• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Well I want both weapons from the last remembrance you get. I don't want to go through the whole game just to get a second one to make both. So I was not gonna spend it yet and dupe it in the beginning of NG+, not dupe the weapons itself.

Right, in that case, don't use 'em up yet. Or at least not the later ones. Dunno, doesn't take long to e.g. defeat Godrick in NG+. Either way, as long as you don't want to powerstance some of the items, there's no need to use up remembrances prior to ng+.

Oct 27, 2020
Still hoping for build advice

Im trying to respec after realizing going all in on the strength/endurance isnt working. Should I go all in on int/magic or whatever

I wasn't initially having the best time in Elden Ring with my usual Souls STR big sword build, but the game clicked for me when I out my shield away and started powerstancing collosal swords. I also have bloodhound quickstep as my ash, and it is so fun zipping around and smashing things. The game has also only gotten easier for me as I lean into this aggressive playstyle.

So, before you abandon STR, I would recommend giving a build like this a try. I'm using the Greatsword and Ruins greatsword :).

Oct 26, 2017
Have now clubbed the final boss to death @ Level 1

Mentally exhausted from learning all these boss patterns TBQH, by far the most complex souls games.

Fav boss was either

HOARAH LOUX,

or Rykard

I see, that sounds like usual Souls NG+. Wonder if it also has a big spike in the last area like normal NG.
NG+ at end game is pretty crazy

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
that's called "presentation", and it's a real quality that games do or do not possess. one that the dominant "content"-oriented view is very bad at accounting for

And what an absolutely stellar presentation this game has.

Just now saw this video on the voice acting cast and it's like "oh yeah, basically all of these performances were good to downright iconic".

To anyone saying Elden Ring supposedly doesn't do anything new, which one can usually technically say about virtually any game, well, there's nothing even close to the entire Elden Ring package either way. Not in that quantity and quality, for sure. Like, Returnal has boss fights that feature phenomenal presentation, too. But the quantity is just that much lower. It's not even bad. It's like a perfectly good number of great bosses. It's just that FromSoft is out of the norm efficient. It's not simple luck or coincidence either. We can say that with certainty by now.

Comments about the open-world not really being anything special as they're repetitive because they always feature ruins, some new NPCs, shops, map fragments, minor Erd Trees, treasure caravan, catacombs, mines, mini-bosses, crafting material, terrain/topology, perhaps a subterranean location, weapons, gear, Ashes of War, Spirit Ashes, talismans, consumables, upgrade materials, secret locations, runes, and lore...

Well, that's technically true, I guess.

Mind you, I take no issue with not enjoying it as much or getting tired of it, but when it gets framed as though Elden Ring is just run of the mill here, that's just bogus.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
If I pick new game on Xbox, that starts a new save slot and does not overwrite my current one. Is that right?

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK

Amazing! I learn a lot watching these.

If I pick new game on Xbox, that starts a new save slot and does not overwrite my current one. Is that right?
Yeah, you'll make a character in a new slot. "Load game" will let you load any of your characters, and "continue" will use whichever character you played most recently.

Oct 29, 2017

Mentally exhausted from learning all these boss patterns TBQH, by far the most complex souls games.

Fav boss was either

HOARAH LOUX,

or Rykard

NG+ at end game is pretty crazy

Love that final boss, great stuff. Nice choice of fav bosses too, I love them as well.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How does this run on PS4? My buddy wants to play and I was going to loan him my base PS4 with the game installed. I can co-op with him if I have a PS5, right?

dadoes

Feb 15, 2018
I wasn't initially having the best time in Elden Ring with my usual Souls STR big sword build, but the game clicked for me when I out my shield away and started powerstancing collosal swords. I also have bloodhound quickstep as my ash, and it is so fun zipping around and smashing things. The game has also only gotten easier for me as I lean into this aggressive playstyle.

So, before you abandon STR, I would recommend giving a build like this a try. I'm using the Greatsword and Ruins greatsword :).
Yep bloodhound step for the win.

So much better than shielding or dodging.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
World related question.

