• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I've been having a pretty close to flawless experience, just by using the FPS Unlocker tool. Barely a stutter and for some weird reason my framerate is higher with it enabled than not.

If I launch the game without it, instant stuttering in the same spot I just had smooth gameplay. Close, reenable, launch, all good.

Outdoors the game runs between 55-65fps at 1080p with a mix of settings, not a problem since my laptop has an adaptive sync display. Some indoors spaces I get up to the mid-90s of fps.

I5-11260H
RTX 3050 Ti
16GB RAM

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
What's the best way of doing that taking into account a gysnc comptible montior? RTSS lock @ 40-45fps?
In game vsync vs. NVIDIA Control Panel vsync?

If you have a GSync monitor, your NVCP vsync should always be set to on. Note that this setting only applies when your framerate goes beyond the refresh rate of your monitor, so it will have no impact in a game like Elden Ring.

RTSS for most games should be set to 3 below your monitor refresh rate. However, for Elden Ring, set it 1-2 below 60fps. I set it to 59 and it seems fine. The main reason we're doing it here is because Elden Ring's framerate limiter has framepacing issues, and RTSS lock at just below the game's 60fps will ensure that RTSS is now in control of frame pacing.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Reposting this for the new page for visibility. I would love if we could iron things out and get it working as well as possible for most. Once you get it running well, PC is hands down the best place to play at the moment.

Here are all the things that I've done and the game runs nearly flawlessly now, and without SpecialK so I can play online. Note that you need a GSync monitor to address the 60fps framepacing issues. If you don't have a GSync display, then SpecialK is needed for frame pacing issues so that the in-game framerate limiter can be circumvented. I cannot say which of these is necessary, as they may all have some impact, or may be purely placebo. But all together, the game is almost flawless on my 5900X, 2070 Super.

1) Turn off CPU Virtualization in the BIOS if it's on.
2) Disable Steam Overlay for Elden Ring
3) Disable Steam Input for Elden Ring
4) Shader Cache to Unlimited for NVidia
5) Prefer Maximum Performance for NVidia
6) Disable Microsoft Device Association Root Enumerator
7) Uninstall all GamePass games (I think this may be the most important thing)
8) Cap FPS to 59fps with RTSS (this will eliminate frame pacing issues with a GSync monitor)

La Fawn Duh

Apr 3, 2018
Reposting this for the new page for visibility. I would love if we could iron things out and get it working as well as possible for most. Once you get it running well, PC is hands down the best place to play at the moment.

Here are all the things that I've done and the game runs nearly flawlessly now, and without SpecialK so I can play online. Note that you need a GSync monitor to address the 60fps framepacing issues. If you don't have a GSync display, then SpecialK is needed for frame pacing issues so that the in-game framerate limiter can be circumvented. I cannot say which of these is necessary, as they may all have some impact, or may be purely placebo. But all together, the game is almost flawless on my 5900X, 2070 Super.

8) Cap FPS to 59fps with RTSS (this will eliminate frame pacing issues with a GSync monitor)

What about refresh rate? I heard it's a locked 60Hz in Fullscreen. Could this lead to problems with a 144Hz Display i own with gsync?

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
What about refresh rate? I heard it's a locked 60Hz in Fullscreen. Could this lead to problems with a 144Hz Display i own with gsync?
The game is locked to 60fps but your monitor will still be set to it's max refresh. That's not a problem with GSync.

By utilizing RTSS's framerate limit, you'll be locking the game to 59fps.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Why is it important to uninstall Game Pass games? Haven't heard about that one before - is it because of a specific issue or is it a thing you should do in general for Elden Ring?

sugarmonkey

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guys I have a $50 credit in the Microsoft Store. I have a Series X, and a LG CX. But I also have a 3080ti, 64 gig ram, i7 11700KF pc that could run the game on a Gsync 1440p monitor or the CX. I'd rather have it on Steam which is where I spend most of my gaming time, but with so much weirdness going on with the pc version (and the chance of it never being fully fixed), what do you all recommend?

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
SpecialK has a launcher. But a few nights ago, I had trouble getting it to work reliably with ER. As it didn't seem to be hooking the game very well, after EAC did its check. It may be fixed now. Kaldaien releases nightly builds.

So I just install it manually.

download the latest nightly build on their discord:

Discord - A New Way to Chat with Friends & Communities

Discord is the easiest way to communicate over voice, video, and text. Chat, hang out, and stay close with your friends and communities.

It will contain 2 files. SpecialK32.dll and SpecialK64.dll.

