• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RedBlue

Oct 27, 2017
Queens, NY
I reached the mountaintops last night and immediately did not like these Zamor knights.

Are enemies here cold resistant? Been using dual cold clayman harpoons and wondering if I should swap them to standard and magic infuse them instead (or keen instead and use the spell, maybe? I have 20 dex)

The Zamor Knights are total jerks. They hit hard, their initial counter attack is dumb, but they are somewhat predictable. I'd use a weapon that hits hard and stuns for a moment so you can just hit and run. Try and lure them out 1 at a time too.

Jun 24, 2019
Am I sadistic that the Lake of Rot has been one of my favourite areas?

I happened to have the mushroom gear and I have Fire Cleanse Me, so I found it perfectly manageable and even enjoyable rather than frustrating and unfair. Running from platform to platform added a different tension to the gameplay.

I don't hate it either tbh

I just find it hilarious that it's the 3rd mega swamp I see in the game.

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
I thought they buffed him back up again in one of the latest patches?
I have no idea but he was a bit of a pushover. It's not meant as a humble brag bc I had considerably harder time with many more bosses in ER.
But I could see the battle as very hard without summons. Is just that he is highly distracted by the summons and with a good long range weapon (I use the holy spear or whatever) is pretty easy to joust him into oblivion.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
If doesn't help that the arena is like 10 feet x 10 feet and if you back up towards the hill the mob comes your way. Fight took me a few tries and pissed me off plenty.
I absolutely washed the western Avatar in one attempt, almost felt like it was far weaker than the eastern variant.

Maybe I had just become death, the destroyer of worlds after the other one took me hours to defeat.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I absolutely washed the western Avatar in one attempt, almost felt like it was far weaker than the eastern variant.

Maybe I had just become death, the destroyer of worlds after the other one took me hours to defeat.
The game has a weird way of making a boss a kitten 7 times in the game and then the 8th is a planet-destroying demigod. For no rhyme or reason some versions of the bosses are just ridiculously stronger than their friends. The Putrid Tree Spirit in War-Dead Catacombs, for example.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
The game has a weird way of making a boss a kitten 7 times in the game and then the 8th is a planet-destroying demigod. For no rhyme or reason some versions of the bosses are just ridiculously stronger than their friends. The Putrid Tree Spirit in War-Dead Catacombs, for example.
That must be it, I hit t with a couple charged attacks then like two 'Wave of Destruction' arts, the other one would have laughed and kept on spamming his rot everywhere with 80% of his heath intact, but this one was just like, "okay you win sir."

Man, the War-Dead Catacombs and that Tree Spirit were terrible lmao. First dungeon I ever just held down the sprint key throughout the entire complex.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
That must be it, I hit t with a couple charged attacks then like two 'Wave of Destruction' arts, the other one would have laughed and kept on spamming his rot everywhere with 80% of his heath intact, but this one was just like, "okay you win sir."

Man, the War-Dead Catacombs and that Tree Spirit were terrible lmao. First dungeon I ever just held down the sprint key throughout the entire complex.

The fact every ghost enemy seemed to have the HP pool of the combined population of a small city drove me nuts. Then the boss. Woof.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019

I tried battling my way through the first time, and then every time after that my attitude was "any of you accidentally hit me on my way to the boss and you're fucking dead".

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
This game is too long.

I am 130 hours in. Level 124. And I think I'm exactly halfway. I beat Radan and now I'm in the Capital.

I don't have time to play another 100 hours. I may have to put this game on hold for a few months.

Are other Souls games this long?

xChildofhatex

Oct 25, 2017
Finally completed the platinum. Took around 200 hours though I probably spent 60-80 hours just dicking around and helping people in co-op.
Kinda mixed reactions about the final boss(es) as the first one was kinda good but the second one is just.... Mediocre.

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
This game is too long.

I am 130 hours in. Level 124. And I think I'm exactly halfway. I beat Radan and now I'm in the Capital.

I don't have time to play another 100 hours. I may have to put this game on hold for a few months.

this is the outlier. most of them are 30-40 hours long on a casual playthrough, with their dlcs adding about 5-10 hours. dark souls 2 is the closest with all the dlc putting it around 60-70 hours if you wanna do all of the content.

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
Colossal swords are really fun to use now, this is how they should have been from the start, not painfully slow with endless recovery frames. I started off as DEX/INT, but as with every character I make I ended up a strength build.

Post-patch, I switched to using the Royal Greatsword, which is really strong. My attack is a little under 1000 and the weapon skill does thousands of damage, as well as applying frostbite.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
this is the outlier. most of them are 30-40 hours long on a casual playthrough, with their dlcs adding about 5-10 hours. dark souls 2 is the closest with all the dlc putting it around 60-70 hours if you wanna do all of the content.

