts. I updated the mod for patch 1.04 and linked to it in the posts section since the mod author hasn't been updating.

I HIGHLY recommend using the extended LOD WITHOUT the extended grass. That really tanks performance and does not make a huge difference visually.

www.nexusmods.com

LOD Restored

Restore Elden Ring's LOD/Drawing/Shadow distance, closer to what was shown, pre-release..

yagal

Oct 25, 2017
You'll want to go into the posts. I updated the mod for patch 1.04 and linked to it in the posts section since the mod author hasn't been updating.

I HIGHLY recommend using the extended LOD WITHOUT the extended grass. That really tanks performance and does not make a huge difference visually.

www.nexusmods.com

LOD Restored

Restore Elden Ring's LOD/Drawing/Shadow distance, closer to what was shown, pre-release..
ty, that worked. I tried it at the Shade Castle and it's so much better

Sep 21, 2019
ty, that worked. I tried it at the Shade Castle and it's so much better

Awesome! There are very, very few areas where you will really dip fps (mainly area with all the large magic/poison flowers in Liurna of the Lakes), but I've been using it with no issues at all.

It's a HUGE improvement.

I recommend using it with Special K but unlocking framerate with the flawless widescreen mod.

Also, play in 3200x1800 with Special K or 1440p/1080p depending on your GPU.

In Special K under display make sure V Sync is Forced Off. Also, in the Special K .ini file for Elden Ring change GameOutput=true to false.

You'll need to start the game with flawless widescreen disabled. Once the game starts, you can alt-tab and then enable flawless widescreen to unlock fps. This is better than unlocking the fps with Special K for some reason. It performs flawlessly.

Make sure Special K unlocked framerate is set to normal instead of unlocked first.

I've had a 10+ hour almost completely stutter free experience. It's the smoothest I've seen the game in 180 hours.

Not even open world stutters. And that's with the extended LOD.

Last edited:

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
I think the huge LOD downgrade as well as texture pop-in - basically it's now PS4 code from my comparisons yesterday - that From introduced in patch 1.04 on PC was their way of lowering the game's demands in preparation for the raytracing.

The game was standing on very shaky legs in patch 1.03, but now that it is downgraded visually it is running much smoother.

Now they can introduce whatever borked RT they want to make the game shaky again.

They now have the overhead.

If they had put RT on 1.03 patch code, the whole thing would have collapsed, which is probably what happened during their testing and likely why they downgraded the game for 1.04.

1.05 or 1.06 will introduce RT I believe. And Elden Ring will be wobblier than ever.

Such a shame that the PC version is now a barebones console port. Elden Ring is easily a top 5 all-time game for me.

Maybe one day we will get there visually without mods AND be able to play online.

Do you have comparison shots of 1.03 and 1.04?

Sep 21, 2019
Do you have comparison shots of 1.03 and 1.04?

No, I wish I did. From implemented something with texture streaming in 1.04 that's causing the texture pop-in. I see things in 1.04 I never saw in 1.03: walls popping in full textures, rocks doing the same, the barnacle circle rock things in Caleid change like 3 texture LOD phases that I never saw before.

All I know is that the texture streaming and LOD are now identical to the PS4 version of the game. I compared multiple areas, and it's identical.

The extended LOD mod brute forces against the changes and eliminates all pop-in.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2019
Kopite, it is pretty demanding in certain situations. I did decide to bump my grass settings to medium.

I'm playing with a 3090 ti and a 9900k overclocked CPU. Reduced from 4k to 1800p and am hitting 70-80 fps 95% of the time in the open world.

I found that putting textures to high instead of maximum helps stutter with no visual loss.

Grass to medium helps smooth out some of the demands of the mod in the heavily forested areas. There are some areas where the fps will drop a lot just based on the density of the area or how much is in frame at once.

In the end, I found that making some visual tweaks to accommodate the mod was worth running the game without it. The A/B comparison of the fire wall and all textures/LOD around the Fort Faroth site of grace in Caelid really shows how much more the mod offers.

It's worth lowering the grass to medium for me for all those benefits.

Terrible texture streaming and pop-in of textures is the most immersion breaking thing in a game for me, and the LOD mod eliminates all of it. I'll take that for a few areas where the framerate drops below 60, personally, since it doesn't happen often enough for it to be an issue.

The original version of the extended LOD mod was unplayable. It just chugged no matter what. Credit to the guy on the Nexus mod post who found the values to push out the LOD but not completely obliterate performance.

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
Kopite, it is pretty demanding in certain situations. I did decide to bump my grass settings to medium.

