• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California

brjuntinaar

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
Every time I have invaded in this game, it's always against a co-op team; 2 or 3. I didn't know so many people play together like this. It's kind of a let down for PvP. I don't care how they play PvE.
You can still do pretty well in PVP even when it's 2 or 3 in my experience. You just have to use the environment and enemies to your benefit. Find a hiding place next to a particularly difficult group of enemies and wait for the host + crew to show up.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Just wondering what spell I saw someone use as a helpful summon against a late optional boss:

Commander Niall in the snowy fort. I summoned a real person after a few tries with spirit ashes and was feeling lazy.

The person walked through the door, didn't move, and immediately casted a huge beam of regular magic of some sort. It literally melted the boss health so fast I couldn't even take down one of the two summons. I was flabbergasted. What spell is that? Makes me want to replay the game with an INT build lmao

KayMote

Nov 5, 2017
Okay, so seriously: what the flying fuck is happening with the Dragon fight in Crumbling Farum Azula?! Why can't I lock on to the legs and why is the camera so goddamn bad here? I had no problems with dragon fights so far, but this is just frustrating...

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
Question for folks who have finished the game; I'm worried about progressing too far and ruining any active quest lines I've got going:

Very minor "end" game details: I'm in the capital and want to venture to the territory to the east but it's sealed off by some boss I haven't fought yet. If I go to fight the capital's boss I won't hit a point-of-no-return or anything right?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I know that. I have been invaded over 50 times now. I just want to know what the difference between using the different fingers for invasion
Right my bad, pretty sure they're just various ways to obtain summon for invasions, that it's just the game giving multiple ways to obtain a reusable item.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Just wondering what spell I saw someone use as a helpful summon against a late optional boss:

Commander Niall in the snowy fort. I summoned a real person after a few tries with spirit ashes and was feeling lazy.

The person walked through the door, didn't move, and immediately casted a huge beam of regular magic of some sort. It literally melted the boss health so fast I couldn't even take down one of the two summons. I was flabbergasted. What spell is that? Makes me want to replay the game with an INT build lmao
Sounds like Comet Azur + the infinite FP physick.

Question for folks who have finished the game; I'm worried about progressing too far and ruining any active quest lines I've got going:

Very minor "end" game details: I'm in the capital and want to venture to the territory to the east but it's sealed off by some boss I haven't fought yet. If I go to fight the capital's boss I won't hit a point-of-no-return or anything right?
You can kill the boss without being locked into anything.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
You know what would be a really fun boss fight? If we took the Crystal boss that takes no damage till you break their poise, give all of their attacks Scarlet Rot, and then make it a 3 v 1

That was my "favorite" non-story/big optional boss on my first playthrough. It's actually pretty easy if you happen to be using a huge club or hammer. Otherwise, have fun with your mace if you have low STR. You can also cheese them with a particular magic, but it doesn't make the fight any less annoying.

I can't remember, is that an actual boss fight? I remember 3 of those dicks guarding a chest, so I looted the chest and ran away.

Yes. They are the boss of the Sellia Hideaway.

The buffer in this game is weird, seems more pronounced than past games, like each action fills the queue for longer

There also seems to be some kind of negative edge going on too, or maybe it's just my controller. I cannot count how many times I've dashed forward with Bloodhound's Step, hit my attack once so that I'd thrust after the step ended, only to thrust and then swing again. I'm like "WTF? I swear I did not mash the button!".

Oh yes! I think that must've been one of those fights where using a summon negates a lot of bullshit, because it sounds awful but I barely remember it.

It doesn't really though. Although it might depend on what build you're using. Trying to do that with Sorcery (as that whole area is tied to Sorcery stuff) gets you a whole lot of "Haha, you want to cast? Nope, nope, nope, nope" as the spear wielder will not stop dogging you with its stupid hop-thrust that seems to go on forever. If your summon is on that, have fun getting hit by the rings of the other, and the constant Crystal Torrent spray of the third.

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Using the Rivers of Blood with a bleed build, there is no reason to kill Millenia to get the Millicent's Prosthesis instead of Miquella's Needle on the first playthough right? (Since it's been patched to not be able to get both).

I heard the Miquella's Needle can open up multiple endings or something along those lines?

