• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 29, 2017
It didn't even do the rings? That's its trademark "wow" move! They even sync the music to it. That's terrible if it doesn't do the rings anymore.
Nope, started the fight with the "holy breath" as always then it was just three sword swipes combo x4 > holy spikes projectile attack > three sword swipes combo x4 > .... and keep that cycle going

I fought it like four times I think to get the win and it was like that in all of them, really lame

RomanticHeroX

Oct 27, 2017
I just wanted to see what was behind the cool looking door under the capital and I don't feel like the consequences for doing so were very well explained. Obviously characters said it wasn't a great idea but I didn't realize opening the door was the same as agreeing to everything with it, and I'm definitely not used to choices like that in From games being somewhat irreversible. I'm going through the steps now to partially reverse it but it's honestly kind of put a damper on the experience. I'm dozens of hours in and it's getting much harder and I'm going through so many hoops to just undo something I didn't really want to do to start with.

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
I just wanted to see what was behind the cool looking door under the capital and I don't feel like the consequences for doing so were very well explained. Obviously characters said it wasn't a great idea but I didn't realize opening the door was the same as agreeing to everything with it, and I'm definitely not used to choices like that in From games being somewhat irreversible. I'm going through the steps now to partially reverse it but it's honestly kind of put a damper on the experience. I'm dozens of hours in and it's getting much harder and I'm going through so many hoops to just undo something I didn't really want to do to start with.

ehh, to be fair to the game it straight up tells you multiple times not to go through the door.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
This being my first From Software game I'm curious if I only love this game because the open world gives me the ability to tolerate some of the bullshit.

Finished this in ~150 hours, level 175, saw all the endings, best every dungeon/boss/catacomb/etc..

If I were to give another one of these games a try, would Bloodborne be the one to go to? Or would anyone recommend something else?
I'm gonna be extremely weird and recommend DS2. It's not open world, but it's definitely "open format" in a way that kind of emulates ER. It presents a lot of branches where if you think somewhere you are currently at is too hard/boring/whatever you can just...go a different route.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
Does equipping a Great Rune without Rune Arc do anything at all? The tutorial said Rune Arcs "further enhance" the Great Rune which implies there is some base effect, or is that just incorrect?

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Does equipping a Great Rune without Rune Arc do anything at all? The tutorial said Rune Arcs "further enhance" the Great Rune which implies there is some base effect, or is that just incorrect?
That's incorrect. They do nothing without using a Rune Arc.

What they may have meant to convey is that a Rune Arc by itself will boost your health a bit, which is in the item description.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
User Banned (1 Month): Intentionally antagonizing other users with drive-by, trolling, history of similar infractions
I didn't want to start a thread for this question, so I figure I'll just pop into this thread and see if a side bar discussion is possible.

This is kind of inflammatory I think, given the nature of this fanbase, but brace yourselves:

Why do FROM fan make so many excuses for this developer? Poor controls, terrible button layout, generation spanning performance issues, and very little experimentation or iteration...so why is this developer immune to criticisms that absolutely level other studios?

Most recently with Elden Ring, it seems like From has their head so far up their own asses that it works to the detriment of their games. Instead of asking themselves questions, it feels like they just charged forward with whatever they put on paper or had in their head.

So why are all of these shortcomings overlooked and excused?

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK

RomanticHeroX

Oct 27, 2017

You're locked into an ending now (unless you jump through all those hoops) but it doesn't affect much else. It's not like Sekiro where it prevents you from going to the final zone.

Yeah, I'm trying to jump through them now because it doesn't seem like an ending I want. I'm just sad an interesting character just completely abandoned me.
Her saying goodbye to Torrent is just the extra twist of the knife. I'm sorry Torrent!

Anonymous Tipster

The Fallen
Nov 4, 2017
I didn't want to start a thread for this question, so I figure I'll just pop into this thread and see if a side bar discussion is possible.