I'm playing with a 3090 ti and a 9900k overclocked CPU. Reduced from 4k to 1800p and am hitting 70-80 fps 95% of the time in the open world.

I found that putting textures to high instead of maximum helps stutter with no visual loss.

Grass to medium helps smooth out some of the demands of the mod in the heavily forested areas. There are some areas where the fps will drop a lot just based on the density of the area or how much is in frame at once.

In the end, I found that making some visual tweaks to accommodate the mod was worth running the game without it. The A/B comparison of the fire wall and all textures/LOD around the Fort Faroth site of grace in Caelid really shows how much more the mod offers.

It's worth lowering the grass to medium for me for all those benefits.

Terrible texture streaming and pop-in of textures is the most immersion breaking thing in a game for me, and the LOD mod eliminates all of it. I'll take that for a few areas where the framerate drops below 60, personally, since it doesn't happen often enough for it to be an issue.

The original version of the extended LOD mod was unplayable. It just chugged no matter what. Credit to the guy on the Nexus mod post who found the values to push out the LOD but not completely obliterate performance.
Thanks for all the effort you've put in. I'll try with the mod back on but lowering the settings a bit :)

yagal

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome! There are very, very few areas where you will really dip fps (mainly area with all the large magic/poison flowers in Liurna of the Lakes), but I've been using it with no issues at all.

It's a HUGE improvement.

I recommend using it with Special K but unlocking framerate with the flawless widescreen mod.

Also, play in 3200x1800 with Special K or 1440p/1080p depending on your GPU.

In Special K under display make sure V Sync is Forced Off. Also, in the Special K .ini file for Elden Ring change GameInput=true to false.

You'll need to start the game with flawless widescreen disabled. Once the game starts, you can alt-tab and then enable flawless widescreen to unlock fps. This is better than unlocking the fps with Special K for some reason. It performs flawlessly.

Make sure Special K unlocked framerate is set to normal instead of unlocked first.

I've had a 10+ hour almost completely stutter free experience. It's the smoothest I've seen the game in 180 hours.

Not even open world stutters. And that's with the extended LOD.

I have an R5 3600, 16 GB 32000, RTX 3080
I didn't feel any frame rate drop.
I will continue to play at native 4K@60, I want my 3080 to stay around 60% utilisation to keep it quiet

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
No, I wish I did. From implemented something with texture streaming in 1.04 that's causing the texture pop-in. I see things in 1.04 I never saw in 1.03: walls popping in full textures, rocks doing the same, the barnacle circle rock things in Caleid change like 3 texture LOD phases that I never saw before.

All I know is that the texture streaming and LOD are now identical to the PS4 version of the game. I compared multiple areas, and it's identical.

The extended LOD mod brute forces against the changes and eliminates all pop-in.

We could probably use DF's original PC video and grab some stills from there and compare to the current patch.

Sep 21, 2019
Thanks for all the effort you've put in. I'll try with the mod back on but lowering the settings a bit :)

After 20+ hours of testing using the Special K frametime graph, I found as close to perfect as possible to make the game smooth as silk, especially for people with GSYNC monitors/TVs. This is with the extended LOD mod without the extended grass.

1) Download Special K and Flawless Widescreen
2) For the Elden Ring .ini in Special K, change GameOutput=true to GameOutput=false

Another player with same results:

3) Launch the game without Flawless Widescreen enabled but with Special K enabled and the game in borderless mode
4) In Special K settings change "unlocked framerate" to "normal" while the game is running
5) Alt-tab to Flawless Widescreen and enable it with removing 60hz refresh rate and place frame limit to a few frames below your monitor's refresh rate
6) Alt-tab back to Eldren Ring and ensure that Vsync is FORCED OFF as option under top menu "display" drop-down (this should be the default)
7) DO NOT ENABLE PS BUTTON OPTION IN SPECIAL K. It causes weird frame drops and stuttering (took hours to isolate this)

Ideal Elden Ring settings would be high as the starting point.

Change grass to medium to help fps, especially in Liurnia. I also put effects to medium to help with fps drops on spells and mists (there is very minor visual loss here; mainly in distant light rendering; increase to maximum if okay with some spells/mists further tanking fps in a few places). I bump shadows, lighting, and volumetric to maximum.

With these changes, I played the game so smoothly. The random 1% frame drops that were happening disappeared and now rarely occur. When they do, they are repeatable in the open world instead of random like before.

The game is running better than it ever has for me.

Hopefully this helps some people.

