• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I have no clue how it worked or why the controller issue even exists. I had no problems at all with my DS4 via Bluetooth. But, I do connect my controller prior to starting a game, with only Steam open. In the past with other games, if I try to connect once the game is open, sometimes it won't register.

I just tried again, unplugging both my keyboard and my mouse and nothing changed.

The fuck.

Some keyboards and mice add themselves as XInput devices for advanced features and occupy Xinput Slot 1 which might cause games not detecting actual controllers as they get assigned to Slot 2. I'm not saying this is the issue here but I've seen it happen with other games. You can check that by going into device-manager and seeing if there are any XInput devices despite no controller being connected.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I've covered the entirity of the starting area, half the second, and about 40% of the bottom right of the map.

Out of the everywhere I have been, only a few very tight areas have had the big stutter/screen lock issue.

Tree Sentinel fight was a bit messy, caused me to die a few times.

The microstuttering has actually been fairly low impact and infrequent overall though.

Inside areas remain absolutely solid.

Relative to others, I seem to be having a good time.

2700x
16GB
M.2 NVME

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
80-110 FPS thanks the FPS unlocker on high

Using a 1660 super OC **

Oct 27, 2017
For anyone experiencing the controller issue here is what worked for me:

Go to stream library and right click elden ring
Click properties
Go to controller
Click enable steam input
Restart game

sooo my controller is a 6 month old blue ds4 controller the vibration works and i have it in steam under the ps4 controller but in the game is shows a xbox pad.. and it doesnt vibrate.. even though they are both clicked in game and in steam :/

Qrusher14242

Oct 29, 2017
is there any shader cache size option with amd? i thought i remember there being at least an option to turn it off or something but all i can find now is to reset the shader cahce

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
I'm going in completely blind this evening.

Is there an appreciable performance difference between a high end AMD-based system and an Nvidia/Intel-based setup?

It'd also be sweet if someone can recommend me a decent benchmark/performance review website (or YT video) that I can read up on my way home :-)

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
People judging their stutter level based on Tree Sentinel should progress a bit farther and see how it is. My experience with the game has been a locked 60fps 99.9% of the time, and I just ran by the tree sentinel the first time. I do get occasional stutters when it seems like it's between a loading zone but it's really not a big issue. Now that I've gone back to the Tree Sentinel after 4-5 hours I can see that fight in particular is heavy on the stutter. My guess is it's something in the layered horse armor (heh) that's causing it because if you look close it's really intricate and probably demanding on the shader cache or whatever.

Oct 28, 2017
I've been noticing the the render latency of the game often jumps from around 12ms up to 30ms at completely random times, even when GPU load is only at 50% or so indoors. The extra 20ms or so of latency is definitely noticeable, and sometimes it'll stay at 30ms for upwards of 10 minutes, then go back down.

I tried capping the framerate to 59 in NVCP and it's not going up to 30 at all anymore, just hovering around 10-15. Probably only viable for people with VRR screens, but give it a shot if you've noticed any uneven input latency.

Freshmaker

Oct 28, 2017
I'm going in completely blind this evening.

Is there an appreciable performance difference between a high end AMD-based system and an Nvidia/Intel-based setup?

It'd also be sweet if someone can recommend me a decent benchmark/performance review website (or YT video) that I can read up on my way home :-)
Not really. It's capped at 60fps and stuttering seems to not play for any specific team.

WindUp

Oct 30, 2017
Tree sentinel is the only thing that's really caused me any issues so far. First boss had a stutter first time I fought him in a session twice, but was fine otherwise.

Performance is clearly not amazing overall and I have my settings set to medium + 1080p but haven't had any moments where I felt like it was gamebreaking at all.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
I hope it won't be years until we get a fixed up pc version like horizon zero dawn. If they are even going to support it for this long

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I've been noticing the the render latency of the game often jumps from around 12ms up to 30ms at completely random times, even when GPU load is only at 50% or so indoors. The extra 20ms or so of latency is definitely noticeable, and sometimes it'll stay at 30ms for upwards of 10 minutes, then go back down.

