• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
I've only been playing at a friends house since release, I don't know why, but I think the Souls gameplay finally clicked with this one. Two main bosses down, multiple optional bosses. Never took more than six attempts on any of them.

I will straight put this up to me picking the samurai class and getting the uchigatana. Bleed is absurdly powerful and I don't see me using anything but katanas the whole way through the game.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I've only been playing at a friends house since release, I don't know why, but I think the Souls gameplay finally clicked with this one. Two main bosses down, multiple optional bosses. Never took more than six attempts on any of them.

I will straight put this up to me picking the samurai class and getting the uchigatana. Bleed is absurdly powerful and I don't see me using anything but katanas the whole way through the game.

I love this post.

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
Took about 50 tries but after trying every strat I could find I finally found something that got me the win 😭

The Hoarfrost Stomp ash of war is a godsend!

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
So platinum took 96 hours, I went from start to finish in NG+ in 3.5 hours just to get the last ending trophy I needed. So essentially it took me 93 hours to see most of the game. So damn good.

I am an alt-holic but I also liked to be completionist when I replay games so in DS3 I would pick up everything and do all the quests and stuff even though I don't need them for PvP purposes. I'm definitely not doing that for ER on replays. I think just bee-lining for stuff that you need will still very much feel smooth with some planning from how things look so far.

Thwomp

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
i feel like i messed up my build, im level 45-ish and put most of my points into str, dex and endurance

is it possible to respec?

Ogawa-san

Nov 1, 2017
Did anyone use some fun summons that weren't the wolfs, mimcs or jellyfish? There are so many but I went from demi-humans -> mimic and never really tried any others
I have less than 20 summons and I haven't found the mimic yet. I've been trying to find other useful summons as well, but it feels the further you go, the less useful non-tanky ones get. The gank squad for example just fucking AoEd my wolves in 5s.

So now I just roll with whatever can at least survive a few hits...

I kinda like the ancestral follower. It can take a few hits, has a heavy bow and so everything it does can stagger.

Janus

Oct 18, 2020
Did anyone use some fun summons that weren't the wolfs, mimcs or jellyfish? There are so many but I went from demi-humans -> mimic and never really tried any others

I used some other ones before getting the mimic one:
- Some skeletons. They are quite nice, as they can revive themselves if they don't get hit while down.
- Godrick's Soldiers. Early on I quite liked them. A combination of melee and ranged units.
- Lhutel: has a greatshield, teleport dodges and both melee and ranged attacks. Quite tanky early on.

Mar 8, 2018
How long is the main quest after beating the Fire Giant? I beat this boss but haven't progressed to the kiln because I heard there is a soft lock of certain areas when you do. I'm currently level 89.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
1 final trophy for the platinum.

Now I have the collect trophies done I am just going to meander the world a bit and see what stuff I can find without the need to tick boxes. Still need to unlock the location of the last boss I need but man - I feel spent.. but in a good way.

What a game.

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
I'm really gonna be interested if they ever drop a full guide for this like they did for Dark Souls and Bloodborne - one because I will absolutely buy a nice hardcover guide with all the art for this game in it, but two also because I want to see what From's intended progression route is for the early game. Based on quests and everything, it seems like it's the following:

Limgrave Outskirts -> Weeping Peninsula/Castle Morne -> Stormveil -> Liurnia of the Lakes/Raya Lucia Academy/Caria Manor -> Siofra River/Caelid/Redmane Castle

Nothing really directs you to the Weeping Peninsula but it's clearly designed to be done before Margit since Leonine Misbegotten is a far easier boss. And with how the Ranni quest directs you towards Siofra River/Redmane after you beat Caria Manor, it seems like Siofra is designed to be a "oh shit that's cool but I'm underleveled for these minotaur guys so I'll come back later," but the Ancestor Spirit boss fight is super easy if you're at a higher level, so who knows. Also I found the Caria Manor boss to be way easier than the Academy boss.

