• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nyteshade517

Oct 25, 2017
Just putting my specs again...

i7-10700KF
3060 Ti (using the latest driver)
16GB 3600mhz RAM
1080p/Max Settings
Windows 10
G-Sync Compatible monitor with G-Sync enabled

On about 4 hours of playtime now...mostly just running around the initial open world area and through a couple mini-dungeons. It's been pretty smooth about 99% of the time still. Even in rain it doesn't really stutter. I've had some slight hitching but nothing that's made anything unplayable and never for more than like half a second. I can't speak for how it'll run in other areas that I haven't been to but for what I've been able to do it's ran well enough.

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017
There was something going on with them. I they were gone for me for a bit.

The stuttering I'm seeing definitely affected a boss fight. It was that giant you fight with a bunch of archers around you... the game froze for a second and then the timing kind of sped up to catch up. It was pretty bad.

EDIT: Aside from that I'm getting zero issues. Hope it's a bug they can fixed quickly.
Yeah it's kind of strange that when it stutters it goes into overdrive afterwards as if to make up for lost time.

Gushu

Sep 29, 2018
Just tested an hour before going to work now. Running around in the open world.

2080 / 5600x / 4*8GB RAM (3200Mhz CL14)

It's been almost perfectly smooth for me. Only some really minor stutters with don't bother me at all. Sooo exited to dive in later! :D

ChitonIV

Nov 14, 2021
Releasing a port like this is unacceptable. I dont know what happened. Fromsoft ports have usually been decent in the past.
I had major issues with Dark Souls 3 around release time. I could look in certain directions or stand in certain spots and reproduce massive framerate tanking. Behind one of the thrones at firelink shrine was one of the spots.

Also, in the starting area, pretty much anytime I generally looked in the direction of where you start a new game-----massive framerate drop. (back then I had an Radeon HD 7870)

To this day, the pool of swampy water right near the starting spot, is also a great place to drop some frames and with my RTX 2060, it sometimes doesn't rebound back to full performance, if I"m running the game at settings and resolution which nearly max out GPU usage. Its like some kind of performance leak.

Also, if you stand still in Dark Souls 3 and just carefully look at the screen, certain details and shading on many objects will shift somehow.

The water around the first Gundyr fight has a couple of elements in the screenspace reflections which have a glitched look to them. You gotta look pretty closely but, there are a couple of elements which just cut off, with a hard line. Playstation version isn't like that. And I JUST reinstalled W11 and swapped to an RX 6600 XT and its still like that.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
Releasing a port like this is unacceptable. I dont know what happened. Fromsoft ports have usually been decent in the past.
dark souls 2 was unplayable for me at launch because your armour degrading twice as fast because it was 60fps. On top of me already not liking the game all that much, I literally could not progress past an area because I couldn't make it there with any armour left cause it was crumble.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Screen tearing fixed. Games runs very well outside of stutter now. Guess I can enjoy this.

3070/i7-11700K/16GB RAM

sym30l1c

Oct 25, 2017
2080Ti
5800x
16GB 3200mhz CL14 RAM
G-sync compatible monitor

I've been playing for 4 hours at 4K max settings. Apart from some frame drops when loading new areas, the game runs very smooth for me. Hopefully it will stay that way.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
2080Ti
5800x
16GB 3200mhz CL14 RAM
G-sync compatible monitor

I've been playing for 4 hours at 4K max settings. Apart from some frame drops when loading new areas, the game runs very smooth for me. Hopefully it will stay that way.
Are you getting a stable 60? My 2080ti was running at about 75 - 80% usage at 1440p, so 4K @ 60 doesn't seem doable, unless there's some fuckery going on... which, considering the state of this PC port, seems very likely.

Rikster

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Jun 24, 2018
California
God damn this game is amazing totally understand the 10/10 reviews now. Been playing since release steam release and still frame rate is holding up really well. Only got some stutters fighting that boss on the horse when you get to open world.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
Every streamer I watched, the Sentinel seems to be really bad with those particular slowdowns and then speed ups.

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
I tested VKD3D and the game instantly shuts down because EAC doesn't trust the DLL for it.

Unfortunately, it seems like there won't be any user fixes to fix the stuttering issues unless FROM whitelists them in EAC.

You can bypass EAC moving the "start_protected_game.exe" to another directory, copy "eldenring.exe" and change the copy exe name to "start_protected_game.exe". That will do it, but you will be offline. VKD3D works fine, i don't know if it shutter less but it works.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
The stuttering is mostly fine for me but borderline unplayable in parts like the Tree Sentinel. So far the Reddit fixed hasn't helped. 3900x/3080. Bleh.

Edit: made the tree sentinel part playable after reboot! I also set the max frame rate via nvidia control panel to 61

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
3080 / 5900X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 - Getting very few issues here after 4 hours.

Runs at 4K maxed, GPU usage has peaked at around 93%. Only small stutter I am getting is for area transitions sometimes, but nothing else really. Tree Sentinel fight is fine.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
They have to fix this right? Im over the 2 hour mark, but man, im kinda regretting not going with xsx on this one. The stuttering and inconsistent framerate is really hurting my immersion

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
my performance has been pretty damn solid thus far, still. Some small stutter hiccups but no big hang ups or anything like that. I feel good about the performance i am getting.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Been playing this for a few hours, while it's not "great" it's not nearly as bad as some ports I used to play. Really enjoying it and the technical issues haven't cropped up too much.

sym30l1c

Oct 25, 2017
Are you getting a stable 60? My 2080ti was running at about 75 - 80% usage at 1440p, so 4K @ 60 doesn't seem doable, unless there's some fuckery going on... which, considering the state of this PC port, seems very likely.

