• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Putrid Avatar is the only enemy/boss in the game that's made me say "this is bullshit".

It sucks as a colossal weapon user when the AI decides to not swing at you but to instead just spam the rot spreading leap and the keep away ground stomp, like wtf on those attempts I feel like there's just nothing I can do. And just like with the Valiant Gargoyles, it feels unfair that the AOE toxin cloud that specifically targets melee users also does damage, except this time it covers 3x the frontal area and does massive tick damage even if you get caught rolling out of the edge of the cloud.

This is on top of the fact that mistiming a melee attack deletes 50-70% of my health in one swing.

I'm going to eventually win but fuck.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
Putrid Avatar is the only enemy/boss in the game that's made me say "this is bullshit".

It sucks as a colossal weapon user when the AI decides to not swing at you but to instead just spam the rot spreading leap and the keep away ground stomp, like wtf on those attempts I feel like there's just nothing I can do. And just like with the Valiant Gargoyles, it feels unfair that the AOE toxin cloud that specifically targets melee users also does damage, except this time it covers 3x the frontal area and does massive tick damage even if you get caught rolling out of the edge of the cloud.

This is on top of the fact that mistiming a melee attack deletes 50-70% of my health in one swing.

I got so annoyed at this guy as a colossal sword user that I beat him without healing.

I don't know why that made sense to me but it did.

Basically, never over-commit, get used to running away, and eventually you'll also have the timing down for his swings, watch the bottom tip of the weapon and wait til it moves to roll to avoid the catch.

chanimal

May 2, 2020

The rot cloud does a shitton of damage. What I found helpful as a colossal weapon build was to roll multiple times away from him when he jumps. Or if you're near his sides, try rolling towards his back to get an attack in as the AOE rot seems to spread in a frontal wide cone.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I got so annoyed at this guy as a colossal sword user that I beat him without healing.

I don't know why that made sense to me but it did.

Basically, never over-commit, get used to running away, and eventually you'll also have the timing down for his swings, watch the bottom tip of the weapon and wait til it moves to roll to avoid the catch.
Yeah it freaking gets me with the delayed overhead slam so many times, I roll a fraction of a frame to early and I can hear the thing laughing at me as it caves in my Tarnished's skull.

I've started just letting it kill me and resetting the encounter every time I get hit by the first swing, I'm in full petty mode at this point. I wouldn't be so frustrated if I wasn't getting it down to 20-15% health, the win is right there but I keep fucking up.

Putrid Avatar is on my list with Greatshield Crucible Knight; whoever designed their offensive packages was selfish as fuck. Or just an asshole, I don't know.

The rot cloud does a shitton of damage. What I found helpful as a colossal weapon build was to roll multiple times away from him when he jumps. Or if you're near his sides, try rolling towards his back to get an attack in as the AOE rot seems to spread in a frontal wide cone.
Yeah I try to roll to the side. Just sucks sometimes how it can start the leap animation while I'm in its crotch stuck in recovery frames from a heavy attack, and I have to avoid the shockwave first, finding myself deep in the cloud and forced to eat some of the rot damage.

I can dodge into a swing, start an attack and as I am hitting it begins the rot dance and I'm going "oh fuck".

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Changed the mix of what was in my Wondrous flask and beat that sucker ass Avatar in a couple tries, after struggling for hours. What a difference the right drugs can make.

I feel like I've graduated into a proper Witcher now, Geralt would be proud.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
At level 165 and nearly 130 hours played, I've beaten Elden Ring! Had a devil of a time with the final boss and finally resorted to summoning a co-op helper for the first time and beat it first attempt. We made a good team with them doing melee attacks and doing a lot better job keeping aggro that Mimic or Tiche were in my prior attempts and let me get off some Comet Azurs and melt it pretty quickly. As many have noted, the final fight would be a lot less annoying with a checkpoint between the two bosses.

