• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xshade90

Nov 2, 2017
For the frost stomp, it seems to me very nerfed, but on the stamina level consuption, it's has not been reduced that much, I still can spam it a lot. I think it's still a good tool to use, but while mixing it up with other attacks and spells.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
A thing I noticed re: Radahn is that Caelid is listed after Altus Plateau and Leyndell in the Grace menu on the world map. Which speaks to Caelid possibly being the last part of the game they finished implementing fully, and could explain why it feels so overtuned for where you access it.
Ya I think opening the map and pressing Y gives you the intended order of the game

this
game_progress_route_map_elden_ring_wiki_guide_2560px.jpg
is probably what a lot of people used, but it is not in order, and sorta implies 90 is the SL to beat the game at when I think it is something like 120

calder

Oct 25, 2017
If you can beat Margit you can beat Morgott honestly. It's a very underwhelming fight if you're at all levelled.

I beat Margit first try because I had been enjoying exploring so much I was overleveled. Sadly that's not the case anymore, and Godfrey killed me pretty quick when I stumbled into him a few days ago so I think I have to beat him to get to Margott. I have finished most of the rest of the capitol though now so maybe I'll try again.

I will still 10000% try to cheese Morgott though if he kills me once though ;)

calder

Oct 25, 2017
For the frost stomp, it seems to me very nerfed, but on the stamina level consuption, it's has not been reduced that much, I still can spam it a lot. I think it's still a good tool to use, but while mixing it up with other attacks and spells.

I never found froststomp to be nearly as broken as other people claimed, but I think it was because I often tried it in places where it wouldn't work consistently due to terrain. I still found it quite handy today to use it to clear a small group of low-ish level soldiers in Leyndell in 2-3 stomps, which is probably what it was intended for.

EDIT: good they nerfed Radahn, he was bullshit. I did the rotten breath strat and it still took me 10 tries just because of his silly amount of random one-hit kill moves.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
Also I gotta say, all these people just casually murdering NPCs…

You guys are so cruel. ;)

Back in the day we mostly only killed them either in the end game before going to NG+ or whatever, or when you put your controller down, accidentally R2 someone, and they aggro on you forever (or till you absolve your sins).

Killing someone because they have a nice hat you want is just mean.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Just turned the game on... goddamn, what'd they do to my boy? Hoarfrost Stomp? More like Hoarfrost Flop.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
If this isn't sarcasm then this post perfectly shows why the Souls community can be immature and elitist sometimes.

Right? What is it with some people taking the release patch(es) as gospel and cry foul? Clearly this contains many good fixes and improvements overall. Like, vice versa no one would ask for Bloody Slash to become twice as strong or s.th.

And Radahn certainly had issues that made him frustrating. I gave up on horseback fighting him because it was so common to get some halfhearted hit that one-shot horsey and left you screwed. So some hitboxes tweaks and the like sound just fine.

Gwynn

Mar 2, 2019
You can complain because they made minor changes for the mimic and all, but it's immature and elitist because you don't like a boss nerf ? Lmao.

lmao you must have me confused with someone else, I don't even have the mimic in my playthrough. I just told someone to adapt with the nerfs.

Please feel free to go through my post history.

Run Goku

Oct 25, 2017
I beat Radahn yesterday and then he gets nerfed today....doesn't that just figure, lol. I was stuck on him for like a week (took me forever because I stubbornly didn't want to summon the NPCs)...but it needed to be done and I look forward to seeing the difference firsthand next time around.

I am, however, bummed that I will never get to see the Mimic Tear in its original form. Just couldn't get that far before the patch.

OP
OP
SoulsHunt

SoulsHunt

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
lmao you must have me confused with someone else, I don't even have the mimic in my playthrough.

Please feel free to go through my post history.
I believe you, and I don't care if people use it or not. Mimic is still good, thankful. I don't understand why I'm being immature and elitist though.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Is the end of Nepheli's quest really her just disappearing and leaving two axes? lol

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
I hope radahn is still a fun fight.

Lost sinner is a terrible fight post nerf (I only played post nerf no idea how original feels)

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I believe you, and I don't care if people use it or not. Mimic is still good, thankful. I don't understand why I'm being immature and elitist though.
As these conversations go, any time you talk about something being a good challenge for you, a group of people will always read that to imply that you are putting them down. Because reasons.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Lmao they really nerfed Radahn ? Surprised. Disappointed by FromSoftware. This is bad.
Honestly just sad they nerfed anything. As I've learned from this thread, there should only be buffs. They really should've buffed every boss up to Radahn's level. Did they not watch Core-A gaming prior to working on this patch?

