• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Omega.X

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if increasing the shader cache size to unlimited might result in eating up quite a bit of disk space over time?

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Alas the reddit fix seems to have only had a modest impact for me. I was never really getting what looked like the shader compilation brief stutters to begin with (boss fights completely smooth), but I still have ocassional dips to 10-20fps when traversing the open world quickly. It does seem like the dips last less time but maybe placebo.
What's your specs?

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Yeah I'm locked in with PS4 version now, going offline till I've finished. Hope you Guys m

I was coming into say PS4 on ps5 has performed flawlessly, is this actual working? Cause I'll be right back on pc
It worked for me and I couldn't be happier. My specs are 3090, 10700k with a 980pro SSD. I'm also using win 11.

I shared my specs because I want to see if it affects different builds. Some are saying it's not working for them.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
So...

I was getting frequent but pretty mild stuffters in the overworld. Inside environments are completely stutter free for me. Menus too.

I've not yet tried to take on a boss, but no encounter so far has been made difficult via perofmance. I'm sure I will run into this tomorrow when I go back to take on the mounted boss at the start....

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a particular part of the game where the stuttering should be really bad, or is it just in general when moving around? I got out into the open area (but haven't got the horse yet), and outside of a few times where it dipped into the 40s, which seemed like caching of some sort, it's been at a steady 4K60 for me.

Folks, i'm having a pretty good experience on PC and I don't mean to post this to diminish anyone's actual experiences. I know that there are issues that many are experiencing. Please review the points below and see if that helps you.

-turn off all overlays, fps counters, etc.
-stop any background processes (so don't have a chrome tab open or something like that, or discord)
-play offline (it's buried in the menus)
-Data usage agreement: decline
-send summon sign: "disable"
-play from an nvme
-enable gsync

I still get occasional stutters but in all honesty 95% of the time it's running fine. Kind of what Jason Schreir posted to Twitter yesterday.

Same here unless I just haven't hit a particular part that's filled with constant stutter.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm, the reddit suggestion does seem to make things a little smoother, but I am also rocking a 3090 and am not very sensitive to this stuff so didn't notice anything awful to begin with. I also need to spend more time with it, so very possible it is just the placebo effect in action.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Releasing a port like this is unacceptable. I dont know what happened. Fromsoft ports have usually been decent in the past.

Jtrizzy

Nov 13, 2017
This is weird…I Just got to the open world and it's been a locked 4k60, with minor shader stutters. Maybe I'm not far enough along? 9900k/3080 LG C9 w g-sync.

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Honestly think this fixed the stutters for me. Fighting the Tree Sentinel at the start and I'm no longer getting frame drops during its attacks, it was dropping to 45 FPS before.
This actually worked really well. It doesn't do anything for areas of known slowdown like stairs or other invisible "seams" in the world but it helped a lot with random slowdown. The performance is sort of below par for the visuals but honestly I'll be able to play this fine. Gonna stop fucking around and save the game proper for tomorrow.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
yoooo I thought the performance stuff on PC was going to be overblown. I just started and y'all weren't kidding, the stuttering is absolutely out of control lmao

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Nevermind fighting the first open world boss, those stutters are fucked.
Reddit *fox* did nothing for me.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
Reddit fix did nothing for me.

Still pretty much unplayable with constant fps dips and stuttering during Tree Sentinel.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Played it on my more modest PC and I just can't recommend this version of the game for machines at or slightly above minimum specs. Maybe I should have played with the settings some more, but it was rough on ultra 1080p and high 1080p. Interior was alright, but outdoors was nearly unplayable during parts (particularly and outdoor boss).

Specs are:

Ryzen 1600af
GTX 1070
16GB 3200mhz
Running this one off of a hard drive (load times really weren't as bad as I expected)

Aldo

Mar 19, 2019
3070, 5800x, cheapo NVMe:
Very few stuttering in 40 minutes of playing. Yes, it does have some dips from time to time but they are rare and nothing severe like what I saw in those YouTube videos. Guess I'm lucky.
I refuse to fall into the FPS monitoring rabbit hole again so I don't know the exact numbers but feels like a very smooth 4k60-ish, VRR enabled, everything on High.

Is there any way to tweak HDR?

stemitchell

Nov 17, 2017
Hmmm, the reddit suggestion does seem to make things a little smoother, but I am also rocking a 3090 and am not very sensitive to this stuff so didn't notice anything awful to begin with. I also need to spend more time with it, so very possible it is just the placebo effect in action.

Yeah, I can see it's certainly made a difference for me (Ryzen 5 3600, 3080, 16gb @ 1440p). I did have one 60 to 40fps drop with nothing around as soon as I loaded up, but then it was fine for a boss and a bit of wandering. Hmm indeed...tired now, so will investigate more tomorrow. Promising though!

BuBu Jenkins

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit this game is trash. Its hard crashed my PC a half dozen times on top of the stutter making it an unplayable fucking joke. Got my key from GMG so i can kiss getting a refund goodbye. What a complete failure on From's part back to mother Forbidden West and not coming back until From fixes this embarrassment of a port.

Love having a $2,000 rig just to have the worst playing and most unstable version of a game. God PC gaming is infuriating

Oct 26, 2017
It worked for me and I couldn't be happier. My specs are 3090, 10700k with a 980pro SSD. I'm also using win 11.