What specifically triggers the capital city turning to ash and the fire particles covering the world? Reason being I am in NG+ and don't plan on progressing to ++. Just want to hang around for PvP, Co-op, and doing what else I can and I much prefer the capitol city and the world pre burn. Now I went to azura to get the bearings for +9 and +24 and the tree is catching fire but to my delight the capital and the world haven't all changed yet. so I'd like to know specifically what boss fight triggers that even so I know not to avoid it.

idonteven

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
little sad boys using their insta kill glitches in pvp

if you see a mage in pvp you are already dead because of the glitch

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
World related question.

What specifically triggers the capital city turning to ash and the fire particles covering the world? Reason being I am in NG+ and don't plan on progressing to ++. Just want to hang around for PvP, Co-op, and doing what else I can and I much prefer the capitol city and the world pre burn. Now I went to azura to get the bearings for +9 and +24 and the tree is catching fire but to my delight the capital and the world haven't all changed yet. so I'd like to know specifically what boss fight triggers that even so I know not to avoid it.
Killing Maliketh.

Roundtable burns earlier for some reason. It happens when you use the Forge of the Giants.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017

Fav boss was either

HOARAH LOUX,

or Rykard

Last boss is beautiful and even more beautiful watching really skilled player like you doing sl1 no hit.
It really is most complex Souls game. The movesets of some bosses are quite crazy and i can imagine taking quite some time to fully learn them.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Killing Maliketh.

Roundtable burns earlier for some reason. It happens when you use the Forge of the Giants.
Yeah I'm okay with the roundtable burning just want the rest to stay as is since I can't stand those particles and pre ash capitol is great for invading. At first i thought it was just getting to Azura but went through it anyway for upgrade materials. Thanks for the info./ I will avoid him now.

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
How does this run on PS4? My buddy wants to play and I was going to loan him my base PS4 with the game installed. I can co-op with him if I have a PS5, right?

For the most part it's okay, but there's some heavy drops in places, one area in particular where you have to use a torch runs really badly. I also had one weird glitch where an enemy got stuck somewhere it wasn't supposed to and the frame rate dropped to an actual single digit slideshow, but it never happened again. Most of the drops seem to be in places where there's lots of crystals.

Thankfully, bosses seem fine. There's nothing like Loran Darkbeast in Bloodborne where the frame rate dropped so low it impeded playing the game.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
World related question.

Maleketh

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I loved that fight. I was a similar level to you, I think. It was hard. Keep at it.
Thank you, Just beat her actually!

most of her attacks I could avoid by just running away and dodging the bloody disk, but if I ever got caught by that bloody flurry it was game over. I just chipped away at her with moonveil special

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really wish they'd have put Radagon and Elden Beast in separate fights instead of the same one. It's taken both fights from interesting/fun to kind of a chore if I'm being honest. Probably gonna end up just using a ash summon even though I was avoiding it to get it done.
Honestly… yeah.

You'd think they'd put more love into THE Radagon fight, considering the huge buildup to Radagon and Marika. I thought the fight was just going to start in that boring dark room, and then enter some phase 2 where the room completely lights up with beautifully animated great runes and stuff. Instead, it just abruptly turns out to be that Radagon is a goofy holy tadpole with wings? That fight just feels like some random anime meme thing found its' way into this world to irritate the player, and having to constantly run after it because it keeps flying away, combined with the cancerous camera, completely ruined the finale for me. It's just a poorly designed and poorly executed fight made to annoy. It was bad enough dealing with the random teleporting knights in Castle Sol.

Is there even supposed to be a sequel for this? The only real thing they have left to cover as a boss is Miquella or something, which actually wouldn't even make sense for the story to begin with. They also basically killed every fan favorite NPC, and the bad endings proved they kinda just ran out of interesting ideas, or never really had bigger things planned beyond "become Elden Lord." I don't see how a sequel to this would be good. Are they just going to retread the same stuff again? They were already starting to copy paste tons of content even in this one, and the late game areas were pretty underwhelming overall with less and less NPCs to be found, and copy pasted enemies from early game.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
My second character took me 40 hours too, and this is with skipping a shit ton of stuff.

I did some coop though.

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder why the hardest areas always have the shittiest framerate/performance, maybe it's intentional? Miyazaki's 'vision'?

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
I feel like Alecto should not be beating my ass like she is at level 120 lol
That was still the hardest fight for me, I was probably around the same level. At least the summon makes it worth it.

I went deeper into Crumbing Farum Azula today. I really hate this area. The knights are super tough and there's so much platforming.

