• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Playing online definitely adds to the stuttering and frame drops for some reason. After doing a bunch of tweaks, and playing offline thinking that those tweaks might have done something since the game was actually performing much better than it previously was, just to make sure I jumped back online. Right back to being a terrible mess. Wonder if it has anything to do with the anti-cheat.

TrueHero

Feb 24, 2018
Anyone have an idea of if it's possible to see a fullscreen fps fix? I want the fps fix but I don't wanna give up HDR Q_Q

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
As frustrating as the performance can be, it is kind of funny that the tree sentinel is near universally panned as being a source of frame drops + stutter and it's right at the beginning!!!!

Like, From, at least cover your tracks at the beginning lol

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Playing online definitely adds to the stuttering and frame drops for some reason. After doing a bunch of tweaks, and playing offline thinking that those tweaks might have done something since the game was actually performing much better than it previously was, just to make sure I jumped back online. Right back to being a terrible mess. Wonder if it has anything to do with the anti-cheat.
Didnt Bandai's announcement about it refer to anti-cheat causing problems?

Or was that… different problems

Oct 28, 2017
Unfortunately the 980 Ti does not support gsync over HDMI; only display port. Gsync over HDMI was first introduced on the GTX 1600 and RTX 2000 series cards.

Oof. No wonder why. This made me realize that I only see the gsync settings because my monitor is also hooked up at the same time. I just assumed by displaying on the tv only the gsync setting was legit. I turned off the monitor and sure enough, gsync is not available anymore. Guess I'll just play on the monitor, oh well

Slammey

Mar 8, 2018
Anyone have an idea of if it's possible to see a fullscreen fps fix? I want the fps fix but I don't wanna give up HDR Q_Q

This!! But in the meantime I'll take Reshade with the fps boost.

Running outside where the tree sentinel is at the beginning and it hovers between 60-90 fps!

Barely any stutter so far except that stair where everyone get the stuttering at the beginning for like half a sec.

Gpu usage at 99%

Gsync / 4k C1 48"
5950x
64gb 3600 cl14
W10

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
For people not having any issues, can anyone test gatefront ruins and let me know how it runs? That's where I have spent the entire hour of my playtime testing and no matter what I do I'm still seeing the spike where it freezes for 1-2 seconds and then I move really fast.

Trying to decide if I should move to another area or refund the game. Getting close to my 2 hour mark.

thethickofit

Feb 1, 2018
There's occasional stutter but honestly the game is at a locked 60 99% of the time, and it looks beautiful.

Hope they fix it up and add DLSS soon though.

Chestbridge

Oct 29, 2017
I got gifted a copy of the game and am running it on GTX970 with an i7-4790k.

It runs surprisingly solid on Medium settings. Somewhere in the 40-60fps ballpark, not quite the disaster I was expecting based on the performance my friends reported on way beefier rigs than mine. Might be some truth to the theory that newer cards see bigger issues.

Probably, I'm on the same i7-4790k and a 3080 (waiting on the rest of my new pc parts) and I get the same 40-60 FPS ballpark at Max settings, with around 65% CPU usage and 50% GPU.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I am only right at the very, very start, but immediately got annoyed by the very occasional drops to 58fps.

Solution: capped my framerate to 57 using RTSS. So far so good. We'll see how it goes once I start hitting the wider open world stutters. Obviously this will only work if you have a GSync monitor, but I'd recommend trying it.

edit: doesn't help the major stutters, but seems to eliminate a lot of the minor stutters.

Last edited:

Yudoken

Jun 7, 2019
Bugs I've had:
While using steam overlay if you press shift it will close the overlay due to the ingame mapping (I just changed the button config and it fixes it)

DX12 shader compilation related stuttering

During the 2nd bonfire cutscene (after the one in which you get the horse) my camera went batshit and went under the floor.

I really hope they decide at least to fix the shader comp stutters.

They really need to add official support for uncapped frames and ultrawide, modders can make this work in a few hours and the game is way too big to ignore these important features especially since EAC is a problem.

Last edited:

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
Elden Ring on my LG OLED via HDMI 2.1, I get very smooth performance. Mild stutter only when I enter a new area. Elden ring on my monitor via DisplayPort and its constant hitches and stutters. This happened with RDR2 as well. Not sure what's going on but HDMI 2.1 seems to always work better for me.

La Fawn Duh

Apr 3, 2018
I recommend to turn of GSync for this game. Game works great for me on normal VSync, 60FPS lock at 60Hz. Sekiro also works better with this setup.
I've very small stuttering - game works better then 80% UE4 games.

I'm playing on RTX3080, 32GB Ram and I7-10700k at max settings 1800p60Hz.