The boss difficulties are all over the place. Which is a little expected for From games but it'll be interesting to see a list of the recommended intended levels for playthroughs and see how the bosses feel then. It's especially difficult because in previous Souls games at least you could generally tell from the amount of Souls you get from a boss whether you were doing it too late or not, but Crucible Knight in the evergaol gives you a pittance for runes and is one of the hardest fights you can find early, so who the fuck knows.

GarudaSmiles

Dec 14, 2018
Anything I need to be aware of regarding missables? I'm using powerpyxs step by step guide, but it's still kinda hard to follow, and I don't want to be spoiled really.

I definitely wouldn't replay a long game like this either, so I'd prefer to get the platinum in one playthrough.
There is a missable weapon in the capitol city, and bosses associated with Rannis quest line are missable as well if you mess that up. Ranni's quest also leads to one of the endings. You can lock yourself into one end as well.
If you take on the frenzied flame you are locked into that ending. So either do the other endings first or do the quest line to get the unalloyed needle and use it to remove the frenzied flame by using it in the arena where you fight dragon lord placiduex after you get that ending.

Last edited:

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Man, Im absolutely ravaging people in PVP. I played Dark Souls 1 and 3 only after their life-cycles where already over, so only the hardcore crowd remained and I got my ass kicked. Beeing seasoned in that environment and now with all the newbies around, the tables have seriously turned

Same lol! I did my first invasion last night. It was a dude with two co-op partners and I just buried all three of them. He even had a fourth come in when it was just 1v1 and I demolished that dude. Really fun to get in there before people have it all figured out.

Oct 26, 2017
Miyazaki said it's my turn with the Gamer Skill Great Rune
A Great Rune of the shardbearer GwyndolinCinder. Its blessing reduces ones urge to complain on the internet and increases their ability to focus on mastery.

Gwyndolin was amongst the children of DMC and Onimusha, who became a demigod after mastering spacing.

The Great Rune oozes the smell of the ocean, to resist the encroachment of salt.

Neki

Oct 25, 2017
Ancestral Follower, Banished Knight Oleg and the 5 skeletons with shields were all pretty decent without being considered 'too op'.

Neki

Oct 25, 2017
The mimic tear seems to be the only ash that uses HP instead of FP so I felt locked into it for that reason. I never put a single stat point into mind and didn't want to burn all my FP on an ash summon, even though I mostly didn't use skills. Even if other ashes are really good, they're much less convenient on that end.

You can use a wonderous flask that reduces all FP costs for 15 seconds to allow you to summon with high FP requirements if you're interested in trying out other ones.

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
Finished the game in 106 hours lol

Got the Ranni ending, took a good screenshot of the ending scene that immediatly became my new wallpaper.

1646673476-h3un5yd.jpg

What a game. Definitely one of my favorite games of all time.

Now i'm suffering from the post BOTW syndrome, aka, this game was so good I don't even wanna play anything anymore.

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
Man I really wish I went A** P** before C**. The perfume crafts are really fun to play with. Along with Flask of wonder and various enchantments, buffs are easy and reliable to use, and now also not a hassle to reapply mid fight.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
I don't remember any game except castlevania with copy paste from game to game that have such a insane amount of different ennemies like this . 20 hours in and there always something new, always.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
When you beat a boss so quick he doesn't even get to use his second phase. *chef's kiss*

Boss fights in general in this game I gotta say though I haven't been impressed.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Man I really wish I went A** P** before C**. The perfume crafts are really fun to play with. Along with Flask of wonder and various enchantments, buffs are easy and reliable to use, and now also not a hassle to reapply mid fight.
I can't be the only one that first thought "A** P** before C**" has a completely different meaning than what the poster intended. Unless it is as intentional.

Last edited:

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The uhh dog enemies in a certain area Caelid are really disturbing to look at, even more so than more over the top monsters.

Jan 4, 2018
The mimic tear seems to be the only ash that uses HP instead of FP so I felt locked into it for that reason. I never put a single stat point into mind and didn't want to burn all my FP on an ash summon, even though I mostly didn't use skills. Even if other ashes are really good, they're much less convenient on that end.

I have another one that uses HP

Status
Not open for further replies.