• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
Had one lock up and crash to desktop and lots of general stutters and frame drops, both in the open world (really bad when it's raining) and had it really bad during one of the 2 boss fights I've done so far. The stuttering while just running around isn't the worst, but the boss fight stutters really hurt and pissed me off, and it was only during some of the easier starting bosses, I can't imagine how pissed I'd be if I died to stutter during a harder late game boss. They need to do some work on this for sure

Ellite25

Oct 30, 2017
Every few minutes I get massive framerate drops and stuttering. It'll drop into the single digits sometimes. I can't believe how bad it it is. Playing at 4K max settings with a 3080 and 5800x. When it's not having those issues it actually runs 60 fps most of the time with some drops to 55 or so. And it looks beautiful.

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
Yep, have the same config with 3080 TI, RAM, Chip. Running it off decent NVME (samsung 970 evo plus). Tried that Graphics high performance trick, shutting everything down, etc. Finally got my controller to work through BPM (xbox one, official dongle) and unplugging KBM. Port is ridiculous.

I dont think I am exaggerating. This is the worst stuttering I have ever experienced, this is hands down the worst port of a video game I have ever seen. I am dumbfounded. I cant believe I bought this.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Played two hours and outside of the area by where you first encounter the Tree Sentinel guy I don't think I've even encountered stuttering. And the stuttering that is there is so incredibly minimal that I barely notice it. Like I'm generally more tolerant of this stuff than most people but this would barely even register with me if it hadn't been talked about so much. Xbox controller with a wireless dongle thing worked perfectly.

All settings high @ 1440 on a 3070 and decent CPU.

Doctor Doggo

Oct 25, 2017
Game has been running fine for me about 98% of the time. Very rare stuttering and hitching. Have had one crash to desktop after death. Feel very fortunate compared to some of you.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Yeah so I'd say like 98% of the time the game runs really quite well for me. Very light on resources. Low temps and fans don't really kick in either. The lows are probably some of the most abysmal I've seen in a PC release outside of FFVIIR and is frankly unacceptable in this day and age, like what feels like 1-2 seconds of 20 fps every so often, sometimes seemingly at random. Use DX11 and put higher system requirements if you don't have a handle on DX12, or include both. As it is nobody wins.

Fix your shit From and fuck Bamco if they actually were trying to hide criticism. Reviews seem to be back at any rate. Hope it does lower, hoping for a mostly negative.

I would say the game is certainly playable for me, no worse than many console versions of From's games, but it really should not have released like this. They wouldn't have lost anything by giving another month or so of polish.

BrunOz

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I have a i5 9300h / GTX 1650 / 16gb RAM, it's an Acer Nitro 5 laptop.

My game is preloaded on Steam, if anyone with a similar hardware wanna know how it will run, I'll record and upload some footage tomorrow with RivaTuner stats ON and messing around with the graphics settings. Maybe it could help somebody out there too see what to expect from this game at launch.

Here's the test with unlocked frame rate and High / Medium / Low graphics settings and also testing locked 30fps using RivaTuner:

Last edited:

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
The stuttering...is bad, it so far hasn't occurred during major combat but traveling the world there are definitely hitches. Not enough to ruin the game for me but something I hope is fixed very soon.

jkk411

Jul 22, 2018
After about 90 minutes, my initial impressions are...Yeah, it's a bit rough, but it's playable. Mostly a steady 60 FPS. I have it going through my LG CX w/ GSYNC enabled, but this stutter thing is sort of beyond fixing fith VRR. That said, I won't be rushing to buy a console version which I was preparing to do even without the possibility of a refund on the PC side (I won't be asking GMG for a refund after cashing in the key, that was on me for going for a key instead of buying from Steam directly).

Running a 3700x / RTX 3080 / 32 GB of RAM for what it's worth.

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm. This is basically unplayable for me.

Ryzen 3600
16 GB
1050TI

The graphics card is undoubtedly to blame. Too bad I still can't find a new one (been trying for 2 years). Oh well. Didn't expect this to perform so much worse than Sekiro.

Fumpster

Nov 4, 2017
I need some help, pretty desperately. I had this same issue with Sekiro, but now it's happening to Elden Ring as well, and I'm concerned that the workaround that worked for Sekiro will get me banned in Elden Ring.

My Xbox controller isn't working with the game, and only with this game. I know why: it's because I have, in the past, synced a Wii Remote with my system, and FROM's games have a unique quirk where they will only allow you to play the game using the controller designated in slot #1.

The workaround for this was to download https://github.com/briankendall/devreorder Devreorder, a simple tool that lets you adjust controller order. It comes with Device Lister, which lists this for me:

19KaYFs.png

However, I can't find the Wii Remotes in my device manager, even when I have hidden items turned on. Does anyone know how I can remove these from my PC permanently so that I don't need to risk Elden Ring flagging the fix as something ban-worthy? Or alternatively, does anyone have enough knowledge of this sort of thing to be able to tell me that it won't do that?

I appreciate any help.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
On a 3070. It's running….ok. Biggest problem is this weird screen tearing -ish effect. Is that normal stutter that everyone has? Idk what to call it. It's like some screen tearing thing that vertically descends down my screen. Idk what to do.

Premium Ghoul

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
RTX 2070 Super, Ryzen 7 3700X, 16GB DDR4 RAM, game installed on a Samsung 970 EVO NVMe drive.

Played 3.5 hours and there's absolutely shader compilation stutter but for the most part I'm not actually too bothered by the performance. I cannot hold a stable 60FPS at maximum settings but G-sync is doing its job there nicely. I never saw a single one of those large pauses that others have experienced but while fighting the Tree Sentinel the FPS lurches up and down and it looks and feels terrible.

