• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Naru

May 11, 2019
I could swear sometimes there are way more stutters in the same area than on other days. Today has been crazy for me. Constant slowdowns and drops.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Any idea how to properly inject SpecialK? I've tried global injection but it just doesn't work.

taggen86

Mar 3, 2018
Well that's the thing, the freezes and the stutters are two different things. The shudders that are caused by the shader stuff/lack of optimization is harder to pin down and can't really be "fixed" just mitigated until actual patch work comes. It also comes and goes depending on how much of the cache is built so many people think they find/found fixes when it's just how the stuff is working.

The freezing has multiple possible causes but one that has been traced has to do with any time a hardware change is made in the background. Be it drivers switching around, usb devices being plugged in/removed, even drives activating. As I understand, the reason why removing gamepass/uninstalling games that are from it helps with this issue is the way gamepass installs and then manages some games. Refer to the following post for a better explanation of why this happens;

But again, this isn't the only thing that causes the "freezes". Anything else that also does something simular in device manager also will trigger the short 1-2second freezes. Also why people also recomend disabling "Microsoft Device Association Root Enumerator" as a fix.

Now I have played 4 hours since disabling rooth enumeration and uninstalling gamepass without a single 1 sec freeze. Before I got them all the time. It is awesome to finally have the game playable

Last edited:

ChitonIV

Nov 14, 2021
Any idea how to properly inject SpecialK? I've tried global injection but it just doesn't work.
Download one of the nightly builds. Drop the 2 .dll files into the same folder are Eldenring.exe

rename the 32 bit one as "d3d9.dll" and the 64 bit one as "dxgi.dll"

They recommend you switch the game to borderless fullscreen, to get all of the features of specialK.

wrongway

Oct 27, 2017
Welp. I had a long stretch of fairly solid performance after the last couple patches and got to make a ton of nice progress without thinking about tech problems. But I hit the Plateau yesterday, and now I'm getting a half-second freeze every 20-40 seconds. Audio is now randomly cutting out for a second or two as well, sometimes along with a stutter and sometimes just on its own. Both of these are happening everywhere, new and old areas alike.

Bleh. I should just break down and try out specialk and some other mods, but I love the dumb online shenanigans in these games. :(

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Tried streaming it over Nvidia Shield TV tonight. Same shader stutters of course, but it also froze up every few minutes for a second or so, which doesn't happen if I play right on my PC. I wonder if that's EAC or something hogging network resources every so often?

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
1. Rename "start_protected_game.exe" to something else, or delete it.
2. Copy "eldenring.exe".
3. Rename the copied exe to "start_protected_game.exe".

EAC is now disabled.
I don't know if its needed or not, but I assume the extra precaution doesn't hurt.
Thank you.

Is the original eldenring.exe needed for things such as SpecialK or Flawless Widescreen? I could start without it no issues, but SpecialK doesn't seem to work without it.
Download one of the nightly builds. Drop the 2 .dll files into the same folder are Eldenring.exe

rename the 32 bit one as "d3d9.dll" and the 64 bit one as "dxgi.dll"

They recommend you switch the game to borderless fullscreen, to get all of the features of specialK.
Thanks, the global injection works now all of a sudden but I'll try local injection later if it ends up breaking!

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
There's another method where you create a text file with the Steam App ID in it in the game's folder, and instead of launching through Steam, just start eldenring.exe. It accomplishes the same thing, starts the game without EAC.

Or... so I've heard. I mean, I don't use Cheat Engine or anything. Did I say Cheat Engine? I don't even know what that is...

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Well that's the thing, the freezes and the stutters are two different things. The shudders that are caused by the shader stuff/lack of optimization is harder to pin down and can't really be "fixed" just mitigated until actual patch work comes. It also comes and goes depending on how much of the cache is built so many people think they find/found fixes when it's just how the stuff is working.