Rename SpecialK32.dll to d3d9.dll

Rename SpecialK64.dll to dxgi.dll

place them in the same folder as eldenring.exe

make sure that eldenring is not set to run as an administrator

when the game launches, you will see a very obvious on screen display for specialk

switch the game to borderless windowed mode. load a save. close the game.

a file called dxgi.ini should now be in the folder with eldenring.exe

open dxgi.ini with notepad

look for GameOutput and change it to say GameOutput=false. This will activate SpecialK's custom threading.

you have to run the game in borderless windowed mode to get all the tricks from specialk. open the on screen menu and unlock the framerate. you can also try SK's custom HDR if you want.

Just wanted to add that this specific part is not happening in the Elden Ring folder for me but here: Documents\My Mods\SpecialK\Profiles\ELDEN RING\SpecialK.ini

Edit: Also I just now set it up and I'm not sure if it really changed anything

20220306172901_1f4j8y.jpg

With the command set to "false"

With the command set to "true"

20220306174549_18nko5.jpg

Also - I'm a bit weirded out by the fact that by bios and cpu-z my cores should run at 4,3 Ghz atm but here it shows 3.8

Last edited:

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
ok that makes sense. i've honestly avoided using them. feels like it would be easy mode. i feel the same way sometimes about shooting bolts or arrows into enemies from far away. i really don't know why in these games that are widely considered some of the hardest modern games, i create my own little rules about how i should play to make it even harder LOL
Yesterday, after being level 50 with 30 hours of playing I finally decided to go to the Stormveil Castle, and although I had no issues dealing with Margit, Grafted Scion always killed me when I had taken half of his health, so I ended up just pulling my Horn bow and Serpent Arrows, hoping to see if they would do some damage to him and his health bar just melted away.

Last edited:

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Guys I have a $50 credit in the Microsoft Store. I have a Series X, and a LG CX. But I also have a 3080ti, 64 gig ram, i7 11700KF pc that could run the game on a Gsync 1440p monitor or the CX. I'd rather have it on Steam which is where I spend most of my gaming time, but with so much weirdness going on with the pc version (and the chance of it never being fully fixed), what do you all recommend?
Why not buy on Steam, play for 2h and see how it runs? If it's unacceptable, just refund it. But just FYI, would you rather have an unstable 60fps at a lower resolution (where it struggles to keep up at 60), or an occasional stutter that most likely won't get fixed? It really depends on your tolerance to those type of things.

sugarmonkey

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why not buy on Steam, play for 2h and see how it runs? If it's unacceptable, just refund it. But just FYI, would you rather have an unstable 60fps at a lower resolution (where it struggles to keep up at 60), or an occasional stutter that most likely won't get fixed? It really depends on your tolerance to those type of things.

Definitely an occasional stutter for better visual quality at 60 fps. It seems like you are implying the stutter issue is blown out of proportion.

dadoes

Feb 15, 2018
I honestly don't think these tweaks are necessary anymore.

I was busy with forbidden West and didn't install the game until Friday, March 4th. Game runs smooth straight out of the box on a SSD.

I don't have gamepass so maybe that could be an issue though.

Oct 28, 2017
Yesterday, after being level 50 with 30 hours of playing I finally decided to go to the Stormveil Castle, and although I had no issues dealing with Margit, Grafted Scion always killed me when I had taken half of his health, so I ended up just pulling my Horn bow and poison arrows, hoping to see if they would do some damage to him and his health bar just melted away.

Cheater! /s

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Definitely an occasional stutter for better visual quality at 60 fps. It seems like you are implying the stutter issue is blown out of proportion.
I would say it's really more of a luck thing, I haven't had huge problems, but I've seen some people not being able to play the game because of how bad it is, as said, might give it a try through steam directly, and if it's acceptable and working well enough, buy it on GMG and refund on steam :D

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Why is it important to uninstall Game Pass games? Haven't heard about that one before - is it because of a specific issue or is it a thing you should do in general for Elden Ring?
The leading theory is that GamePass games are mounted as virtual drives. Elden Ring has long pauses when a device is mounted, and GamePass can periodically mount and unmount the games.

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

I have done 4, 5, 6 and 7 (well I dont have any gamepass games install in the first place). In addition I set elden ring to high performance in the Graphics settings and have a gsnyc monitor. The game runs pretty well now. I dont get any more stuttering however I still feel like the game isnt take full use of my 3080 Ti.