Miquella's needle can be used to CANCEL the Lord of the Frenzied Flame ending path if you get onto it by interacting with the Three Fingers. That is its only use - if you get stuck on the Frenzy ending and don't want to do that route, you can use the needle to cancel out of it and pick the other five endings instead.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I know these bosses are hard as hell but some people need to understand I can't solo a boss as a helper if they just look from a distance :(

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Still playing offline for now without accepting the latest patch, but is that night and flame sword still worth upgrading if I end up letting the game patch or should I save all the resources for a post-patch weapon? Playing as confessor and have been following some guides, running around the map to collect and level up as much as possible before facing any main bosses or following the storyline.

Also, I'm pretty new/bad at these so I need all the early game help I can get. I'm not worrying about trivializing the difficulty on my first playthrough.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Still playing offline for now without accepting the latest patch, but is that night and flame sword still worth upgrading if I end up letting the game patch or should I save all the resources for a post-patch weapon? Playing as confessor and have been following some guides, running around the map to collect and level up as much as possible before facing any main bosses or following the storyline.

Also, I'm pretty new/bad at these so I need all the early game help I can get. I'm not worrying about trivializing the difficulty on my first playthrough.

It's not useless, but a lot of the allure of its special attacks has been killed, basically. I don't think I would invest an Ancient Somber into it anymore, but that's just me.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
That was my "favorite" non-story/big optional boss on my first playthrough. It's actually pretty easy if you happen to be using a huge club or hammer. Otherwise, have fun with your mace if you have low STR. You can also cheese them with a particular magic, but it doesn't make the fight any less annoying.

Yes. They are the boss of the Sellia Hideaway.

There also seems to be some kind of negative edge going on too, or maybe it's just my controller. I cannot count how many times I've dashed forward with Bloodhound's Step, hit my attack once so that I'd thrust after the step ended, only to thrust and then swing again. I'm like "WTF? I swear I did not mash the button!".

It doesn't really though. Although it might depend on what build you're using. Trying to do that with Sorcery (as that whole area is tied to Sorcery stuff) gets you a whole lot of "Haha, you want to cast? Nope, nope, nope, nope" as the spear wielder will not stop dogging you with its stupid hop-thrust that seems to go on forever. If your summon is on that, have fun getting hit by the rings of the other, and the constant Crystal Torrent spray of the third.
It could also be the PS5's input lag, it's getting slightly worse every patch

Afro

Oct 25, 2017
i love how detailed the clothes and armor are. even the generic low level stuff looks so good. my current swag:
mGAwDRt.jpg

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know what would be a really fun boss fight? If we took the Crystal boss that takes no damage till you break their poise, give all of their attacks Scarlet Rot, and then make it a 3 v 1
I'm probably 2-3 bosses from finishing this game. So far, that crystal trio is the only boss I had to "nope" out of and come back after I invested points into a strike weapon (I mainly use scythe and greatswords), even with a summon. Rolled back in a day or two later with a +14 mace and wrecked them all with it and shadowstep. All previous crystal bosses got dropped with me using a basic bitch hammer weapon.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Finally managed a trade so I can dual wield Nagakibas (Keen/Bloodhound's Step on the Right, Bleed/Raptor of the Mists on the Left). Slight drop in AR compared to two Uchis using the same, but the range is worth a few points.

What I noticed in the Reddit trade thread is that everyone wants Rivers of Blood and White Mask (Bleed enhancing gear). Not the first to say, but there will definitely be a nerf on RoB and perhaps - unfortunately - Bleed in general. I quite like Bleed as a bonus to physical builds keeping up the offensive. It's a bit quick to proc at the moment (two L1's are enough on most humanoid enemies with my half Bleed/No ARC set-up), so I think it needs another look with the values tweaked a little, but I hope they don't decimate it completely.

I predict everyone moving over to Madness next. 😄

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, so seriously: what the flying fuck is happening with the Dragon fight in Crumbling Farum Azula?! Why can't I lock on to the legs and why is the camera so goddamn bad here? I had no problems with dragon fights so far, but this is just frustrating...

I just ran past half of the dragons there. I think I only fought one or two and I did not lock onto them at all.

Oct 25, 2017
Reached the H
aligtree after traversing the mountains for a day. This whole endgame is so fucking epic. The mountaintop felt desolate and full of history. These frozen giants were another wow moment for me.