The freezing has multiple possible causes but one that has been traced has to do with any time a hardware change is made in the background. Be it drivers switching around, usb devices being plugged in/removed, even drives activating. As I understand, the reason why removing gamepass/uninstalling games that are from it helps with this issue is the way gamepass installs and then manages some games. Refer to the following post for a better explanation of why this happens;

But again, this isn't the only thing that causes the "freezes". Anything else that also does something simular in device manager also will trigger the short 1-2second freezes. Also why people also recomend disabling "Microsoft Device Association Root Enumerator" as a fix.

I noticed a LOT of that today but then other days very little. JUST LIKE IN FFXIV WITH THE CONTROLLER BULLSHIT.

In FFXIV it was whenever a virtual drive was mounted/unmounted the controller input would freeze because windows detects a device unplugging and FFXIV searches for controllers again whenever that happens (test by plugging in a USB stick/unplugging the USB stick while moving with a controller). Some magic person made an add-on for the XIVLauncher that fixes this issue but of COURSE it's another game that brings this problem.

The enumerator didn't work for me but my "guide" there did. Though recently I've had Game Pass issues so would rather not fuck with my old "fix" (I never had problems when I used the fix, just I've had issues recently unrelated to it and would rather not poke the bear).

I fucking hate how MS have handled Game Pass on PC. Fucking insane backwards logic where the games are essentially disk images mounted to virtual drives to run except WINDOWS JUST KEEPS FUCKING CONNECTING AND DISCONNECTING THE DRIVES WHEN YOU AREN'T USING GAME PASS GAMES! And this is on top of the "usual" Game Pass issues of games randomly vanishing and eating up disk space or not letting you download or update a game or not running at all and then not uninstalling. Fucking fuck fuck, the lot of it. I was wondering why some days were "fine" and others were a majour sutter every minute (every minute a drive is disconnected).

If this happens to people, check event viewer > Administrative Events if you have Game Pass and see if you have any errors with the source "disk" when you have the stutter. Or have it open and when you stutter refresh the list to see if one pops up. Source: disk, event ID 157, "Disk __ has been surprise removed.".

ChitonIV

Nov 14, 2021
Thank you.

Is the original eldenring.exe needed for things such as SpecialK or Flawless Widescreen? I could start without it no issues, but SpecialK doesn't seem to work without it.

Thanks, the global injection works now all of a sudden but I'll try local injection later if it ends up breaking!
Global Injection of SpecialK, if its working properly, is supposed to bypass EAC.

Local injection requires that you do something like spoofing the protected app .exe or whatever.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm starting to get a lot more crashes during loading screens and some graphical glitches that required me to restart my PC. I can't pinpoint exactly what it could be as its very random. I can play for hours and have no crashes and then after 30 minutes one run just have it crash during loading.

FellowTarnished

Alt account
Banned
Mar 8, 2022
I'm starting to get a lot more crashes during loading screens and some graphical glitches that required me to restart my PC. I can't pinpoint exactly what it could be as its very random. I can play for hours and have no crashes and then after 30 minutes one run just have it crash during loading.

I literally just crashed on a loading screen, it seems to always happen when going back to the Round Table for me. I've had it happen maybe 5 times in 100+ hours so it's not too bad, but it definitely needs to be fixed.

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for the constant Flawless Widescreen questions but ya'll have been helpful! So...

What's the Frametime adjustment for, what's it do exactly?

sOba

Oct 28, 2017
Italy
I'm really having trouble believing the "it runs perfectly fine for me" posts at this point lol. Either y'all just don't notice constant frame stutters and longer area loads, or you're playing on way scaled down settings. That said I'm very much doubting From will put out a working patch anytime soon so I guess we're stuck with it anyway, if we want to play online.
Does this mean that if you play offline the stutter goes away?

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
Does this mean that if you play offline the stutter goes away?
What they're saying is that they have to play offline because using the myriad of mods and specialk to try and mitigate/work-around the issues as a temporary stop-gap means you cannot play online. A proper fix can only come from the devs and is necessary in order to have both an actual fix and the ability to play online

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Well the "remove 60hz FS limit" option unlocks the framerate. So the "frametime adjustment" slider is just a framerate limiter then? If so, does that work better than NVCP framerate limiter for Elden Ring?
Yeah, that option is for Exclusive Fullscreen refreshrate. You can use the frametime adjustment as a framerate limiter, and you might as well use it if you want to unlock the framerate as well as locking it to another value. No reason to mix FW with NVCP in my opinion unless you have a specific aim, you can just use FW for both.

