• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Considering it's been nearly a month and they haven't even patched fairly easy and broken in-game mechanic issues (certain arcane weapons not scaling at all when they have scaling values presented), I am very very hesitant that they will patch difficult PC issues that are built deep into the engine like device reconnecting checks and shader compilation which have been in every DS game on PC that I can remember (Maybe you all go luck on previous games but I had the same exact issues with the game freezing for 5-20 seconds and horrible netplay performance on every From game I own on PC even with my completely different older PC build).

This is only my opinion, but I just don't see it happening. I think what we see is what we get at this point for the most part. Only change this time is the huge press for how big this game is for public perception, maybe that will get somebody to give the team a kick to get things sorted but I doubt it.

Bandai actually does take feedback into consideration.

As this game is gonna last years with dlc expansions and what not and them starting their cross media with it, they will absolutely try to get it fixed.

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
Steps:
1)Open Device Manager
2)View -> Show Hidden Devices
3) Storage Controllers -> Xvdd SCSI Miniport -> Disable
4) Yes and restart

To re-enable Xbox Game Pass:
  1. Open Game Pass App (or else the device might not show)
  2. Same steps as above but Enable the device (no restart needed)

You won't be able to launch Game Pass games when the device is disabled.
This hasn't caused me any Game Pass issues (though I did recently have some regarding Halo and Guardians of the Galaxy but I haven't needed to do this since a FFXIV add-on was released that fixed the issue that game had with devices connecting/disconnecting and have only done this again AFTER I had those issues). This shouldn't cause any Game Pass problems but I'm no Microsoft doctor and take no liability if something breaks. Just this worked me for and others who play FFXIV (the issue there is the same as Elden Ring though rather than stutters your controller stops responding for the second or so every ~minute).

Tried this and it did absolutely nothing. Going by the last 10 minutes I've played it actually seemed to make it worse. I could go entire sessions without seeing the pause/skip.

Oct 28, 2017
This might be a long shot but anyone else using VeraCrypt/TrueCrypt for some of their hard disks and having freezes (multiple seconds)?

NeroPaige

Jan 8, 2018
Considering it's been nearly a month and they haven't even patched fairly easy and broken in-game mechanic issues (certain arcane weapons not scaling at all when they have scaling values presented), I am very very hesitant that they will patch difficult PC issues that are built deep into the engine like device reconnecting checks and shader compilation which have been in every DS game on PC that I can remember (Maybe you all go luck on previous games but I had the same exact issues with the game freezing for 5-20 seconds and horrible netplay performance on every From game I own on PC even with my completely different older PC build).

This is only my opinion, but I just don't see it happening. I think what we see is what we get at this point for the most part. Only change this time is the huge press for how big this game is for public perception, maybe that will get somebody to give the team a kick to get things sorted but I doubt it.
I'll buy this game on sale and by then hopefully a lot of things will be fixed.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Man even with a 3080 and i9 the game drops to the mid 50s at 4K while raining and stays there. Game just doesn't look that good lol

Plus there was a late game boss
Lichdragon
where my framerate stayed in the 40s(guessing) the entire time. Lots of particles for sure but DS3 had those

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Man even with a 3080 and i9 the game drops to the mid 50s at 4K while raining and stays there. Game just doesn't look that good lol

Lichdragon
where my framerate stayed in the 40s(guessing) the entire time. Lots of particles for sure but DS3 had those

It's all random at this point but try turning off steam overlay if you haven't, for some reason my framerate was dog shit even on mid with it.

Oct 27, 2017
Man why didn't I play with the FOV sooner, the difference is so dramatic.

Default:

S0WL3WY.png

+50% in FPS Unlocker:

TsBnCZ8.png

Makes my 1080p display feel widescreen.

anti cheat fucking SUUUCKS :( my second play-through is 100% gonna be modded the fuck out...
fps slider on pc would have be soo cool.. your up your characters asshole the whole damn game...
fucking anticheats
fucking cheaters....
:/

such as shame.

PapaGoob

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
The first week of launch I experienced very little issues outside of some minor stutter here and there. But now it doesn't seem like I can play for more than 20 minutes before the game completely locks up for 30 seconds and then crashes to desktop. I'm so annoyed because this is way past the refund window but I can't even enjoy the damn game.

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa

Sadly, I think Bandai Namco and From will look at the sales on PC and the overall score on Steam and think that's indicative of a successful launch and therefore not worth allocating resources towards fixing.

I'd be surprised if we see the port getting fixed in the near future, if ever.

Bulletzen

Oct 30, 2017
Sadly, I think Bandai Namco and From will look at the sales on PC and the overall score on Steam and think that's indicative of a successful launch and therefore not worth allocating resources towards fixing.

I'd be surprised if we see the port getting fixed in the near future, if ever.
There is a strong possibility of a patch this week right? Lets hope to see some improvements with it

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017

Lichdragon

Ya this was also my experience. Even besides the technical issues the game has, I wasn't very happy with 4k performance regardless, and the settings require large sacrifices to get much performance back.

