• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kiro

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
He is, yeah. You can always come back later. All evergaol bosses have been easy for me except this one. (Yes even (LATE GAME evergaol) Alecto!)

Yeah I'd happily take a half/quarter/third of lifesteal compared to what we have now. One single hit on my shield regains 2 of my hits of damage, let alone an entire flurry.

I always dodge her bigger attacks like the long charging thrust, the jumping sweeps etc anyway, but when she does that *glint* 1-2-3 combo, it comes out SO FAST that I am not able to dodge it, or not all 3 anyway, and trying to mix block and dodge here usually just fucks me over anyway, and boom she just undid all of my previous carefully timed hits.

Sometimes she will SPAM this combo, too. One time I just had to cry/laugh, I had taken off maybe 25-30% of her health, but she just went that *glint* 1-2-3 fucking THREE TIMES IN A ROW, without even a single other attack or a pause in-between. Even if I blocked some and dodged some, she was back at full health. Then, as I stared in disbelief, she did the omnislash thing and of course killed me, and this just killed any desire for me to ever fight her again. 😢

This was the Doom Eternal Ancient Gods DLC all over again, except even worse. Another balancing solution could be to cap her regained HP somehow, either by tiering her HP bar (I don't think From ever did that though) so she can't recover fully if you already damaged her a bit, or making it like Bloodborne style regain (she can only regain recently lost health), or... something.

Speaking of Bloodborne, I guess I'll probably Bloodborne this fight and try again with Quickstep or something, because I can't ever see myself winning with a sword and board style. Meh...

Isn't it obvious? You cannot play sword and board AT ALL on this fight, because she regains as much health on a blocked attack as she does on attacks that actually hit you. At best you might choose to block the very occasional hit, but you have to otherwise abandon your entire playstyle otherwise you will never out-damage her HP regain. You have to Bloodborne this fight no matter what, except Bloodborne gave you a FAR more generous dodge and parry, and enemies were never this aggressive in their flurries or as fast in their windup, not even Lady Maria or the Orphan.

I don't use ashes, but some people have vouched for Tiche.

Going to disagree. The shield allows for guard counters. Which is great at stomping through her poise, which means critical which often damages more than she healed. I don't always shield, but shield into guard counter a few of her moves works really well. Shield is great against her.

But to each their own. I think she is completely fun and fair as a strength sword and board player.

happydeer

Enlightened
Aug 4, 2021
Only now realized they nerfed the Beast Crest Heater Shield from 100% physical to 91%. And I've been wondering, lol.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone made some kind stealth/assassin/backstab focused build work? I'm wondering how viable it would be. It sounds borderline useless against bosses unless you parry all the time (I suck at parrying). I can see it being fine in normal encounters since the A.I. is pretty dumb. But can you even be sneaky in PvP?

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
I love replaying the game until the infamous last third, and it's not even the bosses I've noticed, the areas bore me while traversing them and it feels a slog

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
Does everyone else struggle with getting stuck on the "Stonesword Key was lost use" and therefore can't take actions sometimes among enemies?

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone made some kind stealth/assassin/backstab focused build work? I'm wondering how viable it would be. It sounds borderline useless against bosses unless you parry all the time (I suck at parrying). I can see it being fine in normal encounters since the A.I. is pretty dumb. But can you even be sneaky in PvP?
It feels to me like the window is so tight to backstab here that your only real chance for it would be specifically in invasions rather than duels, and because it's most likely 3 vs 1 you'll really struggle to sneak up on the host.

I reckon you're probably correct that it's best use would be for parrying (even in PvP) or for trying to break the opponent's guard and then critical afterwards (and for that you'd probably have to pair it with another weapon that breaks the guard, and then swap to the dagger).

EDIT: But I think the most likely direction (and the ones I've seen) have generally just used daggers for Bleed build up, and in that case I'd question why use a dagger and not something else.

Last edited:

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Does everyone else struggle with getting stuck on the "Stonesword Key was lost use" and therefore can't take actions sometimes among enemies?
I'm seeing several people saying this, but I haven't experienced it myself. I just press menu confirm (A or X, not your item use button) and it goes away.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Comparing the Longsword to Rivers of Blood and why one fits my playstyle and the other doesn't is because I prefer arts that are more methodical like Square Off and less spammy, but I'll try a full Rivers of Blood playthrough one day

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Finished the game,

the last 1/3 was disappointing, the difficulty was all over the palce and Godskin duo was a big bullshit.

the best souls game but sekiro is still #1

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
WOW.

PSA: don't be a fucking idiot like me and sell weapons jsut because "oh this character is X build I won't change it", because then you DO want to change it, and you can't until NG+.

FUCK.

