• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
Ive asked before and was told flawlesswidescreen still allows Steam Achievements but I also saw a couple people mention theirs weren't unlocking.

What's the story?

Premium Ghoul

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Any issues with it? I've seen some people say they're getting crashes with it too. I want to use it since I just got that new QD-OLED monitor but not if it has any annoying issues heh.
Honestly I think any issues I've had with this game were just the game's fault and nothing to do with Flawless Widescreen. I've had it crash three times in over 120 hours of play, certain areas just run way worse than others, and the usual shader compilation stutter that everyone has complained about. If you go through the thread all of that stuff is incredibly common on a range of hardware, so I think you'll be alright using the mod.

Burgess_101

Oct 26, 2017
Second temp ban received by my brother yesterday for stupid amount of crashes and disconnects.

You have to leave it on in-game for 10 hours to get unbanned. Except this time it crashed overnight. So won't be able to play until after 6 at least on a Saturday. Thanks From.

Richardi

Oct 28, 2017
Second temp ban received by my brother yesterday for stupid amount of crashes and disconnects.

You have to leave it on in-game for 10 hours to get unbanned. Except this time it crashed overnight. So won't be able to play until after 6 at least on a Saturday. Thanks From.
Banned from disconnections on invasions? Or just regular play?

Ostinatto

Oct 30, 2017
Any PC patch on the horizon?

CRozXbe.png

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
Do people know of any mods that fix the camera? Honestly after 30 hours the jankiness is souring me on having paid 50€ for something done like this. :/

Oct 27, 2017
i mean @_@ but wouldn't it just take longer for load times also if they just did the dungeon you where in and didn't render the ow you wouldn't be able to walk out there without a loading screen...?
warping sure is fast lol its even faster than genshin impact

tbh i wish they would let us have to press X or A soo i could have time to read those sentence tips LOL

Afro

Oct 25, 2017
Does special K reduce the stutters?

Special K actually increased the stutter in my case. Now I'm simply playing with default settings, but forcing the game offline by disabling the EAC. That's the best I can get the game to run after tweaking for hours. The frame pacing itself is perfect. Still stutters, but only that occasional asset loading stutter. Perfectly playable.

I also set the shader cache to unlimited in Nvidia Control Panel. Not sure if that is helping.

Running a 5800x / 3070.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
With this kind of sales, I hope Bamco and From already hired top tier supporting firm to look into the game. Qloc got bought out so is Hexadrive still around? They did some amazing work with okami and zoe2 patch for ps3 back then.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Given how big the game is and how long it took, I think they'll try to focus on making DLC expansions rather than the usual "ELDEN RING 2 !!".

So there is hope they try to improve the performance everywhere if this is to last.

The fact it released right before fiscal year end also tells me the game is absolutely not "finished" on that front.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm more and more convinced that the main problem of this game is RAM, especially in regards to crashing and freezing issues.

I bet people who have 32+ GB have much less problems than people with 16 or even less (I have 16).

The game probably has huge memory leak issues or generally bad optimization for memory use.

Yesterday I even got a bluescreen with a pagefile error which never happened before and since then the game crashes constantly.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
I'm more and more convinced that the main problem of this game is RAM, especially in regards to crashing and freezing issues.

I bet people who have 32+ GB have much less problems than people with 16 or even less (I have 16).

The game probably has huge memory leak issues or generally bad optimization for memory use.

Yesterday I even got a bluescreen with a pagefile error which never happened before and since then the game crashes constantly.

I have 16gb and only experienced minor stutters and 0 crashes

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I think the last year has turned me away from buying DX12-only games at launch. I'll just assume the PC version is broken unless proven otherwise. Was planning to get Ghostwire Tokyo this week (depending on review), but I'll just assume the PC version is broken until proven otherwise.

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
So regarding Flawless Widescreen, how would I go back to playing the game without it if I do want to go online again? Can I just launch from Steam normally without FW running and be ok? I don't want to get banned

Sep 21, 2019
So regarding Flawless Widescreen, how would I go back to playing the game without it if I do want to go online again? Can I just launch from Steam normally without FW running and be ok? I don't want to get banned

Yea I've been going back and forth constantly. If EAC detects anything weird, I was getting messages that there was an error.

But I've been hopping between online and offline pretty consistently.

No problems at all.

