• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Same specs here. Hopefully it's not nearly as bad as the previews indicate! Having said that I endured playing Dark Souls originally on PS3 so not like I haven't been here before :P

The difference, for me, was that I only paid $300 for my PS3 back then. That's just half the cost of my 3070 ti (if you're lucky to get it MSRP). I'm OK with mediocre performance if I don't pay much.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
The thread title is [chefs kiss]

Wonder how this will perform on Steam Deck with a healthy 30fps lock 🤔

DPB

Nov 1, 2017

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I just wish we had concrete, official information regarding which version the press played and if there will be another patch deployed before launch.

Khasim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1080ti and 9600k here, conflicting reports everywhere and I'm still not sure what to do, if there is no consensus then I'll just buy the pc version and return it if it runs bad on my rig, I'd rather have a PS5 version that runs mostly at 60 than a pc version that stutters randomly. Fingers crossed. Also the PS4 version on PS5 might be the way to go.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I would think my 8700k and a 3070ti would rip this game to shreds but here we are. Hopefully the day one patch helps a lot. If not I'll refund the game on Steam and buy a PS5 copy.

ditusjack

Oct 26, 2017

According to Brazilian journalist Diego Kerber from the PC focused site Adrenaline, From released a 1.02 patch, they're testing but he said the the 1st impressions are positive.

bob1001

▲ Legend ▲
May 7, 2020
Unfortunately, according to this article it doesn't even boot with 8GB.

news.yahoo.com

I spent 20 hours in Elden Ring with the Wretch: Here's what I feel about FromSoftware's game

For those who are not familiar with the classes in Elden Ring, the Wretch starts the game at level 1, with an even distribution of 10 attribute points across all attributes.
This video shows the game running on 8GB of ram (you can see the specs on the left). He strongly recommends you don't use it and says it's not stable. But it does boot.

EDIT: He also says that the better the CPU the less stuttering there'll be, but it never completely goes away. Also that certain parts of the map are worse than others and that it can get bad during combat. Last 2 things that might be important:
- Low settings look like shit, don't use them. The difference between Ultra and high isn't massive. He'd recommend sticking to medium or high depending on your hardware and only going to ultra if you've got a very good GPU
- They tested 22 GPU's, the average framerates they got on all those GPU's were about what they expected to get, you would be forgiven for thinking the game is actually well optimised if you only look at the average fps. Benchmarks from 23 minutes onward. The main issue with the game are the stutters and that seems to be more of a CPU issue.

This was all without the day 1 patch btw.

Last edited:

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
I'm thinking good a good recent CPU and fast ram is going to be very important to power through some of these performance issues. It's very unlikely unless you're reading a report from somebody on a very outdated GPU that these issues are related to GPU performance. I can absolutely see an open world Fromsoft game using DX12 being very harsh on the CPU and ram, though. Hopefully my 5900x and almost the best ddr4 ram you can get (for AMD) will carry me through. Also, it might just be the day 1 patch that fixes these issues.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Probably already answered, but does this game have issues at higher framerates like most of their previous games?

Dark Souls 1 had the issue with falling through the world when sliding down ladders, and you couldn't jump nearly as far. I believe these issues happened at anything higher than 30fps.

Dark Souls 2 had the durability issue that was eventually patched when they released it for last-gen consoles. I believe this issue happened at anything higher than 30fps.

I'm not sure about Dark Souls 3.

Sekiro had issues above 60fps (I think?), but the absolute worst thing was that it decreased the amount of time you had to parry.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Probably already answered, but does this game have issues at higher framerates like most of their previous games?

Dark Souls 1 had the issue with falling through the world when sliding down ladders, and you couldn't jump nearly as far. I believe these issues happened at anything higher than 30fps.

Dark Souls 2 had the durability issue that was eventually patched when they released it for last-gen consoles. I believe this issue happened at anything higher than 30fps.

Sekiro had issues above 60fps (I think?), but the absolute worst thing was that it decreased the amount of time you had to parry.
The game is locked at 60fps, no higher framerates than that.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

This currently only runs at 60 fps.