I tried capping the framerate to 59 in NVCP and it's not going up to 30 at all anymore, just hovering around 10-15. Probably only viable for people with VRR screens, but give it a shot if you've noticed any uneven input latency.
Yeah I capped mine to 57fps to be safe. Makes a big difference with micro stutters. Doesn't help the big stutters, but it's something at least.

That's probably why the fps unlocker helps (haven't tried it yet). The in-game fps cap probably gets out of sync with the actual frame buffer.

SoneaB

Oct 18, 2020
UK
Not sure whether this is just me but I forced vsync off in the Radeon control panel for Elden Ring and it no longer gives me a headache. There is still loading stutters and freezes (which get me killed) and the frame rate still fluctuates but the jerky mini stutters that were making my eyes hurt have gone.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Nope.
You can't turn off vsync for VRR too so yeah.
I even tried disabling it from NVIDIA control panel but i don't think it did anything.
Whats weird is that I thought CA options was there during Network Test, could swear I saw a reviewer talk about that.

For Vsync, I think disabling in Game and disabling in Nvidia CP does the job... but not 100% sure, still get some microstutters.

Oct 27, 2017
Whats weird is that I thought CA options was there during Network Test, could swear I saw a reviewer talk about that.

For Vsync, I think disabling in Game and disabling in Nvidia CP does the job... but not 100% sure, still get some microstutters.
I don't think there is a in-game Vsync setting unless I missed it.

Oddly, I'm now seeing severe screen-tearing in the same areas I never saw it before. I have Vsync and G-Sync on.

May 16, 2021
I crashed to desktop a couple times at the ladder near the bonfire in
Sellia Crystal Mines
so I thought'd be wise to update my gpu driver. Boy was I wrong. The latest Nvidia driver made my performance so much worse on my 1080ti.

radvenuz

Feb 24, 2022
After playing for about 6 hours (using the FPS unlocker) it seems that so far the beginning areas are absolutely the worst when it comes to performance by a long shot, specifically the very beginning with the big horse guy, the little outpost/ruins ahead and the swamp nearby with the big boy.
Nothing else so far has come close to how bad those areas run.

I've been playing pretty much locked to 60 95% of the time and although there are absolutely still constant microstutters they have been way less noticeable.

Still, they really need to fix this thing.

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
After playing for about 6 hours (using the FPS unlocker) it seems that so far the beginning areas are absolutely the worst when it comes to performance by a long shot, specifically the very beginning with the big horse guy, the little outpost/ruins ahead and the swamp nearby with the big boy.

I've been playing pretty much locked to 60 95% of the time and although there are absolutely still constant microstutters they have been way less noticeable.

I have killed the
Sphinx and Tree Sentinel
so far, both areas have been stuttery as fuck. The gatefront ruins stutter constantly is that the outpost ruins you are talking about?

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Always off to a good start when the game crashes while loading the first cutscene.

cuplinks

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, I have no clue how it worked or why the controller issue even exists. I had no problems at all with my DS4 via Bluetooth. But, I do connect my controller prior to starting a game, with only Steam open. In the past with other games, if I try to connect once the game is open, sometimes it won't register.
Do you have playstation button prompts?

radvenuz

Feb 24, 2022
I have killed the
Sphinx and Tree Sentinel
so far, both areas have been stuttery as fuck. The gatefront ruins stutter constantly is that the outpost ruins you are talking about?

Can't remember the name, is that the area where

there's a giant guy with a sword and a bunch of adds?

If so then yes, that area and the little village ruins right before were kinda bad.

Everything else has been fine, I won't spoil it but somewhere along the way I ended up getting teleported to the other side of the map and that whole are was totally fine.

Edit: if you're not using the FPS unlocker it's worth giving it a shot.

Last edited:

JJD

Oct 25, 2017

There is a FPS unlocked already? Where?

I didn't see anything over Nexus.

radvenuz

Feb 24, 2022
There is a FPS unlocked already? Where?