As a whole, I really only struggled early on, and then with Malenia and the final boss. Going mage with a lot of points in INT (ended at the final soft cap at 80), moonveil and lots of rock sling, comet azur and Mimic tear worked really well for me, as did putting decent points into vigor (at 57 currently) and 25 points in endurance and wearing equipment weight increase charms to be able to wear some heavier armor so as to not be squishy. Made me mostly feel like a bad as wizard, who could also fight up close when needed. Only respecced to a blood build for Malenia and then immediately back to my usual build.

Did the save scumming and watched all six endings. I think the Ranni ending is my favorite so I did that one again to have it as my final one (not that it matters) Now to go see what I have left to knock out for the platinum. No interest into going into NG+.

Edit: Just 3 trophies left. Need to find all the legendary ashen remains, sorceries and incantations and talismans. Think I already have a strong majority of them.

Last edited:

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017

He's the only boss I've run away from so far. I'll come back to him later, was really annoying trying to take him down.

edit: Died a few times to the 2x Gargoyle's down in Sofria. That boss fight was annoying. Luckily a friend was on and I could summon him.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
So I'm at the
frenzied flame place, and Melina is begging me not to proceed.
Without spoiling much, should I go in or just leave it alone? I'm not interested in anything that requires Faith

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
So I'm at the
Without spoiling much, should I go in or just leave it alone? I'm not interested in anything that requires Faith

It's tied to one ending. You can just not go through for now and then warp back to that grace later if you want that ending or are save scumming to see multiple in one playthrough. As far as I know it doesn't impact anything else other than making your eyes look weird.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm at the

In that case I'd leave it. It unlocks an ending but also locks you to that specific ending. Wait until you get to endgame and look it up.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
So I'm at the

It's tied to an ending that grants an achievement. I just kept it for last (I save scummed). My favorite and I wasn't faith anything.

If you did do Hyetta's quest you get a special seal that requires nothing to wield, scale with everything tho a bit low and buffs frenzy spells.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
Does any Souls game have such a varied list of "hard" encounters as ER?

I love reading this thread and seeing people complaining about enemies I don't even remember...I had to look up the Putrid Avatar even though I definitely killed every one of them. Seeing complaints about the Draconic Tree Sentinel is fun too, since I deleted it at first blush without any fanfare (and got genuinely stuck on the boss it was guarding).

I am absolutely not trying to downplay anyone's struggle. Rather I think reading these stories is a testament to just how wide a variety of encounters are lurking in this game based on how you play and how you fight. Even in my own experience, I was sailing through on my second character only to get extremely destroyed repeatedly by the boss of the Deeproot Depths--a boss that seemed laughably underwhelming the first time through.

The hills and valleys of ER are so much more fluid than any other Souls game.

tmdorsey

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Georgia
Damn. I'm feeling so conflicted right now. I was fighting Malenia for like the 30th time. Staggered her and was getting ready to visceral her to end her 1st phase when the 2nd phase cutscene triggered. Skip the cutscene and when the fight resumed it had me visceraling her in her second phase with no HP. So she's defeated before I battled her second phase.

I really don't feel comfortable with this win at all. Damnit!

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty happy with myself. Rushed around to get my character as strong as possible without killing any major bosses so that I could rush straight to the boss of Shaded Castle and get the Marais' Execution Sword. Killed him at level 30, I'm honestly surprised the patch didn't nerf the poise damage of Flame of the Redmanes. That was fun though.

Damn. I'm feeling so conflicted right now. I was fighting Malenia for like the 30th time. Staggered her and was getting ready to visceral her to end her 1st phase when the 2nd phase cutscene triggered. Skip the cutscene and when the fight resumed it had me visceraling her in her second phase with no HP. So she's defeated before I battled her second phase.

I really don't feel comfortable with this win at all. Damnit!

Yeah, sounds like the patch introduced a bug where any boss fight with a transition can be ruined by a bleed/frostbite proc being the last hit of damage that causes the transition. It just instantly kills the boss in the next phase. Hopefully they hotfix it.

