• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOnlyJ

Oct 29, 2019
Why when you get close to objects, like a wall does the camera pull IN to you rather than pulling away from you? You can test this in any place in the game, even out of combat. If you walk up to a wall or tall object, the camera pulls closer so you can't see anything. Is this a cinematic effect? I don't understand it. It happens with bosses and whatnot too, if you get close to any object the camera pulls in. Intuitively, wouldn't you want it to pull away?

The fact that I sometimes die to camera issues even in the Eversagol (or whatever) fights is baffling to me. These fights take place in open space so the camera literally has near infinite horizontal and vertical freedom, but when the enemy gets close to you it can still start messing things up. Tall enemies particularly, because the lock on targets a fairly high point on their character and only seeks to keep that specific point at the centre of the screen, you end up with the camera trying to push itself into the floor to keep track of the locked on position.

There has to be a smarter solution to this problem than what we have here. As is, it seems like the way the camera works is often deliberately hampering your ability to see what you often need to see.
Cant you turn the camera thing off? I am not 100% but believe you can.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
This exploration music is little bit too 'Elder Scrolls' for my tastes I have to say.

Grzi

Oct 26, 2017
Also, playing this game to me it feels as if Dark Souls always should have been an open-world game. And I'm not a fan of open-world games in general.
But here it just fits.
The sense of scale is absolutely perfect.
Earlier you only had the huge bosses, and certain levels, but now you get the world and all these enormous bosses and specific locations, it's incredible, I feel so tiny while playing.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
percepter miriam is the most bullshit enemy in this game so far. Infinite mana, teleport bullshit and insane damage. Luckily manage to kill her the first time but the second fight is so fucking cancer with the llimited area and all enemies surrounding her.
And guess what? No summoning for this fight.
Screw you fromsoft
Praise the scarlet rot arrows!

ThiefofDreams

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I meant in the sense that you'll actually need to sit back and think about the fight and how to approach it. And also that it won't be a quick win like so many other bosses in the game.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
Man - im like 40 hours in. Still have not found a really good dex weapon. All the cool shit is STR. Idk if im just lucky or if dex weapons are just harder to find or what, but man im regretting dumping points into dex instead of str.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
For anyone playing on PC: what's the absolute worst it's been for you so far as frame-rate goes? Just now started exploring the Southern Penninsula area - admittedly later than I probably should've - and my frames are all over the place. I had stutters before but not at THIS rate and consistency, christ. Is this a Penninsula-specific issue or has it happened in other regions for people?

I got 59 fps for maybe a second, but otherwise the game runs at a solid 60 fps for me. I do get a stutter every now and then, though.

bill crystals

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This exploration music is little bit too 'Elder Scrolls' for my tastes I have to say.
My #1 criticism of the game is that the music isn't ENOUGH like Skyrim. It's just not very interesting in any way and kinda contrasts against the utterly fantastic world in that way a little bit, I think.

Still, its more than serviceable as a backdrop for the game's exploration. Feel like they went for a super minimal BotW vibe, but went with pretty traditional fantasy fare rather than do something truly interesting like BotW did.

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Without spoilers .... am I getting ahead of myself?

Started the game, explored the open world a bit, but headed in the direction of the big ol Castle right in front of me, managed to get to the big boss fight against Margit, but he was utterly wrecking me so I thought id go back and explore the world a bit. Ended up going all the way south to Morne Castle, and beating Leonine. Decided I gotten a bit better so headed back to the castle, summoned in 2 randoms for the fight against Margit, whooped his arse, and now im exploring this utterly massive castle. Have I gone ahead too far too early, or am I on the "right" path? There's still a huge open world to check out lmao.

Omnipotent

User requested ban
Banned
Feb 28, 2021

Started the game, explored the open world a bit, but headed in the direction of the big ol Castle right in front of me, managed to get to the big boss fight against Margit, but he was utterly wrecking me so I thought id go back and explore the world a bit. Ended up going all the way south to Morne Castle, and beating Leonine. Decided I gotten a bit better so headed back to the castle, summoned in 2 randoms for the fight against Margit, whooped his arse, and now im exploring this utterly massive castle. Have I gone ahead too far too early, or am I on the "right" path? There's still a huge open world to check out lmao.
You're doing fine, you should probably still explore more around Limgrave though

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017

What I've been doing is going directly towards wherever the Grace is pointing me at, when I hit a wall I go and do some exploration and fighting other stuff, every 4-5 points of interest cleared I head back to the wall and take another couple of shots at it.

I was having a lot of trouble with a boss that resists physical dmg so went looking for an elemental option, I think it was a bad move investing in the Icerind Hatchet...is do damn strong that I'm needing to force myself not to use it to decimate every boss. Drop down an Ash Summon and spam L2 and before the boss turns back to face me it's down 4-6k HP.

Ogawa-san

Nov 1, 2017
I'm just breaking 30 faith at lv48 and I feel my incantations aren't doing enough damage to justify that many points into it, outside bosses that are particularly weak to them.

