• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
I have not tried mimic yet.

My current loadout is a dex/int Moonveil spamming build. I do have a bunch of spells I could use though.

I actually tried bringing a secondary weapon with quick step to see if it's better for dodging waterfowl- switching weapon is too slow, it's just better to run.

But I did use my summoned swords again and that seems to help alot to keep me at a distant while still dealing stagger damage

EDIT: Holy shit there are only FOUR great ghost glovewort in the entire game??
Switch to Rivers of Blood. Its stronger than any summon against her.

Icarian

May 9, 2018
Summoned another player for the first time in ER at Margitt NG+ (Lv 74 and +15 weapon) and he was smacked so hard he barely knew what happened haha.

I played solo for two full playthroughs on two different characters, I'm going to summon for all bosses in NG+ just for the sake of it, I was actually surprised at the amount of summoning signs, they were stacked on top of each other lol. When people send their summoning signs with effigies do they get sent everywhere? Because It's weird seeing so many at Margitt at that level and weapon upgrade.

jblanco

Oct 27, 2017
I finished
Farum Azula.

I don't want to finish the game.... I don't want it to the end.... Did anyone else feel this way?

FellowTarnished

Alt account
Banned
Mar 8, 2022
Managed to beat Radahn on my no summon playthrough, which was definitely spicy. This is my 3rd and final playthrough so I wanted to try and do it with zero summons and it's a challenge for sure. Currently a bit stuck on Twin Gargoyles as they're immune to bleed and my damage just isn't where it needs to be. Also I was a bit sad to see that the fight still drops frame rate massively when they're both active and casting poison, after the last patch my stutter was completely fixed and this is the only reproducible issue I have left.

Studge

Oct 25, 2017
the black knife armor is so cool but I couldn't deal with the no footstep thing...makes the game sound bugged lol
I know right! I just got this set last night and was surprised that it didn't just make movement "silent" for the AI awareness system. Even some sort of muffled sound or magical hum would probably have been ok, but dead silence just fucks with my brain and I can't stand it.

I just completed the evergaol that unlocks the warp to Haligtree and it was a pretty fun action puzzle. Sneaking around and using Bloodhound Step to avoid the assassin and then playing Enemy at the Gates with the sniper ladies to get across the rooftops was a neat challenge.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I finished
Farum Azula.

I don't want to finish the game.... I don't want it to the end.... Did anyone else feel this way?
for sure, it's my favorite game ever. Not sure about your playthrough but you still might have a ton of side stuff on the table.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Finished my second playthrough last night with a mage build at around 30 hours (first one was Dex/Faith build which took me around 135 hours with doing basically everything in the game I could). It was interesting to play a completely different playstyle just to see what it's like, but in the end I definitely preferred melee. I felt like I ultimately relied on Rock Sling more than anything and that got a little boring after a while lol. Tried out a bunch of spells and there are a handful of good ones, but a lot of them feel like they either take too much FP or they don't do enough damage to justify the slot. Also used Moonveil here and there too and I don't know, I wasn't terribly impressed by it after all the hype. I maxed it out and it was good but I found using the weapon art was a little clunky with the sheathe. Wing of Astel was more fun tbh.

It's cool to see how quick you can get through the game when you've already done a playthrough though. I mostly ignored anything that wasn't usable as a mage, so most catacombs and caves I didn't bother with this run. I like that you can just string together a build in the opening hours of the game when you know where specific gear is. I could've just done NG+ and used all the stuff I already had but I like knowing I have a save with pretty much everything done, plus if we get DLC I'll have that char ready to go. Love this game, it's by far my favorite From Soft title.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Life got busy so just finally made it to Farum.

We really had a whole topic on godskin duo? I one shot them going in with 2 flasks...

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Everytime I find myself really enjoying this game, I'll go fight a boss who absolutely kicks my arse (Crucible Knight) and then I'm swiftly reminded how brutal the From games combat can be and I feel sad.

I realise of course these bosses are optional and I can come back later, but I still feel like I should be holding my own better than I do.

Anyway, I've only just discovered the L2 R2 move for my Bloodhound Fang which makes me very happy.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
This is the dumbest jump I've encountered in the entire game, so far:

d2G1ARG.png

The environmental designer must have thought Torrent was going to have much tighter controls than it does. I am not a platforming savant in any brand of game, but this one is extremely frustrating, especially since it has to be repeated if you don't survive what is awaiting you at the bottom, which is worthy of its own tangential discussion.

From does things like this that border on sadistic, and it's not admirable.