I didn't see anything over Nexus.
github.com

GitHub - uberhalit/EldenRingFpsUnlockAndMore: A small utility to remove frame rate limit, change FOV, add widescreen support and more for Elden Ring

A small utility to remove frame rate limit, change FOV, add widescreen support and more for Elden Ring - uberhalit/EldenRingFpsUnlockAndMore

Can't play online but it's done wonders to my performance, the ingame FPS cap seems really bad.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
github.com

GitHub - uberhalit/EldenRingFpsUnlockAndMore: A small utility to remove frame rate limit, change FOV, add widescreen support and more for Elden Ring

A small utility to remove frame rate limit, change FOV, add widescreen support and more for Elden Ring - uberhalit/EldenRingFpsUnlockAndMore

Can't play online but it's done wonders to my performance, the ingame FPS cap seems really bad.
Thank you, but I don't know if I can give up online… :-(

I think I've been lucky I'm playing with everything maxed at 4K and I'm at 59, 60 FPS 99% of the time.

In 5 hours I had only 3 episodes of high FPS variations.

I wonder what kind of performance I could get with a 5800x and a 3080ti…if I could hit around 100 FPS I think I wouldn't resist..,

Sep 21, 2019
FUCK this PC port. Absolute bullshit. I get lower-end systems struggling.

But 3000 series GPUs having issues with 60 fps? Get the fuck out of here.

Problem: game is fucking incredible.

Crowh

Nov 20, 2017
For some reason running the game in full screen sets my monitor refresh rate to 60hz (instead of 144hz) even after exiting the game, in borderless windowed it works fine, very weird. As far as performance goes, running in 4k max with grass on medium (3090, 9900k, 32gb ram) I'm around 16 hours deep and I'm very happy in general, some stutter and fps drops here and there but nothing major, pretty much always 60fps (starting areas where the worse).

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I was just following the instructions on the github page but essentially what I did was this:

- Start the game normally and ensure it's set to Offline Mode
- Set the game to fullscreen mode (I'm using a GSYNC monitor and want to make sure I have no screen tearing)
- Exit the game and in Nvidia control panel find the game exe and set the following parameters: Monitor Technology set to GSYNC, Preferred Refresh Rate set to Highest Available, Vertical Sync set to On
- Copy the Utility exe into the game exe directory (not sure if this is necessary - it's possible the utility will find the game exe no matter where you put it)
- Start the Utility, set FPS to your monitor's refresh rate and enable Frame rate Lock then start the game through the first option (START GAME).
- Once in the game switch to the Utility window and click on "Patch game" then switch back to the game (from what I understand this program does not modify any game files but does affect this game's RAM process somehow).

In addition I use Rivatuner to cap the framerate to 60 (I want to avoid any physics issues). But that's pretty much it.
I have an issue. When I hit 'Start Game' on the utility, it launches Elden Ring but the utility itself seems to instantly close every single time, so I never get to the 'Patch Game' step.

Oct 20, 2020
i'm having fun but definitely experiencing the broad issues of stuttering and inconsistent framerate on a 3060ti + i5 10400F. kinda bummed!

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
Its playable for the vast majority of the time but its still disappointing and embarrassing

Sep 21, 2019
Thank you, but I don't know if I can give up online… :-(

I think I've been lucky I'm playing with everything maxed at 4K and I'm at 59, 60 FPS 99% of the time.

In 5 hours I had only 3 episodes of high FPS variations.

I wonder what kind of performance I could get with a 5800x and a 3080ti…if I could hit around 100 FPS I think I wouldn't resist..,

Since borderless is required does that mean no HDR?

Laurentius

Apr 18, 2018
Another build was pushed to their QA branch just a few minutes ago: https://steamdb.info/app/1245620/depots/

There was another one a few hours ago. Looks like FromSoft is working the weekend trying to get another patch out. I'm glad they're working on it, but also sad for the employees who probably haven't slept or seen their families all week, and are being forced to crunch because either From or Bandai Namco wasn't willing to delay the game another few weeks.

Manzoli

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Ok, so reporting to anyone who's in the lower league of PC's like me:

Acer Nitro 5,
I5 9300h
16gb DDR4 RAM
GTX 1650 4gb

I've found that, in my case, these are the best settings (considering my rig, of course):

Textures = max
SSAO = Max
Everything else set to medium, except AA which is on Low (but no disabled).
And finally i've set the game to 1600x900 (my laptop's monitor is 1080p anyway, the difference is negligible and the performance gain is real).