Last edited:

FellowTarnished

Alt account
Banned
Mar 8, 2022
For me personally I find the pop in annoying but less so than the stuttering, which is now entirely fixed for me. It would be good if they could continue to work on the issue, though.

Dasik

Nov 29, 2020
I was playing my NG+2 save yesterday when I had a huge frame rate drop in Caelid. It seemed different, so I exited the game and restarted. Now my new 3070 TI is artifacting and crashing the PC. Was the game the reason or do you think it's coincidence and it's just a bad GPU. I played for the first month without any real FR drops, crashes or stutters, so it seems very weird. Just wondering if anyone has some advice or thoughts on the matter?

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I don't think Caelid broke your PC if that's the question, sounds likely it's just exposed something that was bound to happen.

Take a look in the event viewer for critical errors, but sounds like it might be RMA time sadly (unless it's an unstable OC)

FellowTarnished

Alt account
Banned
Mar 8, 2022
I was playing my NG+2 save yesterday when I had a huge frame rate drop in Caelid. It seemed different, so I exited the game and restarted. Now my new 3070 TI is artifacting and crashing the PC. Was the game the reason or do you think it's coincidence and it's just a bad GPU. I played for the first month without any real FR drops, crashes or stutters, so it seems very weird. Just wondering if anyone has some advice or thoughts on the matter?

Software generally doesn't destroy hardware. I remember when New World was "destroying video cards" and it turned out to be a fault with EVGA cards that the game exposed.

mhayze

Nov 18, 2017
rebooting every day and the borderless window thing have fixed the micro-stutters, but every 20 hours or so, it will go back and I'll have to reboot. Before last patch it was stable for days unless windows did an update or something. seems to have trouble with particle fields like the mist spell and other particle effects, that's when it stutters and fps takes a hit. but rebooting smooths it out. it doesn't make any damn sense though.
If you enable Dedicated and Shared GPU usage columns in task manager's Details tab, can you see if processes like DWM or your browser are using a significant portion of dedicated GPU memory? I usually kill DWM (causes a screen refresh) and my browser before a game session to smooth things out, makes reboots needed less frequently.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021

Unlikely, especially since ER forces a 60fps cap and even then it shouldn't be an issue.

Do the standard steps like using DDU to remove drivers and reinstall (maybe even try an older driver or a studio driver). Try with other games etc. I have had issues in the past with GPUs that were artifacting in some games that were fixed by reinstalling or rolling back a driver.

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
Upgraded from a 1070 to a 3060 ti today.
Used to get like 40-50fps and frequent stutters at 1080p but now I'm getting a locked 60fps and no stuttering so far at 1440p, finally.

moedor

Mar 10, 2022
With the latest patch I'm back at 45-50 fps on the first area open map (6700k and RTX 3070), was getting close to 60 before. I guess I will never play this shit.

AegBrito

Dec 12, 2020
It's more a hotfix than a patch, really. Nothing about performance or the LOD problem introduced in 1.04.
Maybe they reverted the LOD / texture streaming to 1.03 state silently, I certainly hope so, but will have to test it later.

I still hope to see one day : performance fix, dualshock/dualsense UI support and a better HDR toggle (if you don't start Windows on the HDR screen, in case of dual screen, HDR will toggle in the options but the game will output SDR no matter what until rebooting only on the HDR screen). And let's not talk about RT and DLSS :)

One can hope...

May 23, 2020
It's more a hotfix than a patch, really. Nothing about performance or the LOD problem introduced in 1.04.
Maybe they reverted the LOD / texture streaming to 1.03 state silently, I certainly hope so, but will have to test it later.

I still hope to see one day : performance fix, dualshock/dualsense UI support and a better HDR toggle (if you don't start Windows on the HDR screen, in case of dual screen, HDR will toggle in the options but the game will output SDR no matter what until rebooting only on the HDR screen). And let's not talk about RT and DLSS :)

One can hope...
Anyway to detect whether it is HDR or SDR while game is running if the HDR option is toggling?

AegBrito

Dec 12, 2020
Anyway to detect whether it is HDR or SDR while game is running if the HDR option is toggling?

Only visually, but it's a huge difference and you can see it on the main menu, "Elden Ring" will look washed out.
When you activate HDR in the menu, the color should look as saturated and contrast nearly the same as in SDR (a bit more contrasty even), if things look washed out, the game didn't switch its color range.

Only things that work for me is restarting windows with my HDR screen as the only screen.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2019
Extended LOD updated for version 1.04.1 below for anyone using it.

