• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
Sekiro has way more friendly parry windows.

Try the buckler, it is the parry king still.

Has anyone actually gotten used to parrying in Elden Ring?

Because I hear about nobody actually parrying in this game, ever, outside of just now when people started talking about it. And that one famous clip with Sunhi parrying Margit like he's a newborn.

Otherwise nobody ever talks about parrying in Elden Ring, cause the risk/reward is all whacked out.

shadoclone

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I had to keep talking to the doll?

That was dumb, and obtuse even by FROM standards.

I made it to the first sight of grace on the other side of the lake, and got bombarded by those Rot Skeletons so I turned it off for the night. My goal was to finish Ranni's quest tonight.
I almost missed talking to Doll Ranni cause I rarely rested at graces unless I had to at that point lol, quite silly.

Because I hear about nobody actually parrying in this game, ever, outside of just now when people started talking about it. And that one famous clip with Sunhi parrying Margit like he's a newborn.

Otherwise nobody ever talks about parrying in Elden Ring, cause the risk/reward is all whacked out.

There's this

Last edited:

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017

I do it sometimes when I'm feeling adventurous, or I have no other choice lol

It's really satisfying...when you know it's possible and aren't just guessing on timing.

benj

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, big time. It hasn't felt this consistent since DkS1. The timings are very standardized, almost all attacks are parryable, the animations are much more forgiving and intuitive than DkS3. I parry constantly, it's great.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017

why you ignore the shit I post tho?

Oct 25, 2017
For me the open world has always felt like 25-30% too big overall. I feel very strongly you could trim it down without impacting the sense of discovery, wonder, and pacing that it provides. A bigger issue for me is how disconnected the different zones/regions are from one another. They are sadly very isolated and standalone when I was hoping for more interconnections and fluidity between them (even if they were teleport related due to the geographic layout). In some ways it feels like an MMO with very disparate zones with one very obvious entrance/exit where the landscape changes dramatically along a clear fault line.

I also find that the level of precision you need while exploring this giant space to be out of whack relative to the rewards but that's more subjective. For me personally it's just nowhere near comparable to the detailed design of their density based linear games. Having to comb along the entire stretch of a cliff face running half the zone looking for any hidden outcroppings that might have a cave entrance visible from one angle is not super enjoyable.

I think they needed more open world visual tells that you were in relative proximity to entrances or points of interest so you can better shift between travel mode and search mode. Even with ruins where you know there's supposed to be an entrance because you checked your map and the game put a big icon on it, they're sometimes really hard to see or notice even though the placement suggests they're supposed to be obvious. Few and far between were the entrances that were actually rewarding to find, such as the one that's inside a walled room you have to figure out how to jump into.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
There's this

Really impressive.

Yeah, big time. It hasn't felt this consistent since DkS1. The timings are very standardized, almost all attacks are parryable, the animations are much more forgiving and intuitive than DkS3. I parry constantly, it's great.

I parried a lot in Dark Souls 3 but it felt strange to me here, like it's weirdly delayed or something. I couldn't get used to the timing of it.

Could never get used to it in Bloodborne either.

Damn.

But there are always elite SL1 players. When I said I don't really see anyone talking about parrying I meant it, like here, reddit, elsewhere. Convo has been dominated by dual wielding and ashes.

That's also why I'm glad for the various nerfs. Get people talking about other tactics.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Had my first save corruption on my ps5 I guess. My game started acting sluggish so I restarted the system and when it rebooted... Demons Souls game me a notice its save couldn't sync due to being corrupted o.O

I played that thing for like 20 hours when it came out that's so weird. I was completely terrified because I was on my phone and just saw the word "corrupted". Phew.
Had a rough time with him as well, but once I noticed that staying in close with him was far easier than trying to dip in and out of his range it made it far easier... also he seems relatively susceptible to being staggered from jumping heavy attacks (and the Moonveil heavy weapon art). Added a video of my successful attempt below if it's of any help:

Dang you stomped him. Thought that fight was a lot of fun but very tough for me haha.

Theiea

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a good site or youtube channel that does has different builds? Dont know what I want to try for my second playthrough (fresh not NG+) , just want to see what people have come up with.