I'm looking forward to Digital Foundry's video!

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to specify on which monitor the game should run?

I can't use HDR cause the game only boots on my main monitor (which doesn't support HDR) and there's no in-game option to change on which monitor it is displayed. I can move the game manually to the TV (third monitor in Windows) and that works but it still thinks it's running off the main monitor so HDR stays greyed off...

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
32GB DDR4
NVMe

At 4K performance isn't great. I could manage the frame drops fine, but without vsync the game tears unbearably badly.

The worst is the stuttering though, which is unforgivable bad and consistent whenever compliling new shaders or streaming new assets. It should not have these issues on high end hardware. I've tested at 1440p and it's just as bad.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Is there a way to specify on which monitor the game should run?

I can't use HDR cause the game only boots on my main monitor (which doesn't support HDR) and there's no in-game option to change on which monitor it is displayed. I can move the game manually to the TV (third monitor in Windows) and that works but it still thinks it's running off the main monitor so HDR stays greyed off...
Maybe try launching the game from within Steam Big Picture on the TV? That's worked for me in the past with other games.

Oct 27, 2017
I need some help, pretty desperately. I had this same issue with Sekiro, but now it's happening to Elden Ring as well, and I'm concerned that the workaround that worked for Sekiro will get me banned in Elden Ring.

My Xbox controller isn't working with the game, and only with this game. I know why: it's because I have, in the past, synced a Wii Remote with my system, and FROM's games have a unique quirk where they will only allow you to play the game using the controller designated in slot #1.

The workaround for this was to download https://github.com/briankendall/devreorder Devreorder, a simple tool that lets you adjust controller order. It comes with Device Lister, which lists this for me:

19KaYFs.png

However, I can't find the Wii Remotes in my device manager, even when I have hidden items turned on. Does anyone know how I can remove these from my PC permanently so that I don't need to risk Elden Ring flagging the fix as something ban-worthy? Or alternatively, does anyone have enough knowledge of this sort of thing to be able to tell me that it won't do that?

I appreciate any help.
Not 100% sure but is it a bluetooth device? if so, go to your bluetooth settings and unpair your wii remote. It may (or probably) won't show up if it's not currently on and running.

Happy Puppy

Oct 29, 2017
Rocking 1050 TI and 8 gugs of ram. Happy to report that it's playable, running it in 1600x900 in all low settings. Usually at 60 fps, 45 in some areas and some hitches in certain sections but it is serviceable. Going to try the fixes in the reddit post to see if I can get a better performance. Aaaww yeah just found a weapons I actually want to use.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Rocking 1050 TI and 8 gugs of ram. Happy to report that it's playable, running it in 1600x900 in all low settings. Usually at 60 fps, 45 in some areas and some hitches in certain sections but it is serviceable. Going to try the fixes in the reddit post to see if I can get a better performance. Aaaww yeah just found a weapons I actually want to use.
Name and avatar check out.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
the specialk dev is lookinh into it

I'm guessing the anti-cheat was added in at the last minute due to the recent issues forcing the Dark Souls servers to be taken offline...so they had to rush to put in a fix and didn't have time to optimize it...hopefully it can be fixed soon...

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Welp, just had my first crash. And I definitely had one instance of stutter that froze everything for a few seconds, though it happened once in the 3 hours I played.

Other than that, though...? 90% of the time, the performance is surprisingly good on my aged hardware. Like...to the point that I'd say it's one of the better running modern open world games on my system, barring the occasional weirdness (which doesn't last long). Maybe all the horror stories I heard beforehand make everything seem pretty smooth now.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
FWIW, I was expecting the worst but it's not as terrible as anticipated.

3840x1600 Ultrawide - defaults to 16:9 resolution in full screen and caps 60fps.

I'm getting a pretty solid 60fps with maximum everything - but no doubt, there is stuttering. So far, in about 40 minutes of just wandering around, it's not game breaking - but it's absolutely an issue and clearly not a hardware issue. When it's running smoothly, it's great. But I get a quick drop to the 40s for a second or so about every few minutes.

i7 12700K
3080Ti
32GB DDR5
NVME SSD
Windows 11

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If that 'high performance' fix did something im wondering if this is like FF13 PC port where the game wasnt using enough of the GPU resources on higher end hardware and defaulting to a low usage state that caused stuttering and frame drops. So lower end hardware ends up using 100% while higher end switches down to 50%. Have to force max usage in the settings somewhere.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
FWIW, I was expecting the worst but it's not as terrible as anticipated.

3840x1600 Ultrawide - defaults to 16:9 resolution in full screen and caps 60fps.

I'm getting a pretty solid 60fps with maximum everything - but no doubt, there is stuttering. So far, in about 40 minutes of just wandering around, it's not game breaking - but it's absolutely an issue and clearly not a hardware issue. When it's running smoothly, it's great. But I get a quick drop to the 40s for a second or so about every few minutes.

i7 12700K
3080Ti
32GB DDR5
NVME SSD
Windows 11
Try the unlimited shader cache fix.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah my 3080/9900k machine means nothing here, I haven't had anything too distracting yet, but I'm taking way more breaks because it's annoying

Nu2th15

Mar 5, 2021
Man it's a shame to see the game struggling like this performance wise. I can't help but wonder where the disconnect was internally that stopped it from being addressed. Hopefully it'll be ironed out in coming patches but performance issues on this level might be a death knell for the game's reputation.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Alas the reddit fix seems to have only had a modest impact for me. I was never really getting what looked like the shader compilation brief stutters to begin with (boss fights completely smooth), but I still have ocassional dips to 10-20fps when traversing the open world quickly. It does seem like the dips last less time but maybe placebo.