ZeroNoir_

Oct 25, 2017
what are good settings to downgrade to have a somewhat better experience in 4k? 5800x - 3080 runs pretty much 4k60 with some drops

Oct 27, 2017
Sigh. I just want widescreen support that works baked in. I tried flawless widescreen and it worked at 2560*1440 but not at 3440*1440 it reverted to 16:9. It seems like this won't be fixed anytime soon if ever through official means.

Rewind

Oct 27, 2017
If Steam has somehow fixed the performance on Steam Deck at the proton level, is the same fixes available on SteamOS? Has anyone tried running the game with a high-end PC on SteamOS instead of Windows?
The key fix will not work on a normal PC. They are able to compile the shaders for steam deck because of the fixed hardware. The proton level enhancements are also in other mods such as Special K if you want a better performing game on windows. You just have to play offline.

dadoes

Feb 15, 2018
The key fix will not work on a normal PC. They are able to compile the shaders for steam deck because of the fixed hardware. The proton level enhancements are also in other mods such as Special K if you want a better performing game on windows. You just have to play offline.

the shader compilation isn't the issue. Everybody on PC experiences the shader compilation stutter. But from all accounts, thats minor and doesn't really affect gameplay.

The bigger issue is the 1 sec freezes that happen with certain PCs. Not everybody experiences those freezes and thats what From needs to root cause and address.

Janus

Oct 18, 2020

Aren't the shader compilation stutters actually NOT the major cause of those hitches? After mentioning the precompilation solution, Rich mentions that the memory allocation issue is the major cause of those hitches.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Does anyone have an issue where if they alt tab sometimes the controller will stop working for some menu inputs? Any idea of a fix? It resolves on relaunching the game but it's a bit of a hassle.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I was fighting Glinstone Dragon last night, and his most deadly attack was causing the game to crash. Added pressure to kill him quickly instead of playing it safe. I hadn't experienced any crashes up until this point.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
It should work. Won't fix frame drops or shader compilation stutters but will fix the second long freeze then speed up that you will notice happen roughly every minute some days then other days are absent.
Dude thank you this totally worked! Those freezes have been fuckin my shit up since launch and now I can actually play without worrying about getting wrecked by random slowdown

Rewind

Oct 27, 2017
Aren't the shader compilation stutters actually NOT the major cause of those hitches? After mentioning the precompilation solution, Rich mentions that the memory allocation issue is the major cause of those hitches.
Yes, I'm saying SpecialK does the memory allocation fixes, etc… the major advantage with proton is that you can use it online. The steam deck also gets shaders fixed but the other proton fixes are in special k as far as I know.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Is this gonna work when you are inside dungeons?
Maxed FOV is amazing in the field. For dungeon it's totally fine but probably would find its ideal at +35% rather than the +50%.

anti cheat fucking SUUUCKS :( my second play-through is 100% gonna be modded the fuck out...
fps slider on pc would have be soo cool.. your up your characters asshole the whole damn game...
fucking anticheats
fucking cheaters....
:/

such as shame.

Come to the dark side of offline mode. Unless you're playing with friends the online isn't worth passing on all of the mods.

It's mee and my ash summons against the world.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
I feel multiplayer in this one might be the worst, or least good, of them all if it works how I think it works?

Isn't the multiplayer based on your level? So what Summon signs you see and who invades you etc is like +/- a few levels or something? And with this being so much more open than even the most open previous Souls game, you could be miles apart in levels and physical location from someone else. I've not seen a single player summon sign and have been called as a blue spirit 3 times (and two of them instantly ending anyway) and I've had the blue spirit ring active since I bought it.

And the messages... just constant memes, shitty jokes and trolls calling out to fake illusory walls or obvious "jump here". No clever trolling messages or actually funny messages (gee I wonder if this sign calls this clearly not dog animal a dog? Yes. It does. Every time.) And so many are just put over items or switches and it's annoying, much more than previous souls games at launch.

Gonna keep online this play-through though because there is the occasional message before a boss that mentions a weakness to exploit or calls out an actual drop off point. Next play-through though I'll probably cheat engine some runes or a bunch of the respec items and have fun with different builds.

gifyku

Aug 17, 2020
I feel multiplayer in this one might be the worst, or least good, of them all if it works how I think it works?

Isn't the multiplayer based on your level? So what Summon signs you see and who invades you etc is like +/- a few levels or something? And with this being so much more open than even the most open previous Souls game, you could be miles apart in levels and physical location from someone else. I've not seen a single player summon sign and have been called as a blue spirit 3 times (and two of them instantly ending anyway) and I've had the blue spirit ring active since I bought it.

And the messages... just constant memes, shitty jokes and trolls calling out to fake illusory walls or obvious "jump here". No clever trolling messages or actually funny messages (gee I wonder if this sign calls this clearly not dog animal a dog? Yes. It does. Every time.) And so many are just put over items or switches and it's annoying, much more than previous souls games at launch.