Maybe it's my catalyst thing? What are you guys using? Somehow, other than the starting one, I only found one so far, that one the big beast guy gave to me that improves beast incantations. I'm guessing I should have something better by now.

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm a new souls/elden ring player, my only experience with these types of games is mortal shell (thanks gamepass) . I didn't really get I to that much (I hated the shell blocking mechanic) , but I think the openworld aspect of elden ring is what is drawing me to take the plunge and buy the game.

For a new player what do people recommend on classes? Magic, shields, 2 handed or abit of everything?

I'm leaning towards samarai because it just looks cool 😎, do all classes get access to all armours? Or if different builds get different looking armours / weapons?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm a new souls/elden ring player, my only experience with these types of games is mortal shell (thanks gamepass) . I didn't really get I to that much (I hated the shell blocking mechanic) , but I think the openworld aspect of elden ring is what is drawing me to take the plunge and buy the game.

For a new player what do people recommend on classes? Magic, shields, 2 handed or abit of everything?

I'm leaning towards samarai because it just looks cool 😎, do all classes get access to all armours? Or if different builds get different looking armours / weapons?

Any class can use any armor, but characters with low Endurance won't be able to use it to its full potential without sacrificing dodge speed.

As far as a recommendation goes, my general advice is that STR/INT seems like the attack stat combo the developers favored most this time around. You can have fun with a dex weapon if you like the Uchigatana but it took me over 50 hours, without exaggeration, to find another katana to replace it with, whereas STR and STR/INT players are getting dropped weapons like candy.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

Check out these articles:

www.ign.com

Beginner's Guide - Basics and Features - Elden Ring Guide - IGN

Elden Ring is an Open World Action RPG from From Software. As a Tarnished, it is your destiny to explore the Lands Between and become an Elden Lord. Elden Ring

https://www.ign.com/wikis/elden-ring/Things_You_Should_Know_in_Elden_Ring

www.ign.com

Classes - Elden Ring Guide - IGN

Elden Ring has 10 starting classes that the player can choose from at the beginning of the game. These classes are all based off different archetypes that will

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
Any class can use any armor, but characters with low Endurance won't be able to use it to its full potential without sacrificing dodge speed.

As far as a recommendation goes, my general advice is that STR/INT seems like the attack stat combo the developers favored most this time around. You can have fun with a dex weapon if you like the Uchigatana but it took me over 50 hours, without exaggeration, to find another katana to replace it with, whereas STR and STR/INT players are getting dropped weapons like candy.

That's great to know thanks, part of the allure of exploration to me is finding new weapons /armours

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Radahn and now gargoyle. Fuck poison, I hate just running bosses until you get a favorable RNG attack pattern to win. I miss sekiro.

I mean Sekiro had the exact same problem. Half the time if the boss didn't do the right string of attacks you never had an actual opportunity to strike back. This is why I got stuck on bosses like Owl and Ape so much.

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
Can someone elaborate on soft caps for stats? Should I stop leveling Strength after 45 or 55 to focus on other stats if I want to biggest bang for my points?

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California

Do what feels right to you. Trust me, the game will not let you get ahead of yourself. From has a way to put you in your place like you going straight to Margit. That was a no no per your skill level or equipment level.

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone elaborate on soft caps for stats? Should I stop leveling Strength after 45 or 55 to focus on other stats if I want to biggest bang for my points?

Let's say you're doing STR and each time you add 1 to it, your Right Weapon damage increases by maybe 3, eventually, I think 45 it might start giving only 2 per level, then 55+ might be 1 per level. It'll always give you more damage, but you might find getting a bit more Endurance or Vigor might be more beneficial, or getting more FP to use better ashes.

Or if your weapon has dual scaling, maybe DEX will start to give more or the same bonus, but also the fall damage buff.

Radamammuth

Dec 8, 2017
What a disappointment that no one reacted on the roundtable after defeating Redahn. Like not word even after what happens.

Oct 27, 2017
noooooooooooooooooooooooo

got the restart steam loop bug thang.. from the cloud saves ;________________________; please someone how to fix it? i really hope my 70 hour save isn't gone.

@)@

steam -_-

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just breaking 30 faith at lv48 and I feel my incantations aren't doing enough damage to justify that many points into it, outside bosses that are particularly weak to them.

Maybe it's my catalyst thing? What are you guys using? Somehow, other than the starting one, I only found one so far, that one the big beast guy gave to me that improves beast incantations. I'm guessing I should have something better by now.
The starting Finger Seal is probably the best one if you use a variety of incantations. All other Seals boost spells of its respective incantation type like fire and so on. I think weapons that scale with Faith feel pretty strong but I'm also finding incarnations to be pretty weak right now. I mostly just use weapon buff ones and the Flame of Frenzy. Flame of Frenzy is pretty damn strong if every volley hits its target and it has a ton of stagger potential. I've staggered bigger bosses twice in like a minute just using a bunch of fully charged Flames of Frenzy whenever I had the chance.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
What a disappointment that no one reacted on the roundtable after defeating Redahn. Like not word even after what happens.

