• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
I believe that this has been discussed already, but I just wanted to mention that XMP mode for my RAM needed to be turned off in the system BIOS. That ended up eliminating about 95% of the hitching/freezing I was having. I stopped having the occasional freeze followed by a crash after this as well.

Just for anyone that might be having this problem but hadn't tried this yet.

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
Something I found that helps with me personally is I have a valve index, for some reason when it's plugged in USB it constantly disconnects/reconnects haven't really figured out why, the index runs fine but unplugging it before launching elden ring and leaving unplugged helped dramatically with stutter/freezes.

Sep 21, 2019
I believe that this has been discussed already, but I just wanted to mention that XMP mode for my RAM needed to be turned off in the system BIOS. That ended up eliminating about 95% of the hitching/freezing I was having. I stopped having the occasional freeze followed by a crash after this as well.

Just for anyone that might be having this problem but hadn't tried this yet.

Just curious but why would turning off XMP help? This is supposed to get the RAM to run at optimal speeds and correct timings and enhance the performance of the memory.

Just curious why this would improve anything.

Qrusher14242

Oct 29, 2017
Did you goto the MS Store and update to the latest version of the app? I haven't come across this error yet but I can genuinely say I also really hate the app lol.
Seems like it was just that game (Ape Escape). Seems like it left GP at some point, but it was still installed. I was able to move at least 2 games, so will try to move them and then see if it works. The files for the games do show up in the new directory, so they aren't in the WindowsApp folder anymore.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Seems like it was just that game (Ape Escape). Seems like it left GP at some point, but it was still installed. I was able to move at least 2 games, so will try to move them and then see if it works. The files for the games do show up in the new directory, so they aren't in the WindowsApp folder anymore.

That's probably what it is, makes sense actually tbh.

Just make sure that you have no games installed in the windows app folder or you will continue to get xvd volumes pop up and the stutter will remain in other games.

Honestly I can't believe this is even an issue, for so long I have wondered what these annoying little micro stutters have been on certain games and when I tested and noted down the time of stutters and then looked in event viewer they perfectly matched up with xvd event times.

Naru

May 11, 2019
None of the here or elsewhere mentioned tweaks like increasing the shader cache in the nvidia/amd settings, turning that enumeration thing off, uninstalling GamePass games, excluding the game from windows virus check etc etc. has changed anything on the stuttering.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
None of the here or elsewhere mentioned tweaks like increasing the shader cache in the nvidia/amd settings, turning that enumeration thing off, uninstalling GamePass games, excluding the game from windows virus check etc etc. has changed anything on the stuttering.
It won't dude.
The only way this game is fixed is a patch from the devs.
Everything else is just placebo nonsense.

Yippiekai

The Fallen
May 28, 2018
Toulouse, France
It won't dude.
The only way this game is fixed is a patch from the devs.
Everything else is just placebo nonsense.

Depends of the issue you're facing.
I had the hard-freeze for a second twice problem every 5 to 10 minutes. Removed the Gamepass games/mounted virtual disks and I didn't have a single one of those for the next 10 hours, in multiple play sessions. That's some strong placebo.

For standard framerate drop/stuttering, yes, most of the "fixes" don't seem to do much and it's From's responsibility to correct it.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
I have no XGP games installed and Elden Ring is in an NVME SSD, after the patch there's more stutters + now freezes too than before the patch from the other day.

Also, I updated the bios a while ago so I don't have XMP on, unfortunately, since I don't remember the correct numbers. So.. yeah.

Last edited:

moedor

Mar 10, 2022
I love souls games but couldn't bring myself to play Elden yet because these performace issues... It's unacceptable to me that a i7 6700k and RTX 3070 can't run a game at 60 fps locked. I tried specialK mod (on a cracked game) and it didn't help either...

Then I installed the steam version again and noticed something weird: the game ran better for a while (between 55-60 on the first open world area), but Vsync was off and tearing like crazy. This has something to do with specialk? (even though I installed it on a cracked version on a different folder, maybe it messed with a root user folder somehow? I already unistalled it completely, even registry entries). Also, I noticed that when I changed resolution to test the CPU (from 4k to 600p), performace got WORSE (40-45 fps). What a crazy game. Any tips? Thanks

john2gr

Oct 27, 2017
XMP is an overclock and can thus be unstable so it's not that ridiculous that it helps for some people.

Most people never test stability when they enable XMP. Overclocking without any stability testing is of course not recommended.

And this is why I'm certain that the main cause of the stutters in this game that a lot of people experience has nothing to do with the game. If the game had stutters, EVERYONE would be experiencing them (for instance, shader cache stutters affect everyone). If there is a hardware or software-related issue, then only specific people will experience them. Numerous people do not experience major stutters in Elden Ring, especially after the latest patch.

