• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Nightsky

Oct 27, 2017
It's an open world game, very open. If you leave optional stuff too long you overlevel it. You could have done Radhan and the quest much sooner if you wanted to and it would have been a much miore fun challenge.
"fun challenge"

*remembers when the thread was page after page about complaints of how unfair and not fun the radhan fight was*

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
When you are summoned to fight Malenia and the intro cutscene starts playing:

untitled-design-6-3.jpg

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
Any tips for a melee build trying to get Placidusax down?

Level 130
Lordsworn Greatsword and Claymore both at +24
Mimic and Tiche at +10

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
Finally did some googling to get some more spells since I was still just with the starter one and one worthless one I'd stumbled across with my prisoner. I'd came near but somehow missed the one ruin that has the spell selling NPC and then looked up and went and got the rock toss spell and meteorite staff that are used in a build video that was part of my decision to roll with prisoner. Digging it so far, helped me beat one boss I'd left a while back but still need to level up more for a couple others I'd stumbled across. Plan to just do some random exploration for a while the next few sessions.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Completely disagree. There's loads new, every area has multiple places that feel unique and exploration remains best in classs throught the game.

Agree to disagree then. The more I get into the game, the spectacle and variety of the areas to explore remains amazing, but it all quickly faded out when I realize everything is essentially a dungeon of varying sizes and openness. Guessing what happened to a place or the history behind them is very fun though.

The original heart of this conversation was me pointing out that Elden Ring subtracts many systems common to modern open world games.

I said systems, not assets. Yes, there are still bandit camps. Yes, there are still safehaven churches, etc, and these pop up in every region of the game. But From removed almost all telegraphing from these world entities, made it totally opaque what you'll get from them ( in AC they'd tell you if you've 100%'d that bandit camp and what reward you'll get), and woven their place naturalistically into really ingenious, flowing level design which is often more like 5x linear paths overlapping each other constantly than a big open field.

It's a subtle distinction but it means ER's core design philosophy is essentially a first-time in open world games. Feels like the first time someone rethought the core rules of open world game design since like 2008, which we've been chained to for so long.

No more telling the player what every building is for. No more explicitly showing exactly where to go at all times. No more telling players when or if they've beaten a zone. No more coddling the player with content 100% easy as possible for their place in the game.

That's fair enough. The last bits do sound gnarly.

With or without quest markers, Elden Ring still has the same principle of open world game design (visually guiding players through object/landmark/enemy placement, environmental storytelling, a critical path with subtle nods on where to deviate, hidden paths that you know are there because something catches your attention, etc). Every building has something to add to player power which may or may not be useful for you. The map still shows the general direction of your critical path. They gave you a return waypoint when you cleared a zone, or you know it by yourself because there's one good item in it.

The world is massive, the level designs are very intricate, and the visual variety is staggering, so in the end the overall package is great,. As you said it's probably the only game whose core philosophy is "Dark Souls, but big" which should be extremely appealing to Fromsoft fans. To me this game doesn't make me want to play Souls games and makes the wait for BoTW2 even harder,

astro

Oct 25, 2017
"fun challenge"

*remembers when the thread was page after page about complaints of how unfair and not fun the radhan fight was*
I was talking about the quest not just Radahn, and not everyone said that about him. People don't come to the thread to say "I enjoyed that" as often as they do "that was horrible!".

Agree to disagree then. The more I get into the game, the spectacle and variety of the areas to explore remains amazing, but it all quickly faded out when I realize everything is essentially a dungeon of varying sizes and openness. Guessing what happened to a place or the history behind them is very fun though.
Boiling it down to "everything is a dungeon of varying sizes and openess" feels very reducitve to me, the game doesn't feel that way at all imo.

Hotbug

Dec 3, 2020
Godskin Duo, Maliketh and Dragonlord all down.

Godfrey is wrecking my shit though.I think he's a particularly bad match up for sorcery players.