Honestly, from previews and such, the Roundtable sounded more 'involved' with the NPCs doing things and moving around, but honestly, it's been pretty standard souls-type fare so far.

Which isn't terrible, I guess, but a lot of people bail out after a few conversations, and/or don't have much to say in the first place.

noooooooooooooooooooooooo

got the restart steam loop bug thang.. from the cloud saves ;________________________; please someone how to fix it? i really hope my 70 hour save isn't gone.
@)@

Go to the steam client, and in the upper left hand corner, manually click on 'check for updates for steam client' - that fixed the constant 'unable to launch, need to restart the cliient' issue for me.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

Are you leveling your catalyst? I do like 600 damage with the frenzy eye laser from Liurnia at lvl 25 FTH and base catalyst at +14...I think? which is no Bloody Slash but it's ok.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Upgraded my sword from +9 to +14, and went from damaging Astel to about 10% to 60% on my first try afterwards.

Mimic is ridiculous, too.

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, from previews and such, the Roundtable sounded more 'involved' with the NPCs doing things and moving around, but honestly, it's been pretty standard souls-type fare so far.

Which isn't terrible, I guess, but a lot of people bail out after a few conversations, and/or don't have much to say in the first place.

Go to the steam client, and in the upper left hand corner, manually click on 'check for updates for steam client' - that fixed the constant 'unable to launch, need to restart the cliient' issue for me.
giphy.gif
never had to manually update it lol ty<3

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
percepter miriam is the most bullshit enemy in this game so far. Infinite mana, teleport bullshit and insane damage. Luckily manage to kill her the first time but the second fight is so fucking cancer with the llimited area and all enemies surrounding her.
And guess what? No summoning for this fight.
Screw you fromsoft

I just did to her what she was trying to do to me, but I did it faster with the same spell.

Lv 105, I think I'm approaching the end. So far there have been only two bosses I haven't been able to down yet (pure DEX build), both in minor dungeons:
the triple Putrid Crystalians and the double Crucible Knights
Oof

I hear "blunt" is the way to go on these, but I'm not meleeing them with some weak low level mace as a caster. Guess I won't be beating them, because the spear user is obnoxious as FUCK. Can't get a single cast off because the asshole just infinitely hop-pokes at me the entire time.

Also, playing this game to me it feels as if Dark Souls always should have been an open-world game. And I'm not a fan of open-world games in general.
But here it just fits.
The sense of scale is absolutely perfect.
Earlier you only had the huge bosses, and certain levels, but now you get the world and all these enormous bosses and specific locations, it's incredible, I feel so tiny while playing.

I really can't stand most open-world games. This one, at least with my initial playthrough I quite liked, but at the same time very often wished it wasn't so open since I'm literally just riding past worthless-to-fight enemies trying to reach the next destination. It's just a lot of wasted space. At least they do offer legitimate "Dark Souls" experiences throughout, it's just a shame you have to spend so much time doing nothing to get there.

Last edited:

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Let's say you're doing STR and each time you add 1 to it, your Right Weapon damage increases by maybe 3, eventually, I think 45 it might start giving only 2 per level, then 55+ might be 1 per level. It'll always give you more damage, but you might find getting a bit more Endurance or Vigor might be more beneficial, or getting more FP to use better ashes.

Or if your weapon has dual scaling, maybe DEX will start to give more or the same bonus, but also the fall damage buff.

Do we know what the softcap is? Some things require 70 int... To me that is crazy.

Tesser

Writer/Critic at Hardcore Gamer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Man - im like 40 hours in. Still have not found a really good dex weapon. All the cool shit is STR. Idk if im just lucky or if dex weapons are just harder to find or what, but man im regretting dumping points into dex instead of str.

The
Reduvia that drops from the NPC invader near the Murkwater Cave
is a great starting dagger. It was my sole melee weapon during the first 20-30 hours of my time and it's so good to wield. There are some con's to consider though: its scaling only goes to D across STR/DEX/INT and it can't be infused with any AoW but its speed, bleed infliction and ranged bleed skill are so useful.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Did Miyazaki have bad experiences with dogs as a child, or does he just really hate dogs.

Really I just wanna know why I audibly groan every single Fromsoft game whenever I see a dog. Knowing, these will be the most frustrating, common SOB's to deal with.

…Then they went and gave them wings and claws and fire breath.

Anyways, I got Bloody Slash last night after doing some exploration. I can see how it's considered so powerful haha. Am Level 40 and my Wolverine Claws are +7 and already have good Blood Loss, so Slash does feel a little more in line. But I can only imagine if I came across it before any big bosses. It wouldn't become a crutch so to speak, but you bet it'd become a major player since I didn't have Claws yet.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why like 1/3rd of the bosses in this game are just, "Now there are two/three of them."

I just got to the Castle Sol boss and it's really fucking played out at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.