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, sounds like the patch introduced a bug where any boss fight with a transition can be ruined by a bleed/frostbite proc being the last hit of damage that causes the transition. It just instantly kills the boss in the next phase. Hopefully they hotfix it.

The Malenia bug in the transition phase has been there since launch. It's extremely repeatable if you end her first phase with a critical attack.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019

If doesn't help that the arena is like 10 feet x 10 feet and if you back up towards the hill the mob comes your way. Fight took me a few tries and pissed me off plenty.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
Woohoo! Platinum done at a 131 hours and 14 minutes. :D Finished at level 165.

I was a little worried I'd have several tombs/caves/hero grave to do to get the legendary things I was missing for remaining trophies. But thankfully only had one tomb and one hero grave and the other 3 things I was missing were easy world grabs and one dragon incantation to purchase.

Had a blast with the game and glad I gave it a chance as I thought I'd fell off the games. I loved (and platinumed) Bloodborne and got through everything through DLC 1 in Dark Souls 3 but couldn't get into DS1 or DS2 or the Demon's Souls remake later on. This really clicked with me playing as a mage (but with decent points in vigor and stamina to wear heavier armor and not be squishy). As I said eariler, other than the usual struggles the first several hours while figuring things out I mostly cruised other than Malenia and Elden Beast. Only summoned a co-op helper for the latter, but always used Summon Ashes--usually Mimic once I had it.

I'll probably mess around in the world here and there as I"m sure I missed a lot of world bosses, tombs, caves etc. Maybe go and look up sites of grace and find all in each area as a way to help find that stuff. But no interest in starting NG+ or a new character. I'll just wait for DLC as I'm pretty burnt out after 131+ hours of this right after 81+ of Horizon Forbidden West (need to do a few things to get the plat there eventually though). Will likely game less for a bit, catch up on some shows and the gaming I do will be more pick up and play stuff like getting back to Kirby, Halo Infinite MP and Forza Horizon 5 as I need a break from big games for a bit.

Last edited:

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
I need a message option to let people know they can hold dodge/sprint the climb up ladders faster. The amount of ghosts I see that just climb ladders slowly kills me.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I need a message option to let people know they can hold dodge/sprint the climb up ladders faster. The amount of ghosts I see that just climb ladders slowly kills me.
You already do. For every slow-climbing person you see, another slow-climbing person sees you and realises they can climb faster. You're doing good works just by playing the game.

RockyBalboa_

Apr 28, 2018
Don't you just hate it when in a boss fight you FINALLY get to the point where you're 1 or maybe 2 hits away from victory, and you die......

Then you don't get to that same point in the fight until another "xxx" amount of attempts, and the same thing happens again

LOL :-/

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Alright homestretch. I'm finally at the final location. Hope to wrap this up probably Saturday night since tomorrow is my wedding anniversary.

Fachasaurus

Oct 27, 2017
I am about to complete Rannis questline but I am so confused as to where I am supposed to go after or what the next questline I should tackle. Is there a comprehensive, almost step by step guide to this game somewhere? I feel like I have only been finding several walkthroughs of specific questlines and I was hoping for a more A-Z kinda guide. I have done pretty much everything so far guideless but I want to get through the game now since I have some free time coming up to binge it!

Additionally, I think I am getting bored of Moonveil as I have been using it for like 100+ levels at this point. I think the next area I am approaching is the Atlus sections of the game. So can someone recommend a different weapon that is really fun to use but doesn't swing like I am moving molasses? Want to mess around with a new build maybe but going STR/INT feels intimidating because of the slow attacks - even though some of those weapons look incredible!

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Don't you just hate it when in a boss fight you FINALLY get to the point where you're 1 or maybe 2 hits away from victory, and you die......

