• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
I went and checked the worst performing areas for me -- the staircase leading to limgrave and the graveyard area right after godrick. And both areas are hugely improved.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I went and checked the worst performing areas for me -- the staircase leading to limgrave and the graveyard area right after godrick. And both areas are hugely improved.
The only way to really tell is from a fresh install with the new patch and load the save. the game will perform better on subsequent trips but the initial one is where a lot of issues might happen.

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
do achievements work for people using fpsunlocker? achievements are not guaranteed to work under specialk

Cats

Oct 27, 2017

this actually fixed the big freezing and stuttering problem for me. I had played dark souls 3 the day before a Elden Ring came out and was getting the same drops so this fix makes makes sense.
Yeah, this is what I figured, since it's pretty clear changing usb devices breaks the game for like 10-15 seconds for me. I don't feel like unplugging all my usb devices for this game though, that's just annoying. They really need to update their engine so it stops doing this behavior, it's ridiculous. I'd literally rather just have a "detect controller" button in the settings if something happens and it turns off than the game freezing, disconnecting me from online, every time a device (even virtual) changes.

Last edited:

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Will the FPS unlock/Frametime adjustment as part of Flawless Widescreen also help with the stuttering? I'm still finishing HFW so I haven't started Elden Ring yet. I don't think From will ever patch in ultrawidescreen support so I am likely stuck using Flawless Widescreen anyway and playing offline.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I was getting consistent 60FPS in the previous patch (on high setting) with the usual stutters that most people experiencing at new zones/camera panning but today I see the game patched and when I load up the game I am getting like sub 20FPS. It seems the patch stated that the game now uses the GPU more often but it seems like it's having the opposite effect for me.

Anyway to easily fix this? This is really problematic and I am assuming it's just an easy fix since my game was fine before (well more playable than this which is virtually unplayable now and my PC is able to handle games much higher spec than this).

Menome

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Whilst I'm sticking with PS4->PS5 for the time being, my fiancée is going to give it a go using the PC code I preordered.

She will be wanting online play, so just could do with some "recommended" specs for an AMD 5800 coupled with a Geforce 1070. (She can handle framerate variance better than I can, and has been fine with Cyberpunk 2077 recently running less than perfectly.)

teh_J0kerer

Jan 3, 2018
Realizing now a flaw in my plan, where I returned the game to wait for a patch. If I buy it again to check patch performance, will I still be able to get a refund if it still doesn't perform well? Guess I should have at least waited the two weeks..

Burgess_101

Oct 26, 2017
Patch definitely seems to have removed much of the stutter for me. Basically none during my last couple of hours. Though just had a crash.

Dreenk

Oct 27, 2017
The stuttering has been an issue the entire time for me, although infinite shader cache and disabling Steam overlay do seem to help. I started getting crashes today though, almost reproducable - four times in a row at this spot in Stormveil Castle (screengrab from an actual crash):

MTE8pvu.jpeg

No useful info in Event Viewer, just hex codes. Bleh.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Thought I was done with stutters but no. I seem to get it where it almost freezes and then speeds up quickly to get back to where it was, and seems to mostly happen when encountering new bosses, entering new areas, attacking new things, which is right where you'd want them to happen..

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
I was stuttering the moment the load screen ended and brought me to the gameplay screen.

Are there patch notes? I doubt the patch did anything for performance.

Seemed like a really small download anyway. Like 25MB?

Last edited:

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Performance seems the same for me after the new patch. It would be nice if they released patch notes instead of having everyone running around guessing what it did.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
The stuttering has been an issue the entire time for me, although infinite shader cache and disabling Steam overlay do seem to help. I started getting crashes today though, almost reproducable - four times in a row at this spot in Stormveil Castle (screengrab from an actual crash):

No useful info in Event Viewer, just hex codes. Bleh.

There's a spot at the beginning of the game in the tutorial cave, when you head up the ramp tunnel back to the main area with the big door that almost freezes completely - every single time. Any time I make a new character and go round that way, the same exact freeze happens. I've seen it in the review videos as well. I'm assuming its trying to procedurally load the world as you move toward the door, but for whatever reason it hangs.

I don't know much about programming but I would think the stuttering is some kind of hang-up with the loading and unloading of game world data as you move toward and away stuff, as well as the camera view drawing stuff when you turn around alot, like when riding a horse and looking around or during boss battles. The faster you move into and out of a viewing area or game region, the more stuttering happens. But not really sure what it is.

Some people say increasing shader cache helps, which makes me think the more stuff you have in the cache that's similar to where you currently are, the less stuttering there is. But if you're constantly moving into new area, the cache has to be overwritten to store the new stuff as well.

Last edited:

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
The crashes have definitely increased with the latest patch. I have a suspicion it has to do with the online/network, because whenever I connect to another player as a helper, the game freezes for a few moments, and also some times after disconnecting randomly it crashes.

Or it could all be random, who knows.

Aldo

Mar 19, 2019
Well, the new patch just broke the game for me. Crashes every single time I try to load a save. Even tried to re-download it, no luck.

Bungie

Oct 31, 2017
I had about 4-5 hard crashes since the last patch (the one before today's). I really hope they put the effort in to sort out performance, as outside of the technical issues it's easily one of the best games ever made

OrangePulp

Jul 21, 2020
I have been using this since Saturday and it works great. I am fine with using a mod/fix if I have to but hopefully we get a solution that plays nice with EAC at some point.

Anyone heard about someone out there working on FOV/FPS mods that work online?

