• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stratosphere

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure why folks bother rune farming in this game? They hand them out like candy just playing normally. I stopped leveling at SL150 and had like 3M+ by the end of my play through…

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
I can't speak for others, but for me it's the giant HP pools and the over-reliance on AoEs. The 'just strafe behind them' tactic has been an issue in their other games for sure and that needed to be tackled, but I also am not a fan of the keep away tactics that make the fights more annoying for largely melee-focused players like me. What it solves causes a different kind of annoyance that generally makes me enjoy the fights less than before.

There is also a string of other issues that have been becoming more common over each release, like the over-zealous tracking, the delayed attacks, the combos that have various mix-ups with very similar start-up animations, etc.

I totally get that some people thrive on this stuff, but I sure am not one of them. I preferred the balance they had before that made the fights in general a lot more entertaining for me. I don't envy them at all for trying to find a balance that pleases everyone.

The giant HP pools are definitely a problem. While I felt that it was ok for e.g a massive dragon in DS3 to have a huge health pool, it feels like a whole lot of enemies in ER have huge health pools. Or alternatively you do pretty garbage damage unless you happen to have an upgraded weapon with the damage type the boss is weak against. Some of the boss attacks have also pretty tight dodges even for Souls veterans, like those Radahn arrows right at the start of the fight. I could get two shot by those at 27 vigor and you have very little time to dodge the first one. I am fine with the delayed attacks to keep you on your toes but the combos are often not clear enough if they are going to do more attacks than say 2 as there's often no way to anticipate if it's a 2 or 3+ hit and getting hit by any of the attacks in the combo often means you die as you get staggered just enough to eat another one.

At the same time the game gives you a lot of tools for fighting but not enough upgrade materials to really try them out to find which work for you and the whole "upgradable up to 20+" weapons is a bit ridiculous. It would have been better if NG+ opened up another upgrade tier so people can level up their weapons to match the added difficulty. I am about 55 hours in and currently have only 4 weapons updated to something like +13 or somber +5 levels yet I have like dozens of weapons in my inventory. If I want to try something new it's going to be farming time.

I'm glad From at least made vigor give you more HP per level because it's a bit silly that you have to invest more into that stat than any of the others just to survive. I think ER is going to be one of the most difficult From games for new players.

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
The giant HP pools are definitely a problem. While I felt that it was ok for e.g a massive dragon in DS3 to have a huge health pool, it feels like a whole lot of enemies in ER have huge health pools. Or alternatively you do pretty garbage damage unless you happen to have an upgraded weapon with the damage type the boss is weak against. Some of the boss attacks have also pretty tight dodges even for Souls veterans, like those Radahn arrows right at the start of the fight. I could get two shot by those at 27 vigor and you have very little time to dodge the first one. I am fine with the delayed attacks to keep you on your toes but the combos are often not clear enough if they are going to do more attacks than say 2 as there's often no way to anticipate if it's a 2 or 3+ hit and getting hit by any of the attacks in the combo often means you die as you get staggered just enough to eat another one.

At the same time the game gives you a lot of tools for fighting but not enough upgrade materials to really try them out to find which work for you and the whole "upgradable up to 20+" weapons is a bit ridiculous. It would have been better if NG+ opened up another upgrade tier so people can level up their weapons to match the added difficulty. I am about 55 hours in and currently have only 4 weapons updated to something like +13 or somber +5 levels yet I have like dozens of weapons in my inventory. If I want to try something new it's going to be farming time.

I'm glad From at least made vigor give you more HP per level because it's a bit silly that you have to invest more into that stat than any of the others just to survive. I think ER is going to be one of the most difficult From games for new players.
Its not the new players who are having problems adjusting to the higher weapon levels, higher stat soft caps, and greater amount of vigor required in this (much longer) game. These are problems hitting long-time players who are sort of mentally stuck in their old ways.

Icarian

May 9, 2018
I'm not sure why folks bother rune farming in this game? They hand them out like candy just playing normally. I stopped leveling at SL150 and had like 3M+ by the end of my play through…

There's people that simply want to steamroll through the game and level to 200-300, maybe go into the 500's or even 713.

If you invade you can see people co-oping with VASTLY leveled phantoms, rocking super heavy armor and spamming magic for days because they have 80 MND and END, stats get scaled down but FP/equip load doesn't, it's somewhat common.

Then there's people that do low or mid level runs but upgrade every spirit ash and all kinds of weapons to spice things up, I did this myself, I stopped leveling at 70 and weapons at +15 but I still burned through my runes buying all those upgrade materials and upgrading stuff. It would take a lot more runes for people that level weapons to +24 / +9. I didn't have to purposely farm for runes but I did it indirectly by killing so much stuff while trying different weapons and armors.

KCroxtonJr

Oct 28, 2017

My experience through the game (completely offline) was that the higher health pools and more common AoE attacks were probably an effort to balance the game around the player having access to spirit summons. I made use of them any chance I could get, and it never pretty much never felt like enemies too way too long to kill. Radahn was the only fight I truly struggled with, I ended up beating him by just riding Torrent around at a distance while re-summoning every NPC over and over until they killed him, which took a very long time lol.