Considering how bad and unstable it already is, don't expect people to focus on unlocking that for now.

smashballTaz

Oct 29, 2017
I have an
i5-7600K CPU @ 3.80GHz
32gb ram
Geforce 970 4gb vram

Gonna try it on Steam tomorrow night, if it's trash then eventually I'll get it for Series X.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully a decent amount of the performance issues are resolved with the day 1 patch, but I've honestly gotten used to how poorly Lost Ark runs over the past 2 weeks, so it probably won't be too big a deal.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
It does seem like the update is out for PC as well, so I hope people start talking about any changes soon.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This honestly doesn't seem that bad at all tbh. If I can get a consistent 60 with occasional stutters like in that video, I'd be pretty content with that.
Did you see the bit where it basically froze in the middle of a boss fight, and when it caught back up, he was dead?

Looks frustrating as all hell.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be running this on my ROG Zephyrus S17 GX702 (2021) laptop for a while until I move and finish my setup..

Intel 11900H
RTX 3080 Mobile
48GB RAM
PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD
1440p 165 Hz G-Sync Display
ROG Strix 1080p 240Hz G-Sync Compatible external display

Hope this beast of a laptop can max out its frame rate on one of these displays for Elden Ring.

Luxuria

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Miami, FL
Running an i5 8600k with 16 GB or RAM and a 3080. Might have to upgrade depending on how it runs.

Regardless, I'm hyped AF for this game.

Oct 26, 2017
Best of luck with the PS5 version without VRR.
Unfortunately unstable framerate is a small price to pay to avoid dips to 0 fps ): Ive go PC/PS5 preload w/ a physical Xbox on the way. But no series X atm... cant exactly justify spending any money one one w/ the best excuse I would have is viva piñata: TIP at 4k :D

Qrusher14242

Oct 29, 2017
Unfortunately, according to this article it doesn't even boot with 8GB.

news.yahoo.com

I spent 20 hours in Elden Ring with the Wretch: Here's what I feel about FromSoftware's game

For those who are not familiar with the classes in Elden Ring, the Wretch starts the game at level 1, with an even distribution of 10 attribute points across all attributes.

Wow, i can't think of any game that usually that much ram. I'm running with 16 and never really had issues with any games. Hope it works ok lol.
ryzen 2600x
16gb ram
rx 5600xt

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Unfortunately unstable framerate is a small price to pay to avoid dips to 0 fps ): Ive go PC/PS5 preload w/ a physical Xbox on the way. But no series X atm... cant exactly justify spending any money one one w/ the best excuse I would have is viva piñata: TIP at 4k :D
I'm sure its nothing that severe and given the nature of many configurations not everyone is bound to face the same issues. PC version has a big chunk of reviews and none have said to avoid the PC version and thats without the day one patch.

stemitchell

Nov 17, 2017
I've also experienced occasional frame rate drops and stutters at seemingly random spots around the overworld. These will apparently get smoothed out in a "day one" patch, though since we haven't had access to this pre-release I can't yet verify the fix.

www.rockpapershotgun.com

Elden Ring PC performance and best settings guide

Elden Ring my be FPS-capped on PC, but you can still get the most out of its performance by using its best settings combinations.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine if the day 1 patch actually works, we could have another Elden Ring thread about how From also make the best day 1 patches.

Hint, we won't.

Pirico

Feb 22, 2022
This video shows the game running on 8GB of ram (you can see the specs on the left). He strongly recommends you don't use it and says it's not stable. But it does boot.

Poor wording on the original Yahoo article led many (me included) to draw the wrong conclusion that it's a hard lock (Like AC: Valhalla with sub FL 12_0 cards). However it's not that.

According to some other outlets the thing with 8GB setups is that the game sometimes will fail to boot, and crash back to desktop at the start. However if one keeps trying, it will eventually start and play somewhat nice. But it might crash after long sessions.