Can almost guarantee that this will never be a thing. The things Easy Anti-Cheat are preventing to stop cheats and hacks, are the same things modders are using to unlock framerate and fov and such. And while no anti-cheat is insurmountable, I can't imagine any modders going through all the trouble trying to circumvent EAC just so people can play multiplayer at 90fps or in 21:9. The only real hope is that From implements this themselves, but that seems... unlikely, given their history and the current status of the game.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Hum ...

locking game at 30 (from 60) results in almost 0 stutter and 0 frame drops.

Uncapping framerate past 60 and relocking it at 60 (with rtss) results in almost 0 stutter and 0 frame drops. (assuming you could push beyond with your hardware)

I have no idea what the fuck is wrong with their engine.

Looks like the game constantly runs into hiccups and depending on your hardware (regardless of power) it's going to randomly catch up faster or slower. And it drops from the max framerate allowed if the engine/pc can't catch up fast enough.

DasFool

Oct 25, 2017
Crashed a good 5-6 times today after the patch when it was perfectly fine stability wise before. This includes:
- Several lockups when the game reloaded after a death
- Two CTD after the game's anti-cheat triggered for no apparent reason - in these cases, I was wandering around Limgrave and speaking to an NPC, respectfully. No other software open besides Discord and Firefox.

Really killing my motivation to continue in this game.

Oct 27, 2017
New patch broke Special K for me, crashing within minutes. Without it, the game performs so much worse. Fullscreen is an unplayable, stuttery mess. To get a solid FPS I need to go down to 900p borderless fullscreen without Special K on my GTX 970.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
I tried flawless wide-screen mod today, while extra fov is nice but the game stutter like crazy. Delete it and its back to an almost flawless exp. Beside the Tree Sentinel the game has been pretty good with VRR on my 3080. Performance should be a lot better but not the mess that I see most people are complaining about. If you use the FOV mods and such they may be the culprit. Game wasnt design with those in mind.

Sep 21, 2019
New patch broke Special K for me, crashing within minutes. Without it, the game performs so much worse. Fullscreen is an unplayable, stuttery mess. To get a solid FPS I need to go down to 900p borderless fullscreen without Special K on my GTX 970.

Make sure you download their latest version on their Discord under nightly installers. They have new dll files you just need to download and replace in the special k install directory:

C-> users -> your name -> my documents -> my mods -> special k

The update is working fine with the patch for me.

Last edited:

PowerK

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Have you gotten to the first boss when you see when you enter the open world?

I have minimal stutters outside of loading large new areas but that boss fight was a laggy mess.
Yes. I'm in open world. My frametime graph stayed flat stable during the entire play-through of the first two hours. Perhaps, stuttering will occur later in other areas. But so far, so good. Framerate and frametime is stable here so far.

Oct 25, 2017
They did tell you:

"Fixed other bugs."

I have to admit I did burst out laughing when I read that as the 3rd bullet point.
Having worked for a software development company, this is not uncommon and it makes sense why. You have your big ticket items and then a bunch of little stuff. Practically speaking, no one wants to list out the smaller stuff and there's an assumption that no one cares to read it either. But you do want to ACKNOWLEDGE that you did more. Thus: "fixed other bugs"

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
Finally got to play with the new patch today for a little bit (2070 Super/i7-10700K). The stuttering is definitely more frequent now than it was previously, but that might be due to the patch wiping out the shader cache. I need to play some more tomorrow and see if the stuttering improves as I play. However, I tested a previously problematic area (shack in Stormhill where you first find Roderika) and the drops weren't nearly as bad as before. I previously got to the low 40's there (I think once it even got down to the high 30's one time), but now the lowest drop I saw was to 49, so there's that, at least.

Hopefully a more substantial fix is in the works though, because the game definitely needs it.

Zexen

Oct 27, 2017
Yesterday's patch did some improvements, the game doesn't speeds up anymore after a freeze and GPU usage seems to stay higher overall, no more hanging around the 30/40 fps with low usage for some times then ramping back up.

Freezes and stutters still occurs as they always did tho.

In comparison to launch day, at the same spot

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
Well, accidentally nuking my OS plus the new patch definitely makes things better for me, as the graphics card no longer crashes, although its fan goes to the max when playing this game. Although the stutters were more present at least at the beginning, I guess the game needs to cache those shaders again. Well, tomorrow I will give the Special K another try, and see if with it things improve even more for me.

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
I am currently 50 hours into the PC version and I have to say, it's been absolutely rock solid for me 99% of the time. I experience some stuttering every now and then (I had a brief hick-up this morning for instance), but overall I am super happy that I opted for the PC version over the PS5. I'm running the game in offline mode on a 3080 + AMD 5800x. Hopefully they continue to work on it so that performance improves for everyone else.

I also hope they will listen to the fans and release actual ultra wide support down the line. The game has been really weird in that regard. It starts of in ultrawide, without black bars, and then 30 seconds later it briefly goes to a black screen and pops back up with black bars on the side.

Naru

May 11, 2019
I do have more stutters today for whatever reason. It's not like the 1 second freezes I had before but like the game plays in slo-mo. Very annoying.

Condwiramurs

Nov 10, 2020
I mentioned it before but special k's latent sync is far superior in most cases to just capping fps with rtss if you are willing to play offline. Just grab the latest nightly build from discord and give it a try.
I've been using scanline sync for 3 years now and it's perfect for the game i need it the most in (bf v) but i always fight it's limitations in other games.
I never heard of this, sounds amazing i need to check it out, thx