Annnnnd got to cap it at 40fps using RivaTuner, for that is the best budget option in my experience.

Game does look like Dark Souls 3, in those settings (which are by no means bad, it just doesn't look "next gen"), but i've found that it plays at a consistent 40 with only the ocasional sttuter (30-35 fps) when the game is loading a new area, but so far it's being a pleasent surprise considering my expectations were really not expecting it to play at all (LoL).

The game IS amazing by the way. I've played some 5 hours, give or take, and still taking my time discovering things. Honestly feels like i'm playing Skyrim for the first time, except with a great fighting system (instead of the awful skyrim one).

The only thing is, i don't feel like my character is progressing at all (nor finding interesting items, so far), but, time will tell.

noatak

Oct 27, 2017
I have an issue. When I hit 'Start Game' on the utility, it launches Elden Ring but the utility itself seems to instantly close every single time, so I never get to the 'Patch Game' step.

This tool is in a beta stage so issues may still occur. That said, version 0.0.0.3-beta released a couple of hours ago. Allegedly it fixes some start-up issues. If you haven't yet, you may want to try it.

MickeyKnox

Oct 28, 2017
Really not enjoying what they've done to the movement and overall lack of responsiveness to character actions, the engine level input lag is murder on my reflexes.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So what are the price/performance setting? Getting some awkward drops. Everything on high. 1080ti @ 1440p.

Premium Ghoul

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Just played a few hours in offline mode with the FlawlessWidescreen ultrawide fix and FPS unlock and it makes me so mad that FromSoft doesn't just include these options by default. The only flaw I could see is that distant enemies that are outside the original 16:9 portion of the screen will animate at like one frame per second, but once they get closer it's fine.

Oct 27, 2017
It's probably been discussed but changing the Shader Cache Size to Unlimited (found in Manage 3D Settings/Global Settings in the NVIDIA Control Panel) seemingly has fixed all the judder issues I was having especially when playing with M/KB (also reduced the mouse sensitivity as well which is supposedly being adjusted in an upcoming patch).

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
I decided to suck it up and play it anyways but I'm getting around 40-45 fps at 1080p in the open worldon my 1070 ti, ryzen 5 2600, 16 gb of ram, nvme ssd. Even the interiors don't run that much better. I don't like it but I suppose I've played worse on my regular laptop back in the day. Hoping for a patch but for the time being I've decided to push through like this.

Edit: I had a really nasty bug where the screen would become black with the game still running when going in range of regular enemies. That was hella weird but for some reason my gpu drivers had been reverted to an earlier version somehow (perhaps because of a windows update ?). Anyhow, updating the drivers back to the current version fixed it.

BashNasty

Oct 30, 2017
I've covered the entirity of the starting area, half the second, and about 40% of the bottom right of the map.

Out of the everywhere I have been, only a few very tight areas have had the big stutter/screen lock issue.

Tree Sentinel fight was a bit messy, caused me to die a few times.

The microstuttering has actually been fairly low impact and infrequent overall though.

Inside areas remain absolutely solid.

Relative to others, I seem to be having a good time.

2700x
16GB
M.2 NVME

I too am having very, very few problems. A few big stutters every once and a rare while, and some light performance stuff every now and then, but for 95% of my time, no problems at all. Honestly though, that's always how it goes for me, so I was expecting a pretty trouble free experience

GTX 1080
i7 6700k
Nvme drive
Gsync
1440p

Qrusher14242

Oct 29, 2017
It's probably been discussed but changing the Shader Cache Size to Unlimited (found in Manage 3D Settings/Global Settings in the NVIDIA Control Panel) seemingly has fixed all the judder issues I was having especially when playing with M/KB (also reduced the mouse sensitivity as well which is supposedly being adjusted in an upcoming patch).
Seen this around, but apparently there's no way to do with radeon software. My brother has a 3070, will check and see if that helps him. he gets lots of stutters as well

Chestbridge

Oct 29, 2017

Are you sure? I have mine on 100GB and still judder; can't imagine why unlimited would be different, no ways its using that 100GB lol. But I'll try it.