• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Naru

May 11, 2019
Question about the 60 fps lock and Freesync/Gsync. (I want to stay online so FPS unlocker is out of the question).

When I set the game to fullscreen, it switches my monitor to 60 Hz. Since VSync is enabled I would need to set the FPS to 59 to get the benefit of Freesync. But when I have the game at borderless fullscreen it leaves my monitor at its original frequency and caps the game at 60. Does this automatically enable Freesync in this case?

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Question about the 60 fps lock and Freesync/Gsync. (I want to stay online so FPS unlocker is out of the question).

When I set the game to fullscreen, it switches my monitor to 60 Hz. Since VSync is enabled I would need to set the FPS to 59 to get the benefit of Freesync. But when I have the game at borderless fullscreen it leaves my monitor at its original frequency and caps the game at 60. Does this automatically enable Freesync in this case?
The game behaves weirdly in many ways. With Gsync on a 144hz monitor, the refresh rate is capped at 80hz even though the Steam overlay reports the game running at 60fps. This is when running Borderless. At Fullscreen, the monitor switches from 144hz to 60hz like you say.

So I have doubts Gsync/freesync works properly at all when using Borderless. Then again, VRR is useless when the game is running at a constant 60 (at least in my case) anyway.

For now I guess it's best sticking with Fullscreen, but this causes your monitor to be stuck at 60hz until exiting the game. Makes alt tabbing out and using the mouse feel really weird.

Naru

May 11, 2019
The game behaves weirdly in many ways. With Gsync on a 144hz monitor, the refresh rate is capped at 80hz even though the Steam overlay reports the game running at 60fps. This is when running Borderless. At Fullscreen, the monitor switches from 144hz to 60hz like you say.

So I have doubts Gsync/freesync works properly at all when using Borderless. Then again, VRR is useless when the game is running at a constant 60 (at least in my case) anyway.

For now I guess it's best sticking with Fullscreen, but this causes your monitor to be stuck at 60hz until exiting the game. Makes alt tabbing out and using the mouse feel really weird.
But when I use fullscreen and the monitor switches to 60 Hz, do I still need to cap the fps to 58/59 to get Freesync/Gsync working?

taggen86

Mar 3, 2018
I really hope that we see a large patch for elden ring soon so I can finally start playing the game that I have been looking forward to for so long. This is really a bad time to jump in knowing that any day they will release a large patch that will erase my shader cache...

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
But when I use fullscreen and the monitor switches to 60 Hz, do I still need to cap the fps to 58/59 to get Freesync/Gsync working?
You don't need Gsync or Freesync when you have locked FPS, it's only there to smooth out frequent fps drops. Only reason to cap it below max refresh rate is if you notice input lag.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I don't want to lose all the messages tho :(
I was afraid of that too before I made the switch and now I feel stupid for clinging to them, I know most people will feel different but the game has been way better, more intimate, immersive, misterious and tense for me without all that distracting message pollution all over the place. It's all stupid tired jokes or help that ruins surprises or solutions like as if you have an annoying little cousin that already beat the game, next to you saying dumb stuff or pointing out the way. Even if you ignore them, seeing the message and the bloodstains when walking around is already alerting you to something. I think I'm going to stick to Offline mode going forward even if they start coming out with good PC versions of their games, it now feels like I've been playing them wrong lately just because all this online stuff was so cool and fresh back in the day.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I was afraid of that too before I made the switch and now I feel stupid for clinging to them, I know most people will feel different but the game has been way better, more intimate, immersive, misterious and tense for me without all that distracting message pollution all over the place. It's all stupid tired jokes or help that ruins surprises or solutions like as if you have an annoying little cousin that already beat the game, next to you saying dumb stuff or pointing out the way. Even if you ignore them, seeing the message and the bloodstains when walking around is already alerting you to something. I think I'm going to stick to Offline mode going forward even if they start coming out with good PC versions of their games, it now feels like I've been playing them wrong lately just because all this online stuff was so cool and fresh back in the day.
If one message wouldn't have told me about a particular blood stain and also, unrelated, about a specific wall, I'd never had found any of that even while searching. So no I'll keep loving my messages (and coop helping with bosses for rewards).