I can handle doing one 60 hour game per year.

This will probably be 200 hours long. I love the game but that's just too much.

Oct 25, 2017
This game is too long.

I got all achievements in this game in 98 hours, and feel like I've seen almost everything (I know I missed 2 quests)

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
The fact every ghost enemy seemed to have the HP pool of the combined population of a small city drove me nuts. Then the boss. Woof.
Those dead shot assassin sniper archers who then turned into greatsword knights at close range were who pressed my sanity.

There was also a certain enemy in there that had crazy AOE attacks and magic shit that I've yet to run into as a real living enemy; those dudes seemed like walking minibosses and I am NOT looking forward to finding out what the hell they were.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Those dead shot assassin sniper archers who then turned into greatsword knights at close range were who pressed my sanity.

There was also a certain enemy in there that had crazy AOE attacks and magic shit that I've yet to run into as a real living enemy; those dudes seemed like walking minibosses and I am NOT looking forward to finding out what the hell they were.

The dual wielders with spears and piercing swords? They do indeed appear as minibosses once or twice, but they're also regular enemies in a couple zones.

Jamesways

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
Colossal swords are really fun to use now, this is how they should have been from the start, not painfully slow with endless recovery frames. I started off as DEX/INT, but as with every character I make I ended up a strength build.

Post-patch, I switched to using the Royal Greatsword, which is really strong. My attack is a little under 1000 and the weapon skill does thousands of damage, as well as applying frostbite.
I need to play around with that, I need a different option for a str weapon now.

That's the last dungeon I have left. Not looking forward to it, but I haven't been there since beating Radahn so hopefully it's a bit better leveled up. Still probably doesn't matter as everything hits like trucks regardless of level.

May 10, 2019
MRTzpvJ.jpeg

0KoS53g.jpeg

RU6jITM.jpeg

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
Fuck,I had my best run at Maliketh...one more hit and I had him,probably 30th try now...I got like not much more to do,just killed Placidusax dragon not far from there,Mogh yesterday
in Moghwyn not the regular one
...maybe I will go and try Vastel but man,that fight with a melee character is just ooof...and I am not talking about the one in a catacomb or cave...maybe the white Dragon sleeping in a corner...probably easier then Placi.

Last edited:

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
You must have destroyed this game. lol.

I'm not going to say I'm the best, but I know I'm pretty good at Souls games. I don't get why this is taking me so long then.
I'm level 103 and just got to the Capital Outskirts. My playtime is messed up (says 350 hours) because I have fallen asleep with the game running or left it idle, but I'm easily over 100 hours.

For me it's partially the fact that I am prone to just mess around in open old games, and the other half is that I die A LOT, either taking on zones where I shouldn't be yet or just struggling against tougher bosses.

I'm good with it though because my best defense is being over-leveled for the content I'm about to tackle, fuck them kids.

The dual wielders with spears and piercing swords? They do indeed appear as minibosses once or twice, but they're also regular enemies in a couple zones.
Maybe? I waited until they were getting jumped and just sprinted past, paying very little attention. I just know they were really tall and were slinging death. Seemed to have weapons on their backs.

That's the last dungeon I have left. Not looking forward to it, but I haven't been there since beating Radahn so hopefully it's a bit better leveled up. Still probably doesn't matter as everything hits like trucks regardless of level.
I did it and Radahn somewhere around levels 60-70, if you have it as your last you should be able to brute force it.

The enemies outside of the archers aren't hitting that hard.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
I can handle doing one 60 hour game per year.

This will probably be 200 hours long. I love the game but that's just too much.

You could just look up the ideal progression guide and stick to the main path. I got the platinum last night in 131 hours, but it would be way less if I'd explored less, not done all the NPC quests other than one or two I messed up early on. Things like tombs and caves get pretty repetitive, once I had the weapons you wanted to use fully upgraded most items I found were worthless (and I have lots of upgrade mats if I need to power up a few weapons in DLC), the story and side quest lines are mostly obtuse nonsense (IMO) and so on so you won't really be missing much just mainlining whatever you have left if you want to see it through.

But yeah, if you're not big on long games, this one probably should have been a skip for you, lol. So no harm just shelving it and moving on and maybe coming back to it down the road.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
You must have destroyed this game. lol.

I'm not going to say I'm the best, but I know I'm pretty good at Souls games. I don't get why this is taking me so long then.

I am "Pretty Good" at Souls games and this took me 165 hours, because I went and looked at everything I possibly could and re-explored some areas, and didn't summon other players to help on the hard bosses...