Clay

Oct 29, 2017

Because you care about a boss in a game being made easier. A boss that multiple people in the OT said was making them contemplate quitting the game. That many people said felt like bullshit.

You're 'disappointed' that they made the game a better experience for a majority of players… why exactly?

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
Everyone likes to say "Don't beat your head against Margit, go explore instead!" when the exact same advice should have applied to Radahn as well. If you left him and came back later he was perfectly doable solo without relying on Torrent or cheese strats. He's just a normal ass Dark Souls boss when you're on foot.

That being said he doesn't give enough runes to warrant being done later in the game so I feel like this nerf makes sense as they clearly expect you to fight him earlier.

Rainer516

Oct 29, 2017
Did a co-op of Radahn to test this out. It's still a great fight through and through. Changes are minimal.

I'm a higher level than when I took him on last, but the fight is pretty much the same in terms of flow and any ease I have now can probably be chalked up to extra Vigor.

OP
OP
SoulsHunt

SoulsHunt

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Because you care about a boss in a game being made easier. A boss that multiple people in the OT said was making them contemplate quitting the game. That many people said felt like bullshit.

You're 'disappointed' that they made the game a better experience for a majority of players… why exactly?
Felt like bullshit, but actually isn't bullshit, that's the thing. If we follow your logic, just nerf every boss so people will have better experience.

Mine won't be better, I already think Radahn isn't that hard, now it's even less hard. Not a better experience for me as I will play it through NGs. Anyway.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really glad they improved the smithing stone situation. That was certainly among the worst designed features in Elden Ring, and it's not even a new issue either. DS3 and co. suffered from the very same problem.

On my first playthrough, I literally stuck to my damned Lordsworn's Straight Sword drop from the very beginning because you have virtually no room for experimentation when it takes fricking 12 Smithing Stones [1] just to get level 3. And you're just not finding that many and most won't be fortunate enough to find the respective miner bells early either.

It's downright cumbersome to try and gauge if an unupgraded weapon might be worth it. Ideally, I could go "oh neat, let's try this" and just swap it in for a bit and decide. But that doesn't work when any damage comparisons fall flat between upgraded and un-upgraded weapons. If there was at least some training area (make up some nifty lore explanation, not like there isn't plenty weirdness in the game already) where I can easily go to and test if I like how new weapon fares compared to an old one, then I could deal with it. But alas, I get a seemingly cool weapon drop and...just ignore it. And grinding for smithing stones (without just buying them via bells) is about the worst thing anyone could do for their enjoyment.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Radhan was way harder than anything after him until you are out of the Capital, so the nerf seems reasonable IMO

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017

The thing about Radahn is that he shows up way earlier than you can usually beat him but is entirely optional and is only blocking parts of the game that are also really hard, so should they nerf all of that stuff too? The problem with the fight is one that's really hard to change after launch, they can't patch how the open world is structured to hide him more deeply.

That he has a 6 tier stone outside his arena should have been a sign post saying "don't fight this guy with less than a +19 weapon"

I expect the nerfed version to be less satisfying to fight the way I fought him (solo melee) but will be much better at delivering the spectacle that was clearly intended so the nerf is probably justified, tbh.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Everyone likes to say "Don't beat your head against Margit, go explore instead!" when the exact same advice should have applied to Radahn as well. If you leave him and come back later when you've leveled more he was perfectly doable solo without a horse or cheese strats. He's just a normal ass Dark Souls boss when you're on foot.

That being said he doesn't give enough runes to warrant being done later in the game so I feel like this nerf makes sense as they clearly expect you to fight him earlier in the game.

Caelid is pretty weird in general. It doesn't seem like there's much of a consensus of when you should go there. I've seen a bunch of people recommend going there after Stormveil, other after the Lake, other after or alongside the Plateau… I've also seen people break it down by area, even though it's not really all that big. The western portion is "early" content, south should be done later, north even later, etc.

I don't know that it's a problem. It can be satisfying to come across a difficult area, leave, and come back a bunch of levels later. But Caelid feels like a way, way higher variance in difficulty than any other area. Some of the caves and dungeons don't feel all that harder than the Lake. The enemies in Ft. Faroth were still fucking me up well into the later parts of the game. I can see why people find it frustrating.