Then you don't get to that same point in the fight until another "xxx" amount of attempts, and the same thing happens again

LOL :-/
I choke like this, it's almost a self-fulfilling prophecy I can sense coming when it happens. Thanks brain!

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I thought I'd try doing some multiplayer last night for the first time, so I put down my finger outside Rennala's door and waited for a random to summon me in. All was going well, and then I died right at the start of her second phase 😂

I've never been so embarrassed.

Don't think I'll be doing that again for a while.

Oct 29, 2017
Is there a guide to save scum for the different ending achievements? Is it something you can do at the last minute or do you need to prepare?

Icarian

May 9, 2018
Third playthrough, I realized just now that you can actually use the grace at the Roundhold table... You don't have to get ON the table.

chanimal

May 2, 2020
Third playthrough, I realized just now that you can actually use the grace at the Roundhold table... You don't have to get ON the table.

Lmao. It took me second playthrough after I did a 200+ hour first playthrough to realize that rune arcs are required to activate the great runes, rather than those being passive buffs on equip.

Djredline

Chicken Chaser
Oct 26, 2017
Took me more attempts to reach the frenzied flame door than to beat malenia 🤣

Also wondered why I had an additional achievement missing and found that I'm missing regal ancestor spirit and had only done the normal version.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
Am I sadistic that the Lake of Rot has been one of my favourite areas?

I happened to have the mushroom gear and I have Fire Cleanse Me, so I found it perfectly manageable and even enjoyable rather than frustrating and unfair. Running from platform to platform added a different tension to the gameplay.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
I reached the mountaintops last night and immediately did not like these Zamor knights.

Are enemies here cold resistant? Been using dual cold clayman harpoons and wondering if I should swap them to standard and magic infuse them instead (or keen instead and use the spell, maybe? I have 20 dex)

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
I really like my current setup: Bolt of Gransax with that juicy lightning bolt for narrow corridors, bloodhound fang for basically everything else and Rogier's Rapier with Glintstone Phalanx for some magic business. Packed altogether in hoslow armor I am cruising through the game. I just miss a stylish shield.

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
Man I finally got to Caelis boss
Radahn
and I'm kinda sad I didn't face him pre nerf. Got him on my second trial (lvl 68) and it wasn't that hard at all - perhaps I should have
not summoned all these characters but it was too fun and unusual to have a big battle not to indulge

Also maybe I'm being unlucky I what I'm finding but as a mostly dex character it feels like slim pickings compared to STR. I love the big curved bloodhound blade but seeing all these STR weapons I can't wield makes me feel I'm missing out. Also there are so so so so many spells maybe I should respec as a spell caster lol.

This being said; a game this good should be illegal.

Rubmifer

Oct 28, 2017
Man I finally got to Caelis boss
Radahn
and I'm kinda sad I didn't face him pre nerf. Got him on my second trial (lvl 68) and it wasn't that hard at all - perhaps I should have
not summoned all these characters but it was too fun and unusual to have a big battle not to indulge

I thought they buffed him back up again in one of the latest patches?

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
I am about to complete Rannis questline but I am so confused as to where I am supposed to go after or what the next questline I should tackle. Is there a comprehensive, almost step by step guide to this game somewhere? I feel like I have only been finding several walkthroughs of specific questlines and I was hoping for a more A-Z kinda guide. I have done pretty much everything so far guideless but I want to get through the game now since I have some free time coming up to binge it!

Additionally, I think I am getting bored of Moonveil as I have been using it for like 100+ levels at this point. I think the next area I am approaching is the Atlus sections of the game. So can someone recommend a different weapon that is really fun to use but doesn't swing like I am moving molasses? Want to mess around with a new build maybe but going STR/INT feels intimidating because of the slow attacks - even though some of those weapons look incredible!

Wing of Astel will easily work with any build that uses Moonveil as it's another DEX/INT weapon. The weapon skill is very good at breaking poise and wiping out groups of enemies, and strong attacks do lots of bonus damage from the projectiles they fire.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017