I am over 170 hours now as I try to beat the mega ultra super optional boss solo

It's just a MASSIVE game. I'd say it is 2 times the size of Dark Souls 3 including the DLC. It's 3x Sekiro. However 50-80% of the game is actually optional.

There is a 165 boss speed run that takes just under 10 hours.

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
I explored the vast majority of the world and fought every boss pretty much and beat the game in 65 hours, then continued with NG+ and helping people with bosses and got to 90 hours. Idk how so many people got over not only 100 hours but close to 200 hours. But at the same time you really got value for your money so it's a good thing.

Recently beat Dark Souls 2 with all DLC and that took like 35 hours.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
I explored the vast majority of the world and fought every boss pretty much and beat the game in 65 hours, then continued with NG+ and helping people with bosses and got to 90 hours. Idk how so many people got over not only 100 hours but close to 200 hours. But at the same time you really got value for your money so it's a good thing.

If you beat 165 bosses in 65 hours, you beat a boss every 23 minutes, which is hella fast. If you missed 50 bosses that's still one every 34 minutes.

xChildofhatex

Oct 25, 2017
So, I usually play Dex or bleed builds in these games but after beating the game with my Dex/Arc build I'm thinking of starting a Str/Fth character. Which would be the ideal weapons apart from Blasphemous blade and Maliketh's black blade?

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Took me 160 hours to fully explore the map, I didn't get stuck on any bosses for an especially long time or spend any time farming runes

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.

At the start of the game in Limgrave I was a huge sneaker lol...I did the area before going left through the arch with the regular soldiers maybe 15 times on a loop sneaking around... I am at 150 hours or so now(near the end).

Also dumb me thought you had to be crouched to do a backstab :P

Kornflayx

Oct 27, 2017

I ended the game at Lvl 170 with a playtime of 160 hours. I rarely used the horse in the overworld because I missed so much stuff while riding. I also try beat every enemy I encounter at least once.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I'm at 96 hours and I just got to the final area, the Ashen Capital. So depending on how long that is I may be at 100 hrs overall for my 1st time through. LVL 160.

Unlike DS2 and DS3, I'm not going to jump into NG+ right away. I need a little bit of a break. This is the only game I've played the last two months.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
The Zamor Knights are total jerks. They hit hard, their initial counter attack is dumb, but they are somewhat predictable. I'd use a weapon that hits hard and stuns for a moment so you can just hit and run. Try and lure them out 1 at a time too.

I had previously noped out of there, but returned last night after gaining some levels. Everything was going okay-ish except that I kept ending up with like 5 of them attacking me at once when I got far enough in, no matter what approach I took. So I said fuck it and just rode around on my horse grabbing all the stuff I could find and then rode right past.

Of course then theres the damn birds....

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
From Software has re invented dynamic difficulty. I feel like my progression through the game has been:

Normal -> easy -> very hard

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying a spear + greatshield build because I've never used either of them in previous Fromsoft games, and I'm really surprised at how good it feels to play. It seems like an incredibly forgiving way to fight on your first playthrough, when you don't know the movesets of anything you're fighting.

I'm still rolling the really big and obvious attacks, but being able to poke from behind a shield as insurance against unexpected attacks or hitboxes is so nice. It makes it so much safer to get damage in instead of hanging back and waiting until you're really, really sure that the boss is done swinging and isn't going to gatling into some other attack chain at the last second. I'm actually playing more aggressively against everything because going for an attack is much less risky this way. It's both increasing my damage output and making boss fights shorter, which is very unexpected considering how turtle-ey the loadout sounds.

I'm using the crossed tree tower shield and the serpent hunter, which is a surprisingly good general use weapon even outside of its ash of war gimmick.

RedBlue

Oct 27, 2017
Queens, NY
I had previously noped out of there, but returned last night after gaining some levels. Everything was going okay-ish except that I kept ending up with like 5 of them attacking me at once when I got far enough in, no matter what approach I took. So I said fuck it and just rode around on my horse grabbing all the stuff I could find and then rode right past.

Of course then theres the damn birds....

I hate the birds more. All the birds. I hate all birds

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Boc the Seamster quest is seemingly at an end with a couple of options available to me.

What's the 'best/happiest' outcome for this endearing chap?

Tell him 'you're beautiful', give them a larval tear… or just leave him be?

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Boc the Seamster quest is seemingly at an end with a couple of options available to me.

Happiest is tell him he's beautiful.

Most players give him the item as that's the most obvious thing. If you do that, follow him to the Grand Library and see how happy he is.

May 10, 2019
I love your pics.

I was so so wrong about this game when I first started. Came fresh from DeS and was grumbling about graphics and everything looking so drab and gray.
There are some beautiful, colorful, gorgeous vistas in this. Just jaw dropping areas that are straight up walking through a living painting. The art style is so fantastic.