This is kind of inflammatory I think, given the nature of this fanbase, but brace yourselves:

Why do FROM fan make so many excuses for this developer? Poor controls, terrible button layout, generation spanning performance issues, and very little experimentation or iteration...so why is this developer immune to criticisms that absolutely level other studios?

Most recently with Elden Ring, it seems like From has their head so far up their own asses that it works to the detriment of their games. Instead of asking themselves questions, it feels like they just charged forward with whatever they put on paper or had in their head.

I guess the short answer is that not everyone agrees with your criticisms and you hold a likely minority view on them.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm trying to jump through them now because it doesn't seem like an ending I want. I'm just sad an interesting character just completely abandoned me.
Her saying goodbye to Torrent is just the extra twist of the knife. I'm sorry Torrent!

Let's just say there are pros and cons to the choice you made wrt the point of no return.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017

Are you questioning Lord Miyazaki's vision?

The man gave birth to video games as we know it, surely there is a deeper meaning to all the design decisions in this game that we are just too ignorant to understand.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017

What shortcomings? Where it counts - level design, variety, art direction, exploration, strategizing, etc. - Elden Ring is practically peerless.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019

This is definitely inflammatory like you said, though I don't think it's the fanbase to blame. 🥴

Your criticisms are sort of vague and wide ranging so I can't help but read it like you're spoiling for a fight.

BUT! I will engage with you and just say that if you've actually followed the OTs, there has been a lot of back and forth discussion about all of this from people who do like these games. I know I've been a complainer at times about the button layout, and definitely have cried about how "safe" this game feels--both for a Souls game and for an Open world game.

These conversations are happening, but mostly between people who still think the game is good overall, so you're not seeing a lot of fireworks I guess.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017

Like every other highly rated game, it's a sum of its parts. If the positives outweigh the negatives, the negatives become easier to forgive.

It's like this in every highly rated title. Witcher 3 and its controls, Skyrim and it's bugs, etc.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone having crashing issues?

Twice in the last week I've had to validate my Steam game files. Each time it found 2 issues and had to replace them.

Friend has also had to do this twice in the last ~10 days.

Level 107, +19 weapon. Where should I be?

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017

This is it for me:
Like every other highly rated game, it's a sum of its parts. If the positives outweigh the negatives, the negatives become easier to forgive.

It's like this in every highly rated title. Witcher 3 and its controls, Skyrim and it's bugs, etc.

I think the only real flaw on the game is not having a journal to remind you about NPC's. I'm nearing 90 hours. I know I can write stuff down but I would prefer just having it in game.

Controls aren't poor for me. Disagree on terrible button layout. They have had performance issues, it's sadly part of the dev house.
Very little experimentation/iteration? Explain this to me. How do you look at DeS -> Dark1/2/3 -> Blood -> Sekiro -> Elden and say very little changes? Elden Ring to me is the sum of everything that's come before it. I hope they keep improving on the formula, the game is amazing.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Erm... So.... 20 Arc does work... And frighteningly well.

She fucking melted. Never saw a single Waterfowl.

EDIT: oh right, it wasn't even a +10, only +9 😅
Ok cool. And yup, every time people say overleveling or summoning or co op didn't work, I recommend RoB, as that weapon is better than any of those aforementioned options.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Ok cool. And yup, every time people say overleveling or summoning or co op didn't work, I recommend RoB, as that weapon is better than any of those aforementioned options.

I'm a bit in shock because it was just the first attempt and I wasn't expecting it to work so well.

Full disclosure- I also used a mimic +10 and loaded it up with frost spells, a cold Uchigatana with summoned swords ash and RoB.

And she just melted from everything.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Feels like I'm never going to get through this game. Leyndell almost had me ready to quit. It's not even hard, just a tedious section to get through. Feels like Sites of Grace are pretty thin here too.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017

First up, the controls are central to what I like about the game, and I think a lot of players will agree. You list button layout and controls separately and both the way the controls work with animation priority giving everything a heavy real-time-strategy feeling and the button layout where my left hand controls the character's left side and the right hand the right side are a deep part of the appeal. It's not making excuses, I genuinely love the way the game controls... and the only thing I don't like I have criticized in this very thread (the way two handing works in this game vs the previous ones is pretty awkward so I don't swap between one and two handing as often as I'd like to.)