If you want an even better alternative, you could try the latest version of SpecialK. It unlocks the framerate, has a very good framelimiter and can also mitigate some stuttering!

Last edited:

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
That option is for Exclusive Fullscreen refreshrate. You can use the frametime adjustment as a framerate limiter, and you might as well use it if you want to unlock the framerate as well as locking it to another value.

If you want an even better alternative, you could try the latest version of SpecialK.
Got it, thanks for the info appreciate it!

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I tried this game on Linux (Pop OS) last night and oh wow. All the microstutters are GONE. It runs at a truly smooth 60 FPS. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Valve really went and fixed this game on their own.

Just wow.

This is on a laptop with an i7 9750H (6c/12t, runs at around 3.4~3.6 GHz while playing), an RTX 2070 and 32 GB of RAM

Unfortunately the Linux experience isn't that good in general on this laptop (nvidia optimus memes, fans constantly ramped up for some reason, etc) but good to know that the game is fixable, there is clearly some sort of bug that is introducing all these stutters. I bet they can fix it.

Drachen

May 3, 2021
I'm honestly shocked that there hasn't been some kind of patch to address the PC version. It's been almost three weeks. :(

taggen86

Mar 3, 2018
Now when I have got tid of the 1 sec freezes the game is running really good on my 3080 ti/5900x pc, at least for now. Any potential stutter that is left are barely noticeable due to my high unlocked frame rate and g-sync. Clearly superior to the ps5 and 4 version which I bought but have sent back to the store as it is not needed. Really hopes it stays this way

Last edited:

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Installed the new XBOX app for PC (had to goto MS Store and manually update it) then right clicked on all my installed games, clicked manage and moved the apps to another folder and literally every instance of XVD is now gone and I haven't had a single stutter since or any other instances of XVD occuring in event viewer.

ZeroNoir_

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah no crashes on Manjaro. I think it's definitely not placebo and I'm sticking to Manjaro for completion

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
There was one last week or so. It significantly improved stuttering/performance for many people, but didn't totally eliminate it.

I don't think it did anything at all.

First of all they didn't mention they even tried to improve yet.

And the second I reached a whole new big area it started happening again and then calmed itself down after 2 or 3 hours.

Mind you, the 59/58 fps microstutters are still there and everywhere. I know not everyone can see them but holy shit is it grating if you can.

Qrusher14242

Oct 29, 2017
Installed the new XBOX app for PC (had to goto MS Store and manually update it) then right clicked on all my installed games, clicked manage and moved the apps to another folder and literally every instance of XVD is now gone and I haven't had a single stutter since or any other instances of XVD occuring in event viewer.
Wont the xvd drives still come back? that's how xbox gamepass works right, an image of the game is stored in the MSIXVC folder and then mounted as virtual disk. I've been dealing with stutters in other games related to these virtual disks and it sucks, cause i use games on the Xbox app and hate how it makes them stutter. Usually i try and just disable the xvd instances and sometimes that works.

Yeah no crashes on Manjaro. I think it's definitely not placebo and I'm sticking to Manjaro for completion
Are you dual booting it? or running it in a virtual box? was going to try it out.

Adventure

May 7, 2021
I don't think it did anything at all.

And the second I reached a whole new big area it started happening again and then calmed itself down after 2 or 3 hours.

Mind you, the 59/58 fps microstutters are still there and everywhere. I know not everyone can see them but holy shit is it grating if you can.