The moon spell makes you float and counts as "jumping" over ground AOEs if that helps. Even though I mostly didn't use the moon at the right time, it inadvertently helped. Also Greatshield Soldiers are a blessing for you in this fight if you're sorcerer.

(19:48 if it doesn't skip - this is an endgame spoiler)

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With or without quest markers, Elden Ring still has the same principle of open world game design (visually guiding players through object/landmark/enemy placement, environmental storytelling, a critical path with subtle nods on where to deviate, hidden paths that you know are there because something catches your attention, etc). Every building has something to add to player power which may or may not be useful for you. The map still shows the general direction of your critical path. They gave you a return waypoint when you cleared a zone, or you know it by yourself because there's one good item in it.
Yes, every open world action adventure game ever made in all of history will have these aspects, because these aspects are staples of the action adventure genre and fit into the open world in this particular and obvious way. No open world adventure game, including Elden Ring, will not have them. If they didnt have them, it would probably suck. Go on Steam and play some low budget open world games for a taste of how such a game feels without these elements (hint: it's boring AF).

You're missing my point, which is that with Elden Ring they very precisely removed the majority of the handholding which open world games including BotW have always done. Yes, the guidance of grace points towards the next objective - but it points from the initial checkpoint, never during the journey itself, and in an extremely vague direction to an extremely vague goal. No other open world games enforces vagueness to this degree. And that applies to almost ALL of ER's systems, where it applies to practically none of the systems in any other given open world game (BotW has a god damn minimap on screen at all times featuring a yellow blip pointing EXACTLY to where the next objective is).

It's a very subtle distinction, but it applies to ER's game design being a rewrite of the core T&Cs of how open world games work (as Edge said in their rare 10/10 review for the game). All the information you assume you'll be given from the countless Assassin's Creeds, Far Cry's, etc - it's all been stripped away. The player needs to do a lot more of the cognitive legwork in ER. And it's intoxicating.

If it didnt work for you, fair enough. But From made clear decisions here which go against the norm of open world design.

For the record I'm also incredibly excited to see what Nintendo's team do for BotW2, they must be furiously taking notes. And to see what comes of Elden Ring 2.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017

Level 130
Mimic and Tiche at +10
I think it's a fight you just have to be a bit patient on since he can do so many attacks which don't actually allow you to attack that safely. I stayed close around the tail for a lot of it, keeping lock on off outside of when he teleports to do claw attacks, just face the camera towards him a bit so you can see when he does firebreaths or the ground explosions. His left hand claw attack which leads into a fire breath you can actually just roll through the claw to his stomach and attack as the breath doesn't seem to reach there, that was the biggest opening i found to do damage.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Talk about spikes, just got to castle sól and I'm getting curbstomped. Giant lions, ghost knights, and the boss can't say since I haven't managed to kill his bois.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure Tiche is worth the boss to unlock her. 😅

She is. Until they nerf her that is.

Took about 4 hours but M is down, Im still shaking.

Congrats!

What's the good minimum vigor level that people agree upon? 40?

I'd say 40 is a solid number.

🤣

Helping people with M is fun, most times things go great until the host decides to be confident enough to aggro and then bye

I swear this happens 90% of the time the moment M gets down to 25%. Host either becomes super cocky and gets greedy or they kick me and the other player helping out of their game. lol

-----

Made a new character and doing a faith build this time. The Black Knife Assassin boss in the Black Knife Catacombs was making me hella salty last night. lmao

Last edited:

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
After all my time in Stormveil, the one enemy I don't want to fuck with is these birds, man. In particular the ones that breathe fire for some reason. Just not worth the hassle.

Black Flame wrecks these knights so that's all good but to hell with these birds.

pixeldreams

Oct 27, 2017
Finally finished my first playthrough, 100 hours at around Level 165-170.

The difficulty ramp from MOTG and beyond is way sharper than the rest of the game and was teetering on the edge of "some bullshit" to just all of a sudden have a bunch of different enemies than can obliterate you like they're a damn boss (especially looking at you dual-sword teleporting frost knight).