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone else getting disconnected from the game after resuming from ps5's rest mode?

Whenever I resume it network disconnected pops up from the game hence nrrd to restart from the main menu.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan

I do it with the crucible knights as its easy to parry them heh.

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017

LobosJR has a SL1 Malenia fight where he parries every single one of her attacks without fail. It's not hard at all.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm just did the Dastardly duo and were they this easy? I put Muttley to sleep and went to town on Dick until dead then to Muttley. I did this until the fight was over, didn't even die. Did Fromsoft nerf this fight or is no one putting these bastards to sleep.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Hmmm just did the Dastardly duo and were they this easy? I put Muttley to sleep and went to town on Dick until dead then to Muttley. I did this until the fight was over, didn't even die. Did Fromsoft nerf this fight or is no one putting these bastards to sleep.

noone is / was using sleep

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to play any future DLC at NG++++, so I've started a new character.

It's daunting starting from scratch again.

Planning on powerstancing katanas as a samurai.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
just had a random thought, do you keep that item to
teleport you to moghwynn palace
in NG+? I'm at work and can't check my NG+ char.

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea why they made the design choice for death to reset the time back to morning but it's extremely aggravating in an open world game with a ton of night-time exclusive content. Especially in a Dark Souls game where you're dying all the time which means the vast majority of your exploration time is during the day unless you intentionally always pass the time to night when you respawn.

Honestly, there's almost no benefit to exploring during the day because unless you look things up after the fact, you'll never know what locations had optional night-time content because there's absolutely no visual indication whatsoever when you pass them by in the day outside of the Evergoals. I don't think there's any day-time exclusive content either so it's not like it's six of one or half dozen of another.

Laziness

Apr 19, 2018
Something's wrong with the shadows (I guess) in the snowy late game area. Can't take a screenshot right now, but I'm playing native ps5 version and whenever I look at the snow, it gets covered in tons of black triangles, squares, etc, like the shadows, textures, or mb something else is messed up. Only in that zone tho.

Oct 27, 2017
My friend had such a hard time work General Rahn he wanted me to tell him when I got to him an stream it. I streamed it and beat it on my third try. Get fucked, close friend.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Something's wrong with the shadows (I guess) in the snowy late game area. Can't take a screenshot right now, but I'm playing native ps5 version and whenever I look at the snow, it gets covered in tons of black triangles, squares, etc, like the shadows, textures, or mb something else is messed up. Only in that zone tho.

This happened to me on XSS but ONLY on the plateau near the Hero's Grave in that area.

Jan 4, 2018
Last achievements I need involve different endings and I have a question

I just acquired the Frenzied Flame for the Lord of Chaos ending. I also need the standard ending to get all the achievements. My question is which would likely be faster, going through the process of getting the item I need to undo the Frenzied Flame once I reach the end and then duping my save file, or just running NG+2 and speeding through just the core path to get the basic ending?

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Finally got around to installing the easy mode patch today and just...ooh baby, it's hitting just right. Getting to hop on and explore this world at my leisure after a long day is just *chef's kiss*

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Last achievements I need involve different endings and I have a question

I just acquired the Frenzied Flame for the Lord of Chaos ending. I also need the standard ending to get all the achievements. My question is which would likely be faster, going through the process of getting the item I need to undo the Frenzied Flame once I reach the end and then duping my save file, or just running NG+2 and speeding through just the core path to get the basic ending?
Don't run through NG+2, that's just silly. Dupe your save file. There's a Site of Grace after the final boss before you activate the ending. And you can still fast travel elsewhere and do whatever.

