• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sidephasing

Dec 17, 2021
took about 15 minutes to solve display and controller issues, but now iv already died countless times due to these fucking stutters

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
My rig:

i7 8700k
RTX 3070ti
32GB DDR4 RAM
3rd Gen NVME drive
1440p Gsync monitor

The game defaulted to the High preset so I just left it there. Played for an hour. I'm getting a pretty solid 60fps but there have been random stutters and pauses here and there. The most egregious hit I took was inside of that little dungeon you find close to the starting point with the little gargoyles in it. A few times in that dungeon the game would briefly pause for about one second or stutter. The pause happened twice and the stutter happened maybe three times.

I'm sure the Gsync monitor is masking some of these drops but so far the game definitely feels very playable but obviously less than ideal. I wouldn't want one of these pauses to hit me on a boss battle or in the middle of a big group of enemies. From definitely has some work cut out for them but this is nothing that's going to make me run out and refund the game for another version.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ.

The performance is even worse outside. Fighting the Tree Sentinel with constant fps dips is super anoying and close to unplayable. Guess i will wait with Elden Ring until this is fixed...

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Yeah I take my comment back, it's not unplayable but all sorts of weird Stutters and areas where you can reproduce drops. Idk, game still looks good at 4k and runs at 60 95% of the time but something weird is very obviously going on

Derpot

Nov 18, 2017
France
Okay I fixed my problem and the game is running smoothly now! No dirty black squares anymore!
The issue was related to the GPU and my graphics card, I think. I had to go through the settings etc

KCroxtonJr

Oct 28, 2017

can't try this atm, anyone care to?
Does nothing, in fact windows automatically sets all my games to high performance apparently so it was already on the setting this person is saying to put it on. I've never touched this menu before so I'm sure it's the same for most other people.

The small chance that windows decided to have elden ring on power saving mode, this may actually help, but it's not going to fix the games actual issues.

Lewpop

Dec 10, 2020
Think I'm done for the night. Massively regret getting this through CD Keys, would like to opt for a refund at this point and go with PS5... Oh well, hopefully it gets fixed soon.

Oct 30, 2017
Just walking to the Three Sentinel (dude on horse) from the bonfire and there's a drop to 20fps and then another one or two during the fight.

This is worse than Arkham Knight, because at least that looked stunning and wasn't difficult.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
yeah. this game runs like ASS on my pc.

i7 7700k. 2080 super.

stutters like crazy. all the godamn time. framerate never stays at 60.

THIS IS BAD. Im refunding on GMG till they fix it. this is unplayable.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
Lots of micro and macro stutters just starting out. JC From Software.

Ryzen 5 5600X,RX 6700XT, running on a PCIE4 NVME.

GPU usage about 60-70%, CPU usage about 30-40%, RAM at about 9GB, VRAM below 5GB. Not very good optimization.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
The stutter is really bad.

Pretty much the only time I don't have stutter is when i'm moving straight-forward.

Turning the camera suddenly causes the most stuttering - even complete freezes for a second. And that's game-breaking with boss battles.

I have 75 minutes logged so far. I think we have up to 120 minutes to request a refund.

Not feeling like this is worth $59.99 USD at the moment.

KCroxtonJr

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't had any really bad issues like I saw in Cohh's stream where the game literally paused for a few seconds, but definitely getting fps drops that make the game go into slow motion.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
2080ti 3700x.

Playing at 1440p rare stutters but nothing big . Definitely playable for me

Last edited:

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
yeah. this game runs like ASS on my pc.

i7 7700k. 2080 super.

stutters like crazy. all the godamn time. framerate never stays at 60.

THIS IS BAD. Im refunding on GMG till they fix it. this is unplayable.

Good luck. They don't generally give refunds to games once the keys have been sent. I regret preordering on GMG.

strife85

Oct 30, 2017
The lack of ultrawide support sucks. Im on a 9900k and 3080 and the stutter is very noticeable too, but goes away after a bit. Reminds me of BOTW running on cemu.

gifyku

Aug 17, 2020
My rig:

i7 8700k
RTX 3070ti
32GB DDR4 RAM
3rd Gen NVME drive
1440p Gsync monitor

The game defaulted to the High preset so I just left it there. Played for an hour. I'm getting a pretty solid 60fps but there have been random stutters and pauses here and there. The most egregious hit I took was inside of that little dungeon you find close to the starting point with the little gargoyles in it. A few times in that dungeon the game would briefly pause for about one second or stutter. The pause happened twice and the stutter happened maybe three times.

I'm sure the Gsync monitor is masking some of these drops but so far the game definitely feels very playable but obviously less than ideal. I wouldn't want one of these pauses to hit me on a boss battle or in the middle of a big group of enemies. From definitely has some work cut out for them but this is nothing that's going to make me run out and refund the game for another version.

Similar setup except with 3080 and a lg cx. Gsync is masking the frame drops except when huge stutters are related to what seems to be streaming or loading of assets. Seems like vRR is mandatory for this game right now

La Fawn Duh

Apr 3, 2018
Oh boy the fps drops are so much worse when u get your horse. Like so much worse. Im calling it for now, this is not enjoyable at all.

ChitonIV

Nov 14, 2021
I just replayed through Dark Souls 3 last week for some ER prep it was pretty easy. With my build I poised through every attack, took almost no damage and staggered bosses easily. The only hard part of what I did is figuring out where the gear was and having to look up guides to remember where, so it does require some form of effort to do I suppose.