I would say the only part of the game I was getting really frustrated was Haligtree as it reminded me of the parts of other Souls games that annoyed the shit out of me: lots of tights corridors packed with enemies with plenty of snipers. It was the only area I just started sprinting forward and not worrying about checking every nook and cranny out until I came back way later.

Final boss was the toughest fight for me, it sucked that my bleed build was useless against them, so I had to swap around most of my gear to be more effective in that fight. Was worried that I was going to be stuck on Malenia for a long time, but surprisingly got her in under 10 attempts. A lot of that felt like luck not having them do the mega combo and just not being too aggressive in phase two. The hardest non-final boss for me was Malkeith, thank goodness that's not a "full fight" because that one is brutal, especially that damn black flame damage and those wave beams.

10/10 game for me, but more like a 9/10 experience because of the performance on PS5, kind of a real bummer but down the line I plan on getting it on PC too.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
After all my time in Stormveil, the one enemy I don't want to fuck with is these birds, man. In particular the ones that breathe fire for some reason. Just not worth the hassle.

Black Flame wrecks these knights so that's all good but to hell with these birds.
It bugs me the best way to handle birds is to use your melee weapon. Bows on them is awful feeling.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
It bugs me the best way to handle birds is to use your melee weapon. Bows on them is awful feeling.

Melee is just so hit-and-miss with the way they circle around the way they do.

If I can land a good hit with a flame ball, that will one shot them but again they're just so all-over-the-place and that fire hurts as do the blades.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Finished up my first run of Elden Ring last night so I wanted to write up my thoughts.

Personally, I think its one of the best games ever made, but that's not surprising. I already think most of FROM's games are at that level. So, the real question is, among FROM's other works (Bloodborne being my favorite), where do I put it?

I think it's easily their most impressive game. The sense of scope and mystery is unmatched, and I've not had a game capture a feeling of sheer wanderlust in years. With that said, I have a few small quibbles that put it just a hair below Bloodborne for me as an overall package.

The open world is an incredible achievement and 99 percent of the time its amazing to explore. But you do start to notice patterns, similar side-dungeons and reused bosses, as you make your way through the game. This is entirely forgivable given the sheer amount of content here, but its worth noting given the extremely handcrafted feel of FROM's other works.

Then there's the issue of difficulty, which is where my largest (but still ultimately small) complaint comes in. Most of the game is as well balanced as anything FROM has done. The final act fights, without going into spoilers, mark a huge, huge difficulty spike. Bosses have massive HP pools, hit like trucks, and are so aggressive you have very few openings to attack. Because of this, they almost require use of the new "Spirit Summons" mechanic, a mechanic which allows you to summon an friendly character to fight with you, without becoming a frustrating mess.

That's not in and of itself a bad thing, it encourages you to engage with the new mechanic. But it is a marked design change from earlier in the game, where the bosses felt designed to be taken on one on one and the Spirit Summons were more of a way to decrease the difficulty if you were having a rough time, like a single player equivalent to co-op summoning. I preferred that approach, personally. I think if the late game bosses had been just a bit more balanced for solo play, this would have been my absolute favorite FROM game. It's still damn close.

Even still, when "you actually have to use all the game mechanics" is your biggest complaint, you know you've got something special. I'd recommend this game to damn near anybody at this point. I think its going to be remembered as one of the most impressive modern games we've seen.

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017

The difficulty ramp from MOTG and beyond is way sharper than the rest of the game and was teetering on the edge of "some bullshit" to just all of a sudden have a bunch of different enemies than can obliterate you like they're a damn boss (especially looking at you dual-sword teleporting frost knight).
I was farming the dual-wielding knight yesterday for the unaltered Banished armor, and he is a fully certified asshole. Laughably overpowered. I came back at level 170-180 with +10 Moonveil and he could still kill me if his combo caugh me in a corner. Sick combo, teleportation, loads of health, healing… Give me a break.