DustyVonErich

Oct 31, 2017
Speaking of boss updates:

Fallingstar beast in the sellia crystal tunnel which I spent some time finessing one or two weeks ago got nerfed straight up. It doesn't have an eye, doesn't cast any of the insane gravity/bolt aoe it used to, and it spawns while laying down as opposed to ramming you as soon as you enter the boss area.
It's funny how different people have different experiences due to play style, gear, etc.

I was lucky to beat it in a few tries pre-nerf thanks to my Skeleton Militiamen respawning continuously and drawing agro. I love these guys :)

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone likes to say "Don't beat your head against Margit, go explore instead!" when the exact same advice should have applied to Radahn as well. If you left him and came back later he was perfectly doable solo without relying on Torrent or cheese strats. He's just a normal ass Dark Souls boss when you're on foot.

That being said he doesn't give enough runes to warrant being done later in the game so I feel like this nerf makes sense as they clearly expect you to fight him earlier.

he gives like 70,000 runes, that's enough for a level and a half way up to level 90 or so.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
About Rivers of Blood... I think it's really good but I don't think it's broken OP tier like the stomp and stuff. It's also a very late weapon.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
The thing about Radahn is that he shows up way earlier than you can usually beat him but is entirely optional and is only blocking parts of the game that are also really hard, so should they nerf all of that stuff too? The problem with the fight is one that's really hard to change after launch, they can't patch how the open world is structured to hide him more deeply.

That he has a 6 tier stone outside his arena should have been a sign post saying "don't fight this guy with less than a +19 weapon"

I expect the nerfed version to be less satisfying to fight the way I fought him (solo melee) but will be much better at delivering the spectacle that was clearly intended so the nerf is probably justified, tbh.

That seems like a ridiculous assumption, lol. What if it's the first 6 tier stone you've found? Why would you think "oh, clearly I should come back after I've found 11 more of these?" Why would it be wrong to think "oh cool, I only need a couple more 5s to finish that tier of upgrades, I must be in the right place."

If you just skim through the OT it's beyond obvious that you're in a small minority of people who enjoyed that fight.

I get what you're saying about the difficulty, I also find it silly when people claim they're going to give up on the game because of him, he's optional. You can go back later. But there's been a TON of negative feedback, it's not surprising at all they've chosen to nerf him.

We have no idea why they chose to do that too. Maybe for whatever reason they assumed most people would keep going north from Limgrave. The game does point you toward the Lake and then the Plateau. I don't remember ever being told "You should go to Caelid now." But maybe they're looking at data and seeing that many people are doing Caelid early than they expected and felt a change was warranted.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Felt like bullshit, but actually isn't bullshit, that's the thing. If we follow your logic, just nerf every boss so people will have better experience.

Mine won't be better, I already think Radahn isn't that hard, now it's even less hard. Not a better experience for me as I will play it through NGs. Anyway.

Like I said before, if you even skim through the OT it's very clear that Radahn and
Godskin Duo
are the two most generally hated bosses. There's other people complain about, but most are optional and/ or endgame (yes, I know Radahn is technically optional too).

That's cool you liked the fight. But it shouldn't be surprising that From is making decisions based on the many people who hate the fight and not the handful who enjoyed it.

And I get what you're saying to an extent. You could make the case that if they nerf the most annoying boss people will just start fussing about the next most annoying boss. But again, it's obvious Radahn is uniquely annoying for a lot of people. And, minor spoilers,
unlike some of the other bosses that piss people off there's entire zones and quest lines locked behind beating him, and to me they seemed like things you're meant to do around the middle of the game, not as endgame stuff you go back to after getting close to the end.

If that wasn't the case I'd feel more strongly about not wanting them to nerf him. As it is I'm pretty ambivalent. He didn't frustrate me personally, but it wasn't even close to being one of my favorite fights. I don't think a nerf was really necessary, there's easy ways to cheese him and you can just come back later. But I also don't think anyone is missing out on anything by experiencing the nerfed version.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I was intellectually curious how far I can get in this game without cheats, but playing w/o patch is sort of cheating as well, eh? What about people who platinumed the game already, do they need to redo it, if they want a sense of "accomplishment" everyone was talking about?
You're giving way too much of a fuck about "From Software fan culture" when you reach this point.

It's still just a video game and you should do whatever the hell you want to find enjoyment as an individual, as if the internet doesn't even exist.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
he gives like 70,000 runes, that's enough for a level and a half way up to level 90 or so.

That's more than I remember and Godfrey in the capital only gives 80,000. So yeah, originally he was probably intended to be fought after you'd done everything up to the capital. People were just going there way too early, bashing their head against him, and calling him bad as a result. It's a great fight and hopefully this change means more people will see that.