Gonna keep online this play-through though because there is the occasional message before a boss that mentions a weakness to exploit or calls out an actual drop off point. Next play-through though I'll probably cheat engine some runes or a bunch of the respec items and have fun with different builds.

I am trying to do the quest with the fingers to do 3 invasions and i have not been able to invade anyone at lvl 63

Ellite25

Oct 30, 2017
the shader compilation isn't the issue. Everybody on PC experiences the shader compilation stutter. But from all accounts, thats minor and doesn't really affect gameplay.

The bigger issue is the 1 sec freezes that happen with certain PCs. Not everybody experiences those freezes and thats what From needs to root cause and address.
I posted about a Reddit thread in this thread regarding a fix that worked for me that also happens to me in Dark Souls 3. Apparently the freezes were caused by the PC thinking that new devices were being installed because of the way that Gamepass installed games on a virtual disk. I deleted all of the games there and have not had a single big freeze since. Apparently it can also be caused by devices plugged into the PC that may be seen as connecting, disconnecting, and reconnecting.

Pey

Nov 27, 2017
Argentina
You need to turn on the frametime graph and actually run around the world to say it has fixed stuttering.

The stuttering is caused mostly by low or inconsistent GPU usage and the mod fixes that. Hence, the stuttering is also fixed cause the GPU is used as it should. It won't be completely fixed if your CPU is not good enough, but at least the GPU usage is ok now.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
The stuttering is caused mostly by low or inconsistent GPU usage and the mod fixes that. Hence, the stuttering is also fixed cause the GPU is used as it should. It won't be completely fixed if your CPU is not good enough, but at least the GPU usage is ok now.

And you've cleared your shader cache between each run?

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
I decided to mess around a bit with Elden Ring today. Man the DX12 requirement is kind of a bummer. Makes you realize how outdated hardware really doesn't work in 2022.

I tried running it on my daughters computer 6600k and a 7870XT, turns out 7870s are not very DX12 compatible. I should have looked it up before hand, doubly so before I tried a 750Ti, which also does not support DX12 much. I tried a workaround, but spent maybe 10 mins on it, before giving up.

Funnily enough an Intel UHD630 does "work", but not really. I was at work and using Steam link to play, but our internet was bad(we're an MSP!). We were getting a bunch of dropped packets and some 200ms ping in between. So I installed Elden Ring on a work PC with a 8500 i5 with UHD630 graphics. It would boot and run. At low settings and 720p it was almost playable. Framerate was bad obviously, like prolly 20fps average. Then my mount was invisible as well as most enemies. On top of that there were other graphical glitches.

Kinda want to keep trying with the 7870, but guessing it's just to far out of date.

I'm playing on my 3700x/3070 and in home streaming isn't bad, so there's that. My coworker has a Steam Deck on order and I'm a little jealous.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I posted about a Reddit thread in this thread regarding a fix that worked for me that also happens to me in Dark Souls 3. Apparently the freezes were caused by the PC thinking that new devices were being installed because of the way that Gamepass installed games on a virtual disk. I deleted all of the games there and have not had a single big freeze since. Apparently it can also be caused by devices plugged into the PC that may be seen as connecting, disconnecting, and reconnecting.

Try the below, it worked for me
Steps:
1)Open Device Manager
2)View -> Show Hidden Devices
3) Storage Controllers -> Xvdd SCSI Miniport -> Disable
4) Yes and restart

To re-enable Xbox Game Pass:
  1. Open Game Pass App (or else the device might not show)
  2. Same steps as above but Enable the device (no restart needed)

You won't be able to launch Game Pass games when the device is disabled.
This hasn't caused me any Game Pass issues (though I did recently have some regarding Halo and Guardians of the Galaxy but I haven't needed to do this since a FFXIV add-on was released that fixed the issue that game had with devices connecting/disconnecting and have only done this again AFTER I had those issues). This shouldn't cause any Game Pass problems but I'm no Microsoft doctor and take no liability if something breaks. Just this worked me for and others who play FFXIV (the issue there is the same as Elden Ring though rather than stutters your controller stops responding for the second or so every ~minute).

Acrano

Nov 2, 2017
Germany
I am trying to do the quest with the fingers to do 3 invasions and i have not been able to invade anyone at lvl 63
I had the same problem. Took me some time but managed to do it after I turned cross region matchmaking to on, but it was 10 minutes+ to the point I thought it just bugged and doesn´t work at all. Invaded one time while being in the academy and the other two times standing near the npc that gives you the fingers.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
That's not what I said though. Standing in one spot with a higher framerate does not offer any proof that the stuttering is fixed.

The DX12 shader compilation stuttering is not GPU usage so I'm confused as to why you are calling it fixed without putting it through its paces. Thus I asked you to put up a frametime graph and move around.

If you're saying one cause of a stuttering issue (low GPU usage) was fixed and not the other (DX12), my apologies.