I don't think there's any enemy close to that level of bullshit, at least not what I've come across.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
The game completely stopped working for me, i try to initiate, and after the artwork/logo screen when it's about to enter in-game screen, screen stays white and the game does not load, till it closes.

Try to verify files integrity and re-install, no success. If any help is welcome, thx in advance.

oldzac

Jan 22, 2020

Level 130
Mimic and Tiche at +10
A lot of good tips in the replies. I would add to not be afraid to use Dragonwound Grease. Even if you don't feel comfortable using it in the middle of the fight, having it equipped will let your Mimic Tear apply it, and the extra damage does help. Also, it may seem counter-intuitive, but get as far away when he lands to do the laser attack. I got absolutely demolished by it the first 5 or so times I fought him, but when I got a bunch of distance after he landed, I realized the attack didn't have as much range as you would think. Being farther away also gives you a better view to dodge roll through them, if it comes to it.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Why after so many games can they still not design enemies that can't attack through walls..

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
I really wish they wouldn't lock the controls when a game message is on screen.

The amount of times I've pulled a lever or something, get the message "a heavy door has been unlocked" or some such, get attacked after I don't notice the message, and then feel frustrated because I'm taking hits and my, attack, block or dodge isn't working.

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
Why after so many games can they still not design enemies that can't attack through walls..

This is one of the things that's always felt very unfair. Especially when you kill an enemy, equip their weapon and find that it bounces off walls when it clipped through them when they were using it.

Anjoys

Avenger
Nov 10, 2017
The game completely stopped working for me, i try to initiate, and after the artwork/logo screen when it's about to enter in-game screen, screen stays white and the game does not load, till it closes.

Try to verify files integrity and re-install, no success. If any help is welcome, thx in advance.
Had this happen to me, it was because I had MSI afterburner running, maybe the game is not happy with one of the applications/program running in the background.

Anjoys

Avenger
Nov 10, 2017
I really wish they wouldn't lock the controls when a game message is on screen.

The amount of times I've pulled a lever or something, get the message "a heavy door has been unlocked" or some such, get attacked after I don't notice the message, and then feel frustrated because I'm taking hits and my, attack, block or dodge isn't working.
Yeah really hate this, nearly died a few times because of this, that message lasts way too long.

Galadrome

Mar 4, 2021
If you like Dark Souls, this game is a gift for you because every location in its massive world is a meticulously designed Dark Souls level. If you like open world games for the sense of adventure they have, by the time you reach Altus there's really nothing new besides the spectacles.

Agreed. When I played I pretty well stopped exploring at Altus, and just went to beat the game. Besides that my weapon was already upgraded to +9 (Somber), so there was nothing else for the game to provide of particular use. Along with the issue you mentioned, I found the spectacle became less and less effective. It was just just too much, with too little substantive mechanical variety to differentiate areas other than the spectacle. I sorta became numb to it, with places like Nokron failing to impress even if it really should have. Compounding this issue, the rewards you get for exploration don't really matter for most builds.

I really wish the game finished at Leyndel, because it is the best designed area and the natural climax in terms of pacing. Beyond that I was pretty exhausted with the game.

Oct 26, 2017
California
I'm at a point where I either missed the explanation of a story beat or I did something wrong. At Round Table Hold there are no characters around the table at all. Did they get killed by that invading guy? Or did I miss something else?

Trigger

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
My brother made the comment that the fight feels like it's training you for Malenia and honestly, I kinda agree. A lot of the stuff in that fight feels like lesser versions of what you come up against when fighting the spoiler linked boss.

