• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neki

Oct 25, 2017
Godskin duo was definitely an attempt to do O&S again. The arena even had similar pillars for you to use. Much like the crucible knight duo, their aggression was toned way down so it is very manageable, although fireball was harder to deal with than crucible knight gap closers since they can do it out of neutral state. They are also significantly easier to stance break so bursting one down is fairly simple. I think their moveset doesn't quite synergize but it does by enough. Funnily the fat one is the one that can be baited to be overly aggressive this time. I think my only complaint about the fight is that you are not rewarded for downing both before a resummon. That would have been a cool little reward.

I assume this has to be the last duo. I can't think of another enemy type to make duos out of. Overall I think for relevant ones double gargoyle was the hardest, and the rest had sufficient AI aggression adjustment to be fair. Those that did not had some kind player side advantage going on (such as pre-emptive strike on the double beastmen in the cave in Caelid, or usage of Torrent against the double pumpkinhead). On top of ash summons for those that need it and/or various ways to output obscene amounts of damage, I think duo bosses in this game were pretty interesting overall.

Time for you to read the 15 page topic ERA has for the dislike of this boss lol

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
The Placidusax bug out at 20%......why?

Such an amazing fight. Loved it.
I wish it had happened to me, hated that fight with a passion, the guy was even tankier than Midir, the camera barely followed him and sometimes I would get stuck on its leg and get oneshot by the fire, visually cool but the least favorite of the dragons for me

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
Caelid and a certain General spoiler:

I triggered the festival and beat Radahn. During the festival, Redmane Castle was empty and most of it inaccessible. I haven't explored Caelid much, is there anything very interesting or must gets in Redmane or can I just skip it?

There's at least one very important thing there.

That's where you get a whetblade that lets you apply fire or flame art (faith scaling) properties to weapons.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
I dont think Ive ever lost to a boss 10 times in a row before.
Malenia
is awful, i feel like im going to have to completely change my build to finally beat her. Whomever designed this fight is a sadist
Me in DSIII, wish I could say the same about this game, almost every boss took an ungodly amount of tries
But yeah that one... Good luck

Oct 27, 2017
I wish it had happened to me, hated that fight with a passion, the guy was even tankier than Midir, the camera barely followed him and sometimes I would get stuck on its leg and get oneshot by the fire, visually cool but the least favorite of the dragons for me

It's so wild how we all find these challenges so different. Midir was indeed trash tier but to me this was easier. I found sticking to the legs would cause him to do the aoe around his body so I'd go in and out. Once again, Blasphemous Blade Weapon Art for the win here.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Well I just had to beat the Dragonkin Soldier of Nokstella twice because it bugged out on me the first time. I killed him but his health bar stayed up along with the music. Had to kill myself and do it again.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
the real challenge in Elden Ring?

playing it with a FUCKING DRIFTING DUAL SENSE FFS SONY YOUR CONTROLLERS ARE TRASH

sorry

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Wow i feel like a noob after watching that
Sometimes its good to just take a moment and watch a better player tackle a difficult boss. You can gleam so much info about spacing and attack opportunities that you cant by just banging your head against a certain boss. Its how I made S.Friede more manageable.

Even against bosses you had an easy time with, it will help when you come back with a different build and need to change up your approach slightly.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
It's so wild how we all find these challenges so different. Midir was indeed trash tier but to me this was easier. I found sticking to the legs would cause him to do the aoe around his body so I'd go in and out. Once again, Blasphemous Blade Weapon Art for the win here.
Yeah it's fascinating the differences between people, for example I found the duo everyone hates while challenging a decent enough fight

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Im 145% sure I'm fucking myself over by going for 60 int first whilst negleting other stats (like health lol) for
Renalla's
staff as soon as I get it, because I'm mediocre at best and can't dodge for shit and just get 2 shot by everything...

