• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
So the newest Nvidia drivers part of the issue? I've been holding off since as a mostly PCVR user I just know to not upgrade unless something is seriously wrong.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
myriggdjxq.png

What should I expect?

Oct 25, 2017
Preloading it on Linux. Curious whether the stuttering is a Windows-only issue. Will report back if I manage to play the game tonight.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
This game will stutter even if you have a 3090 SLI system

most things will stutter with SLI lol, 2 card SLI was notorious for introducing lots of micro stutter to almost everything

OT: I'm not sure why people are posting their GPU as if it matters at this point. Almost everything points to this being CPU and RAM related. Any tests done by swapping only the GPU is pretty fucking useless.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This game will stutter even if you have a 3090 SLI system

Hmm. I wasn't bragging about my specs, honest, I'm just going to be debating with myself all day (if not all week) whether to get the more stable PS5 version or invest in the cheap launch price of the PC version ($40-$45 depending where you look) in the hopes that the major issues will be resolved sooner rather than later.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
maybe in from software's job applications you have to say that you can't notice microstuttering or framedrops when you play games, that explains why the whole studio thinks it's cool to release games the way they do, cause none of them see it

lul

Gushu

Sep 29, 2018
most things will stutter with SLI lol, 2 card SLI was notorious for introducing lots of micro stutter to almost everything

OT: I'm not sure why people are posting their GPU as if it matters at this point. Almost everything points to this being CPU and RAM related.
Haha yea true. What i wanted to say was no matter how powerful your GPU .. this game will stutter. And i don't this these stutter are CPU/RAM related but i could be wrong

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
Oh thanks for this, I'm going to try it on some stuff.
Just note (your mileage may vary):

A note on using VKD3D-Proton on Windows

Native Windows use is mostly relevant for developer testing purposes. Do not expect games running on Windows 7 or 8.1 to magically make use of VKD3D-Proton, as many games will only even attempt to load d3d12.dll if they are running on Windows 10.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
So ACG says the latest patch made things worse, while PC Gamer says it fixes a lot (but not everything). So is it just variability due to different builds...?

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
So ACG says the latest patch made things worse, while PC Gamer says it fixes a lot (but not everything). So is it just variability due to different builds...?

Very possible. Drivers, background processes, etc. can all be factors in how good/bad it is outside of pure hardware.

Happy Puppy

Oct 29, 2017
My 1050 TI and 8 gb are ready for the shit show. May my steam deck come soon, cause I'm not paying 1k for a gpu.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Welp, I pre-ordered/bought the game yesterday after the supremely good reviews because I figured "well, if the new patch improves it even just a little then, with those reviews, it can't be too, too bad". Of course, if the reviews were seasoned with a lot of "well, they say it's gonna be better with a day-one patch, so we won't deduct much if anything for the performance issues" and the day-one patch then makes it worse (seemingly) then... yay.

While I don't mind paying the ~44€ much, because I would've probably gotten the game for not much cheaper in the coming months anyway, it does still suck to reward this kind of behavior.

It's never as easy and simple and said but, still, FromSoft, please just invest heavily into a stronger graphics engine team and whatnot.

edit: Gonna dabble around some with controls and how it feels in the first area, and simply stash it away for the time being if it's too bad. Inconsistent framerate and stutter are super obnoxious. Like, having most new encounters be followed up by a disruptive stutter kinda takes the fun out of it.

ditusjack

Oct 26, 2017
Elajjaz just faced the Watchdog statue thing, the one that gave the first 5 second freeze on Cohn stream, no freeze on his stream, Elajjaz has a 2080 Ti i think.

EDIT: He had one freeze frame on Margit the Fell intro and it desynced the cutscene audio lol.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Any idea how long it is before you are set loose in the open world to get an idea of performance? I want to rush through character creation and the opening part of the game incase it's something I need to return on Steam.

Gushu

Sep 29, 2018
Some testing before the latest patch showed that the stutters do get less with better CPU, see this test by Adrenaline (reputable Brazilian outlet), however, are still present even with a top of the line CPU.
Happy i upgraded my CPU to a 5600x with a nice 4*8GB RAM Kit then. I will test it myself in a few hours and hope these stutters don't bother me.

Edit: I also remember Death Stranding had some wierd stutter at PC release which got fixed really fast.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Elajjaz just faced the Watchdog statue thing, the one that gave the first 5 second freeze on Cohn stream, no freeze on his stream, Elajjaz has a 2080 Ti i think.
He could have already done shader processing for that boss/area on his previous runs.

I watched xqcow's stream a bit, he is using PS5 and the game runs fine to my eye.

NoctisLC

Jun 5, 2018
Curious how it'll run on my 6800xt. Every developer and their mom uses Nvidia, hard to find rdna2 impressions.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Just note (your mileage may vary):

A note on using VKD3D-Proton on Windows

Native Windows use is mostly relevant for developer testing purposes. Do not expect games running on Windows 7 or 8.1 to magically make use of VKD3D-Proton, as many games will only even attempt to load d3d12.dll if they are running on Windows 10.
Yeah, with some games any chance of it running better is worth testing, like Jedi Fallen Order. I don't understand how that game was released on PC like that, and it still runs bad for a ton of people (stuttering, micro and lag spikes with a big pause especially during combat).

I like to mod games a lot and troubleshoot so it's basically the real game for me, especially overclocking and undervolting.