Tankshell

Nov 1, 2017
Is the Elden Ring game ready driver needed for best performance? Does it actually make any difference to the game vs the previous gr driver? I had issues with other games and constant black screen flickering after installing it so rolled back… but now I want to play ER.

virtua_44

Jan 16, 2019
I have i5 12400F, 16gb ram, and a 1080. Im new to PCs but since people with better specs are having trouble, I assume I should just stick to console?

The only alternative for me would be playing on a PS4 slim

dadoes

Feb 15, 2018
I have i5 12400F, 16gb ram, and a 1080. Im new to PCs but since people with better specs are having trouble, I assume I should just stick to console?

The latest patches solved some performance issues. If you buy it on steam you can try it out for 2 hours and still get a refund is performance is still bad for you.

I'm pretty happy w the performance on my PC. But i have a pretty powerful machine w a 3080 and i9-10850k.

scaryrobots

Oct 27, 2017
Doing Robot things

Don't do any of this stuff. It will not affect the performance.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
Whats odd is that the FPS unlocker seems to fix that issue for me entirely. So if someone from the community can fix it, FromSoft should be able to as well. Atleast I hope so

You would think. But why spend time effort and money to fix it yourself when the community will spend time effort and money to fix it for you.

ditusjack

Oct 26, 2017
Ended up locking my frame rate to 40 using RSTSS so i can also play online.
Playing at 2560x1440 on maximum quality, could drop some things down for more performance but i enjoying too much the graphical quality and the sheer atmosphere of the game, i know that it isn't the best technically out there but this is the open world that most impressed me, really brings you in and immerse you on it.
And with the patches+frame rate lock i'm getting a smooth experience, the exception are the loading crossing lines like the Stormhill shack.

image.png

Last edited:

Freshmaker

Oct 28, 2017
Tried locking my fps to 58 via NVIDIA control panel. Did nothing vs the pauseskip issue.

Also got booted out of a boss fight for "inappropriate activity". Don't know what else could've contributed to that.

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Best thing you can do is buy it on steam and reached the open world area with your horse imo. If the game doesn't run well, you can refund it within 2 hours. YMMV

ChitonIV

Nov 14, 2021
What's the best way of doing that taking into account a gysnc comptible montior? RTSS lock @ 40-45fps?
In game vsync vs. NVIDIA Control Panel vsync?
If you simply want a framerate lock: use the Nvidia control panel. RTSS has some other features, but if you aren't using them, there is no reason to run it. *especially for a game as sensitive and problematic as Elden Ring.

They have been compared and RTSS is not better or worse. But it does require that you run an additional app which is hooking your game.

Nvidia and Blur busters both recommend using Nvidia control panel VSync, along with Gsync. Vsync keeps the framerate from exceeding you refresh rate. And Nvidia's Vsync has some code which attempts to smooth out frame delivery.
Just wanted to add that this specific part is not happening in the Elden Ring folder for me but here: Documents\My Mods\SpecialK\Profiles\ELDEN RING\SpecialK.ini
That's because you are using the global launcher/injector. Manual install goes directly into ER's folder.

Edit: Also I just now set it up and I'm not sure if it really changed anything
I tried to mention earlier that its not a huge change. But, it looks to be working. Basically, the game's default behavior is to put nearly all of the EZ threads onto the first two cores. SpecialK's mod spreads some of them off to other cores. For me, it helped lessen the frametime spike for some of the times when the game does that. But not always (the infamous stairs at the beginning of the game and the little hallway afteward, are noticeably smoother for me). SK's says its experimental and didn't promise tangible gains.

Also - I'm a bit weirded out by the fact that by bios and cpu-z my cores should run at 4,3 Ghz atm but here it shows 3.8
It seems that SK reports the 'base' clock spec for CPUs. Not the current Turbo/boost speed.

Last edited:

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017

PC. My last five hours out of the 20 I have played total have been perfect. Seriously not a single issue. Also team LG

Namtox

Nov 3, 2017
My buddy loses his mic input every 5-10 minutes while playing this game, and has to leave and restart Discord to fix it every time. Has anybody heard of this problem, it's only happening to him in this game.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
My buddy loses his mic input every 5-10 minutes while playing this game, and has to leave and restart Discord to fix it every time. Has anybody heard of this problem, it's only happening to him in this game.

I'm having mic problems all the time while playing this game. NVIDIA broadcast is a resource hog that will make your voice sound like a robot. Without it I still have problems if the game can't keep up though. Very annoying as I love to hang out with some friends who also play the game currently and discuss while playing!