Parameter values changed are as follows:
GrassLodRangeParam.csv (only LOD with extended grass)
LoadBalancerDrawDistScaleParam.csv
LoadBalancerNewDrawDistScaleParam_win64.csv
PartsDrawParam.csv
SpeedtreeParam.csv

LOD without Extended Grass (RECOMMENDED):
Download Link
LOD with Extended Grass (NOT RECOMMENDED but here if you want to try it):
Download Link
CSV files:
Download Link

yagal

Oct 25, 2017
Extended LOD updated for version 1.04.1 below for anyone using it.

Parameter values changed are as follows:
GrassLodRangeParam.csv (only LOD with extended grass)
LoadBalancerDrawDistScaleParam.csv
LoadBalancerNewDrawDistScaleParam_win64.csv
PartsDrawParam.csv
SpeedtreeParam.csv

LOD without Extended Grass (RECOMMENDED):
Download Link
LOD with Extended Grass (NOT RECOMMENDED but here if you want to try it):
Download Link
CSV files:
Download Link

ty, I wanted to try the LOD with extended grass to see the impact on performance... It's just me or RivaTurner server is not working anymore with Elden Ring 🤔

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Hope they are looking forward into FSR 2.0....for many good reasons. DLSS would be great but FSR 2.0 would work for all version beside last gen. Only a good thing for everyone. Or I don't know how they can even think about implementing RT with this kind of performance even on a 3090ti.

Sep 21, 2019
ty, I wanted to try the LOD with extended grass to see the impact on performance... It's just me or RivaTurner server is not working anymore with Elden Ring 🤔

If you use extended grass mod with grass on high or maximum, the game will crash in the area with the catapults outside the Lift of Dectus. As you follow the road closer to that forest area, the game will crash. It will also crash if you come into that forest from the other side where Boc and the Finger Crone are near the gate to Lucaria Academy.

It will even sometimes crash without the extended grass mod and while using the other version of the mod.

This is a very performance heavy area no matter what, and the extended grass makes the game crash here.

I've visited all the other bad performance areas and tested the extended grass LOD other places with no issues. It does cause a bit more of a performance drop than the other LOD mod version but not too much, and it renders the tall grass area out longer so you don't see it pop in close on the maximum settings.

I haven't been using Riva on Elden Ring to control framerate, so I can't offer help there. I am using Special K and Flawless Widescreen.

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
I was off this game for a bit, but now that I've returned I'm encountering a strange issue with Special K, it doesn't seem to start with Elden Ring anymore, ER instead boots to the start screen but you can't press any buttons although the cursor can be moved. Reinstalling Special K helps and you can boot the game 1-2 times more but then it magically stops working again. I've updated everything to the latest version, any idea what's the problem here?

Last edited:

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
Is it fair to say that From has a bad engine?
It seems like they just make bad choices and don't have the technical chops to realize how bad they are. Their engines on the whole seem fine, as evidenced by the fact that their technical shortcomings are usually easily fixed by the modding community. They just don't seem to have the technical wherewithal to figure those things out on their own....

Pocky4Th3Win

Oct 31, 2017
Minnesota
It seems like they just make bad choices and don't have the technical chops to realize how bad they are. Their engines on the whole seem fine, as evidenced by the fact that their technical shortcomings are usually easily fixed by the modding community. They just don't seem to have the technical wherewithal to figure those things out on their own....
Or they just don't care. They never cared, they could have fixed all the technical problems in their games easily and never did.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
Or they just don't care. They never cared, they could have fixed all the technical problems in their games easily and never did.

It's both. Miyazaki has made it clear that he prioritizes stuff other than technical performance. Which is fine if it's a question of allocating time and resources to encounter and environment design or combat systems instead of things like graphical fidelity. But some of the technical shortcomings that they demonstrate are the types of things that really do impact those other two things, so it's a shame that they think it's ok, especially given the fact that they all seem to be things that DON'T require a huge amount of resource allocation to fix, given that one or two people in the community seem to be able to remediate their shortcomings.

What they really need to do is leverage some of their success and just hire a few technical consultants to keep on retainer to fix this obvious stuff. It's just a damned shame because these are some of the best games of the past two decades, and it's a shame that what should be the definitive versions of them that can stand as the historical record for people to experience for years and years to come are consigned to this fate.

