• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kay

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
im fully on the "this is the easiest Souls game yet" camp now, if only for the fact they give you so many tools to make the game as easy as you want it to be. Some of the spirit summons for example are just ridiculous.
the game gets stupidly hard in the end game, much harder than any other souls game by far.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
To me this is the hardest "Souls" Game, not sure how level scaling and new areas work but maybe I bite off more than what I can chew. but then again Seikiro was the easiest for me by far.
For me it's Dark Souls III, Demon's Souls and Sekiro all close together as the easiest.
The framerate made BB a nightmare for me, but still easier than this one by like a hundred fold

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
im fully on the "this is the easiest Souls game yet" camp now, if only for the fact they give you so many tools to make the game as easy as you want it to be. Some of the spirit summons for example are just ridiculous.
Yeah i'm like 25-30 hours in and it's one of the easier ones if not the easiest.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Cripes, Mohg feels like a fight explicitly designed for tanky greatshields and strong weapons where you only get time to swing once anyway and focus on poise breaking
Meanwhile It's like chipping away at a wall for me over here with miniscule downtime between attacks so I can poke him in the ribs with one whole scythe swing.
If an ash summon can do well, I may be blessed with one crit opportunity. This is the kind of boss I'd usually do solo, but fuck it, I'm getting WRECKED.

In some ways it reminds me of Margit but for 40 hours later in the game, sweeps, SWEEEEEEEPS, delayed SWEEEEPS
and the tracking, this guy has evolved the art of tracking, he now applies it to combustion incantation.

Can't even get much good out my summons because they like to bathe in that scarlet fire
I feel like I must be missing something, I thought on one run I'd found the secret sauce by cracking open that chest mid fight, like he was about to go through some seath crystal shenanigans, but nah, just early treasure I guess as compensation for my 12 deaths on one session, that's it, I'm done for the night, he's broken me.
And that's saying something because I fought a certain duo boss in the underworld area earlier who drove me nuts

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
I've died more in one playthrough than my 2 playthroughs on Demon's Souls and 5 on Dark Souls III last year lmao

Janus

Oct 18, 2020
the game gets stupidly hard in the end game, much harder than any other souls game by far.

When does endgame in Elden Ring start in your opinion? (Please put it into spoiler tag)

I've reached the Mountaintops and it doesn't seem to have changed much in terms of difficulty so far. Could change, though.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I mean he literally points that out if you talk to him.

he basically talks about the fact you can SEE it, but the route to GET there is what he can't find.

Ah I must have missed that.

I was too busy trying to read the whole thing before one of the aggro'd minotaurs reached us -__-

That boss... Jesus I'm not beating anytime soon.

That dude is harder than anything else I've fought in the game bar none. My +16 hammer barely damages him. Not even the main boss of the area was as hard.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Ah I must have missed that.

I was too busy trying to read the whole thing before one of the aggro'd minotaurs reached us -__-

That dude is harder than anything else I've fought in the game bar none. My +16 hammer barely damages him. Not even the main boss of the area was as hard.
I got him to 50% once, then I got AOE'd oneshot, jolly

Kay

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
When does endgame in Elden Ring start in your opinion? (Please put it into spoiler tag)

I've reached the Mountaintops and it doesn't seem to have changed much in terms of difficulty so far. Could change, though.
thats about where i'd say the difficulty starts to spike

edit: not spike, where it starts to ramp up dramatically.

Pat_DC

Oct 27, 2017
ooh thanks for the info, see i was already misinformed, thanks for the clarification. I think I'll be choosing the samurai and see how it goes. without specifics and without taking too much time out of your day, anything you would like to let me know before i go on my first ever fromsoft journey, other than good luck and have fun :P?
No worries, I'm not amazing at these games but still have fun.
My takes while trying to remain spoiler free:

- Do not feel like you are meant to defeat an obviously bigger enemy because they are there in front of you. The point is being able to go off and just explore and discover things to come back
- There are encounters that seem like you have do them early on, do not forget you can run/ride past them

- Read the pop up tutorials, they mostly explain the starting mechanics that will help a lot if you leave them on, which they are by default
- At the start take a chance and do what a NPC character tells you, it will help you understand some mechanics

- There are sites of grace where you rest, level up etc, if you are wondering where to go next if you want to progress the actual game they have lights/particles showing you the direction to go in

- Take combat slow and don't sweat dying, all part of learning an an area or enemy

- As you progress, mapping items that you use a lot to the shortcuts are handy. You use these by holding triangle (not sure about Xbox) and clicking a d-pad direction. You assign these by hitting start then going over the RHS and assigning items to a direction by clicking (I think) triangle, then you select what you want in the items menu. For example I have an important traversal item mapped to right on my d-pad.

And ah, good luck and have fun :)

Last edited:

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Where's the
divine tower for rykard's rune?

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Have people entered the walking fortresses? The ones that have bells underneath them.

Why are they close to each other and why do they all do the same thing? You'd think you only need one fortress to do "remembrance" but they had 2-3 walking by each other.