For example, you CAN have stutters if you're playing the game and downloading something in the background. You can have stutters if you are recording a video. You can have stutters if Windows is updating in the background (without you noticing it). You can have stutters due to hardware/stability issues. Hell, you can even have stutters due to connectivity issues (here is a hint, your mobile may be updating without you noticing it). These stutters are NOT related to the game itself though.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Had to go Online for a bit to advance a quest and now I have a huge headache for playing 30min with chromatic aberration at 60fps. Should be illegal to sell a PC game with those forced.

Oct 27, 2017
Every time I've had stuttering in this game, something else was opened in the background.

For instance, having Facebook opened on a browser will make Elden Ring stutter everytime there's a messenger notification.

This game has a lot of trouble with multitasking lol

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I cant use HDR outside of fullscreen and whenever I alt tab into resetera from Elden Ring and back it's all grey and I see things like 'reply to planetsmasher' in the game itself lol

GReeeeN

Senior Analyst at GSD
Verified
Mar 6, 2018
So what's the better program to use between Special K and Flawless Widescreen? Seeing both being recommended.

It states to launch the game offline, does this mean I need to take my steam offline as well/ no access to friends list?, or is it just in game itself? If it's just the game, do I just decline EULA at the start screen to play offline?, any other steps needed to not get banned?

Sorry for the questions, just trying to confirm the r correct steps before banning my 71 hour save….

I plan to play with HDR, ultrawide, frame rate unlcok and Chromatic Aberration turned off.

Which is the better program to use?

Thanks

Naru

May 11, 2019
And this is why I'm certain that the main cause of the stutters in this game that a lot of people experience has nothing to do with the game. If the game had stutters, EVERYONE would be experiencing them (for instance, shader cache stutters affect everyone). If there is a hardware or software-related issue, then only specific people will experience them. Numerous people do not experience major stutters in Elden Ring, especially after the latest patch.
Every Stream I watched on Twitch had these stutters when they played the PC version. And those people with thousands of viewers probably have good PCs. Also if literally every other game I play doesn't have this problem, it's the fucking game that is the issue here. Even if it is one singe PC setting thing on Windows or Bios or whatever. The game is causing this when everything else I play works.

hachikoma

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Something I found that helps with me personally is I have a valve index, for some reason when it's plugged in USB it constantly disconnects/reconnects haven't really figured out why, the index runs fine but unplugging it before launching elden ring and leaving unplugged helped dramatically with stutter/freezes.
Yeah, either this game or EAC does something wild with USB devices. It still doesn't recognize my controller, so I had to bind keyboard and mouse inputs to it in Steam. Pretty garbo.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I finally experienced two of the full-on hitches that cause the action to freeze for half a second or more. This happened while exploring the Siofra River area, fortunately I wasn't in combat.

Hopefully this isn't a sign of things to come. Umbasa.

shorodei

Feb 21, 2022
Yeah, either this game or EAC does something wild with USB devices. It still doesn't recognize my controller, so I had to bind keyboard and mouse inputs to it in Steam. Pretty garbo.

DS3 steam for me kept launching into a white screen then crashing... until i disconnected my controller. Some things never change. That experience led me to get FRom games on console from now on.

Janus

Oct 18, 2020
Dev branches got updated again a few hours ago on SteamDB. I hope we'll get a patch this week.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Are there any new secret sauce fixes for the long (like half a second) hitches that result in the game speeding up to catch back up and then another hitch directly after it?

Oct 28, 2017
Turning off XMP may not work for you, but it definitely resolved the issue for me. I've had one other game that had some issue with XMP a few years ago that exhibited similar symptoms until I turned it off. Hell, it might have even been another Souls game.

This eliminated the major freezing for one to two seconds and occasional crashes for me. It was an easy fix in BIOS, which I can turn back on as soon as I'm done with Elden Ring.

No, in this case it wasn't "placebo nonsense" despite what some of you want to claim. The game was literally freezing and sometimes crashing. With XMP off, it has ceased doing that.

I simply suggested it because it could be an issue for others. May or may not work for you, but I wanted to put it out there because this was literally the only thing that made a difference for me.

Edits: Typographical errors

Last edited:

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Turning off XMP may not work for you, but it definitely resolved the issue for me. I've had one other game that had some issue with XMP a few years ago that exhibited similar issues until I turned it off. Hell, it might have even been another Souls game.

This eliminated the major freezing for one to two seconds and occasional crashes for me. It was an easy fix in BIOS, which I can turn back on as soon as I'm done with Elden Ring.

No, in this case it wasn't "placebo nonsense" despite what some do you want to claim. The game was literally freezing and sometimes crashing. With XMP off, it has ceased doing that.

I simply suggested it because it could be an issue for others. May or may not work for you, but I wanted to put it out there because this was literally the only thing that made a difference for me.
Damn, XMP was a pain to set up (amd processor, 3400 ram). Will it keep my settings if I disable it so I can just switch it back on later?