The performance issues suck and most of us agree it would be nice if they could get their shit together on that front but there's not much reason to derail the OT talking about it when there are separate threads for it and since many of us are playing the PS4 version on PS5 where it has 60 fps consistently the whole way through the game.

Iteration? If anything I wish they had iterated less from Dark Souls 1 in 2 and 3. Each game they've made in the last 13 years is a distinct flavor of the kind of game they've invented. When you make a game as influential and well loved as Demon's Souls, you're allowed to make 7 games in that style that each do something different with the formula. If anything, people *hated* DS2 at launch for changing too many things. Sekiro is a complete inversion of Souls, Bloodborne took away our shields, Elden Ring adds Guard Counters, Jumping, Ash Summons, Ash of War system, paintings, and an Open World (and a bunch of other new stuff...)

As to what you mean in the last thing, I've played 170 hours and have enjoyed everything except how much health the Fire Giant has. Maybe these games aren't for you or aren't fully to your taste, and that's fine, but I'm certainly not "giving them a pass" or anything when they are making pretty much exactly the game I want them to make? I've got to sit with it a bit and beat it a few more times but Elden Ring is easily in my top 3 favorite games of all time.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Started a new game using a strength build. Around level 45. Finding it pretty easy so far, save for the limgrave crucible knight. Haven't got that one yet.

I enjoy the change of pace. But: I wanted this build to be bare except for weapons, and was hoping to get some mileage out of the blue dancer charm. But it's ass. At 16 equip load my weapon goes from 295->301 attack. What the hell kind of advantage is that

Powerstancing greatswords at the moment. Both are divine affinity. One's got golden vow and the other has golden slash. I never used golden slash before and it's kind of great. Knocks out most overworld mobs and powers up my weapon for 20 seconds even if it misses. Not bad.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
Trying out Raptor of the Mists for the first time and its pretty fun but man so many attacks go right over your head when you use it.

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017
Question on Carian Study Hall
Can you climb the vertical spiral staircase you see in the normal version or is it just a reference to Demon's Souls?

calder

Oct 25, 2017
I almost randomly found the Golden Order Greatsword and *loved* the look of it, so I put a couple of points in Faith to be able to use it just to see it. Holy shit, it's a fucking gem of a sword, looks amazing and the weapon art is legit great. As long as you don't fight end game shit resistant to holy obvs.

I'm a mage with barely any points in str/fth and it's so damn fun to use I may respec.

Vo24aC7.jpg

Night Terror

Feb 1, 2018
I almost randomly found the Golden Order Greatsword and *loved* the look of it, so I put a couple of points in Faith to be able to use it just to see it. Holy shit, it's a fucking gem of a sword, looks amazing and the weapon art is legit great. As long as you don't fight end game shit resistant to holy obvs.

I'm a mage with barely any points in str/fth and it's so damn fun to use I may respec.

Vo24aC7.jpg

IIRC it's also highly effective (AKA kills) Those Who Live in Dead, so it's a win-win!

Sunnz

Apr 16, 2019
Been trying out a lot of weapons ashes to see what I can get the most damage with

After 5 or so hours, lots of respeccing and getting talismans and such, the most I have got is 7.5k to 8k damage with the godslayer greatsword black flame attack.
No buffs and only talisman it's still about 4.8 to 5k.

Have to hit both attacks so useless in PvP but pve, while difficult for some bosses, is mental and deletes. Does good stagger on all 3 hits.
can get this higher too if I can respec better I feel.

3.3k with destined death is great too and does a good knockback on most enemies. More versatile too.

Blasphemous sword I got to 3.1k but is dodged by some enemies.