...won't stop me doing it tho! up to 45 now :3

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
I swear bosses are either "I kill them in 20 seconds," or "I get wrecked, farm for 4 hours, and get back to it to barely win," there is no middle ground. I've never encountered a side boss that I struggled in the past 40ish hours but the main bosses are peak Souls bullshit. I honestly don't remember any of the side bosses I fought because they were so whatever. This could be the worst game in the Souls series in terms of memorable bosses. This is especially apparent, having recently played Demon's Souls.

Last edited:

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I got to phase 2 a bunch on the secret fight, and I feel mostly ok enough with my op moonveil that I could potentially unga my way to victory tomorrow or soon enough. But I got bored of doing that, and just rushed through the gauntlet of endgame boss fights with mimic. I only really struggled with one boss in that gauntlet,
Mariketh
but only for a short while til I figured it out.

But the last boss was very strange. I couldnt really tell what it was expecting of me, so I just sat back and spammed rock spells at it. With mimic, naturally. Maybe there's some trick to it I just couldn't see, but I had long lost interest in studying another boss fight cause I'm not convinced they are all worth learning like 'M' is, which is a hard fight but pretty mechanically interesting and satisfying in comparison

Anyway I think the game is all over the place. I dont vehemently dislike it the way I did when I started, cause I came around on what it's essentially supposed to be. Which is kind of a crazy thing when I realised, it's supposed to be a deeper version of Dark Souls game with way more player expression potential with all the new mechanics and progression 'tricks' you can use to get through the game, but also one which is way more approachable. A sort of perfect balance between accessible and hardcore. But the side effect, as well documented in the thread, is it sacrificed IMO way too much of the really important thing the older Souls games had. The open world sacrificed the huge focus on progression through fraught environments with deadly threats, cause its not really possible in an open world. Now Souls is an open world game with really difficult boss fights. Which isn't a bad thing, but it's far from what I personally want out of these games. For a game this long the stuff they have going on in these fights makes it exhausting, but this is what FROM are interested in now I suppose

Its a messy, weird and fascinating mess and I would put it with Dark Souls II in that category, tho at the same time I really like Dark Souls II cause even tho it's full of bad ideas and game design, the good stuff in it was so endearing to me. Elden Ring is like the opposite to that for me

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
I swear bosses are either "I kill them in 20 seconds," or "I get wrecked, farm for 4 hours, and get back to it to barely win," there is no middle ground. I've never encountered a side boss that I struggled in the past 40ish hours but the main bosses are peak Souls bullshit. I honestly don't remember any of the side bosses I fought because they were so whatever. This could be the worst game in the Souls series in terms of memorable bosses. This is especially apparent, having been recently played Demon's Souls.
I kinda agree yeah, there are some good bosses but most meh

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
I need help. I played Sekiro and although I think its a great game it was too difficult for me. I'm thinking of getting Elden Ring but I dont know if it will be too difficult. I just want a game I can enjoy and finish. What do you guys think?

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
I need help. I played Sekiro and although I think its a great game it was too difficult for me. I'm thinking of getting Elden Ring but I dont know if it will be too difficult. I just want a game I can enjoy and finish. What do you guys think?
If you use everything the game allows like summons you will beat it easily, if not... Well it's the hardest Souls yet

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017

you can make Elden Ring 100% more accessible than Sekiro, that's just factual. The question is, do you want to do that. But the option is there, where in Sekiro you really had to just "git gud".

astro

Oct 25, 2017
You know when you tap the potion button twice and you double drink it in quick succession? If you assign your health and FP potions to your quick pouch, you can double drink them together by quickly tapping one after the other.

Oct 27, 2017
Im 145% sure I'm fucking myself over by going for 60 int first whilst negleting other stats (like health lol) for
Renalla's
staff as soon as I get it, because I'm mediocre at best and can't dodge for shit and just get 2 shot by everything...

...won't stop me doing it tho! up to 45 now :3

I believe in you. I did the same and focused on INT first, no ragrets.