Oct 28, 2017
Damn, XMP was a pain to set up (amd processor, 3400 ram). Will it keep my settings if I disable it so I can just switch it back on later?

For me it's very easy in my BIOS, it saves the profile I setup. I've already turned it back on to make sure. I guess mileage may very, but for MSI it was simple.

If it is really complicated for you, I would suggest waiting for a patch since it won't necessarily solve the issue.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
For me it's very easy in my BIOS, it saves the profile I setup. I've already turned it back on to make sure. I guess mileage may very, but for MSI it was simple.

If it is really complicated for you, I would suggest waiting for a patch since it won't necessarily solve the issue.
I'm beginning to lose hope they'll ever fix it lol

I guess my controller works now, so it's not like everything is as bad as it was at launch, but still

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Are there any new secret sauce fixes for the long (like half a second) hitches that result in the game speeding up to catch back up and then another hitch directly after it?

If you have Game Pass installed then yes, there is a fix. If you don't then probably not.

If you have Game Pass then either uninstall all game pass games, try moving them to a different folder (apparantly this makes them actual files and not just images in the MSXIVC whatever folder) or disable the device that manages the gae pass virtual disks in device manager (but re-enable when playing Game Pass games).

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
If you have Game Pass installed then yes, there is a fix. If you don't then probably not.

If you have Game Pass then either uninstall all game pass games, try moving them to a different folder (apparantly this makes them actual files and not just images in the MSXIVC whatever folder) or disable the device that manages the gae pass virtual disks in device manager (but re-enable when playing Game Pass games).

What am I disabling?

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Man why didn't I play with the FOV sooner, the difference is so dramatic.

Default:

S0WL3WY.png

+50% in FPS Unlocker:

TsBnCZ8.png

Makes my 1080p display feel widescreen.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
What am I disabling?

Yeah what device? I'm not gonna uninstall all the games (it's like 350gb of stuff that I'd rather not redownload) but disabling a device is ez

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
What am I disabling?

Yeah what device? I'm not gonna uninstall all the games (it's like 350gb of stuff that I'd rather not redownload) but disabling a device is ez

Steps:
1)Open Device Manager
2)View -> Show Hidden Devices
3) Storage Controllers -> Xvdd SCSI Miniport -> Disable
4) Yes and restart

To re-enable Xbox Game Pass:
  1. Open Game Pass App (or else the device might not show)
  2. Same steps as above but Enable the device (no restart needed)

You won't be able to launch Game Pass games when the device is disabled.
This hasn't caused me any Game Pass issues (though I did recently have some regarding Halo and Guardians of the Galaxy but I haven't needed to do this since a FFXIV add-on was released that fixed the issue that game had with devices connecting/disconnecting and have only done this again AFTER I had those issues). This shouldn't cause any Game Pass problems but I'm no Microsoft doctor and take no liability if something breaks. Just this worked me for and others who play FFXIV (the issue there is the same as Elden Ring though rather than stutters your controller stops responding for the second or so every ~minute).

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Steps:
1)Open Device Manager
2)View -> Show Hidden Devices
3) Storage Controllers -> Xvdd SCSI Miniport -> Disable
4) Yes and restart

To re-enable Xbox Game Pass:
  1. Open Game Pass App (or else the device might not show)
  2. Same steps as above but Enable the device (no restart needed)

You won't be able to launch Game Pass games when the device is disabled.
This hasn't caused me any Game Pass issues (though I did recently have some regarding Halo and Guardians of the Galaxy but I haven't needed to do this since a FFXIV add-on was released that fixed the issue that game had with devices connecting/disconnecting and have only done this again AFTER I had those issues). This shouldn't cause any Game Pass problems but I'm no Microsoft doctor and take no liability if something breaks. Just this worked me for and others who play FFXIV (the issue there is the same as Elden Ring though rather than stutters your controller stops responding for the second or so every ~minute).
Thanks I'll give it a shot

Zeouter

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
I now get some major major stutters when fighting that first sentinel on horseback.
Fought him a week or two ago and got nothing like this.
This was drop to zero for a second or two stutters, it's crazy.

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
Considering it's been nearly a month and they haven't even patched fairly easy and broken in-game mechanic issues (certain arcane weapons not scaling at all when they have scaling values presented), I am very very hesitant that they will patch difficult PC issues that are built deep into the engine like device reconnecting checks and shader compilation which have been in every DS game on PC that I can remember (Maybe you all go luck on previous games but I had the same exact issues with the game freezing for 5-20 seconds and horrible netplay performance on every From game I own on PC even with my completely different older PC build).

This is only my opinion, but I just don't see it happening. I think what we see is what we get at this point for the most part. Only change this time is the huge press for how big this game is for public perception, maybe that will get somebody to give the team a kick to get things sorted but I doubt it.