Oct 25, 2017
Magic and Mimic Tear ash are hard carrying my bumass. I had to respec to lower my Dex and up my Int. No clue how I beat DS 1-3, Bloodborne, and Sekiro. I'm so awful at these games, I have the response time of a fucking snail, but I always find a way to bullshit a win.

Thank you rock sling and Mimic Tear for making those bullshit twin gargoyles beatable because otherwise I would've thrown my controller against the wall. Now I need to tackle that annoying ass Crucible Knight, this guy is giving me a significantly harder time than Radahn did. Radahn was a cakewalk compared to this asshole because I can't distract him with all those summons.

Omnipotent

User requested ban
Banned
Feb 28, 2021
That's exciting to hear.
Melania and Mohg in particular I like a lot and think they're cooler and more engaging fights than the likes of stuff like Maria, Orphan of Kos, Nameless King, and most if not all of the big fights that people say are From's best, the former in particular. I also really liked Fire Giant and think its a far more interesting boss than say Soul of Cinder, Gehrman, etc and its not even the final boss.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
FM80rN8X0AYwj7X

OrangePulp

Jul 21, 2020
For all the talk of difficulty, folks should remember that a lot of it also has to do with what build you run, and what equipment you've found/chosen to use. The latter is especially variable in this game compared to previous souls games, given the open world structure. There's going to be some stuff that's just... much stronger than others; there was some earlier discussion about the blood slash ashes of war being very powerful, and from what I've seen of some other folks' gameplay, Moonveil katana does incredible damage. Shields make some enemies a joke but are kinda worthless on others, magic can trivialize some encounters (especially with spirit summons to tank), etc. In the end personal skill trumps a lot of that, but I feel like in general the game's difficulty is somewhat a roll of the dice if you're going in blind.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
ooh thanks for the info, see i was already misinformed, thanks for the clarification. I think I'll be choosing the samurai and see how it goes. without specifics and without taking too much time out of your day, anything you would like to let me know before i go on my first ever fromsoft journey, other than good luck and have fun :P?

Check out these two articles. They are spoiler free but contain links to other pages that may contain spoilers.

www.ign.com

Beginner's Guide - Basics and Features - Elden Ring Guide - IGN

Elden Ring is an Open World Action RPG from From Software. As a Tarnished, it is your destiny to explore the Lands Between and become an Elden Lord. Elden Ring

www.ign.com

Things You Should Know in Elden Ring - Elden Ring Guide - IGN

Elden Ring is the latest From Software game, and while it is not a sequel to the Dark Souls series, it does share many similarities - as well as many new

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Cleared most if not all of Weaping Peninsula tonight. Probably the weakest area so far and i was overleveled too but it still had some nice surprises.

Another chest teleported me to Leyndell(?)
Once again i am blown away by a new location and the music was excellent too.

Now it's finally time to go north of Stormveil Castle

Vidpixel

Oct 27, 2017
I highly recommend everyone assign Torrent to their pouch instead of wasting space in the item queue.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017

I'm looking forward to your reaction to some of the late game bosses then.

Emerald

Oct 25, 2017
If you aren't a decent amount of distance away from her before she starts that you're straight up fucked.
How I did it was you basically have to run like hell away from the first set of attacks (it's impossible to roll and dodge the first set), if you perfectly time your roll for the second set, you can get by without getting hit, and rolling under her while shes in the air, you can dodge her third set usually.

It's an insane attack, and I wouldn't be surprised if they change something about it because her doing it right next to you is impossible to fully avoid the first part of it (unless a shield would help,maybe)

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ok last question, what do you do with the npc in red at the table of lost graces. The one in the room past the bell ladies

blainethemono

Oct 27, 2017
Ok so, how does death and losing runes work exactly? The info says that if you don't recover them before your next death. But I still have an icon on my map in some dungeon where I died. Also, is it part of the 'Souls' experience to make it that you can't run in, get the runes and run out? They are behind a boss encounter mist (which only appeared after the first encounter) and I can't beat it nor grab the runes and run, so shit out of luck? Same happened with Marit at Stormveil.

Is there any option to hide the compass/damage numbers without hiding the entire UI?

It has to be said, performance on series x is quite atrocious. While smooth in some spots, there are so many dips and constant stutters.

if you quit the game inside of a boss encounter you'll reload back outside the fog door. so just run in, grab your runes and quit out

Quade

Mar 8, 2019
I think From went a bit overboard with some of the mid-late game fights, probably because of the open nature of the game but they didn't need to make these bosses so strong and it shows when there are camera problems or framerate hiccups
I agree. Seems like they were designing a spectacle over something that is actually fun to play. Up to now I haven't found any of the boss fights all that great, although Radahn easily tops the worst thus far, but I play for the exploration because wow is this world a delight.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Wth I played for 2 or so hours last night, rerolled as a Hero. Played through the Tutorial, got Tempest, the wolf summon, explored a bit of the opening area.

I get off work and boot up the game, and find that I'm right back at the exit from the tutorial area with zero progress saved.