Thundercloud form about 3k but can sometimes miss. No charging is 1.8 and actually good for PvP( do it just before they do any attack and you most likely will get them, got to be quite close, as most have low vigor it's instant kill)

Anything else that hits very hard? ( outside of actual magic)
I love testing stuff a lot, just with larval tears were not limited.

Icarian

May 9, 2018
I've been hitting NPCs bare handed on my NG+ run to see their reaction and it's funny how Kenneth, of all of them, goes FULL HAM when you hit him. The other NPCs in Limgrave say a thing or two before turning hostile, but Kenneth, the only one that directly asks for help, goes "So you've chosen death, then." at the first sign of aggression lol.

Alexander tells you that you're hitting his face and to turn around if you hit him from the front.

Sunnz

Apr 16, 2019
I've been hitting NPCs bare handed on my NG+ run to see their reaction and it's funny how Kenneth, of all of them, goes FULL HAM when you hit him. The other NPCs in Limgrave say a thing or two before turning hostile, but Kenneth, the only one that directly asks for help, goes "So you've chosen death, then." at the first sign of aggression lol.

Alexander tells you that you're hitting his face and to turn around if you hit him from the front.
As long as you don't dare to touch
pope turtle and millicent
all is good and fair game.

limone

Feb 4, 2022
Italy

Don't touch Roderika, you monster!

I noticed that RoB trend in PvP is finished, I don't find them anymore.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Never have I felt cheated by dodging and hitboxes in older titles than in Eldin Ring except DS2.

Ffs I played Bloodborne on PSNow on PC and never having trouble dodging

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
Been trying out a lot of weapons ashes to see what I can get the most damage with

After 5 or so hours, lots of respeccing and getting talismans and such, the most I have got is 7.5k to 8k damage with the godslayer greatsword black flame attack.
No buffs and only talisman it's still about 4.8 to 5k.

Have to hit both attacks so useless in PvP but pve, while difficult for some bosses, is mental and deletes. Does good stagger on all 3 hits.
can get this higher too if I can respec better I feel.

3.3k with destined death is great too and does a good knockback on most enemies. More versatile too.

Blasphemous sword I got to 3.1k but is dodged by some enemies.

Thundercloud form about 3k but can sometimes miss. No charging is 1.8 and actually good for PvP( do it just before they do any attack and you most likely will get them, got to be quite close, as most have low vigor it's instant kill)

Anything else that hits very hard? ( outside of actual magic)
I love testing stuff a lot, just with larval tears were not limited.

Royal Greatsword might be worth a go, you can get attack rating over 1000 with the right build, though it needs a lot of intelligence to be most effective.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Whoa. 4 player co op mod that allows your session to be seamless, you don't get sent back upon death and you can all use your mounts? Sign me up.

Beacons are visible to everyone
you can vote for where to teleport too.
You can all access the hub together and talk to npcs
Can all access bonfires together
This is amazing.

PCGamesN

Last edited:

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
is it stupid to run with both Radagon's scarseal and Marika's scarseal..? i love the boost in stats (i also have Godrick's Rune activated at all times because i have a 100+ Rune Arcs hehe).

it seems like the added damage taken doesnt stack too badly, but i dunno..

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Whoa. 4 player co op mod that allows your session to be seamless, you don't get sent back upon death and you can all use your mounts? Sign me up.

Beacons are visible to everyone
you can vote for where to teleport too.
You can all access the hub together and talk to npcs
Can all access bonfires together
This is amazing.

PCGamesN

This is the coolest shit

Bless the modding community

Shame my friends and I all marathoned the hell out of the game already in multiplayer. To be fair to Elden ring it is actually the least restrictive of all of its titles with regards to multiplayer but I see the appeal of this mod clear as day

At least some of these features should be the new standard and hopefully they can push the multiplayer numbers back up to 6 or more in future titles. I miss the 6 player chaos of DS3!