Anyone found a way to disable chromatic abberation and forced sharpening filter?

What do you do with vsync? Do you have to force it through control panel? Otherweise i get massive tearing if i set it to 60hz without gsync.

Sep 21, 2019
Wow, PS4 version playing on PS5 is flawless locked 60 fps. It is so good. Not even the stairs near the tutorial stutter at all.

And it looks really, really great. I actually prefer the lower grass density since it felt too shimmery and pop-in on the PC.

Guess this is how I'll play unless there is ever a framerate unlock on PC or From fixes the issues.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
What do you do with vsync? Do you have to force it through control panel? Otherweise i get massive tearing if i set it to 60hz without gsync.
with gsync on setting my monitor to 60hz I was getting massive tearing. forcing vsync through the control panel and setting my refresh rate back to my usual 120 eliminated it.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I really need to stop buying fromsoftware games at launch.

The state of this game is unacceptable. I wish there was an avenue to get my money back, but I kneejerk purchased on the gmg sale.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I really need to stop buying fromsoftware games at launch.

The state of this game is unacceptable. I wish there was an avenue to get my money back, but I kneejerk purchased on the gmg sale.
The only From Software game I got on launch for PC was Dark Souls 2 and it looks to be the only one at this rate. I now usually wait months to get them.

radvenuz

Feb 24, 2022
So uh my FPS just went from 45-50 in the open world to nearly locked to 60 and the stuttering reduced BY A LOT by using this:

github.com

GitHub - uberhalit/EldenRingFpsUnlockAndMore: A small utility to remove frame rate limit, change FOV, add widescreen support and more for Elden Ring

A small utility to remove frame rate limit, change FOV, add widescreen support and more for Elden Ring - uberhalit/EldenRingFpsUnlockAndMore

Only played it for about 10 minutes in that starting area but I noticed immideate improvement.

I think the FPS cap in this thing is completely busted up, It reminds me of DMC5 where capping the FPS ingame tanked my performance but with RTSS it was silky smooth.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
So uh my FPS just went from 45-50 in the open world to nearly locked to 60 and the stuttering reduced BY A LOT by using this:

github.com

GitHub - uberhalit/EldenRingFpsUnlockAndMore: A small utility to remove frame rate limit, change FOV, add widescreen support and more for Elden Ring

A small utility to remove frame rate limit, change FOV, add widescreen support and more for Elden Ring - uberhalit/EldenRingFpsUnlockAndMore

Only played it for about 10 minutes in that starting area but I noticed immideate improvement.

I think the FPS cap in this thing is completely busted up, It reminds me of DMC5 where capping the FPS ingame tanked my performance but with RTSS it was silky smooth.
That's cool. Is there any point to using it if you're on 60hz like me though? It says it's an FPS Unlocker but number 7 says:

"Start Elden Ring FPS Unlocker and more and set FPS lock to your monitors refresh rate"

So is this only of use for high refresh monitors?

Sep 21, 2019

github.com

Any chances this will ever be made available for coop play?

radvenuz

Feb 24, 2022
That's cool. Is there any point to using it if you're on 60hz like me though? It says it's an FPS Unlocker but number 7 says:

"Start Elden Ring FPS Unlocker and more and set FPS lock to your monitors refresh rate"

So is this only of use for high refresh monitors?
Funny thing is, it lets you lock it at whatever FPS you want I just chose 60 since I don't know if higher framerates screw anything up and it still improved my performance.

Any chances this will ever be made available for coop play?
No idea, probably not unless FromSoft explicity allows it? I don't know, I'm playing offline.

naw

Oct 25, 2017

github.com

same dude who made the sekiro fps unlock (which was very good). nice to see he got it out so quickly

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
I set frametime adjustment to 120FPS without success. Didn't enable any other fixes. Playing in Full Screen (for HDR).

Disabled EAC as instructed by replacing it with eldenring.exe

I have vsync forced off in the nVidia panel for this game as well.

Anyone have better luck?
Fixed with the latest version. And then I found out my 3080 can barely do 80 FPS@4k so it will require 1440p or living with 60FPS. Lol

The stuttering between zones is definitely annoying, there is a LOT of in-between zones. Hope they patch that shit. Otherwise, game runs pretty well on my GPU.

Is the game engine incompatible with DLSS?

CrackaFett

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017

github.com

I read that offline mode is what fixes most of these stutters.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Fixed with the latest version. And then I found out my 3080 can barely do 80 FPS@4k so it will require 1440p or living with 60FPS. Lol

The stuttering between zones is definitely annoying, there is a LOT of in-between zones. Hope they patch that shit. Otherwise, game runs pretty well on my GPU.