They released a patch that had clear and significant performance improvements for many people. It doesn't completely remedy the game's issues, and hopefully they're working on further improvements. It didn't work for you, but let's not pretend that it not working for you specifically means it hasn't been addressed.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
They did, but it was pretty vague and unclear how it affected different setups.

store.steampowered.com

ELDEN RING - Patch Notes Version 1.02.1 - Steam News

Patch version 1.02.1 has been released for PC today.
store.steampowered.com

ELDEN RING - Patch Notes Version 1.02.2 - Steam News

Patch 1.02.2 for PC available now.

• Reduced number of files needed to load when entering a new area.
  • Fixed an issue where the graphics card was not being used, resulting in slow performance.

player23

Mar 12, 2022
I've been using SpecialK in combination with restricting the CPU threads the game uses (Windows Task Manager, Details tab, right-click the eldenring.exe and select 'set affinity' and tick/untick threads then click OK). On my 5800X I've been unticking the last 4 threads (so 12 threads ticked) and could be placebo but it sure seems less stuttery (you can't change CPU affinity in online mode as the process is protected).

You need to redo affinity changes every time you launch btw. After I make the affinity changes and alt-tab back to the game I can no longer run in the game, but just alt-tabbing again to the game fixes it. Ymmv but another thing to try

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Wont the xvd drives still come back? that's how xbox gamepass works right, an image of the game is stored in the MSIXVC folder and then mounted as virtual disk. I've been dealing with stutters in other games related to these virtual disks and it sucks, cause i use games on the Xbox app and hate how it makes them stutter. Usually i try and just disable the xvd instances and sometimes that works.

Not for me they haven't, they are completely separate from the MSIXVC folder now, they are just in a regular windows folder with full permissions and capable of being modded etc like a regular Steam or GOG game.

Since updating and moving each game I haven't had a single disk event in event viewer or a single instance of xvd in device manager.

Qrusher14242

Oct 29, 2017
Not for me they haven't, they are completely separate from the MSIXVC folder now, they are just in a regular windows folder with full permissions and capable of being modded etc like a regular Steam or GOG game.

Since updating and moving each game I haven't had a single disk event in event viewer or a single instance of xvd in device manager.
Well, tried to move a game and get this error now:
7AADwG7.jpg

I really, really hate that app lol

Qrusher14242

Oct 29, 2017
Did you goto the MS Store and update to the latest version of the app? I haven't come across this error yet but I can genuinely say I also really hate the app lol.
It seems like its updated, just says open on the store. Are you on Insider? I turned on the 'advanced management features' and it allowed me to move the game to another folder, but then i got that error after doing that

ChitonIV

Nov 14, 2021
It seems like its updated, just says open on the store. Are you on Insider? I turned on the 'advanced management features' and it allowed me to move the game to another folder, but then i got that error after doing that
If you don't have a data cap which you usually get close to: you are probably better off deleting all of the games in the old format and re-downloading them with the new format.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018

Nope, not on insider. You must be on the correct update if it's allowing you to enable advanced management features and move the game to another folder.

Have you had any luck fixing it? I am aware that certain games don't allow it.

Apparently the games that do have a "moddable" tag on the store page or something of that nature from what I remember.

I haven't had this issue yet so I couldn't give any ideas on how to rectify it, I only had Halo, Forza Horizon 5 and Guardians Of The Galaxy installed when I moved them all over and didn't have any issues with those.

The app has given me countless issues over the years though so I don't doubt it's being a pain in the butt for you.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
yeah, PC players being treated like garbage here. I really want to make PC my main platform but this is making it tough, I have a great rig and it's rough with this game in ways it shouldn't be
I haven't gotten the game because of this. Now it's basically a race between PS5 getting VRR and the PC version getting fixed for me. It seems that the former is happening much sooner at this point. Looking at FS history, I am not optimistic that the issues will be fixed even years down the line.

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't gotten the game because of this. Now it's basically a race between PS5 getting VRR and the PC version getting fixed for me. It seems that the former is happening much sooner at this point. Looking at FS history, I am not optimistic that the issues will be fixed even years down the line.

Ps5 is about a year late on VRR and my money is still on VRR for ps5. I think we need to accept that the pc version is what it is, a turd.