Vigamox

Nov 13, 2017
The more I play this game the worse it gets lol. If this is the direction From is going with its future titles then I've lost all interest. It seems unfortunate that they've decided to lean so heavily on the "hard" aspect of the bosses and have stripped all the uniqueness from them that was present in Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. Yes, many of those bosses would be considered easy or gimmicky today, but at least they were unique and interesting.

Every boss in Elden Ring has literally been the same concept- large open arena, then just roll, roll, poke once, and roll away again, enter phase 2, repeat x100. The only way to increase the difficulty now that From has decided to go this direction is to make the roll timings more and more difficult, which is precisely what they've done by giving some bosses literally infinite stamina, random holding of attacks for ages, inconsistent poise, the ability to read your inputs, or by adding some random nonsensical minions into the fight. Gone are the days where you actually have to figure out a boss's weakness or use the arena to your advantage.

Last edited:

Ogawa-san

Nov 1, 2017
I have no idea how to deal with the "nothing personnel kid" knights. Every time I beat one it's by luck. It's like they have the poise of a boss.

Oct 27, 2017
WOW.

PSA: don't be a fucking idiot like me and sell weapons jsut because "oh this character is X build I won't change it", because then you DO want to change it, and you can't until NG+.

FUCK.
This is pretty good advice for any collectible in the game (including the runes/remembrances). In general, the amount of runes you get for selling them is so low compared to the cost (losing the item in that play through) it's really never worth it; you get an abundance of souls late game and you never know when it might come in handy to have it/have some situational use.

EDIT: I'd add on to it to try and buy any weapons you come across; it's much easier to have one of every weapon you encounter and not need them (the cost of them is generally quite low) compared to have to track them down afterwards (or do a new play through and find them) than just pick them up when you can imo.

Last edited:

coldsagging

Oct 27, 2017
End game is getting right on my tits. Tempted to just level and level. Is there any consensus for the pvp level yet? Not that I've bothered much with it yet.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
The more I play this game this worse it gets lol. If this is the direction From is going with its future titles then I've lost all interest. It seems unfortunate that they've decided to lean so heavily on the "hard" aspect of the bosses and have stripped all the uniqueness from them that were present in Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. Yes, many of those bosses would be considered easy or gimmicky today, but at least they were unique and interesting.

Every boss in Elden Ring has literally been the same concept- large open arena, then just roll, roll, poke once, and roll away again, enter phase 2, repeat x100. The only way to increase the difficulty now that From has decided to go this direction is to make the roll timings more and more difficult, which is precisely what they've done by giving some bosses literally infinite stamina, random holding of attacks for ages, inconsistent poise, the ability to read your inputs, or by adding some random nonsensical minions into the fight. Gone are the days where you actually have to figure out a boss's weakness or use the arena to your advantage.
Unfortunately I agree with some of the stuff, I'm scared for the DLC if they decide to one up Malenia

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Question regarding boss in Forsaken
Depths. I thought Mogh was in the underground area near Siofra. Is it safe to kill this version and does it have anything to do with Varre's quest? This game is wild.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Or make new characters. Is faster than you think once you know where to go and what to skip.

Leveling is also a non-factor now after you've defeated Godrick and finished White-Faced Varre's quest, thanks to the Raven exploit.

The more I play this game this worse it gets lol. If this is the direction From is going with its future titles then I've lost all interest. It seems unfortunate that they've decided to lean so heavily on the "hard" aspect of the bosses and have stripped all the uniqueness from them that were present in Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. Yes, many of those bosses would be considered easy or gimmicky today, but at least they were unique and interesting.

Yep. While it's rather reductive to say that all of the bosses are "the same" outside of their skin, this game does have the same problem Dark Souls 2 had, but in a different way. Instead of most bosses just being "giant humanoids", in this most are super aggressive, combo spamming, dodge happy, near infinite stamina blenders that require you to play against them nearly identically. It gets grating after a while. I don't know if it's just a matter of quantity in this game, but it has the least memorable bosses of all of their games for me. Outside of the main story bosses anyway and a select few optionals.

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
Asking again because this thread moves stronkly, any place to somewhat farm, not find, smithing stones +7?

I followed guide that said imps in 2 MOTG dungeons drop them, but they don't

Deer

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
There's a bar but we can't see it. You fill it faster with charged R2s and jumping R2s.

On the right side of the menu there are six gestures you can access quickly, and you can swap them for others. You can also use motion controls if you're on PlayStation, but they're more trouble than they're worth and I turned them off.
Thanks a lot! That helps! I wish we could just see the bar lol

Now on to staggering and gesticulating 🤠

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just started the game as a vagabond - currently going with the 2 starting swords. Is there any way to block with 2 swords or am I going to rely 100% on dodging? Right now I'm getting my ass kicked by the giant right after the gate front ruins (so 15 minutes into the game right now). I got passed this guy as a mage but it just didn't seem right to try this as a 100% mage on my first play through so I restarted.