Is the game engine incompatible with DLSS?

No really such a thing as incompatible, especially after multiple games can suppprt DLSS even when the engine doesn't support TAA. More like incompetent.. . Im sure if they gave nVidia a call they would have lend a hand immediately especially fpr such a high profile game. The game doesnt have any AMD sponsorship.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017

Might explain why my experience has been drastically different than some of the videos posted. I put it in offline from the very start pretty much. I have been messing around in the starting area, but I have noticed that as time went by the hard stutters when it was loading something have now been replaced by framerate drops. I don't know how bad since I don't keep a FPS counter running, but if I am noticing it it must be a decent amount, but they are also less common.

Those who said the longer you play the more smooth it becomes seem to be right. I assume once I go to a new area there will be a difference until the cycle repeats, if they are right.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone posting about having issues running in 4k or 1440... shit man im just trying to run in regular ass 1080p with a 2060 and its a mess

I want to try playing in offline mode tonight. That is one thing I didnt try yesterday.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
I've found that borderless window makes it much better for me, so far at least, both in terms of performance and stutter.

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
https://steamdb.info/app/1245620/depots/

Seems like they are working hard on the next PC patch! Last branch update one hour ago.

Hopefully, that update will be able to stop my graphics card drivers and then my whole system from crashing occasionally when I encounter a hard stutter.

Borderless window seems to make it better for me, so far at least, both in terms of performance and stutter.

Then I will definitely give that a try.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Why would you change your monitor's refresh rate on a Gsync monitor?
Fixed refresh rate is still king in many occasions, some games just works better with vsync at 60HZ instead of relying on g-sync with higher Hz cap, which could still let the Hz fluctuate and/or the game doesn't like the gsync at all (e.g. Psychonauts ran like total crap with g-sync but was perfectly smooth with ingame vsync and cap at 60Hz, same whit Forza Horizon 5, perfectly smooth by using the ingame vsync and cap only).

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Everyone posting about having issues running in 4k or 1440... shit man im just trying to run in regular ass 1080p with a 2060 and its a mess

I want to try playing in offline mode tonight. That is one thing I didnt try yesterday.
1080p gang checking in, I haven't gotten to play much at all yet though, pretty much did the character creator last night. I get off work in 9 minutes and plan to dive in immediately.

Not that my experience is going to be any different than anyone else's.

github.com

I will try this out, I ran it for 10 seconds real quick but forgot to check the set FPS box first smh.

Laurentius

Apr 18, 2018
https://steamdb.info/app/1245620/depots/

Seems like they are working hard on the next PC patch! Last branch update one hour ago.

I wonder if they're going to try to push out another patch during the weekend. It's 6AM in Japan right now, though...they're probably getting a decent amount of pressure to release a patch right now, but there's also the risk of rushing it without proper QA and making things worse. I remember a patch that came out on a Friday a week or two after Dark Souls 3 released that introduced a significant stutter / micro-freeze that wasn't there before, and we had to wait a few days for them to fix it again.

ChitonIV

Nov 14, 2021
with gsync on setting my monitor to 60hz I was getting massive tearing. forcing vsync through the control panel and setting my refresh rate back to my usual 120 eliminated it.
I'm quoting you, but this post is a small PSA about this stuff:

Locking your monitor at a specific refresh rate and then inputting a lower refresh signal from a game, usually increases input lag.

If you play a game at 60hz output, the monitor should be at 60hz. Same with 120, 144, etc. It's generally less of an issue with newer monitors. As they normally just detect the input signal and automatically set that refresh on the monitor. But some monitors, such as Samsungs from 2 or 3 years ago, let you lock the monitor refresh in its menus.
Borderless full-screen also probably implies that a game's refresh can be independent from the monitor's.
Best way to tell is open your monitor menu and see what res and refresh it is reporting.
If you meant your desktop res is usually set to 120hz, it's likely the game switches your monitor to 60hz when it goes full-screen.

Gsync is recommended to be used in tandem with Vsync from the Nvidia control panel. Unless the specific game has a conflict and needs to use its own vsync code. Using vsync from the game or forced through driver Control panel removes the need to run a framerate cap just below the set refresh rate, along with gsync.

There should be no explicit need to run RTSS if the only reason is for a framerate cap. If that's all---you can cap framerate in both Nvidia and AMD control panels. And have one less app running and hooking into your game.

Souls games are games which can be picky and may need to use their own vsync code on some systems.
Adaptive refresh methods may not work well with Souls games (not talking about VRR).
Likewise, anything which 'hooks' into them can exacerbate stutters and frame drops.