Thanks and completely agree. I had a few early pics I took from the beginning area up to stormveil castle. The world really opens up after stormveil, especially visually and just gets better as you progress. Some of my favorite shots even come from the underground cities/dungeons. There's just so much to look at/discover and having the day/night phase only enhances it even more.

May 10, 2019

I made the unfortunate mistake and gave him the tear the first time. Really sucked what the end result was. As someone else just said to you, go with that choice and you will be good to go.

This is his questline and what happens and what to do or not do if you want more information.

Boc Questline

Last edited:

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I made the unfortunate mistake and gave him the tear the first time. Really sucked what the end result was. As someone else just said to you, go with that choice and you will be good to go.
I will say I'm glad I made the "wrong" choice on my first playthrough. It really felt like the right thing to do, and I gasped and laughed out loud at the result, because it was so cruel and bleak. Poor Boc, my gentle friend.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Current progress with Malenia- With the help of Tiche, I was able to (mostly) reliably get to 2nd phase.

Hell with her help there are times when she doesn't even get to do the Waterfowl in the 1st phase. Regarding Waterfowl, I've only been able to successfully dodge everything only once out of the maybe twenty attempts tonight.

The problem now in the 2nd phase is that Tiche is not smart enough to avoid her AOEs, and she's definitely not capable of dodging Waterfowl. Which means Malenia is gonna get healed.

Lastly, what's the trick to dodging that Omnislash move in the 2nd phase? I'm thinking out run the first two, and then normal dodge the last three?

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
Current progress with Malenia- With the help of Tiche, I was able to (mostly) reliably get to 2nd phase.

Hell with her help there are times when she doesn't even get to do the Waterfowl in the 1st phase. Regarding Waterfowl, I've only been able to successfully dodge everything only once out of the maybe twenty attempts tonight.

The problem now in the 2nd phase is that Tiche is not smart enough to avoid her AOEs, and she's definitely not capable of dodging Waterfowl. Which means Malenia is gonna get healed.

Lastly, what's the trick to dodging that Omnislash move in the 2nd phase? I'm thinking out run the first two, and then normal dodge the last three?

Have you tried Mimic? I tried both that and Tiche on my attempts and had much better luck and finally beat it with Mimic. It stayed a live longer and kept aggro better. Probably depends on build though. I was mage heavy so my mimic was keeping her distracted with spells it was casting. Was still a pain, and I had to respec to use Rivers of Blood and then spec back to my mage/dex build, to get passed it. I tried summing random players to help, but they all just died fast and left me with a tougher boss, lol.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Have you tried Mimic? I tried both that and Tiche on my attempts and had much better luck and finally beat it with Mimic. It stayed a live longer and kept aggro better. Probably depends on build though. I was mage heavy so my mimic was keeping her distracted with spells it was casting. Was still a pain, and I had to respec to use Rivers of Blood and then spec back to my mage/dex build, to get passed it. I tried summing random players to help, but they all just died fast and left me with a tougher boss, lol.

I have not tried mimic yet.

My current loadout is a dex/int Moonveil spamming build. I do have a bunch of spells I could use though.

I actually tried bringing a secondary weapon with quick step to see if it's better for dodging waterfowl- switching weapon is too slow, it's just better to run.

But I did use my summoned swords again and that seems to help alot to keep me at a distant while still dealing stagger damage

EDIT: Holy shit there are only FOUR great ghost glovewort in the entire game??

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
I have not tried mimic yet.

My current loadout is a dex/int Moonveil spamming build. I do have a bunch of spells I could use though.

I actually tried bringing a secondary weapon with quick step to see if it's better for dodging waterfowl- switching weapon is too slow, it's just better to run.

But I did use my summoned swords again and that seems to help alot to keep me at a distant while still dealing stagger damage

Yeah, give Mimic a go. I was a dex/INT/Moonveil build. As I said, I respecced to use Rivers of Blood for this fight, but still used mimic and kept a staff in my left hand so Mimic did a mix of attacking with RoB and casting some spells to keep aggro. Casting spells myself was useless as the boss is just too fast and aggressive. One of the only ones I couldn't just beat by keeping my distance and hitting with rock sling or comet azur while mimic (or Tiche) kept most aggro.

I did have some decent attempts before respecing with mostly using the Adula's moon blade spell to attack.

Last edited:

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Just got the platinum. Took 72 hrs. 10/10 with the only blemish being how exhaustive and hard hitting everything post Mountaintops is (that section alone took a third of my entire playthrough time). One of the best games I've ever played. Can't wait for the DLC.

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
the black knife armor is so cool but I couldn't deal with the no footstep thing...makes the game sound bugged lol