No, but you can switch to two handing a weapon to block.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Leveling is also a non-factor now after you've defeated Godrick and finished White-Faced Varre's quest, thanks to the Raven exploit.

Yep. While it's rather reductive to say that all of the bosses are "the same" outside of their skin, this game does have the same problem Dark Souls 2 had, but in a different way. Instead of most bosses just being "giant humanoids", in this most are super aggressive, combo spamming, dodge happy, near infinite stamina blenders that require you to play against them nearly identically. It gets grating after a while.
Can't wait for the DLC super boss to be Malenia and non-rot Radahn fighting you in a small arena

Roronoa_Zoro

Jan 15, 2022
Pittsburgh
I gotta say after thinking on it for a day after platinum I'd probably go 3/5 if I'm being honest on this game. The exchange when putting in so much content is that when they start repeating or just pairing up boss fights, including a BIG one near the end, I just wish they had made a less stretched out game.

I can't ignore the fucking platforming either. It just totally dragged it down anytime I had to do jumping in this as it was clunky as hell. Also a lot of the bosses even if not repeated were very samey and final gauntlet of them I wish had been more spread out over the course of the game rather than the repeated ones.

Now that the bitching is out of the way the rest of it overcomes that stuff nicely in that it truly does feel like an epic journey. By the time I reached the end it reminded me of when I finally spread the ashes in God of War. I thought back on this epic journey and how they gradually upped the scale of the world and truly made actions feel momentous.

The world and sense of progression and an epic journey didn't make it GREAT for me and I can't picture ever replaying it but it certainly made me say I'm glad I played it and had some of the most memorable moments I've ever had as a gamer.

Sorry for the rant just kinda consolidating my thoughts on such a trek of a game

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
It feels to me like the window is so tight to backstab here that your only real chance for it would be specifically in invasions rather than duels, and because it's most likely 3 vs 1 you'll really struggle to sneak up on the host.

I reckon you're probably correct that it's best use would be for parrying (even in PvP) or for trying to break the opponent's guard and then critical afterwards (and for that you'd probably have to pair it with another weapon that breaks the guard, and then swap to the dagger).

EDIT: But I think the most likely direction (and the ones I've seen) have generally just used daggers for Bleed build up, and in that case I'd question why use a dagger and not something else.
I thought as much. Yeah a dagger isn't breaking anyone's poise anytime soon, and my experience invading has just been getting ganked and nuked off-screen by a sorcery.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
I'm at 40 hours, and feel like I've explored almost everything except for a couple endgame areas after what I think is the Fire Giant (who I haven't actually found yet).

Just finished the Volcano Manor stuff, and knocked out the Renna and Fia quests last night. Started Sellen stuff today.

Trying get all achievements in on run, so I don't want to do endgame stuff until I have literally every possible achievement.

Yibby

Nov 10, 2017
Prior to using the Mimic (like first five days of release), I used the Mad Pumpkin Head summons, but that cost 125 or so FP. That thing would last through multiple dragon stomps and fire, basically staying up from start to finish on most every boss fight, including the double ones. Then I went to Lhutel, which was just a straight up upgrade.
I had mimic and Tiche +10, but ended up using Tiche even before the nerf. She is so mobile that she survives a lot of attacks.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The good thing about my current build is that some of my main skills don't technically care about "damage" as much as the status effects. One is Scarlot Rot, which AFAIK should always do about the same per tick, and it's only the initial blast damage that should be much different, and Swarm of Flies, which procs blood loss, which is always percentage based.

Upgrading the Brass Shield to 25 will put it at around base level Greatshield stability. It takes a heavy investment of smithing stones, but it can be worth it on a lower STR character who also wants to watch their equip load. And actually be able to block some things. It seems like every 2-3 upgrade levels is when you'll get a boost to stability.

You can use the tear in your physick that gives you 10 seconds of free FP to cast it from what others have been saying. Also, if you're a caster, I'd argue the Mimic is still probably the best, but for most every other build that isn't doing spells or incantations, Tiche is probably the best. Or, you could try these other four out too:

Prior to using the Mimic (like first five days of release), I used the Mad Pumpkin Head summons, but that cost 125 or so FP. That thing would last through multiple dragon stomps and fire, basically staying up from start to finish on most every boss fight, including the double ones. Then I went to Lhutel, which was just a straight up upgrade.

The crystaline ashes suck if the boss has basically any strike, so keep that in mind.