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm waiting for the first major patch (1.1) to drop before starting this on PC...hopefully it gets released this week...

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Try limiting your FPS to 59 with RTSS if you have a Gsync monitor.
I don't have a 'true' G-Sync monitor, but mine does have FreeSync support so I can technically enable G-Sync in it. Never bothered with it because I thought the results wouldn't be particularly good and it's only a 60hz screen anyway so whatever.

But I decided to enable it today to see if it could help with Elden Ring's framepacing and wow. This + the 59fps cap on RTSS improved my experience dramatically. Still not 100% perfect, but after a few hours of gameplay earlier today, I can definitely say this is helped a lot. I'm pretty satisfied with the performance now.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have a 'true' G-Sync monitor, but mine does have FreeSync support so I can technically enable G-Sync in it. Never bothered with it because I thought the results wouldn't be particularly good and it's only a 60hz screen anyway so whatever.

But I decided to enable it today to see if it could help with Elden Ring's framepacing and wow. This + the 59fps cap on RTSS improved my experience dramatically. Still not 100% perfect, but after a few hours of gameplay earlier today, I can definitely say this is helped a lot. I'm pretty satisfied with the performance now.

VRR by any name has been one of the best upgrades of the last decade.

TrueHero

Feb 24, 2018
Goddamn has anyone else had crazy persistent stutters in that sewer area under the capital its absolutely ridiculous

Rumi

Oct 26, 2017
I'll be jumping in on my 6700xt after work tonight. I tried the ps5 version initially and It was a mess even in framerate mode. I hope I'll be able to fair a bit better on pc. I'm already annoyed that I have to play in offline mode just to enable UW and fov for the fear of eac though.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017

Glad it helped! It's an absolute gamechanger.

Seems a lot of us were able to mitigate the larger issues. What's left (minor loading stutter, occasional dips < 60fps) is far and away better than what the console versions offer at this point, IMO. Given your specs, I think at least trying out the PC version is a no-brainer. Buy it on Steam, take your 2 hours to get it working as best you can, and if it's not acceptable you can always request a refund.

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017

What is capping to 59 FPS suppose to do?

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany

I did 4 to 8, while having Steam Overlay turned off anyway, and can't really say I'm seeing much of a difference. I'm 80ish percent sure this might mostly be placebo, due to the simple fact that once an area has been played in, it's performance is usually pretty good in general. (Except for the 59fps thing, since I don't have GSync anyway).

What is capping to 59 FPS suppose to do?
Apparently keeping the game FPS under 60, which is when From's frame pacing solution kicks in. Only seems to work on Freesync/GSync though and doesn't seem to make a difference on non-Gsync monitors, so I kinda doubt it really does much at this point, since technically it should then also do the same on regular monitors.

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently keeping the game FPS under 60, which is when From's frame pacing solution kicks in. Only seems to work on Freesync/GSync though and doesn't seem to make a difference on non-Gsync monitors, so I kinda doubt it really does much at this point, since technically it should then also do the same on regular monitors.

I have one of those. Guess I'll give it a shot.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What is disabling Steam overlay supposed to do? Didn't play much, but simply capping my framerate at 59fps with Nvidia control panel seemed to solve my performance issues in the sewer under the capital.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
should be capping under refresh with gsync for every game anyways

empo

Jan 27, 2018
Has anyone gotten these shadows that like scroll and flicker as you move the camera? I've only seen it on small vegetation or indoors usually around windows
Tried all the shadow/ssao settings but nothing got rid of it

DHR54

Oh well.
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Has anyone gotten these shadows that like scroll and flicker as you move the camera? I've only seen it on small vegetation or indoors usually around windows
Tried all the shadow/ssao settings but nothing got rid of it

What setting are you using for shadows. Anything other than maximum seems to suffer from being just low res and jaggy looking.

empo

Jan 27, 2018
What setting are you using for shadows. Anything other than maximum seems to suffer from being just low res and jaggy looking.
Normally on maximum yeah, last time I saw it I toggled through them all so wondering if these instances are just busted
Could do a clip later when not on my phone

nath999

May 7, 2018
Killing Tree Sentinel will solve all the performance issues. I am not 60 hours in and the game runs great once I got through that.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone else getting consistent crashes on a certain boss? It will crash without fail eventually, happening a few seconds after entering the fog gate. Usually it's on the 5th attempt of my session, sometimes on the 2nd/3rd attempt, and sometimes even on the very first try.

It's the Godskin Apostle, for reference.