Oct 25, 2017
Some of the reused side/mob bosses actually serve a pretty important function as they share a few key moves with later story bosses that would be even more overwhelming if you hadn't already mastered parts of their moveset. It helps give you a counterbalance to your initial gut reaction of 'I don't think I can do this' with a familiar sense of 'oh wait, that move, I've seen it somewhere before' where you're able to go full Neo for a few seconds before they roast you with something unique.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
Regretting not keeping a list of places I have completed. I'm 48 hours in and just started doing that at around the 40 hour mark. Now that I've explored so much of the world and discovering more and more places, starting to forget which places I finished.

it was funny in a cute way, not a mocking way :P

Haha I genuinely thought I was fighting another player. It was a little icon on the map I don't recall seeing before requesting for help at particular area. So went to check it out and it was asking if I wanted to invade such and such's world. So I thought it was another player and when I killed him was rewarded with whatever armor he was wearing in the fight lol

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I like Bastard's Stars more.

you want me to NOT take glorious meteors from the sky? I thought you were my friend

Regretting not keeping a list of places I have completed. I'm 48 hours in and just started doing that at around the 40 hour mark. Now that I've explored so much of the world and discovering more and more places, starting to forget which places I finished.

I made a rule to imediatly do any side dungeon or whatever thing I found imediatly because I knew I would forget which ones I had done otherwise. Same on my second char too!

Meatfist

Oct 25, 2017
Beat it/Platinum'd it, 78 hours in. Ran a bleed build 90% of the time and loved every second of it, but switched to int with the Moonveil to handle some bleed-immune bosses at the very end

This game was an incredible experience, but some of the optional endgame areas were sadistic bullshit. I let my +10 mimic do a lot of the work towards the end and don't regret a second of it

Still my GOTY and right behind DS1 as my favorite Souls game. It was my first Souls platinum too, and probably the easiest/least time consuming out of all of them

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
When did you go there out of curiosity? I think it's intended to be done by players who bounced off Stormveil as kind of a trainer to get them ready, but it's really a fort in terms of scope.
I went there after Stormveil.

It's just a large side dungeon but set in a castle

Phew. I'm glad to hear that.

It's just a side area. It was exciting content at ~15 but I think you said you're around 50 right? Probably a pushover at that level lol

Lol you're correct. I destroyed the boss.

I'm level 51 now.

Thanks all for your responses!

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody else feel like their life has been a blur for the past two weeks? I'm ignoring a lot of stuff, it's just wife time and Elden Ring when I'm not working.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Am I not being summoned around the caves in Limgrave because I'm level ~50? Or could there be a different reason no ones picking up my sign

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
Getting summoned constantly and invading constantly in the catacombs near Radahn's area. I'm level 120 so i'm guessing others are finding this area late. Fun area to invade and fun boss to coop, I'm loving how active this game is online

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
I made a rule to imediatly do any side dungeon or whatever thing I found imediatly because I knew I would forget which ones I had done otherwise. Same on my second char too!

I was initially doing that until I started running into some that were just too difficult at the time. Plus, sometimes I just wanted to explore rather than do a dungeon. But I'm keeping a personal track record of everything I do now so it'll work out.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
Beat maliketh, really fun boss. One of the most enjoyable so far. Felt like two glass cannons going at it, either me or it died within about a minute each time

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
remind me, what dictates
Varre showing up in he Rose Church again?

Because he wasn't there earlier when I showed up.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
remind me, what dictates
Varre showing up in he Rose Church again?

Because he wasn't there earlier when I showed up.
For me
he congratulated me for beating Godrick and getting to the Roundtable, then left the starter area and went to Rose Church (leaving a hint to find him there). Maybe you only need to get to the Roundtable to move him.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Have you checked his original spot at the First Steps grace? Aka beginning of Limgrave

yes

For me
he congratulated me for beating Godrick and getting to the Roundtable, then left the starter area and went to Rose Church (leaving a hint to find him there). Maybe you only need to get to the Roundtable to move him.

that might be it, I havent gone to Stormveil yet >_>

Status
Not open for further replies.