I checked the framerate only in the first areas and I had some drops in the 50s, but I have a g-sync compatible monitor, so they weren't realy noticeable. When I noticed it was smooth enough, I stopped looking at the framerate otherwise I'm going to obsess over it.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Okay, game runs like shit on my PC and I'm even seeing a lot of visual glitching in the open world. Maybe a driver update might have fixed some of that, but I'm not interested in trying that since the last time I tried, it totally screwed up my voltage settings.

Not gonna lie, pretty fucking annoyed by this. Thank god I have a PS5, I guess.

SpillYerBeans

Oct 25, 2017
I was pretty worried going in but I put in about 4 hours and witness some frame dips every now and then but so far that is the only major thing thankfully.

WindUp

Oct 30, 2017
I've had very solid performance but definitely got a few bad (like .5-1 second) stutters on the first boss which is a bit concerning

masizzai

Nov 28, 2017
Reddit fix made it worse. Experienced hard freezes on a boss that lasted for several seconds.
Same Reddit fix literally froze my game then crashed it multiple times. Reverted back. The longer I've played though the less stutters I've had. Almost like I'm playing an emulator compiling shaders lmao

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
Main problem I'm having is a bunch of crashes at seemingly random moments, game crashed five times on me already.

Sep 21, 2019
This has to be fixed. Anyone using a wired controller to play this? Was wondering if my wireless controller could be causing any issues, though it never has before...

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Even the first optionalcave boss without much health had some pretty intricate patterns so I can tell this is going to be exciting

Edit: Meant for ot

Grip

Oct 26, 2017
Played for a few hours and really wasn't experiencing any crazy performance issues. Some stuttering here or there but perfectly playable.

Though, I'm on a pretty beefy rig with a 3090 and 10700k so I'm assuming that's helping a little.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
OK - so after playing for close to 2 hours - my frame rate is actually really good - my problem is these stutters that happen every 1-2 minutes. It's almost like a freeze, and then the game will "speed up" to catch up. I remember this was mentioned in an early review but I'm getting it a TON. Literally, every 1-2 minutes.

Hope this gets fixed soon!

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
I'm getting pretty much what Digital Foundry reported. New shader = big stutter. Moving between large areas = stutter. My frame times are all over the place generally. VRR negates alot of the frametime issues, but the stuttering is very noticeable.

3700X @ 4300+
RTX 3070
32GB 3600 DDR4
1TB NVme 2400 SSD

ditusjack

Oct 26, 2017
Man, this is really sad.
The game quality is insane, but these technical problems really drag it down.
I mean shit look at this:

(if you want to keep playing blind don't watch it, Vaati tells about a bunch of stuff you can do and get early without in the game)
There is a part in this video were Vaati is talking about Night VS Day stuff, how it affects the world and the game system and such, and he likes to use atmospheric imagery on his videos, his character is sitting while he pans the camera around the night view with golden shards flowing about without HUD, beautiful stuff, and them at 3:28-29 you see the game freeze for a millisecond, like straight up stop and go.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
How did this make release? The Tree Sentinel is a first major encounter it should have been obvious how bad it was.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
1660 super OC keeps the 60 FPS no problem.

Only mild stutter was when I first swung my Katana. Other than that? it's golden.

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've played a little over 2.5 hours, have had 0 noticed stutters during that time. Really happy with my experience and performance.

10900k at 5 ghz on all cores
RTX 3080
32 GB ram at 4100 hz, 16 16 16 36 timings
Installed on an m.2 SSD

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
Man it's running like shit on my 1070 Ti, ryzen 5 2600, 16 gb ram at 1080p on high. I went out in the open world and it fell to 40 fps straight away.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting some infrequent stuttering in certain areas but thankfully it's not too bad. Might have lucked out.

Assuming it had something to do with EAC + Afterburner/RTSS, I disable them when I play. Might be placebo though. I'm playing online if that matters.

3080 Ti + Intel 9900k, 32 GB RAM. Playing on an NVMe drive.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Played around 5 hours, performance is okay-ish for my setup, i didn't experience stutters like every few minutes but it was still there although barely noticeable. Most settings were on Medium except Textures which was on High on 1080p resolution and I managed solid 60 fps indoors while getting an average of 55 of the open world and occasionally a drop to 45-ish.

Ryzen 3600X
GTX 1060 6GB
8GB DDR4 RAM
SSD Sata

I also did the trick of putting the game folder on Windows Defender's exclusion list prior to start playing the game so I don't know if that really helped or not.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Gonna see how this runs on an AMD system (laptop 6800M) and NVIDIA (3090) GPU-based system once it finishes downloading at different resolutions (1080 on the laptop, 1440p on desktop).

Not exactly looking forward to seeing what technical issues there are when Afterburner doesn't work on my laptop.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
Have they? I swear I remember Dark Souls games having many issues on PC ports.
The original Dark Souls PC port was terrible until Durante made a mod to fix it. In my personal experience, the other games have been fine though. I played through DS2, DS3, DSR and Sekiro on PC with no major issues whatsoever. Really if you've got a decent computer, up until Elden Ring, the PC versions were the best way to experience these games. The console versions have been plagued with mediocre performance.

HybridEidolon

Sep 27, 2020
I've thrown in the towel 2 hours in. It's unacceptably bad. The game absolutely falls apart in specific spots in the world and in the middle of specific boss fights. It's very obviously not anything to do with anyone's hardware but a fundamental flaw in the engine. I'll have to wait until From fixes the game. Do not buy this game on PC until they fix it.

i7-7700k
GTX 1080
16GB RAM
SATA SSD

facepalm007

Oct 26, 2017
Specs:
5900X
32GB DDR4-4000
2TB 980 Pro

Tried at 1080P and 1440P with High Graphics settings

Yeah, unfortunately the stuttering in this game is making me nauseous while playing, even with the "fixes" that were posted. Hopefully a patch will come.