Hidden One

Oct 26, 2017
❔❔❔
Finally decided to do the bird farm yesterday. 2 hours took me from level 51 to level 101, currently sitting at level 118 and enjoying the game much more now that I can use better builds.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
WHAT THE HELL

Mohg

So I just got Tiche after beating Alecto, decided to switch things up from Mimic (honestly he wasn't that helpful besides an aggro maybe because I'm melee). Leveled up Tiche and went to Mohg, she is utterly SHREDDING him. This seems unfair lmao

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
WHAT THE HELL

Mohg

So I just got Tiche after beating Alecto, decided to switch things up from Mimic (honestly he wasn't that helpful besides an aggro maybe because I'm melee). Leveled up Tiche and went to Mohg, she is utterly SHREDDING him. This seems unfair lmao
I didn't have her when I fought Mohg but I wish I did. She shreds everything and I use her more than Mimic now.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking around with a sorcerer/spellblade playthrough now on my second attempt. Feels like a lot of stats to put points into, so not really sure where to go atm. I have respecced to use Moonveil though so that feels like a step in the right direction.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I think the novelty of the game has worn off and I'm getting bored. I'm like too powerful. I enjoyed it once but now I guess I kinda wish the game was harder than it is on subsequent playthroughs. Made a Dark Moon Greatsword build that's 1 to 2 shotting everything. The open world also just kinda feels in the way now. I kinda wish I could just warp to every dungeon and mini dungeon and complete them instead of riding around looking for them. I've picked up my second Guts sword and will pick up the second Giant-Crusher soon so I can respec back to strength but meh.

Qotop

Nov 4, 2017
I want to finish this game, but I can't! The last boss is so frustrating, like the last third of this game have been. The bosses are no fun, just a pain in the ass. So the last 20 hours have been slow progress.

I get stressed out by the in game timer, this game is sure taking long to beat.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
After getting the platinum, I'll just say this game has some really fine examples of convoluted quest progression/design, mostly copy pasted caves, terrible PVP, tons of recycled bosses, same old shit camera, some really random NPC fates that reek of cut content and release date deadlines, some oddly designed areas/ideas that gave me Dark Souls 2 vibes, truly awful endings, bugs galore including trophy breaking ones, and one of my least favorite soundtracks they've done overall.

I'd rate it 8/10. The world mostly felt really good to explore (despite constantly having our curiosities rewarded with pointless endless rune loot and PVP items). I also felt giving Torrent a double jump was genius, and having it instantly spawn with a button made for great traversal and a more addictive gameplay loop. It also made me realize how unbearably slow our characters move.

Bloodborne is still the best thing they've done for me by far. It's the only game I've played from them that I loved so much I needed to platinum it twice, same with Demon's Souls and maybe DS3. The things I'd do for a Bloodborne remaster.
Yeah it's still a From game, so even a weaker one of those is still pretty darn good. I was very disappointed in the music. I don't like that they added ambient music and none of the boss themes were memorable at all.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Well I want both weapons from the last remembrance you get. I don't want to go through the whole game just to get a second one to make both. So I was not gonna spend it yet and dupe it in the beginning of NG+, not dupe the weapons itself.
Sorry if I missed someone already saying this, but fyi while you can carry over remembrances into NG+, the game isn't going to let you use it until you defeat the boss it's from. It doesn't take too long to get to most bosses luckily, but since you'd get a rememberable anyway I'm not sure what advantage you're gaining here lol.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't have her when I fought Mohg but I wish I did. She shreds everything and I use her more than Mimic now.
It was insane. is he just vulnerable to blood loss or something? I would've thought the opposite lol. Considering that's what he specializes in

Barely saw his second phase and mainly just dodged his attacks while she went in on him, feel kinda guilty but also feels kinda nice after my struggles against Fire Giant and Alecto to get Tiche in the first place

Skies

Oct 25, 2017
Elden Ring got me over here playing Kirby bosses like I'm about to be downed by one hit. I was feeling risky going for two hits before I hastily dodged out of range. My wife was like wtf you doing?

At least I completed the no hit quest on my first try. 😅

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
It was insane. is he just vulnerable to blood loss or something? I would've thought the opposite lol. Considering that's what he specializes in
If you mean her health drain IIRC her effect doesn't have a damage type, so it works on just about anything

For a similar reason the Black Knife assassins will always be annoying with that move regardless of resistances