I shared my specs because I want to see if it affects different builds. Some are saying it's not working for them.
Did nothing for me, still stutters in the same exact places like ds3 does. W/ 3080/3700x/980pro.

ps4(on ps5) version is locked 60, and little to no pop in

dougie4306

Jul 15, 2021
my game pretty much pauses when im fighting that first open world boss. went and did another one and it worked fine; thought the reddit fix might have worked. nope! might just get this on playstation

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
Well fuck.

Game runs really well for me. Like, complete butter. But when approaching "Gatefront" I experience some of that very noticeable stuttering.

Icedragon08

Oct 30, 2017
6700k, 980ti, played for almost 4 hours and not a single hard freeze or extreme stutter. Pretty much playable for 99% of the time. Framerate tanked during Tree Sentinel but was till playable.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
Reddit fix made it worse. Experienced hard freezes on a boss that lasted for several seconds.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah sorry this port is utter trash and fully deserves a steam review bomb once it decides to show up again.

I want to fight hard enemies and not the god damn fps counter.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
6700k, 980ti, played for almost 4 hours and not a single hard freeze or extreme stutter. Pretty much playable for 99% of the time. Framerate tanked during Tree Sentinel but was till playable.
I have the same build, though I had one crash in 3 hours and maybe 2 instances of locking up for a few seconds. But otherwise, the other 90% of it was surprisingly smooth.

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
3070 Ti / 3700X / 32 GB RAM / SSD / Windows 11

Playing at 4K all maxed out, runs mid 40s at the lowest to 60 much of the time. The stutters were mostly alleviated by the reddit suggestions (namely the shader cache size set to unlimited). It's not a great port but I'll be more than happy to play this tomorrow all day.

It's weird in that none of the settings really seem to matter much. Like dropping to 1440p, it still hovers in the high 50s in certain places. So I'll just YOLO it on the resolution. Hide my FPS counter and hope G-sync does its thing well enough to not really notice.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah sorry this port is utter trash and fully deserves a steam review bomb once it decides to show up again.

I want to fight hard enemies and not the god damn fps counter.
ZNysYKL.png

not sure why some people arent seeing reviews

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017
5800x
32GB RAM

Played around 5 hours, no crashes. The only stutters are when moving between areas, but they are very brief and don't impact playability. Performance is otherwise locked at 60fps at 1440p on maximum settings.

mangopositive

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Oh Jesus... I saw the complaints, but figured I'd be okay (again). I can't even get the game to acknowledge that I don't have an Xbox controller connected. I can't figure out how to make the keyboard commands show up on screen, or work in general. I guess I could fish out my old controller to try to make it work, but I'm much more inclined to stop buying From Software games ever again.

noatak

Oct 27, 2017
3090 / i9 9900kf / 32 GB DDR3 / NVME / Windows 10 (latest win version and nvidia driver)

Playing at 1440p all maxed. Works locked at 60fps everywhere (incl. overworld). Very rarely when moving around I get a short performance drop that instantly goes back up to 60fps. I think it may be a caching issue but not sure. Otherwise it works pretty well so far but haven't played very far either.

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
5800x
32GB RAM

Played around 5 hours, no crashes. The only stutters are when moving between areas, but they are very brief and don't impact playability. Performance is otherwise locked at 60fps at 1440p on maximum settings.

There was something going on with them. I they were gone for me for a bit.

The stuttering I'm seeing definitely affected a boss fight. It was that giant you fight with a bunch of archers around you... the game froze for a second and then the timing kind of sped up to catch up. It was pretty bad.

EDIT: Aside from that I'm getting zero issues. Hope it's a bug they can fixed quickly.

tungmin97

Apr 3, 2019
Oh Jesus... I saw the complaints, but figured I'd be okay (again). I can't even get the game to acknowledge that I don't have an Xbox controller connected. I can't figure out how to make the keyboard commands show up on screen, or work in general. I guess I could fish out my old controller to try to make it work, but I'm much more inclined to stop buying From Software games ever again.
You can change the prompt on the third tab iirc, the sound and display one.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
There's a very clear issue as even in basic areas stuttering is rampant. The very first cave dungeon, that I remember from the network test, stutters within despite having extremely limited size, asset variety, and enemy distribution. It's literally like...two rooms, two corridors, and three enemy types. Minimal asset density and variety.

The overall framerate soars, as expected, transitioning from the overworld to a more controlled, small area. But the stutters ramp up.

Pretty poor quality, really.

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017

Didn't do anything for me 3080, 10850k 980 pro SSD Win11.

Did you also disable steam overlay? I just did the high performance thing and the shader cache.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Game looks awesome at 4K max settings. And I can tell would run silky smooth if it weren't for the insane stuttering issue.

I don't know if it got less bad as I kept playing or I was able to just kind of get used to it. It's not stopping me from enjoying the game at least.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Did nothing for me, still stutters in the same exact places like ds3 does. W/ 3080/3700x/980pro.

ps4(on ps5) version is locked 60, and little to no pop in
Is your rig the same as DS3 or are you just seeing the issues from that game in here too?

I also had issues with DS3 that never went away but got a new rig so hoping I dont get super fucked a second time.

HybridEidolon

Sep 27, 2020
I tested VKD3D and the game instantly shuts down because EAC doesn't trust the DLL for it.

Unfortunately, it seems like there won't be any user fixes to fix the stuttering issues unless FROM whitelists them in EAC.