I also think the game being a LOT more open can result in you being very unprepared for some situations, while another person who took a very different path or use a different build would have had a much easier time. For example, I beat Malenia my first try with no problem at all, she wasn't even remotely tough for me. I stayed away from everything Elden Ring during my playthrough to avoid spoilers, so after I beat the game I was surprised to see so many people struggle against her. On the other hand, seeing people defeat Radahn so easily blew my mind as there was absolutely no way I was beating him in a normal fight without being way over leveled.

In the end, Elden Ring felt like an entire trilogy in one game for me, taking me almost 100 hours to beat and still missing out on many things. So while it was strange at first being a much higher level than other souls games by the end, as well as having to level up weapons more than usual, it made sense considering the vast amount of content in the game.

I do hope in the next game they are less restrictive on being able to experiment with different builds and weapons, they don't have to give materials out like candy but it also shouldn't be almost impossible to experiment with or fix your build until late/end game without farming/exploits.

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Didn't know that was a tear that was available... that's crazy. Surely only lasts a few seconds?

I think it lasts around 10-15 seconds? Definitely long enough to go through the Elden Stars cast at least, which should be enough to carry through the rest of the fight. It just absorbs all forms of non-physical damage so useful elsewhere too

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017

For me as I am right now I just want an easy spot to get an influx of runes to +9/+24 any weapon that catches my fancy.

That requires about 100-130k runes.

onibirdo

Dec 9, 2020
I do hope in the next game they are less restrictive on being able to experiment with different builds and weapons, they don't have to give materials out like candy but it also shouldn't be almost impossible to experiment with or fix your build until late/end game without farming/exploits.
I just wish there was a way to move your '+#' between weapons. Would've been a great feature.

radiogra

Jun 27, 2020
yeah i didn't farm while beating the game and was easily 150 too, but like others have said, i wanted to upgrade multiple weapons (think i got 7 regular to +25 and 4 sombering to +10 in NG) with my main character, and using the absurd rune farms makes it less of a pain to buy smithing stones.

but i also have been slightly over-leveling my 2nd to 6th(ish? lol) characters using the rune farm you can get early. i mean, i've already played through the game organically, if i wanna replay with a new character that has a different play-style, i wanna have that play-style for the majority of the play-through. it's always been a sorta problem (problem's maybe the wrong word, as the organic play-through is what's intended) with souls games, but in ER, being able to get cool weaps/spells early, and then getting the stats for some of the weirder builds makes it way more fun earlier on in a replay.

like, it helps get past the souls-y "i'm gonna replay as a mage now, except for the first 1/3 of the game i'm gonna have to play mostly like my first melee character anyway" thing.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
I can't speak for others, but for me it's the giant HP pools and the over-reliance on AoEs. The 'just strafe behind them' tactic has been an issue in their other games for sure and that needed to be tackled, but I also am not a fan of the keep away tactics that make the fights more annoying for largely melee-focused players like me. What it solves causes a different kind of annoyance that generally makes me enjoy the fights less than before.

There is also a string of other issues that have been becoming more common over each release, like the over-zealous tracking, the delayed attacks, the combos that have various mix-ups with very similar start-up animations, etc.

I totally get that some people thrive on this stuff, but I sure am not one of them. I preferred the balance they had before that made the fights in general a lot more entertaining for me. I don't envy them at all for trying to find a balance that pleases everyone.
I thought they were trying something different with Midir for giant foe type bosses but then they went back to belly hugging again in ER.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017

That's an issue that has been plaguing these games, you're really incentivized to stick to one weapon as much as you can, or have the divine foresight to know which weapon you want and where to get it.

Which again leads to people watching "TOP TEN MOST BROKEN WEAPONS!" videos to avoid those headaches- I myself had camp out in the fextralite wiki site for this purpose lol.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia

I know what you are saying, but honestly, I'm running a lv164 Intelligence build and it's still damn hard in the Capital. I want more levels because they give me more survivability, or maybe the chance to branch out into new builds without having to do a full respec, try out new armor, etc. And it's not like it buys me infinitely more damage potential due to the stat caps. Still plenty of enemies that can 2-3 hit a mage with 40+ vigor and medium armor.

If anything I feel like saving up runes is harder because the bosses are much more frequent and dangerous around this point in the game. Once you need 100k+ runes, it's a huge amount to gamble on unknown situations and thus a rune farm is much more enticing to clear a level and then get back to business.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Considering how bonkers difficult it gets after the capital I don't even condemn people grinding tons of levels

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Also, knowing that there's an easy accessible rune farm would help mitigate the salt that would come from inevitably losing them from a stupid jump.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I actually found barricade to be useless post nerf. Shorter duration and not as useful tanking big hits. I haven't tried it with a great shield though.

Barricade shield was hit with a nerf earlier too, no? Shorter duration, higher FP. It's not unusual for these games to have some massive shields where stamina loss isn't a concern. Am I misremembering?
I is just as good for bit hits. Cost and duration was the only nerf. You need to choose when to activate it now is all, not just set it and leave constantly.