Everytime I find myself really enjoying this game, I'll go fight a boss who absolutely kicks my arse (Crucible Knight) and then I'm swiftly reminded how brutal the From games combat can be and I feel sad.

I realise of course these bosses are optional and I can come back later, but I still feel like I should be holding my own better than I do.

Anyway, I've only just discovered the L2 R2 move for my Bloodhound Fang which makes me very happy.
Don't let Crucible Knight get you down, that dude is one of two bosses I have on my "completely bullshit" list. He has such a complete offensive and defensive package, the person who designed him has no kindness in their heart.

Especially if we're talking about the one with the shield. He's a star athlete who rips up kids notebooks when they asks for autographs and laughs when they cry level of asshole.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Lol just saw you can try to give Seluvis potion to Ranni, and I mean try because
she obviously doesn't take it and if you talk too much to her she one shoots you lol

tmdorsey

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Georgia
Current progress with Malenia- With the help of Tiche, I was able to (mostly) reliably get to 2nd phase.

Hell with her help there are times when she doesn't even get to do the Waterfowl in the 1st phase. Regarding Waterfowl, I've only been able to successfully dodge everything only once out of the maybe twenty attempts tonight.

The problem now in the 2nd phase is that Tiche is not smart enough to avoid her AOEs, and she's definitely not capable of dodging Waterfowl. Which means Malenia is gonna get healed.

Lastly, what's the trick to dodging that Omnislash move in the 2nd phase? I'm thinking out run the first two, and then normal dodge the last three?

So before I ran into the bug where she automatically died entering her second phase, I was getting to her second phase pretty reliably having my Mimic toting my +10 RoB and me wielding the +10 Sword of Night and Flame. I was getting her down to like 50-33% health in the second phase when she would pull out that enhanced Waterfowl and end me.

Holy shit. The Great Jar Knights are players??

Umm what? How does this even work if I've been playing offline?

Still not feeling right about my "victory" against Malenia. I can't believe after close to 400 hrs spent on my first playthrough, I'm considering another run to get to Malenia just to beat her square and fair. Somebody talk me out of this! LOL.

Also, after completing some more of Ranni's quest I can't believe FROM put in two Astral boss fights in this game Luckily, this fight went quicker and easier than the first battle.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Lol just saw you can try to give Seluvis potion to Ranni, and I mean try because
she obviously doesn't take it and if you talk too much to her she one shoots you lol
It's awesome! And you can fix it at the Church of Vows, so everything is fine. Well, not fine for Seluvis.

Umm what? How does this even work if I've been playing offline?
There are probably three default fighters for offline players.

tmdorsey

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Georgia

d2G1ARG.png

The environmental designer must have thought Torrent was going to have much tighter controls than it does. I am not a platforming savant in any brand of game, but this one is extremely frustrating, especially since it has to be repeated if you don't survive what is awaiting you at the bottom, which is worthy of its own tangential discussion.

Don't let Crucible Knight get you down, that dude is one of two bosses I have on my "completely bullshit" list. He has such a complete offensive and defensive package, the person who designed him has no kindness in their heart.

Especially if we're talking about the one with the shield. He's a star athlete who rips up kids notebooks when they asks for autographs and laughs when they cry level of asshole.

OMG! I totally forgot about that area. You are so right. That was so annoying. I don't know if I missed something, but what was down there didn't see worth the trouble of what it took to get there. IMO

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
OMG! I totally forgot about that area. You are so right. That was so annoying. I don't know if I missed something, but what was down there didn't see worth the trouble of what it took to get there. IMO
I haven't look up the reward, wanted it to be a surprise for once I guess? But my stupid horse can slip off of the branch when I've successfully made the jump, then I land on a lower outropping and should be safe, but the game doesn't calculate the fall height correctly so I just die.

And when I do get down there man how much HP does that damn Golen have? Fully charged strong attacks from my Ruins GS+6 aren't doing jack to the health meter.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I haven't look up the reward, wanted it to be a surprise for once I guess? But my stupid horse can slip off of the branch when I've successfully made the jump, then I land on a lower outropping and should be safe, but the game doesn't calculate the fall height correctly so I just die.

And when I do get down there man how much HP does that damn Golen have? Fully charged strong attacks from my Ruins GS+6 aren't doing jack to the health meter.
You should click this spoiler.
Surprises are nice, but if you haven't got the painting from Sellia, you're wasting your time going down there. Go get the painting first.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017

d2G1ARG.png

Yeah that's the one, the bastard is absolutely ruthless with his attacking and barely leaves any room for me to get in there.