Alternatively, I hope the modding community figures out how to just provide alternate online servers for both pvp, co op, and messaging so that the community can just fix it themselves while not having to give up the multiplayer aspects.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
It's both. Miyazaki has made it clear that he prioritizes stuff other than technical performance. Which is fine if it's a question of allocating time and resources to encounter and environment design or combat systems instead of things like graphical fidelity.
It doesn't make any sense though. Environment artists or combat designers or Miyazki himself don't have to fix the technical issues with their games. Their resources are either not capable of fixing it, or they just don't care. Its not a matter of limited resources like you pointed out in the rest of your post that community is able to do more in a shorter time span.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
It doesn't make any sense though. Environment artists or combat designers or Miyazki himself don't have to fix the technical issues with their games. Their resources are either not capable of fixing it, or they just don't care. Its not a matter of limited resources like you pointed out in the rest of your post that community is able to do more in a shorter time span.

If I had to guess, based on nothing more than things pulled from my own butt, i would say it's a top-down management issue; an entrenched but not-very-good technical engineering team and an unwillingness to either reach out for help from outside sources or shake up their established engineering teams. Miyazaki and his team are very good at what they do, but they are also so clearly deficient in this particular area that I can only explain it by a willful and institutional refusal to make it better.

Based on nothing but hearsay and conjecture, mind you.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
If I had to guess, based on nothing more than things pulled from my own butt, i would say it's a top-down management issue; an entrenched but not-very-good technical engineering team and an unwillingness to either reach out for help from outside sources or shake up their established engineering teams. Miyazaki and his team are very good at what they do, but they are also so clearly deficient in this particular area that I can only explain it by a willful and institutional refusal to make it better.

Based on nothing but hearsay and conjecture, mind you.
I don't read your conjecture as being too far off of reality. From Software clearly carries some technical debt which they've been hesitant or [insert descriptive phrase of choice] to eliminate.

But this is what we know: The next game will be coming off of the back of a 12+ million seller and should be launching solely on the new-gen consoles + PC. It will be inexcusable for From to not invest Elden Ring profits into their technical and engineering departments, thus risking a release that carries forward the performance issues of the past.

If they can't use the console generation split as a clean break and time for retooling, there's no hope.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
I don't read your conjecture as being too far off of reality. From Software clearly carries some technical debt which they've been hesitant or [insert descriptive phrase of choice] to eliminate.

But this is what we know: The next game will be coming off of the back of a 12+ million seller and should be launching solely on the new-gen consoles + PC. It will be inexcusable for From to not invest Elden Ring profits into their technical and engineering departments, thus risking a release that carries forward the performance issues of the past.

If they can't use the console generation split as a clean break and time for retooling, there's no hope.

I wish I could have any faith that it will be different, but the only thing that has helped past releases is the fan community "fixing" things. The reason why the tech issues are so obvious this time is because the caching issues aren't something that can be fixed by the community, and EAC makes it so you can't just load up any of the available fixes and maintain full connectivity.

Even simple stuff like fps caps and changeable button prompts isn't something they fixed in any previous games but noone cared since you could easily do it yourself. Same is true now but it's the first time you have to make the choice of that or online play. They have never cared about it, even in a game like sekiro where sony button prompts were already included and just needed a file change, and I don't have hope that this massive success will have changed any of that.

Freshmaker

Oct 28, 2017

Kinda depends on what Kadokawa lets them do I suspect.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The review scores weren't impacted by the technical issues clearly and Bloodborne was next-gen only and had framepacing issues. They are only going to invest if it tangibly impacts the sales of the game which it most likely never will.

Best to hope the mod community is able to fix things up alongside custom servers going forward.

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
But... They do? Isn't that why it's suggested that the best way to play it is specifically the ps4 version on a ps5?

Not really. Consoles have the issue were they can't maintain 60fps. The PC version has weird issues where even when the game runs at 60, it has random stutters and slow downs for no apparent reasons. It's very inconsistent and different people have very different experiences.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I wish I could have any faith that it will be different, but the only thing that has helped past releases is the fan community "fixing" things. The reason why the tech issues are so obvious this time is because the caching issues aren't something that can be fixed by the community, and EAC makes it so you can't just load up any of the available fixes and maintain full connectivity.

Even simple stuff like fps caps and changeable button prompts isn't something they fixed in any previous games but noone cared since you could easily do it yourself. Same is true now but it's the first time you have to make the choice of that or online play. They have never cared about it, even in a game like sekiro where sony button prompts were already included and just needed a file change, and I don't have hope that this massive success will have changed any of that.
Kinda depends on what Kadokawa lets them do I suspect.
The review scores weren't impacted by the technical issues clearly and Bloodborne was next-gen only and had framepacing issues. They are only going to invest if it tangibly impacts the sales of the game which it most likely never will.

Best to hope the mod community is able to fix things up alongside custom servers going forward.
None of you are wrong. I hve zero expectations of things getting better. Only a strong pack of hopium.