Icarian

May 9, 2018
Which again leads to people watching "TOP TEN MOST BROKEN WEAPONS!" videos to avoid those headaches- I myself had camp out in the fextralite wiki site for this purpose lol.

Let's be honest here, people would watch those videos regardless if they had infinite smithing stones right out of the tutorial area.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
I always prefer buffing vs nerfing so thi s is a great update. I still think incantations are 90% trash for pvp but good improvement.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Only recently grabbed Swarm of Flies, and I'm not surprised it was nerfed.

A few fights I jsut stood there and spammed it and won. It stun-locked (end of Ranni's quest encounter spoiler) Blaidd with its bleed proc.

scatrapper

Nov 25, 2021
Just got to melania and noped out of it. I'm done, tried the end game boss yesterday and almost got him twice. Will probably get him next time.

I really liked the game, but it's starting to drag a bit towards the end. Started to skip optional bosses. Actually came to appreciate Sekiro a bit more whilst playing ER. Bloodborne still reigns supreme.

Deleted member 22002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't get what people's problem was with Elden Beast, got it in 2 tries. The Radagon/EB combo was one of the best fights at the end of a souls game for me.

Last edited:

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
I don't get what people's problem was with Elden Beast, got it in 2 tries. The Radahan/EB combo was one of the best fights at the end of a souls game for me.
I'm pretty new to Souls games, but Elden Beast wasn't too bad for me. I may have gotten lucky though. I did also find it to be a very bland fight, despite the attempt of making it feel epic and climactic. By comparison, I did think Radahan was extremely cool, but I didn't fight him at the end with Elden Beast, but like, after Godrick I think. It felt more natural and I had no idea it was mostly optional.

Red

Oct 26, 2017

A few fights I jsut stood there and spammed it and won. It stun-locked (end of Ranni's quest encounter spoiler) Blaidd with its bleed proc.
It's still fully capable of doing this tbh, just requires slightly more attention as the effect won't happen as often. It's still a powerful PvE spell against enemies that can bleed.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
The only bosses that gave me an issue were Crucible + Beast at Redmane (cause I was super low level there) and Malenia. Everything else was more or else mangable after couple of tries.

Hotbug

Dec 3, 2020
Read the whole patch notes, I don't see any metion of nerfing the Elden Beast?

FROM's patch notes have never been comprehensive, especially about enemy changes.

any stealth nerf/enhancement found?

You can check this thread for elaborations on the patch content-

Some boss changes:
  • For Crystalians, Pumpkin Heads, Abductor Virgins, and certain Erdtree Avatars that appear in groups, the whole group isn't full aggro all the time anymore (notably NOT in this list: Crucible Knight duo, Godskin duo)
  • Godskin Duo wait an extra 10 seconds before resurrecting each other
  • Elemer of the Briar waits an extra second to start attacking when you enter his arena
  • king_bore discusses a change to one of Elden Beast's projectile attacks but not changes to the boss's overall behavior
  • re: Malenia healing bug - her own code is unchanged

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Some boss changes:
  • For Crystalians, Pumpkin Heads, Abductor Virgins, and certain Erdtree Avatars that appear in groups, the whole group isn't full aggro all the time anymore (notably NOT in this list: Crucible Knight duo, Godskin duo)
Boooooooooooooo

Crucicle Knight Duo and Godskin Duo are so much fun to learn.

It's not nearly as broken or as stun-locking as the pre-nerf Swarm of Flies, but have you tried using Ancient Death Rancor? I had that paired with the Sword of Night and Flame and it made it extremely easy to hit enemies with the full Kamehameha beam.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
The swarm of flies change makes me a lot more likely to use the spell… I had to take it out of rotation near the end of my first time through because it was simply too effective. The game was boring when I used it. It feels like a better fit now.

Apr 3, 2020
Why does it need a nerf? Aside from it flying away from my STR melee character, it really wasn't so bad imo.

I didn't meant that lol (even never encountered the boss)

Someone metioned the boss got nerfed earlier, I honestly don't want any boss to be nerfed.

Some boss changes:
  • Elemer of the Briar waits an extra second to start attacking when you enter his arena
  • king_bore discusses a change to one of Elden Beast's projectile attacks but not changes to the boss's overall behavior
  • re: Malenia healing bug - her own code is unchanged

so only small changes, thanks for the info!

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
Boooooooooooooo

Crucicle Knight Duo and Godskin Duo are so much fun to learn.

marvel-is-it-though.gif

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Hell yeah, especially Godskin with the pillars they provide for some extra cover. To be fair, I fought them several times already due to their solo locations and the summoning snail, so I had failed enough times solo to have them both figured out. I think they're my two favorite enemies in the game.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
Personally, I'm not at level 100 but I'm at a point where the boss soul rewards combined with clearing their whole area, just isn't enough to get me another level. I've cleared nearly everything infront of where I need to go. But the area I need to go to, has some buck wild difficulty spikes.

Since there's like 8 million weapons, spells and summons I also want to give different things and try stuff out as well as actually bump up my levels. I can spend an hour grinding or kill five big crows for the same reward.

The boss/area souls get better the later the game goes on. Got to get there first.

Status
Not open for further replies.