• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I decided to lock the game at 30fps with perfect frame pacing with rtss and I think I prefer that over whatever is going on at 60 right now.

Because it basically means I have 0 frame drops and it's just a steady experience. And got rid of the bloodborne messy frametime that made it nauseous.

So I think I'm gonna keep it until they improve performance and add dlss.

Also get to enjoy the game fully maxed out in 4k while being smooth so it looks amazing.

latest patch no stuttering so far...3070 + Ryzen 3600

The patch did nothing for that as far as I know.

You probably just have more shaders compiled.

Bloodstains are fixed tho.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
Bloodstains were fixed as of a day or so ago for me, after they did the server maintenance.

This new patch certainly appears to have improved the stuttering, though it was never shockingly bad to begin with for me (3070, 5800x at 1440p/max).

For people who have trouble starting the game after the patch: There are reports on the steam discussion forum that this can be fixed if you verify the file integrity.

MekaDragon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok... So after this patch the game rolled back my save game roughly by 5 hours. Steam says I've played 16 hours and the save game now reports 10 hours.

More weird yet: it rolled me back the last TWI sessions I had, not to the last one. That means I played yesterday loading without problem the save but now I'm loading in the very same spot than the day before yesterday.

Every save has been overwritten, even in Steam Cloud.

Fuck this game so much.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
Ok... So after this patch the game rolled back my save game roughly by 5 hours. Steam says I've played 16 hours and the save game now reports 10 hours.

More weird yet: it rolled me back the last TWI sessions I had, not to the last one. That means I played yesterday loading without problem the save but now I'm loading in the very same spot than the day before yesterday.

Every save has been overwritten, even in Steam Cloud.

Fuck this game so much.
Absolutely brutal, that really sucks to hear. I had the same thing happen to me with Halo Infinite a few months ago and it really sucked.

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
Well... new patch didn't break anything for me.

Performance seems the same. I played for about 2 hours and did not see the odd freezing/catch-up stutter...

Gray

Oct 25, 2017
Performance is worse for me but the stutters seem to have gone. I do get crashes now though - twice in about as many hours of play - and I'm not sure which is worse. Hopefully they'll fix those as well.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
After the new patch, I tried it with no mods or tweaks and.....it seems largely the same. Lots of stutters.

However, that staircase by the tree near the beginning no longer results in crippling pauses for me. The tree sentinel caused some stutters, but not pauses and lurching.

After that, I quit the game and tried this registry hack for AMD's Shader cache:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0001\UMD

With the UMD folder highlighted, look for "ShaderCache".

open it and I changed it to "32 00".

31 00 = Amd Optimized
30 00= Off
32 00= Shader Cache on

And wow, large differnce. There are still some small stutters here and there. But there aren't super frequent stutters or stutters upon stutters, so far.

I returned to the same registry location, I saw a setting for antistutter. I changed it to 32 00. I thiiiiiink it may have helped even a little bit more.

Either way, this is way playable now. But we'll how it goes when I fight a boss or two.

bloodstains are also working now

*P.S. the location of UMD may be slightly different, if you have a different GPU than I do. I have an RX 6600 XT. I got that registry location from a reddit post. And they said "UMD" is in a folder called "0000". But I found it in "0001".

Do you know if there is something similar for Nvidia cards? Or was the shader cache that much more of a problem on Nvidia cards?

PatShallBe

Oct 28, 2017
The new Patch didn't fix the weird Slowdown-Stutters for me. Try for yourself: go to the first Grace in the Game (where the Tutorial Dungeon is) and go down the Stairs into the Cave. Now go the Stairs back up (back to the Grace): on these Stairs the Slowdowns occur every fucking time. All in All the Performance ist mostly good enough for me. Played for 25 Hours already and didn't have any Issues that are too wild (no Crashes yet btw too).

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
Performance is a dream for me using Special K and unlocked frame rate. Do have to keep getting the latest builds for it because it stops working like after this patch.
So good though and I never utilize multiplayer anyway in these games. 25 hrs in now and so glad I can play it running this way.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
I'm not sure what to believe about this patch yet as I don't own the game anymore but everyone's experiences are so different. Like did the patch fix anything or was it because the shaders were complied since people have put hours into the game already or perhaps is it actually special k and the fps unlock tool? confusing at this point.

Callum

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still getting stuttering while traversing on a 3080ti/3700x, patch didn't seem to do much for me

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
They just fixed a few bugs and laptop gpu issues.

No performance patch yet.

And bloodstains during last maintenance.

Nere

Dec 8, 2017
Guys is this even normal? I had quite a bit of stuttering, so I was like let's check the usage and this is what I see... It's on a laptop btw. Is it normal to have such low gpu usage?
NXQrMbt.png

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
latest patch no stuttering so far...3070 + Ryzen 3600

Oh hey, I'm on the same system - could you do me a favor? Could you go the grace by the enemy camp in the beginning and just stay there for a minute looking at the FPS? Do you also get dips to 54-57ish despite nothing happening just riding around the area? And low 50s fighting the big guy when you go through towards Stormveil and out again to fight him near the camp?