Oct 26, 2017
Has anyone gotten a significant increase in crashes lately? I beat the game last weekend with a total of 1 crash over 100~ hours. Decided to hop back in and mop stuff up before NG+ and I've gotten 4 crashes in one day so far. It happened twice while opening the map, once on a fast travel load that never loaded, and it crashed just now while I was trying on different helms on my equip screen.

Not using any mods or cheats. The only things that have changed since last week as far as I can tell was an update for the game that got pushed on steam and a windows 10 security update that installed yesterday.

Wouldn't really affect me if I get hit with one of these temporary bans for too many disconnects from the server since I'm not playing coop, but shitty as hell if I do get one.

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone gotten a significant increase in crashes lately? I beat the game last weekend with a total of 1 crash over 100~ hours. Decided to hop back in and mop stuff up before NG+ and I've gotten 4 crashes in one day so far. It happened twice while opening the map, once on a fast travel load that never loaded, and it crashed just now while I was trying on different helms on my equip screen.

Not using any mods or cheats. The only things that have changed since last week as far as I can tell was an update for the game that got pushed on steam and a windows 10 security update that installed yesterday.

Wouldn't really affect me if I get hit with one of these temporary bans for too many disconnects from the server since I'm not playing coop, but shitty as hell if I do get one.
I've been having a couple since the recent patch, one during loading while fast traveling. One randomly during a boss fight. And multilple where it would consistently crash every time I came near a spot were there was an underground chest in some ruins. Funny thing about the ruins crash, I switched to my Steam Deck and managed to get to the area with the chest, no crashing. When I crashed during the bossfight, again switched to the Steam Deck and no crashing. I don't know if the boss fight crash is specifically an issue with the boss like the ruins crash, but I didn't feel like testing that out.

Freshmaker

Oct 28, 2017
Somehow playing the game caused Windows to forget it was activated. A reset cleared it up, but that was kinda odd.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Is there a way to launch Elden Ring + Flawless Widescreen directly through Steam?

I'm not sure why the .exe needs to be launched manually, isn't Steam launching the very same .exe?

Edit: Also, how exactly are you supposed to disable EAC? Some people say renaming isn't needed but the tool itself says otherwise.

Last edited:

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Why is it that I've played the game for 90 hours yet have never experienced one of those massive stutter/freezes that I see so many videos and gifs displaying? I'm talking about when the game literally hitches for a full second or so, and people say it can get them killed during a fight.

I'm only on a midrange Intel/Ampere laptop (i5-11260H 6c/12t + RTX 3050 Ti), I don't understand how it's possible that I haven't seen one of those significant anomalies even just once when it's reported to be widespread to the PC experience.

Premium Ghoul

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Is there a way to launch Elden Ring + Flawless Widescreen directly through Steam?

I'm not sure why the .exe needs to be launched manually, isn't Steam launching the very same .exe?

Edit: Also, how exactly are you supposed to disable EAC? Some people say renaming isn't needed but the tool itself says otherwise.
1. Rename "start_protected_game.exe" to something else, or delete it.
2. Copy "eldenring.exe".
3. Rename the copied exe to "start_protected_game.exe".

EAC is now disabled.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017

I don't know if its needed or not, but I assume the extra precaution doesn't hurt.

Why is it that I've played the game for 90 hours yet have never experienced one of those massive stutter/freezes that I see so many videos and gifs displaying? I'm talking about when the game literally hitches for a full second or so, and people say it can get them killed during a fight.

I'm only on a midrange Intel/Ampere laptop (i5-11260H 6c/12t + RTX 3050 Ti), I don't understand how it's possible that I haven't seen one of those significant anomalies even just once when it's reported to be widespread to the PC experience.

Luckily, I haven't had one of those either after ~85hours.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Played 6 hours today (around 30 total) and zero crashes. Stutter has been nearly non existent since the first day

ImPacaTheCat

Mar 3, 2020

I had been playing for 40h and not even a small freeze on my end, very few stuttering, but yesterday they began. Freezing for 3 or 4 seconds inside a cave with regular enemies, not even a boss. I'm gonna test it again today

Oct 28, 2017

Yes, I've played 70 hours with no crashes, only long freezes but where the game recovered.

Now I crash all the damn time.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
I still have horrendous stutter
Always twice with about a second delay between the two

I get *stutters* that last a whole second or two basically the game freezing before it picks up, and then usually gets hit with another one shortly after. Couple those big ones with the small ones that are fairly constant.