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
If one message wouldn't have told me about a particular blood stain and also, unrelated, about a specific wall, I'd never had found any of that even while searching. So no I'll keep loving my messages (and coop helping with bosses for rewards).
I get that, but I don't mind missing out on stuff, it's a really big game and I've made my peace that I'm not going to get and see everything, and then the stuff I do find by myself does feel way more rewarding.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I get that, but I don't mind missing out on stuff, it's a really big game and I've made my peace that I'm not going to get and see everything, and then the stuff I do find by myself does feel way more rewarding.
I can also relate :) At some point in my souls history, I realized for myself that the online stuff is actually a really big part of playing these games (again, for me), so I don't wanna miss it. But I also completely get the "doing it all on my own" perspective, absolutely.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Yep, that`s why I never play those games online on my first playthrough. You`ll basically end up running into spoilers all the time.
I´d imagine it`s even worse in Elden Ring because of its open world.

Naru

May 11, 2019
I can also relate :) At some point in my souls history, I realized for myself that the online stuff is actually a really big part of playing these games (again, for me), so I don't wanna miss it. But I also completely get the "doing it all on my own" perspective, absolutely.
Same, it doesn't feel the same without it.

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah it's an absolute staple. After getting trolled with dozens of fake illusory wall messages, the sense of satisfaction when one turned about to be correct 30 hours in was unparalleled.

empo

Jan 27, 2018
I'm torn because there's like 5% that I wanna read but the rest is just a thousand messages with offer rump on poles
like the glittering footsteps thing
never figured it out and was just running around but then saw a "try stealth attack" message, feels more natural than just googling it

Atom

Jul 25, 2021

I had to disable fullscreen optimizations on the executable to get gsync to work in borderless windowed mode (as well as enable gsync for windowed mode apps).

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
I had to disable fullscreen optimizations on the executable to get gsync to work in borderless windowed mode (as well as enable gsync for windowed mode apps).
You shouldn't have to do that. Is this an actual GSync monitor or a "Gsync Supported" monitor? Also what do you use to make certain GSync is enabled? There is the GSync indicator through the Control Panel you can use, or the monitor OSD if it can show the current refresh rate.

Fullscreen Optimization is something that really shouldn't be disabled on DX12 games, as it makes Borderless Windowed behave exactly like Fullscreen (in theory at least, read here: https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/demystifying-full-screen-optimizations/). Disabling it makes GSync not work unless you enable it for Windowed Mode apps like you've done.

Sep 21, 2019

I agree with this 100%.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Nope. I have been living in a world of stutter recently. I went from Dying Light 2 to Elden Ring to Guardians of the Galaxy, all of which suffer from the dreaded DX12 stutter. I need to play a smooth game next lol.
Ugh. The endless stuttering problems on PC is partly why I am moving more to console again.
Something needs to change on PC, it sucks.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
anyone know if your whole account gets banned if you do bannable things on one character? i kinda want to mess around with some stuff but not if my main will get banned.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Slightly off topic, but is there an option for UK scaling? Or is it based only on your rendering resolution?

FellowTarnished

Alt account
Banned
Mar 8, 2022
I tried DL2 new patch, way smoother now, GOG never have issue for me with everything maxed out and RT on.

The DL2 patch has definitely helped, it's not perfect but it's close now. I wish I had waited to play this version but I've already long finished it, at least the future DLC will be more enjoyable to play.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I thought DX12 was going to be so much better because it took work off on Nvidia/AMD and put more power in the developers hands.

I'm starting to think that was a mistake. It's too bad that so many games shifted to DX12 and left behind DX11. Vulkan would be great, but it's pretty rare for whatever reason.

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
I thought DX12 was going to be so much better because it took work off on Nvidia/AMD and put more power in the developers hands.