The sheer scope is unbelievable. The more I play the more I get the feeling ER isn't meant to be rushed through at all. It's an adventure you can come back to for months if you take your time. 101 hours in, level 116, btw.
I think my girlfriend forcing me to spend my weekends out and not binge the game 16 hours a day ended up improving my experience. Definitely hit the game at a slower pace than I normally would have and probably avoided burnout.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
It's not useless, but a lot of the allure of its special attacks has been killed, basically. I don't think I would invest an Ancient Somber into it anymore, but that's just me.
Thanks for the info. I don't think I have an Ancient one anyway. I do have a bunch of others. I've been reluctant to upgrade any weapons so far for this very reason, but am about ready to take on the first story boss and probably need to upgrade weapons at least a little first.

Do you know if there are any good swords for Confessors that retained their viabilty?

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
Just got to the main boss at
the Haligtree and she sure let me have it! Her recovering HP with every hit—including my Mimic!—is no joke. Managed to get her to the second phase and got pretty close to killing her in my second fight against her but she killed the mimic and that pretty much sealed my fate. Got completely wrecked the third time lol

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the info. I don't think I have an Ancient one anyway. I do have a bunch of others. I've been reluctant to upgrade any weapons so far for this very reason, but am about ready to take on the first story boss and probably need to upgrade weapons at least a little first.

Do you know if there are any good swords for Confessors that retained their viabilty?

STR/DEX/FTH? The Golden Epitaph and the Miquellan Knight's Sword both fit that build setup but they're both VERY late-game weapons. There's also the Eclipse Shotel for curved swords, but it's similarly late game. The Coded Sword also scales ENTIRELY on faith, using no other stats, for a nuclear option if you're going MEGA-FAITH.

You could certainly USE the Sword of Night and Flame, but I don't think you would want to rush it to +10 - the upgrade material you use to make special weapons max level is very rare. I've seen five of them total on my playthrough, so I'm very picky on what weapons get the other three.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
So what are some of the totally-out there combinations people enjoy? We talk a lot about OP weapons or "starter weapons" you main forever, but is anyone rocking just some random or odd weapon or armor they enjoy?

I keep trying to use sub A tier stuff cause I think it looks cool, like the family of skulls flail from the necromancy cause why not? Or the Regale of Eochlaide that I've never seen anyone talk about… but after a bit I chicken out and go back to Moonveil or Meteoirc Ore Blade which are a dime a dozen cause nothing else I have hits as hard haha

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
I want to do npc quests, but I can only do them at NG+2 at this point.

But I don't want to activate NG+2 :(

cgatto

Feb 9, 2018
Canada
70 hours in and finally tackling Lyndell. Place is massive, no matter where I go it feels like I'm missing three other paths. It's great.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I have started counting an I tried to summon 87 times at gargoyles each time to have "impossible to summon" error. I can be summoned with no problem. Struggling to beat them at STR user. Any tip?

Honestly, what that means - if you're able to be summoned no problem but every summon you try to do fails - is that you're trying to summon someone after someone else already got to them. The Gargoyles are a pain in the ass for sure, so I wouldn't be surprised if a TON of people are trying to summon a bunch of help for the fight.

Do you have Mimic Tear? If you can level it up, it will still be able to help you against the gargs, even if it probably won't kill one of them outright for you.

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
Using the Rivers of Blood with a bleed build, there is no reason to kill Millenia to get the Millicent's Prosthesis instead of Miquella's Needle on the first playthough right? (Since it's been patched to not be able to get both).

I heard the Miquella's Needle can open up multiple endings or something along those lines?

I don't think it opens up a new ending. It just reverts the Curse of the Frenzied Flame, if you accidentally met the Three Fingers. Because that meeting locks you out of the other endings.

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still rocking it and it's useful, but I'm having the same thought. I have other staves that could use the ancient somber. Are there any weapons of similar traits (INT/FAI scaling) that I should switch to? I'm basically running an INT (primary) and a FAI (secondary) build around that sword, sacred seal + rot breath, and staves/sorceries. The latter is becoming more of a focus (alternating Lusat/Regal staves).

I haven't found it yet and I'm not ready to completely respec to a DEX, STR, or blood loss build yet.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm on the final stretch now....?
Late game spoiler:
Finished the crumbling floating area and now back at Lyendell, covered in ashes, where I'm fighting Godfrey for the second time.

This game has been a wild ride... I'm at I think 150-ish hours in.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
If I
talk to the maiden after beating fire giant and have her take me to commit the cardinal sin
am I locked out of anything from that point? Such as NPC quests, other bosses, etc?