I just feel that this game should run so much better on a system like this and it just.. doesn't. I'm not even talking about the engine related stutters and stuff, I feel like it should still be powerful enough to tank through the bad optimization to prevent dips to the low 50s.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
This is before the patch, haven't tried since then.

Well hopefully it fixes you right up, but it doesn't seem to be doing so for everyone.

Your issue is kind of insane though, so I would think it would be addressed at least a bit. Like, 8%? Like that seems like somethings gotta be wrong but I wouldn't know where to start. Try the patch and see if it helps.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
That is pretty insanely low, especially given the patch was specifically to fix that.
Guys is this even normal? I had quite a bit of stuttering, so I was like let's check the usage and this is what I see... It's on a laptop btw. Is it normal to have such low gpu usage?
NXQrMbt.png

Yes it is normal. On dx12 many games are improperly reported by the task manager.

Use msi afterburner to see what it actually uses.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
Stuttering is completely gone for me! Tried for around 20 minutes so far.

RTX 3090 & Ryzen 5900X & 32GB RAM 3600Mhz

Time to make new character and play

Naru

May 11, 2019
Performance feels better for me since today's patch. Not by much but it's noticeable. Less stuttering as well.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
after a complete reinstall my game works again and didnt lose any savedata... just all my gaming time for today. bleh.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
So I assume, while not perfect, the recent hot fix patch has been pretty good about quelling stuttering issues?

No it did absolutely nothing regarding that.

We have the patch notes.

Other people claiming otherwise : placebo, cache being already built, random new area less glitchy etc...

For me YES, I dont know if its because I have a lot of assets accumulated in cache or what.. but so far, I havent had a single drop below 55

Just FYI the drops to 55 are still part of the micro stutter. (usually drops to 59 or 58)

Or rather to 56 is the lowest I noted the micro stutter to impact framerate, but it's very annoying to me cause I notice it right away.

It's another issue separate from the cache compilation itself.

May 12, 2019
3800x and 2060 Founders Edition here, 16GB RAM

Playing at 1440p, High settings + Shadows at max, game is pretty smooth most of the time - 45-60fps outdoors, 60 locked indoors

Surprisingly, the tip circulating around about disabling the Microsoft Device Association Root Enumerator in device manager wasn't a placebo - It greatly reduced stuttering during asset streaming. Saw much less stuttering after disabling it.

Hard to say if the patch helped at all with GPU utilization, ill have to bust out RTSS later to check performance

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
Just FYI the drops to 55 are still part of the micro stutter.

Or rather to 56 is the lowest I noted the micro stutter to impact framerate, but it's very annoying to me cause I notice it right away.
I understand, but I used to get constant drops down to 20~30 fps where the game would stutter so bad it feel like freezing.

This is gone for me, there is stutter still now, but I can tolerate it for the most part.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
I downloaded the new patch last night and the game started stuttering again. I opened the Nvidia control panel, set shader cache to 5 GB hit apply. Waited for it to apply and then changed it back to unlimited and applied that. Started ER and no more stuttering.

The unlimited shader cache works for me and has since it was discovered.

Sep 21, 2019
The new Patch didn't fix the weird Slowdown-Stutters for me. Try for yourself: go to the first Grace in the Game (where the Tutorial Dungeon is) and go down the Stairs into the Cave. Now go the Stairs back up (back to the Grace): on these Stairs the Slowdowns occur every fucking time. All in All the Performance ist mostly good enough for me. Played for 25 Hours already and didn't have any Issues that are too wild (no Crashes yet btw too).

This was an area I tested with the new patch, and it is completely fixed for me. Also, area near the first church is stutter free as well as the Tree Sentinel fight on horseback. Everything is improved, absolutely it isn't placebo because I've tested these areas countless times with various Internet fixes and the patches.

Sep 21, 2019
Performance is a dream for me using Special K and unlocked frame rate. Do have to keep getting the latest builds for it because it stops working like after this patch.
So good though and I never utilize multiplayer anyway in these games. 25 hrs in now and so glad I can play it running this way.

I second this for sure. And this patch improved things for me using Special K and unlocked framerate. It was already petty great but stuttered in a few areas that this patch now fixed.

The game is so smooth now and really just optimal as fuck. So happy.

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
The game runs really smooth for me now, with occasional stuttering. 3600X paired with 3060. There are some frame drops though.

Deleted member 93841

User-requested account closure
Banned
Mar 17, 2021
Did they change anything in the last day? I only had minor stutters up until now, fired up for the first time today and now I'm getting mini-freezes of 1-2 seconds every minute or so. It makes the game pretty much unplayable. Nothing has changed on my side, so I don't understand why I'm having this issue now all of a sudden.