I'm starting to think that was a mistake. It's too bad that so many games shifted to DX12 and left behind DX11. Vulkan would be great, but it's pretty rare for whatever reason.
I'm shocked the GPU driver developers have a better understanding of their hardware and APIs. 😉

Tya

Oct 30, 2017

I always playoff offline the first time through. The joke messages don't bother me, but I don't want messages and bloodstains all over the place, and I don't want cool things spoiled either.

gifyku

Aug 17, 2020
So what is Valve doing in SteamOS (downloading shaders etc) that makes this game smoother on proton than on native Windows?

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
So assuming that FromSoft doesn't get their act together, would it not be possible for a third party fix to just cache the shaders like Valve is doing on the Steam Deck without having to muck around with the executable so we could still pass the EAC checks?

hachikoma

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So assuming that FromSoft doesn't get their act together, would it not be possible for a third party fix to just cache the shaders like Valve is doing on the Steam Deck without having to muck around with the executable so we could still pass the EAC checks?
as i understand it it only works on the steamdeck because it's set hardware. compiled shaders are specific to hardware, drivers, and game version, so it's not a one-size-fits-all thing on PC

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
as i understand it it only works on the steamdeck because it's set hardware. compiled shaders are specific to hardware, drivers, and game version, so it's not a one-size-fits-all thing on PC

No, but it also works on Windows, as long as the game is running on Vulkan as far as I understand. Valve has this issue fixed when the right tools are used on Windows too.

Is there any way to play Elden Ring on PC without all the shader loading stutters yet?

Funny enough, you could "just" play the game on Linux. It seems to run better there - but that comes with setting up a separate OS if you're not already on it.

Janus

Oct 18, 2020
Looks like no patch for this week :(

Was hopeful since they updated some depots yesterday on SteamDB.

Janus

Oct 18, 2020
Are patches never released on weekends? So a new patch on monday at the earliest?

Not sure. The first patch was released on a Saturday and the "hotfix" for some Steam issues on Saturday as well. Maybe we'll get something tomorrow.

My general assumptions for releases/patches is that the weekend is a no-go. Who knows what other issues can creep up when releasing something. Wouldn't want to risk that on a weekend :D

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Well, the user wants to quit the game. Mission accomplished, right?

While we're on the topic, though, I would like to see them add a direct "Quit to Desktop" option from inside the game. I hate just being kicked back to the menu, just to have to go back into the menu, wait for it to connect and all that jazz, before finally exiting the game. This has always been a nitpick of mine with From's games.

Dark Souls II allowed for just that using Alt+F4. No idea why that never returned as a feature in their subsequent PC ports.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I beat the game and it sucks Steam never recognized my activity after I started playing offline with mods. My achievements, hours played etc.

Good thing I don't care about it that much.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Well, the user wants to quit the game. Mission accomplished, right?

While we're on the topic, though, I would like to see them add a direct "Quit to Desktop" option from inside the game. I hate just being kicked back to the menu, just to have to go back into the menu, wait for it to connect and all that jazz, before finally exiting the game. This has always been a nitpick of mine with From's games.
Do what I do: Quit to main menu for the save, then Alt+F4 as soon as the Bandai Namco splash screen begins to appear. Saves a ton of times.

I felt the same way, but quite frankly, the messages this time around are really souring my experience.

I enter a cave with a woman on her knees with both hands nailed into a wall. She speaks out in agony and screams in pain about the people who hurt her.

The closest message is a message about using her mouth for a hole with a thrust motion phantom that plays in perpetuity.

Another nearby message is the classic "try finger, but hole."

A third measage states, "opportunity ahead," which I assume is also about rape.

And a fourth and final message in the room is another overt rape joke.

I'm now playing offline and loving it. Fuck these rape jokes and stupid, degrading humor bullshit. It just isn't funny. It's savage.

Unlike the other Souls games, this world feels so alive, and I don't feel the need to see white phantoms, blood stains, and messages everywhere for the world to have more "life." Especially if the added flair consists of rape jokes, toilet humor, and bullshit.

I do miss helping people defeat bosses, but fuck it.

I love my no-compass mod as well as unlocking the framerate and extending the LODs.

Yeah the trolling is so stupid and juvenile at best, couldn't stand it for long.

Kiyoshi

Apr 4, 2018
Do achievements work if you load the game from Special K's launcher? I have the game in offline mode.