Sure I still had to play the game and couldn't just spam, but for a Souls game I did breeze through it, only took 10 hours to beat.

Anyone having issues getting the game to recognize controller input? My elite is detected by my system and by steam, it can be used for that interface, the game itself switches all the icons to the proper xbox icons but it wont register inputs, it's very strange.

May be the wrong thread, but I can't ever my controller to work with the game. Shows the button prompts but it just won't work. Using a PS5 controller

Yeah my controller is not fucking working. At all. I have removed goddamn everything. No fucking dice. God dammit.

I tried that, thanks for the tip. Didn't work, unfortunately. I literally can't play the game. Fuck
The game should natively support Xbox pads. Try turning off all of steams's controller configs. So then the controller is only using the native xinput driver. And not using steam for any control over your controllers.

For Playstation controllers, try doing the same----but then using something like DS4 windows to emulate xinput.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
I'm on a 6900xt, very stuttery outdoors, less so in caves, gravitates between 55 - 60FPS at 4k very inconsistenly. It's very playable, but without a doubt the worst PC port i've played in recent memmory. And it's not even a graphical powerhouse, despite the good art direction.

dmgdbug

Oct 27, 2017
getting stuttering maybe 5% for short periods

6900xt and 5800x. game runs well 95% of the time . also didnt update my gpu driver yet so u will see if that helps

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
So reading through this thread, how the fuck did any game journalist play through this game and NOT notice all the issues? How the hell is something like the game crashing or not recognizing a freakin' controller acceptable? Not to mention the frame rate going apeshit. Stutters can literally mean the difference between life and death in the game. did these people even play the same game as the general public?

Neverx

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Sep 17, 2020
Florida
3080 and 3700x @ 1440p w/all settings on max, solid 60fps for the most part with very minor dips into the 40s for a second with micro-stuttering issue. Definitely playable

robinium7

Jul 25, 2020
Ireland
I'm really disappointed that the game got a free pass from all reviewers for these issues. I mean most reviews didn't even mention these problems, never mind deducting points.

Any other game would get crucified for this, but the Elden Ring hype obviously granted some immunity. It may end up being a masterpiece but I still don't like the double standards being applied to the review process.

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think I solved the stutters from my small testing but will update thread more tonight if it worked for me on a 3080 in 4k.

Basically I turned from max settings to high settings on grass, volumetrics, and shadows.

I also did the set the game to high performance mode and turn off steam overlay . Was stuttering quite frequently prior to this, then after I didnt notice it at all for 3 minutes .

I'll try to do more stressful stuff but it made a difference so far.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
So reading through this thread, how the fuck did any game journalist play through this game and NOT notice all the issues? How the hell is something like the game crashing or not recognizing a freakin' controller acceptable? Not to mention the frame rate going apeshit. Stutters can literally mean the difference between life and death in the game. did these people even play the same game as the general public?
I'm sure nearly all of them were on consoles, which of course has inconsistent framerate, but that's never been an issue for reviewers.

D O T

Jan 1, 2021
Stuttering just as soon as I stepped out into the open world, guess I'll stop playing for now until a new patch dropped.

Oct 27, 2017

Probably because that's the norm when you're reviewing games pre-release.

Oct 30, 2017
As far as I can tell resolution has close to no bearing on the performance (certainly not the slowdowns), so y'all might aswell also stutter in 4K too.

Even at 720fuckingp I can't get 60fps in the start of the open world.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
I'm really disappointed that the game got a free pass from all reviewers for these issues. I mean most reviews didn't even mention these problems, never mind deducting points.

Any other game would get crucified for this, but the Elden Ring hype obviously granted some immunity. It may end up being a masterpiece but I still don't like the double standards being applied to the review process.
Precisely, other devs would get lambasted for way less than this.

SunshinePuppies

One Winged Slayer
Nov 14, 2020
Does nothing, in fact windows automatically sets all my games to high performance apparently so it was already on the setting this person is saying to put it on. I've never touched this menu before so I'm sure it's the same for most other people.

The small chance that windows decided to have elden ring on power saving mode, this may actually help, but it's not going to fix the games actual issues.

tartar sauce

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
this is from one of the editors of the Brazilian PC dedicated site Adrenaline:

it basically says:
After the day 1 patch, the game is at its worst on my PC. Much more crashes and frame drops. Hitting 60fps is very difficult, to keep it (at 60) it's even worse.

Birds of Paradise

Enlightened
Sep 20, 2021
Guys, I need help.
I'm not an expert on computer stuff, but right now the framerate of my game is making it unplayable and I have big fucking black squares all over my screen.
The graphics settings is on low.
Does anyone know what to do? My gaming laptop should have the right specs though...

a9WfLco.png

I was able to fix this issue by updating my graphics driver.

Velox Cor

Apr 23, 2021
Spoke too soon I guess. Performance took a nose dive for me in the last half hour, so I decided to look around and I swear some of the more severe hitches seem to coincide with spikes in network throughput. I am pretty sure the anti-cheat code is at least in part responsible for the stutters. Shader cache stuttering is one thing, but this game seems to be running checks of some sort in the background and while it waits for a response, it freezes momentarily.

Pineconn

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
Well, somehow this game runs on my dusty ol' GTX 980M and i7-6700HQ. My six year old gaming laptop lives on! (And thank god for G-SYNC.)

dragn

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
runs pretty smooth locked 60 (i hate stutter judder and all that shit, bloodborne ...) in 4k max settings with a 3080ti and 12900k. only stutter i had was running up the stairs after doing the tutorial. no drops in boss fights either