Anyway, I'm moving on and ignoring him, he can stand and rot in his little circular arena for all I care.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
I'm having a terrible time with Fire Giant at lv1 :l Some times I can get it to 20%, other times I can't even land a hit on it and die as soon as I get close. I can't build any sort of consistency with it.

tmdorsey

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Georgia

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
I did a ng+ to get to the capital quickly. But at what point in the game does the Leyndell Divine Bridge elevator become activated? I have godrick's and renalla's runes. I killed that sleeping giant/sentinel on top but that elevator lever still won't work.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I did a ng+ to get to the capital quickly. But at what point in the game does the Leyndell Divine Bridge elevator become activated? I have godrick's and renalla's runes. I killed that sleeping giant/sentinel on top but that elevator lever still won't work.
You can only activate it from below. You can't use it to enter the city, you need to either get past Draconic Tree Sentinel, or use the teleport in Deeproot Depths.

Booshka

Banned
May 8, 2018
Colton, CA

I think like 30K health, thats a unique enemy and not worth fighting, but if you want to. Use strike weapons to stagger and then go for critical hits. Rinse and repeat for however long it takes. Charged R2s are the strategy but that enemy is super tanky.

Nov 3, 2017
Currently a str / fth build using primarily a greatsword + greatshield. Any recommended tears for the flask? I've been very vanilla with the health regen + stamina regen but open to suggestions to mix things up.

fl1ppyB

Jun 11, 2018
I couldn't get through Malenia on my first playthrough with a strength build and had to end up summoning to do it after a few hours. My second run I rocked the bleed build and just got to her boss door before need to quit to order dinner. Figured I'd give it one try before I left and hoooo-boy does Rivers of Blood just absolutely destroy her. Did it first try and the whole thing must have only taken a minute or so.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Currently a str / fth build using primarily a greatsword + greatshield. Any recommended tears for the flask? I've been very vanilla with the health regen + stamina regen but open to suggestions to mix things up.
Spiked Cracked Tear adds +15% to charged strong attacks, if you use those as much as me you are robbing yourself of extra damage if not using this one. Combined with the Axe Talisman you get +25% damage on those, huge considering that includes Poise damage.

Greenburst Crystal is actually a solid pick since you use the shield and a lot of stamina with the greatsword attacks.

Definitely dump Crimsonburst Crystal though, I leaned on it as a crutch for a while, but bosses start doing so much burst damage and you get so much health that the keep away time it requires to give you a tangible amount of HP recovery becomes untenable in a clutch situation. Dropping Warming Stones, which are made from super basic materials, actually heals significantly faster.

Faith-knot isn't a bad idea if you have high scaling there, it's a free boost.

I made the mistake of fighting that giant when I went there. Biggest rune lost I had in the entire game (130K gone).
I lost 67K trying to jump down there (stupid me) so it became a stubborn thing. I quit though, not worth the frustration when I'm using a weapon that can't even switch Ashes.

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
This being my first From Software game I'm curious if I only love this game because the open world gives me the ability to tolerate some of the bullshit.

Finished this in ~150 hours, level 175, saw all the endings, best every dungeon/boss/catacomb/etc..

If I were to give another one of these games a try, would Bloodborne be the one to go to? Or would anyone recommend something else?

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
If I were to give another one of these games a try, would Bloodborne be the one to go to? Or would anyone recommend something else?
Dark Souls 3 will feel the most like Elden Ring (but you'll miss that jump button). Sekiro will feel the least like Elden Ring. Both amazing games.

Bloodborne is my favourite game of all time. But I recommended it to a friend recently and he couldn't see past the framerate. If you can live with a bit of choppiness you'll have a good time.

Even at base 20 Arcane? Because that's what I have and I was really hoping to not have to respecc
Should be fine, if you have high DEX. More ARC is better but it's still ultra-strong with low ARC.

Oct 29, 2017
I forgot to comment on it after beating the game a second time but... They really butchered the EB, it only did a three hit combo with the sword and that one projectile attack with those "light spikes". Extremely disappointing, hopefully they fix it, it has so many incredible looking moves and it just did those two instead

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I forgot to comment on it after beating the game a second time but... They really butchered the EB, it only did a three hit combo with the sword and that one projectile attack with those "light spikes". Extremely disappointing, hopefully they fix it, it has so many incredible looking moves and it just did those two instead
It didn't even do the rings? That's its trademark "wow" move! They even sync the music to it. That's terrible if it doesn't do the rings anymore.