Oh my. I might have to abandon my glass cannon build then. I only beat this boss because I could exploit frostbite with Adula's sword.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly 1 month since Elden Ring released, how y'all feel about the game since the honeymoon period is over?
Probably an 8/10 for me. Everything in Limegrave and Liurnia is a legit 10/10 but everything after is either just good or meh. Caelid kinda sucks, Atlus Plateau was cool, Mountaintops of the Giants was ass, and the underground areas varied wildly in quality. Boss fights are largely terrible which was surprising to me. Only Margit, Godrick, and Morgott were the only standouts. Malenia could've been an incredible boss fight if not for the heal and the bullshit hundred slash move that feels impossible to dodge. Adding a proper jump button was a winner though and felt like it opened up the level design tremendously in a lot of spots.

I'd put it above Dark Souls 2, Sekiro and maybe Dark Souls 1 but well below Demon's Souls, Dark Souls 3, and Bloodborne.

Edit: Forgot about Rykard. He was a pretty fun boss if only for the spectacle.

JasonV

Oct 25, 2017
For the record I'm also incredibly excited to see what Nintendo's team do for BotW2, they must be furiously taking notes. And to see what comes of Elden Ring 2.
I really think Elden Ring is going to have a colossal impact on open world design.

Might be a bit late for BOTW2 though.

I wish Horizon 2 would have taken some notes from BOTW, and I really hope Horizon 3 takes on some elements from ER and BOTW as well.

Oct 29, 2017
INT being the easier way to play really is a constant in FROM games lol rock sling and pebble are real good, the others are pretty alright too

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Exactly 1 month since Elden Ring released, how y'all feel about the game since the honeymoon period is over?
It's a 10 for me. I slightly favor BoTW because of the series and how Nintendo took an age old formula and shoved it to the side for something completely new and pulled it off; like Santa Monica did with God of War.

Elden Ring is simply spectacular in design, content and combat. I wanted an open word Dark Souls and that what I got an more. The level design is classic From, Volcano Manor is superbly laid out.

IIRC, spent almost 400hrs in BoTW. I think I can get close or pass it with ER. All I know is, BoTW 2 and the next ER are going further break open world design. I played and finished Horizon:FW and it can't touch ER's open world.

dadoes

Feb 15, 2018
Agree to disagree, remains compelling for me.
Not saying the game is not compelling.
Every area has still some unique elements that makes me want to continue playing.

Be it the new dungeons, bosses, enemies, environments, etc It's still an amazing open world game, don't get me wrong.

However I've stopped doing every little side dungeon, bandit camp, etc because it was becoming too repetitive.

I beat horizon forbidden west before elden ring. And while fw is a great game, er is on another level.

Last edited:

Baloota

May 12, 2018
Egypt
just did a cool finisher against that boss and i wanted to share it.
(optional late game boss) so spoilers.

I'm Malenia now :)
God i love this fight

Gushu

Sep 29, 2018
I kinda regret killing
Dung Eater in the sewer level
yesterday but this guy was talking some sick shit. I just couldn't stop myself.
I probably screwed up some side quests :(

Oct 27, 2017
All done and Platinum got.

This game absolutely craters at the end and brings the whole thing down. It really should have ended after the fight with Morgott. It would have been very fitting...the Tarnished taking down the first story boss of the game and claiming the Elden Throne there and then. Instead it went off on a wild tangent to some incredibly poor areas. Mountaintop of the Giants is the nadir of From's work up until now and The Haligtree and CFA were not much better.

I liked this game a lot, and feel satisfied and got value for money with it but given the crappy endgame, gargantuan amounts of bloat and repetition, poor balancing and the unsatisfying narrative, it's never a 10/10 game. I give it a 7/10 and rank Demon's Souls, Dark Souls and Bloodborne above it easily. Hell, given how bad the endgame was, I'd put Dark Souls 3 above it too.

Trigger

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I kinda regret killing
Dung Eater in the sewer level
yesterday but this guy was talking some sick shit. I just couldn't stop myself.
I probably screwed up some side quests :(

Spoilers for Big Boggart quest:

Then Dung Eater invades you after killing Boggart outside of Lyndell so you get a chance to fuck him up anyway. It's pretty counterintuitive, but felt good to wreck him.