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
I have no idea why they made the design choice for death to reset the time back to morning but it's extremely aggravating in an open world game with a ton of night-time exclusive content. Especially in a Dark Souls game where you're dying all the time which means the vast majority of your exploration time is during the day unless you intentionally always pass the time to night when you respawn.
Yeah, I didn't really noticed it until I was fighting a Night's Cavalry and it was so annoying having to pass time everytime I died. It's especially bad when I forgot to do it and have to go back and forth again.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Yeah, I didn't really noticed it until I was fighting a Night's Cavalry and it was so annoying having to pass time everytime I died. It's especially bad when I forgot to do it and have to go back and forth again.
It's way way way worse for the Bell Bearing Hunters
You need to pass the time to Night and then rest to get them to spawn. Very annoying

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
You can parry enemies off their mount and the horse will just... walk around. I wonder about those ant mounts lol. Been trying to make a build for NG+ and was trying out a spear+shield combo, since I want to learn parrying in this game (it's a complete coincidence that's where the conversation on this page was going lol). I'm cowardly so just running through Limgrave to get the timings.

Don't run through NG+2, that's just silly. Dupe your save file. There's a Site of Grace after the final boss before you activate the ending. And you can still fast travel elsewhere and do whatever.
Can you? The patch notes said it fixed a bug allowing you to warp out of the ending, I don't know if that's what it referred to. Wasn't sure what it referred to.

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017
I'm at the Mountaintops oTG now

So my route to get almost everything is
Castle Sol and get that medallion - Snowfield - Haligtree - Then Fire Giant

Am I correct?

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017

yup noticed the same earlier myself

Oct 28, 2017
This game has literally consumed me. If I'm not playing I'm thinking about my next build or reading a wiki on weapons, etc. Lost so much sleep lately but damn I'm having fun.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
You can parry enemies off their mount and the horse will just... walk around. I wonder about those ant mounts lol. Been trying to make a build for NG+ and was trying out a spear+shield combo, since I want to learn parrying in this game (it's a complete coincidence that's where the conversation on this page was going lol). I'm cowardly so just running through Limgrave to get the timings.

Can you? The patch notes said it fixed a bug allowing you to warp out of the ending, I don't know if that's what it referred to. Wasn't sure what it referred to.

I think the patch notes were referring to
opening the map and warping to a grace site, without activating the one in the ending spot

Heliex

Nov 2, 2017
I love this game but goddamn it is LOONG. I'm starting to get to that point where I'm saying fuck it to side areas and B lining to end. I'll probably hold off on NG+ and clean up first. Really excited to start on NG+ though.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
Wait, the shunning grounds were optional?! Holy shit, this collective zone is enormous.

Oct 25, 2017
Went back to my old standby farming spot that I haven't been to for 100 hours and the boulder had the glowing eyes on my first go.

I miss playing Indiana Jones with you too, boulder friend.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Wait, the shunning grounds were optional?! Holy shit, this collective zone is enormous.

the entire
underground map area is optional. all the ranni and fia stuff, and mohgwynn's palace

all technically "optional" but then again I think this game's concept of optional and mandatory is weird. Like, what IS mandatory?

Getting two elden souls is mandatory but it's any two so right off the bat, none of the first half content of the game is "mandatory", or rather, you can choose any 2 I guess. Then the
capital is mandatory, mountaintop of the giants is mandatory, in the sense that it's where you trigger the endgame. and then... that white tornado area is mandatory right? which leads back to capital to finish.

This of course bypasses the entire
Malenia stuff, which includes the other snow area, hallingtree and elphael, that's one open world and two traditional "souls" zones right there. Under the capital you have the giant sewer area, all optional. And of course like I said before all the udnerground stuff which could be it's own game by itself.

oh weeping peninsula, the southern area of limgrave is 100% optional. And also 90% of
altus plateau besides the Capital
is optional lol.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
Optional end game boss
Yep malenia is by *far* the hardest boss I've fought thus far. I CANNOT reliably roll her crazy air flurry attack during P1. I vowed not to use bloodhounds step but it seems like rolling that particular mechanic requires lots of luck and rng.

Any tips for a 2x bloodhounds fang (+10 and +9) power stancing quality build to own this crazy boss?

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I finally caved and respecced… I beat Radahn, Godrick, Astel, the Regal spirit, and Rennala with 10 vigor. And that's just legends. But I got tired of losing in one hit and needing to practice each boss to perfection. I'm at 22 vigor now. I can use the mimic summon finally. I'm not impressed by it so far—my albanauric lady seems way more effective in all the fights I've tried. But at least I have the option now, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.