Huge bummer and I have no idea how when I sat at multiple bonfires plus did a manual save when I quit at 2am. This is on PC btw.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Man, the dragon fights so far, after the first one of course for the novelty, are incredibly boring and repetitive. Maybe there are some i havent seen yet that are different, but tis just like, hit and run on horse and chunk out small amounts of damage and dont get hit by one of their 4 very predictable moves (likely by running into some random obstacle or the game stuttering during a dragons move). And if one of those very infuriating ways to die happen, you get to spend another 20 minutes trying to very slowly wittle away the health.

I wouldnt be surprised if Im missing soemthing about a more interesting way to fight them, but so far this is my only successful method w my heavily melee build. I wouldnt mind it as much if there were variety in the fights.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Québec, Canada
FINALLY BEAT

Radahn

Took me 2 freaking days of tries. This guy is gonna gatekeep for a lot of people I fear.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Just compared some of the clips from my DSIII playthrough last year and the difference of the HP of enemies is really considerable, I was doing almost double the HP length with each R1 attack than in this game with the same stat allocation, I'd say the HP of these bosses is between Gael and Midir(that one is ridiculous)

javac

Oct 28, 2017
Explore, and don't be afraid to Google and wiki. Some of the things almost csnt be known off unless you Google or wiki it. One of my few dislikes.

But yea apart from thst just go out and enjoy it :)

No worries, I'm not amazing at these games but still have fun.
My takes:
- Do not feel like you are meant to defeat an obviously bigger enemy because they are there in front of you. The point is being able to go off and just explore and discover things to come back
- There are encounters that seem like you have do them early on, do not forget you can run/ride past them
- Read the pop up tutorials, they mostly explain the starting mechanics that will help a lot
- At the start take a chance and do what a NPC character tells you, it will help you understand some mechanics
- There are sites of grace where you rest, level up etc, if you are wondering where to go next if you want to progress the actual game they have lights/particles showing you the direction to go in
- Take combat slow and don't sweat dying, all part of learning an an area or enemy
- As you progress, mapping items that you use a lot to the shortcuts are handy. You use these by holding triangle (not sure about Xbox) and clicking a d-pad direction. You assign these by hitting start then going over the RHS and assigning items to a direction by clicking (I think) triangle, then you select what you want in the items menu. For example I have an important traversal item mapped to right on my d-pad.

And ah, good luck and have fun :)
Thank you very much for the help and advise! I will keep all of these things in mind. It's honestly been a while since I've been this excited (and scared!) to start a new game in years. I'm just gonna try to enjoy myself and not beat myself up over any hurdles or obstacles, explore, take it at my own pace and enjoy myself! My main trepidation with these games has always been "whats the best way to enjoy these games" and "how to min/max everything" but i'm just going to try and go and do what feels right instead of worrying about whats the "best" way to do things, that feeling of the unknown is what's both scaring and exciting me lol. However I'll defo make sure to come back here if I get stuck! There's probably a lot of jargon and whatnot that will be new to me, and certain things that i'm still wondering about. Hopefully I can impress my brother once he's back from uni, he platinums all these games and has always wanted me to jump into one lol.

Check out these two articles. They are spoiler free but contain links to other pages that may contain spoilers.

www.ign.com

Beginner's Guide - Basics and Features - Elden Ring Guide - IGN

Elden Ring is an Open World Action RPG from From Software. As a Tarnished, it is your destiny to explore the Lands Between and become an Elden Lord. Elden Ring

www.ign.com

Things You Should Know in Elden Ring - Elden Ring Guide - IGN

Elden Ring is the latest From Software game, and while it is not a sequel to the Dark Souls series, it does share many similarities - as well as many new
Thanks for taking the time to find these links for me, I will check these out for sure!

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
FINALLY BEAT

Radahn

Took me 2 freaking days of tries. This guy is gonna gatekeep for a lot of people I fear.

Yeah. Overall I think the fight is just overtuned for how important it is. He should be an optional boss at the END of a route instead of right in the middle of one.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
I agree. Seems like they were designing a spectacle over something that is actually fun to play. Up to now I haven't found any of the boss fights all that great, although Radahn easily tops the worst thus far, but I play for the exploration because wow is this world a delight.
Same, I like the fight visuals but besides some bosses like the red wolf and Renala they kinda went overboard, Godrick is great too tho, the rest of them I have mixed thoughts

Megapighead

May 2, 2018
Took me about five hours, but I managed to finally beat
Radahn
solo, without summons. Was level 58. Definitely one of the hardest FROM bosses.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I don't agree, I went from getting my ass handed to me in the beginning to beating nearly every boss on my first try towards the end of the game. I was charging into over world boss battles taking on everything I could because I was so over powered. There are some seriously powerful tools at your disposal in Elden Ring.

katsu044

Mar 1, 2021
canada
Only did Godrik as the main boss. I'll keep an eye on you can spoil the character I don't mind.
Rhadan is the one and unsure if you wanted the npc name dropped but its a certain witch you've met has a long quest all related to that place
im saving this for later because i have no clue if i can actually get it all done without looking it up lol

Status
Not open for further replies.