Bravo to these creators though for real! Amazing what is possible with mods

Dec 20, 2017

Not sure what the point of this post is other then to be inflammatory. I'll just say this: It's extremely insulting to come into a thread of a game that's received pretty much universal accolades from players and reviewers alike, a game that was obvious a labor of love by the developers where they no doubt put countless hours into crafting a finely honed experience for long term fans and to say that they "have their heads up their asses". Not exactly a good way to start a meaningful conversation about any perceived shortcomings with the game.

Dec 12, 2017
Not sure what the point of this post is other then to be inflammatory. I'll just say this: It's extremely insulting to come into a thread of a game that's received pretty much universal accolades from players and reviewers alike, a game that was obvious a labor of love by the developers where they no doubt put countless hours into crafting a finely honed experience for long term fans and to say that they "have their heads up their asses". Not exactly a good way to start a meaningful conversation about any perceived shortcomings with the game.
The point is to spark actual debate rather than get the constant handwaving this game gets From die hards.

So we're supposed to ignore core issues because game devs worked hard on it? That's ridiculous and just another excuse to handwave major issues

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Don't touch Roderika, you monster!
She can't be hurt. If you try she says something like "I understand how you feel but you're wasting your energy".

Lmao this game has some of the worst platforming mechanics ever. I swear reviewers never played after Stormhill
If I reviewed this game I would give it 11 out of 10, essential rating, best game of all time, greatest bargain in the history of money. I've played for almost 400 hours and finished it four times.

Some (some) of the platforming is aggravating, but most of it is fine, and it lowers my review score from 12 out of 10.

Last edited:

Icarian

May 9, 2018

Given the nature of this fanbase?

You should elaborate what exactly do you mean with poor controls because it comes across as "I don't like it, therefore it is bad".

Button layout can be remapped to whatever you want to, at least on PC, not that I ever needed to remap anything, default controls are mapped perfectly fine IMO, the only iffy thing is L3 being the crouch button but that's more of a controller thing than anything else.

You don't know what you're talking about if you say there has been little experimentation from Demon's souls to Elden Ring, that's pure bait unless you also think FPSs had no iteration or experimentation at all since Quake released. They went from a stage-like based game to an open world game.

As for performance issues, there has always been a lot of criticism about this and for a good reason, FROM is not immune to that kind of criticism at all, but people also blow it out of proportion, the games are kind of a mess tech wise but they're still perfectly playable, so most "regular" (people that doesn't spend hours and hours on videogame communities) players don't make a fuss about it, and they're the vast majority. It would be another story if the game constantly crashed, ran at 20 fps, corrupted save files, and so on.

Might as well explain what do you mean by "working to the detriment of their games".

People are more willing to look past shortcomings if the game as a whole is good.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
You should elaborate what exactly do you mean with poor controls because it comes across as "I don't like it, therefore it is bad".
Not to speak for the other guy, but my biggest complaint about the controls is that the way you switch spells/items is clunky as hell. I started off trying to do some kind of battle mage build, but respecced out of it as soon as I could because it was just so obnoxious trying to get the right things selected at the right time.

Also being locked out from cycling weapons because there happens to be a bloodstain and a message beneath you is awful.

Dec 12, 2017
She can't be hurt. If you try she says something like "I understand how you feel but you're wasting your energy".

If I reviewed this game I would give it 11 out of 10, essential rating, best game of all time, greatest bargain in the history of money. I've played for almost 400 hours and finished it four times.

Some (some) of the platforming is aggravating, but most of it is fine, and it lowers my review score from 12 out of 10.
I hear the sarcasm lol, but FS stans say this shit but can't quantify how long it took you to do it. There are so many posts of I did this to beat such and such boss with almost no note of how long it took.

And that's AFTER respeccing an entire build.

Sorry but taking 60 tries to beat Malenia is so wack. Especially when you need a specific build to even have a remote chance.

That's never been Soulsbourne. I know Soulsbourne put Renalla in out of pure laziness like every DS game but the differences in late game were never this drastic

And every FS stan will ignore this post and keep their glory for taking 4 hours to beat and respeccing to do it.

Edi: Lol the poster I replied to literally just ignored this post. Just saying

Last edited: