• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shadoclone

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
M***** might be about to break me. I can reliably get through the first phase so I think it
might be doable but my mimic dies in the second and then I can't deal. Even resorted to trying coop but that's actually much harder and can't even get through the first phase. Any tips before I just give up?
It's a very difficult fight, here are some pointers just from my own perspective (have done with no spirit with both Katana and Colossal Greatsword) plus some extrapolation.
Assuming you mean Malenia; (too many M bosses and names Miyazaki lol) To start, you may have to consider saving the mimic for the second phase, because as you said it is almost guaranteed to die either just throughout the first phase, or on the phase transition. Otherwise as far as equipment goes, bleed and frost both work well, and do wonders to tip the kill speed in your favour.

As far as getting through the first phase as a general rule, you need to be able to mix between being aggressive and waiting out her own aggression. Going it solo there are only a few attacks you really need to look for specifically if you take it slow.

The first and most frequent is her normal multi-slash, and there are two versions, one where the hilt flashes, and one where it doesn't. For both versions you will want to roll forward+right, delay a bit then roll forward+left. Both versions have a guaranteed follow-up at different timings, the non flashing version being slower. The non flash version gives you a guaranteed punish, while the flashing version has variable follow-ups, so you need to wait it out.

The second will affect how you approach being aggressive, that being an attack where she dodges and attacks in one motion. This will mostly limit your non punish attacks to one or two R1s depending on your weapon. Not hard to dodge (just roll away from her) but affects how much you can do during aggression windows.

The third and scariest (at least visually and damage-wise), although least frequent by quite a margin is her waterfowl dance. Easy to see coming with her jumping into the air for a few seconds, but takes some practise to dodge. If you are playing from range this attack is seemingly more common, but also seemingly much easier to avoid without changing much, however at melee range you will want a shield with 100% Phys Block, and the Barricade Shield Ash of War or high Guard Boost+Endurance. The first set of slashes will act as a gap closer at range but will miss as long as you move as far from her as you can during the startup, at melee it is extremely difficult to completely dodge, and for consistency sake it's best to just shield it. After that the rest is easy, although maybe a bit unintuitive. The second set can be avoided by rolling straight at her just before it starts, and the third set can avoided by walking towards her and to the right for a second then stopping.

Everything else in the first phase I think is fairly intuitive but of course still punishing.

The second phase is pretty similar with some new stuff, but with a fresh mimic tear, should be relatively easy to get through.

It will still take a while to fine tune the timings, and get accustomed to recognizing everything, but this can get you through the first phase consistently, then all you have to do is dodge the transition attack, mimic up and finish it.

Oct 27, 2017
PVP shenanigans. Phantom Slash is so good.

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
So, I can't get underneath the Manor because I've killed
Rykard
?? I can't attack in this place.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017

Rixan

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone help me near end game? I don't want to trigger point of no return…

I am right at the steps up to the erdtree. Can see the fog gate. Wanted to explore the area to the north east in the world map before end-gaming but couldn't find a way over there (think I found the elevator but a seal blocks the way. I just want to make sure me walking up through this gold fog isn't final boss?

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I don't care how weak this makes me look, but I'm going to start using an interactive map. I don't mind exploring, but when it's taking me hours to find things to progress I start to check out on the game.

I'm specifically talking about the Glintstone key in this case. Shit took me hours going up and down that swamp.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Took down a couple Caelid bosses but so far it's the field enemies that hit like a Mack truck. I'm dying constantly in the field like it's Day 1 Limgrave again.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
I just respecced into the Ruins Greatsword (with the minimum INT), it's great. Anyone know if the WA gets much better at high int?
Can I have meteorite staff on my back to buff it? It's hard to tell with inconsistent damage on these fast moving bosses. Helping people in coop with Malenia. It's pretty good for that fight

I think I am ready for NG+. Still have some things I could do/get but I'm about to just move on…

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017

I am right at the steps up to the erdtree. Can see the fog gate. Wanted to explore the area to the north east in the world map before end-gaming but couldn't find a way over there (think I found the elevator but a seal blocks the way. I just want to make sure me walking up through this gold fog isn't final boss?

it is

Derpot

Nov 18, 2017
France
That's that. Got the Platinum.

Respecced HARD into intellect. Mimic and I lasered Malenia to death with the Sword of Night and Flame. The R1 attack is best, but the R2 is useful when she's on higher/lower ground.

I'd already blown up the capital, so the only way to reach her Divine Tower was via the trap chest in Weeping Peninsula. Seemed a bit weird. The golem on the Divine Bridge had respawned too.

I save scummed to get all three endings. As you get loot for completing Hyetta's quest, I made my final save by accepting the Frenzied Flame, then cleansing it with Miquella's Needle, then choosing the Ranni ending. Gonna farm some smithing stones and get ready for a future NG+ run, but I'm done for now.

Despite some of the wonky balance issues, this is the best game I've played in many, many years. An incredible piece of art.

I need to try with this sword, I'm getting desperate lmao
What lvl and stats did you have to beat Malenia?

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I don't care how weak this makes me look, but I'm going to start using an interactive map. I don't mind exploring, but when it's taking me hours to find things to progress I start to check out on the game.

I'm specifically talking about the Glintstone key in this case. Shit took me hours going up and down that swamp.

makes you look weak? looking at item locations? Dude

SplendidPhonyGalapagospenguin-max-1mb.gif

I bet most of us here imediatly google quest item locations and shit, ain't nobody got time for that. And I say that as someone that took 110 hours to finish the game :D

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
makes you look weak? looking at item locations? Dude

SplendidPhonyGalapagospenguin-max-1mb.gif

I bet most of us here imediatly google quest item locations and shit, ain't nobody got time for that. And I say that as someone that took 110 hours to finish the game :D

Breh I was googling shit in hour one. No shame.

It's also kind of impressive to see just how much websites had articles up at launch for almost every conceivable thing to find day one. That's a lot of articles.

GarudaSmiles

Dec 14, 2018

If they haven't been to the North East yet it can't be the final boss.
I assume they haven't fought Morgott yet, or gone to the Mountaintop of the Giants. Feel free to fight Morgott he is not the final boss, you still have a ways to go.

shadoclone

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So, I can't get underneath the Manor because I've killed
Rykard
?? I can't attack in this place.
A little unclear on what you mean, but if you mean you went to him through Tanith initially, there is an illusory wall in one of the rooms that you should be able to roll into to reveal an alternate route.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
If they haven't been to the North East yet it can't be the final boss.
I assume the haven't got Morgot yet, or gone to the Mountaintop of the Giants.

was there even a fog gate up there before you
burn the tree? I thought you just ran up and there were brambles in the way?

I do have mush brain tho so I'm sure im misremembering.

Breh I was googling shit in hour one. No shame.

hell yeah, like are you kidding me. I get (hate, but get I guess) "skill" gatekeeping ("you didnt kill the boss for real if you summoned" type shit), but quest gatekeeping? that's a thing too? I hate this series community sometimes.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I was literally about to kill this Misbegotten elite I've been farming all day since my last post ONE MORE fucking time, then come to Era and throw a tantrum about this damn greataxe's drop rate, and then this magically happened:

WfsGOXx.png

Yes this means all I've done in Elden Ring since my post around 3pm EST is rest at the Grace, run across the bridge, kill this elite and its friend, rinse and repeat until just now when it finally dropped the Longshaft Axe. I get petty and stubborn like that when life gives me the finger and dares me to stare into the abyss. Not counting a break it was about 6 hours of constant killing loops.

The wiki says the drop rate on this is "rare", yeah no fucking shit, I'd find a better word. This is the part where someone tells me it casually dropped for them on a first kill lmao.
I haven't bothered to try to get anything, though I thought I might later. Am I right in assuming respeccing your arcane stat would help with situations like this though?

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
just had a random thought...

so who kills
edge, lord dude in Roundtable? is it Fia too? She kills D, that's clear, but what about edge, lord? I just remember him suddenly being dead and picking up his armor

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
hell yeah, like are you kidding me. I get (hate, but get I guess) "skill" gatekeeping ("you didnt kill the boss for real if you summoned" type shit), but quest gatekeeping? that's a thing too? I hate this series community sometimes.

Yep. I'm ass at finding anything in these games as is so in a world this vast its mandatory for me. Just a page or two back I find out about a unique dragon boss in Crumbling Farum Azula I would have never found otherwise had I not seen it mentioned.

And forget about getting anywhere in the Ranni questline without looking shit up. Locations scattered far and wide between characters and where to go next. NPCs do give guidance sometimes but a lot is still obtuse and cryptic as hell.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I haven't bothered to try to get anything, though I thought I might later. Am I right in assuming respeccing your arcane stat would help with situations like this though?
Probably? I don't' know. I am not at the point where I can respec yet, I burned through all of my picked fowl feet that massively boosted my discovery stat to no avaail, ended up having to brute force it with time.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Yep. I'm ass at finding anything in these games as is so in a world this vast its mandatory for me. Just a page or two back I find out about a unique dragon boss in Crumbling Farum Azula I would have never found otherwise had I not seen it mentioned.

And forget about getting anywhere in the Ranni questline without looking shit up. Locations scattered far and wide. NPCs do give guidance sometimes but a lot is still obtuse and cryptic as hell.

yes to all that. yes.

also, to everyone crying about our favorite lady being overtuned (including me), maybe we're just shit at the game guyz she can't heal if she can't hit you

giphy.gif

:3

I did, personally.

isn't he the invader?

oh was that him? lol

You did (or maybe Gideon as punishment) when he invaded at the hold, mush brain strikes again :P

dude no joke, I really do have mush brain. 12 years of graveyard shifts really fucked me over >_>

shadoclone

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
just had a random thought...

so who kills
edge, lord dude in Roundtable? is it Fia too? She kills D, that's clear, but what about edge, lord? I just remember him suddenly being dead and picking up his armor
You did (or maybe Gideon as punishment) when he invaded at the hold, mush brain strikes again :P

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else get to the end of Yura the Hunter's questline at the Second Church of Marika only to have him not spawn?

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So, I wanted to know, do areas scale depending on the other great runes we get?

Im on caelid after finishing the volcano manor and I kinda feel like caelid now hitting me harder, I thought volcano manor was harder than this one

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got through (late end game)
Malenia
and it feels like I might have gotten through my wanted completion for the game. I don't know when I'll be going into NG+, but damn it feels good - that fight is awesome. What a game.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Been trying but the summons eventually just stop having their signs appear. I'll get him down to like 20% or less and around then the summon signs are no longer appearing ever. Eventually no one for him to fight and he just will find me no matter how far away I am, he will eventually get to me.

If you're able to consistently get his health that low maybe just explore other parts of the map until you can level up your damage stat or your weapon a few times than go back when you can hit harder.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Hgnn, leveling STRANTH past 80 seems basically pointless, but I don't need/want anything else either.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
Man the sword of night and flame is an absolutely insane weapon! the weapon arts hit like a truck! I'm currently using it and the Dark Moon Greatsword +10. Those two weapons, combined with a great shield and Mimic Tear Ash of War, have made me a walking death machine.

I was loving my blood katana, but these weapons are just too good.

Simplegamer

Oct 26, 2017
Which invasion?

Volcano duel or White mask invasion?

Go to world map, R3? or another button will show the blue and red circle, go to one of the red circle and invade, you can also do the white mask quest to get unlimited finger.
I need 3 invasion attempts to progress the white mask quest line. I cannot for the life of me seem to find a world to invade. This is my second day trying to find a player to invade. My current level is 105 and I've tried multiple areas ranging from first step grace area to end game areas. Even tried invading my friend lobby because he's around my level and still no luck.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
boy, the subterranean shunning-grounds sure suck royally

I don't...I don't have to do this place, do I? I kinda hate it. And every route I pick seems to lead me to a different breed of horrible bullshit.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I need to try with this sword, I'm getting desperate lmao
What lvl and stats did you have to beat Malenia?
160-ish. 55 VIG, 70 INT, enough other stats to use the sword (not sure if I needed to do that as I was two handing and only using the special attacks), and enough END to medium roll in Bull-Goat gear.

I also had Rennala's staff in my left hand slot, and the only spell equipped was Comet Azur. Not for me, for the Mimic.

There will be times when the R1 attack can't hit her because it's shit and can only fire perfectly horizontally. The R2 works well but you need to be closer, which is dangerous.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
How the hell do I read this?

its the amount of a stat where it stops giving worthwhile returns for investment. For example, Vigor:

Vigor 40 / 60

so up to 40 vigor you get the max health per level invested, from 41 to 60 you get less health but still worth it, after 60 you get so little it's not worth the level investment, so you are "capped", or soft capped (I can tell you from experience you only get 6 health per level after 60)

Status
Not open for further replies.